• Work Permit Rejected for EU Citizens in the UK Prior to January 2021.

CosmicCreepers
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

As the title. Players with EU citizenships who have been in the UK prior to January 2021 have to apply for work permits on the game, and are not guaranteed to get them.

As far as I understand the rules, the player would have already had to apply for a settlement scheme, and their rights to live and work in the UK would be protected as part of the EU withdrawal agreement. This would mean that until the player moves away from the UK, they should automatically be granted a work permit if they are staying within the UK?

The example I have is signing a player here (Elisha Sam) who signed for Notts County in August 2020. He now fails to get a work permit when i am signing him from Notts County to Hamilton Academical, on the basis of not passing the points based visa system (which is for people who are moving to the UK after 1st January 2021).

I imagine the same problem occurs when renewing any EU citizens contract or transferring any EU citizen within the UK who was in the UK prior to that date.

• Steps To Reproduce:
      Load the game, and take controller of the Hamilton manager (its a multiplayer game), you will see the rejected work permit.
      Alternatively, renew a contract or sign an EU player who will not pass points based criteria but was playing in the UK prior to 1st January 2021.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Spent a bit of time trying to get my head around this one. This seemed like a good source of information: The Brexit Effect on Football.pdf (brabners.com)

It'll be QA who will look into this and determine whether its working correctly or not, however, to get settled status you would need 5 years in the UK otherwise you get pre-settled status. Based on the reading I've done pre-settled status means you can continue to work as long as the visa remains valid. I don't know if transferring clubs would count as needing a new visa and therefore being subject to the new rules or not. Some reading suggests while subtle, Scotland on a non-football level, has some small differences from the UK visa which could necessitate re-applying. Previously, when transferring clubs under the old system you would have to apply for a new work permit but in many instances that could be a formality upon appeal if a player no longer automatically qualified. 

One to look into, but may require a bit of further research to fully understand what should be the correct situation.

Pre-Settled status means you can continue to work within the UK without restriction as long as you don't break a certain set of criteria needed to gain settled status (i.e. the rules about how long you are able to spend away from the UK in a set time period). It's nothing to do with a visa as these people were in the country without a visa in the first place, they were in the country on the basis of their rights as EU citizens. The pre-settled status was introduced to allow these people to retain those rights until they hit the threshold to be able to apply for the rights of a settled status. They do not have to apply for a visa, and the pre-settled status is a substitute for a visa.

What is also a little bit silly about it is: I decided to go ahead with the signing without a work permit anyway and edit on an English nationality with the in-game editor as a work around for this. Before I edited on the nationality, the player was showing in my squad as "Settled" status, you should be able to replicate that yourself by completing the transfer on the save.

• Administrators

We're aware of this and working towards a solution, appreciate you testing this yourself too. :)

Currently they retain their settled status but the work permit is processed regardless.