• Cannot offer "similar terms"

BuffaloPhil
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

Playing in the National League South, the rules say "Under-24 players must be offered similar terms before the third Saturday in May or four days after their last match in the season (whichever comes later) otherwise no compensation will be due if they sign for other clubs."

My problem therefore is that if a player refuses to negotiate, it doesn't count as being offered similar terms - even if I'm prepared to offer much better terms. So I end up losing good players for no compensation. And, because it seems other teams don't have the same mechanics of interaction with the players, anyone I'm trying to sign comes with a hefty compensation fee that I can't afford. The two together are really frustrating and don't seem fair.

I should be able to offer a player the terms that would trigger compensation, even if they instantly refuse it.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

My save game is actually using a custom database, so I'm not sure it's worth uploading it (of course I can if you wish). But the rules remain the same in the vanilla game, and certainly it's a common situation for players to refuse to negotiate, particularly if you're a small club and a bigger club is showing an interest in them. That is quite reasonable - it's just the mechanics of the game that prevent me from even making an offer that are the problem.

Game uploaded as "Wimborne."

I've gone on about a season from when I specifically noticed the issue. The player I was unable to keep was Max Thompson, who joined Sunderland without me getting any compensation, and there were various young players that I couldn't sign because the compensation was prohibitive although I can't remember who they were specifically.

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

There is a lot more to go on to than just the stated rule in the opening post - contract length, contract type...

Some players you might be put off by compensation fees, but if you search for players that are "Set to Release > Yes" (and are on Youth Contracts, for example), you'll be able to sign them for no compensation, just a small percentage of next transfer :) (usually those players are set to be released around April - May each year)

So, in a custom DB, and a full season after the mentioned Max Thompson deal has been, it's hard to make a call on why you didn't get anything for him.

If it occurs again, it would be helpful to upload a save before the AI team makes an offer for the player - anything between a day or a week before is fine :) 

Kind regards,

Vik

I appreciate that it's difficult to get anything from that save, and it's not that I have a problem with paying compensation where it's appropriate, or in not getting compensation for players that I've chosen to release.

But I don't think I'm getting my point across well. The issue is that the game mechanics don't allow me to make an offer if the player doesn't want to, which is unrealistic. In real life, in that situation, a club will still make him an offer even if they know that he won't even consider it, because then they'll get that compensation. And the player cannot stop the club making that offer. If the rule regarding compensation is dependent on the club making an offer, then the game needs to allow the club to make an offer.