Wing Tactic Based on 2-6-2

Version 2 (latest version)

This is the second version of my wing based tactic. I have made extensive tweeks to the passing and closing down sliders as well as adding a defensive formation to the set.

Top teams

The team plays an attracive continental style passing game with more width on the standard and attacking sets. Although the formation looks very attacking to experienced FM players I find that it works the same way a 4-4-2 set used to work post FM 2009. This is due to the way the farrows and barrows work.

Lower League teams

With this tactic I have run away with the league using top teams. I have also had some success with lower league teams although you may want to pull the wingers back into the MR/ML positions. Additionally you may also want to change the passing to around the 13 mark for all players (i.e. much more direct but still not long ball).

Results

League (2 games to go and playing reserves for last month as I was so far in front)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1360/75385540.jpg

Man Unt result:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6126/92192341.jpg

Downloads

Standard version

http://files.filefront.com/Clampos+WP+V2+Standardtac/;13666053;/fileinfo.html

Defensive Version

http://files.filefront.com/Clampos+WP+V2+Defensivetac/;13666064;/fileinfo.html

Attacking Version

http://files.filefront.com/Clampos+WP+V2+Attackingtac/;13666070;/fileinfo.html

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Version 1 (old version)

After leaving this tactic for some time and failing to find a good set for 9.3.0 I have come back to this tactic and so far I have found it is working very well on the new patch. I have tested it with a top team and I was able to turn my season around winning the treble including a european competition.

Outline

This is a tactical set based on the 2-6-2 theory that produces some great results combined with stylish play.

The standard version of this tactic has been tested using Arsenal with great success. I have recently added the attacking version and results so far have been encouraging when it is used against weaker opposition or when you need a goal.

Formation:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4112/tactic.jpg

Team Instructions

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6200/instructionsz.jpg

Download Link

Standard:

http://files.filefront.com/Clampos+Wing+Play+Standardtac/;13207854;/fileinfo.html

Attacking:

http://files.filefront.com/Clampos+Wing+Play+Attackigtac/;13207794;/fileinfo.html

I have previosly been using Matts TTF set and Jay-Producers effective wing play so some of this may have been influenced by those tactics although mostly I have tried to follow the TTF guidelines. If there are similarities that is just where I have come from. Some aspects such as the global passing which I find works well was directly inspired by the wing play tactic so thanks for the inspiration.

Whilst the formation looks very attacking, I have conceded very few goals.

Good wingers are obviously essential. I have a strong striker to hold the ball up on the left and a fast good finisher on the right or your left striker could be set to free role if you find him getting low ratings. Fast defenders always help. The right central midfielder is quite attacking but on the standard set I have left his forward runs to mixed to make sure the midfield is not lost.

The tactic, as I say, conceeds very few goals and controls possesion well. I may develop a defensive tacic designed to hold the ball, dominate possesion and create only a few chances but for now I dont feel I need it.

• 1 month later...

After a long break I have gone back and finished this tactic as it is seems to work much better on the 9.3.0 patch. It is the only tactic I have found gives me consistant results. If nobody posts here or downloads the tactic I may start a new thread as feedback would be great.

Edit: If someone could tell me how I will put up some screenshots. I just need to know how to take them. Cheers

Press print screen button on your keyboard, open Paint and then Edit - Paste and save picture as JPG or JPEG, please avoid PNG or BMP, go to imageshack.us and upload it, you will then get link to it.

Looking forward to see it ;)

Cheers for that Ill get right on it.

To be honest I wouldn't dare to play like that :D Concerning number of views don't be bothered as 95% of people are just sweeping through threads to find new Diablo hehe

Maybe if you try it with worse team and get some results it may attract people to it.

To be honest I wouldn't dare to play like that :D Concerning number of views don't be bothered as 95% of people are just sweeping through threads to find new Diablo hehe

Maybe if you try it with worse team and get some results it may attract people to it.

I know what you mean but the thing is I find that I concede very few goals. It looks very attacking but I find it well balanced. I plan to keep testing with arsenal then see how I get on with a lower league team.

I've tried almost everything for me first division Finnish club Atlantis and nothing is working for me! So i'll give this a go although from the screenshots I'd take a guess that this is a tactic for quality players rather than obscuro-Finns :)

Let me know how you get on. The passing is on the short side of the slider so if you struggle that might be a tweak depending on your players passing skill.

hi clampos,

as I am a big fan of matts ttf tactic, but after 9.3 didnt worked so well anymore, i am going to try yr tactic.

is there any advise when and why to use "standard" and "attacking"?

thanks

My self-thought tactic turned out to be almost similar to yours when I was checking your team and player instructions (same formation, with a few tweaks here and there, but no major differences). I am quite sure that the tactic works well because I am at 22-0-0 currently playing Manchester United in my seventh season.

Even though I did not technically test your tactic per se, it's like testing my own already :D

Hi Clampos,

ive used only "attacking" until now for the last 4 games in my current season. playing german 1st Bundesliga. team is quite strong and we are sitting on 2nd place. title is nearly impossible.

my results:

1. Home against Dortmund (3rd) - 6:0 (demolished)

2. Away against Hamburg (10th) - 1:1 (we had more chances & possession, just failed to score)

3. Home against Karlsruhe (14th) - 2:1 (we are better team, lots of chances)

4. Away against Wolfsburg (12th) - 0:1 (we are the worse team, they play 3-5-2 and we never gain possession -> 44% finally)

as said, just used "attacking" version. have to try next season with the standard one.

the attacking one, is nice to watch, but getting many fouls and also lots of offsides. against the 3-5-2 system, we had no chance in the midfield.

Hi Clampos,

ive used only "attacking" until now for the last 4 games in my current season. playing german 1st Bundesliga. team is quite strong and we are sitting on 2nd place. title is nearly impossible.

my results:

1. Home against Dortmund (3rd) - 6:0 (demolished)

2. Away against Hamburg (10th) - 1:1 (we had more chances & possession, just failed to score)

3. Home against Karlsruhe (14th) - 2:1 (we are better team, lots of chances)

4. Away against Wolfsburg (12th) - 0:1 (we are the worse team, they play 3-5-2 and we never gain possession -> 44% finally)

as said, just used "attacking" version. have to try next season with the standard one.

the attacking one, is nice to watch, but getting many fouls and also lots of offsides. against the 3-5-2 system, we had no chance in the midfield.

Sounds like a good start. As I said above I nearly always go into a game with the standard tactic so let me know how you get on with that next season. The attacking tactic will really try to stretch teams so the offsides might be expected. The players also try very hard to get the ball back so that might explain the fouls. Having siad that though you have still conceded less than a goal a game and scored on average over 2 a game so it looks like the set might work well for you. Thanks for the update.

My self-thought tactic turned out to be almost similar to yours when I was checking your team and player instructions (same formation, with a few tweaks here and there, but no major differences). I am quite sure that the tactic works well because I am at 22-0-0 currently playing Manchester United in my seventh season.

Even though I did not technically test your tactic per se, it's like testing my own already :D

Thanks for that I find it does produce an attractive game and is a solid tactic. I dont know about you but I find the DM really adds a great deal of defensive solidity. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried almost everything for me first division Finnish club Atlantis and nothing is working for me! So i'll give this a go although from the screenshots I'd take a guess that this is a tactic for quality players rather than obscuro-Finns

That's soooo often the problem with these tactics "case studies" - the teams being tested are worldclass, top teams and people often confuse success from a tactic with success from having better players. I can play almost any tactic and win in the EPL with Man Utd or Arsenal. But what about Woking and Darlington?

This is what I was asking though. I have found this tactic works much better than some of the established tactics for me. The next stage is to test on a lower league team and then to adapt as needed. I dont have loads of time so I was wondering if anybody else had done this. I think its quite well known that the game is easier (or rather the tactics needed are more basic less attacking perhaps) with smaller clubs. Post 9.3 I dont think as many of the tactics are as effective on big teams anyway.

I've recently started feeling like I'm running out of options with my Arsenal squad so I'll give this a go. Considering the players I have, they seem to fit the right criteria for these tactics.

Great. Let me know. Its worked for me when none of the other well established tactics havent worked since the new patch. I'm also testing on lower league right now.

Having palayed on a little longer I have made a few tweeks (these depend on your players).

I now put both strikers as free role. They seem to work much better together and score more goals.

Alternatively you can put the support striker onto hold up ball if he is strong enough.

I have also been developing a defensive tactic although I dont find this is as effective as with previous patches.

Also on a final note: Some of the posters above suggested that they would never use such an agressive formation. Just remember though that in 08 the farrows on the wingers had the effect of turning a 4-4-2 formation into a a 4-2-2-2 formation for at least 50% of the time. So really this is similar to many 4-4-2 tactics in '08.

I have updated to the V2 of this tactic. Everything works much better now. I have also added a defensive tactic whcih is great for getting the tough away result. In addition there are instructions for lower league teams.

Archived