FM10 Tactics Ideas - Time for the sliders to go...

Hello all,

I think it's time the sliders went from the tactics screen. It is far too unrealistic

The sliders are ridiculous and the fact they nessecitate detailed explanation (in the form of TT&F) proves they are bad design. I think it's time for a more 'verbal' approach to tactics... for example, do you think Harry Redknapp asks Jenas to close down in his own half by three notches? Or that Hughes says to Robinho, 'mate, can you be 5 notches to the right of normal with your creativity?'

A far more realistic option would be to revamp the tactics so that these little incriments are dealt with behind the scenes.

For example, take Veloso, if I play him in the DMC postion on the position screen his role is implied already. You want him to be defensive... you could then add options to tailor his role to what you want...

Imagine the individual player instructions being a bit like the drop down boxes... so you'd put Veloso in the DMC position, select him, then from drop downs select other variants such as 'shield the back four', 'make runs into opponents box'. Or for wingers like Lennon 'cut inside', full backs stuff like 'overlap wingers', 'support the attackers', 'play defensively'. For strikers/forwards stuff like 'flick on headers', 'play on the shoulder', 'come deep to recieve the ball'. Attacking midfielders 'run into the box', etc etc etc. I wouldn't restrict the number of options you can give a player, but obviously giving conflicting instructions would be counter-productive. I suppose you could keep certain sliders that would still be useful... but the mentality and creative freedom ones need to go.

Having this 'verbal' approach would be so much more realistic and that way you could easily get your players to play the role you want, rather than the haphazard trial and error of moving sliders around...

Your thoughts?

How would you improve the tactical interface of FM10?

I dont think there would be enough options in these drop-down boxes though mate and it would make the game far too easy.

If you think about exactly what it is you want your player to do, then interpreting it into sliders isnt that difficult. Just watch a couple of games (full games) and if for e.g the players isnt coming forward enough, make a slight change and see what changes it does, then carry on adjusting until your happy.

But don't you think the sliders are just massively, massively unrealistic?

I don't think a verbal approach would make the game too easy at all. It would take a bit of the megalomaniacle control away from the us but would make it a billion times more life-like.

Fifa manager 2009 has 'a verbal approach'. It is an EPIC FAILURE. Honestly.

It is far far far too easy. I bought it a week before FM09 came out, played about 10 games on it, won them all, turned it off and haven't touched it since.

I am also deeply dissapointed by SI´s decision to have sliders left. I´m not going to buy the next version if they resist on keeping this "Visual Basic" code that vast majority of users doesnt understand anyway.

My suggestion is to SI to make a "lite" version of FM10 to rest of the 99% that doesnt want to sit and watch every game 90 minutes and sack those people that are responsible of the tactical aspects of the game.

Couple of days ago i checked FM version of PlayStation Portable, it looked like much more fun than this monster called FM09....

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and struggle a bit to comprehend why anyone would oppose such a change. SI have created the best football manager match engine ever devised, so any comparisons to other so called sims are not valid. It isn't about making the game itself easier. Football is hard and consequently FM is hard. If SI tweak the interface to more closely represent the real world and how you would talk to the players, it would be a truly amazing experience. I think the resistance to the proposed redesign seems to stem from a notion that this will make the game easier. That is not the point.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and struggle a bit to comprehend why anyone would oppose such a change. SI have created the best football manager match engine ever devised, so any comparisons to other so called sims are not valid. It isn't about making the game itself easier. Football is hard and consequently FM is hard. If SI tweak the interface to more closely represent the real world and how you would talk to the players, it would be a truly amazing experience. I think the resistance to the proposed redesign seems to stem from a notion that this will make the game easier. That is not the point.

My objections to it come from a simple notion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The sliders work fine as it is. Mentality is a representation of how "attack minded" the player is. Want him to be more attacking, move the slider up. Want him to act more defensive, move it down. Nice and simple. Creative freedom's the same - it's a representation of how rigidly you want your tactics to be followed. If you want your player to stick to your orders in every situation, give him very low CF. Want him to follow them most of the time, but have the freedom to make his own choices if the situation requires it? Set it to the middle. Want him to go out and do his thing? Set it high.

I'm not saying that everything about the system is perfect (my biggest beef is that global mentality is overriden by individuals, so there's no way to make my entire team change mentalilty without moving 11 sliders, ideally they would work together, so gloabl modifies indiviual or vice-versa), but the core mechanics are fine, so I see no reason to change them. The "solution" posted by the OP is just unnecessaary.

The sliders aren't difficult to understand. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it is over-complicated and not realistic in the slightest. It isn't difficult to understand what they are for, but it IS difficult to understand how much of a difference each notch makes, something that the game manual does not make remotely clear, and hence the need for a 50 page document rubber stamped by SI... which in itself is pretty damning... if SI need to endores a 50 page 'how to use the tactics' thing then that is pretty poor design.

The fact you have x amount of notches on a slider is ridiculous. In real life you don't ask a player to play with a more attacking mentality in incriments. You give a player freedom to play his own game in incriments.

If what we are striving for is a realistic management sim then the tactics need looking at. I remember the uproar when they removed the with/without interface, but now people have accepted the change and most agree that it's more realistic. The same will happen if/when SI improve it again.

There are 3 big notches for mentality. Attacking, Normal, Defensive. Different degrees of these are all the different notches are. It's not that hard really.

I don't really like the sliders either to be honest. I much prefer the with and without ball of old. No chance of them coming around again though. :(

Right, I don't see what's so difficult to understand about what I'm saying...

Like I said in the original post, you wouldn't say to Beckham 'Becks, I want you to play witha mentality 2 notches into attacking. Terry, can you play 4 notches up from the lowest mentality please? Rooney, I would like you to be 2 notches higher than normal with your creative freedom'.

In real life there aren't x degrees of attacking mentality. It comes down to what the player and manager interpret as an attacking mentality. Some players are naturally more attacking minded or more aggressive with their attacking than others.

Thus it is unrealistic.

Also, there is no explantion anywhere as to what degree of difference each increase in notch makes. It is trial and error at best, requiring 50 pages of explanation at worst.

Said this before. People take the sliders far to literally.

They're a tool SI have used to translate what you would ask the players to do in real life onto the game.

This is how sad I am. Replying to my own posts....

Read the above! If you want it to reflect real life accurately, I'm sure eventually Nintendo will invent a game similar to Rock star where the user gets to sit in his armchair with a microphone used for barking out team instructions, and a pointing stick.

Right, I don't see what's so difficult to understand about what I'm saying...

Like I said in the original post, you wouldn't say to Beckham 'Becks, I want you to play witha mentality 2 notches into attacking. Terry, can you play 4 notches up from the lowest mentality please? Rooney, I would like you to be 2 notches higher than normal with your creative freedom'.

In real life there aren't x degrees of attacking mentality. It comes down to what the player and manager interpret as an attacking mentality. Some players are naturally more attacking minded or more aggressive with their attacking than others.

Thus it is unrealistic.

Also, there is no explantion anywhere as to what degree of difference each increase in notch makes. It is trial and error at best, requiring 50 pages of explanation at worst.

Oh for......

The manager will say "Becks, I want you to play a bit more attacking". The FM player ups the mentality. The manager says "Terry, I want you to stay back and defend". The FM player puts his mentality to 3 and gives him no FWR. The manager says "Rooney, you're at your best when you just go out and play how you want". The FM player gives him high CF and maybe a Free Role.

Now maybe it's be better if FM had full voice recgonition as well as the ability to interpret meanings. But, needless to say, that's not going to happen. So instead, there has to be a system that allows you to translate real mangerial actions into a form that a computer program can recognise. And the sliders do this very well. They're not a perfect match for real life managerial instructions, but I cannot think of any possible way that a game could be.

Sure, the difference between 3 notches up and 4 notches up might not immediately be obvious, but the general way the sliders work is. The tools at your disposal are not incomprehensible. Picking up the basics of how they work is easy. Sure, it takes longer to learn the intricacies of every different variation, but thats good. If Dave Turner down the park could understand straight away the intricacies of real football management, why are managers paid so much?

The manager will say "Becks, I want you to play a bit more attacking". The FM player ups the mentality.

How many notches?

The manager says "Terry, I want you to stay back and defend". The FM player puts his mentality to 3 and gives him no FWR.

Why 3? Why not 2 or 1 or 4? Thats the problem with these sliders.

The manager says "Rooney, you're at your best when you just go out and play how you want". The FM player gives him high CF and maybe a Free Role.

High craeativity i understand, but is it 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19? How do you decide?

How many notches?

Why 3? Why not 2 or 1 or 4? Thats the problem with these sliders.

High craeativity i understand, but is it 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19? How do you decide?

Experience. Plain and simple. You learn by trying things. Exactly how managers learn in real life. They get the basics from their coaching training, and watching other managers and so on, then they learn the details form experience.

This is represented in game by the sliders. If you just pick up the game, then you know that putting the mentaility slider low makes a player defensive. So you set it to 4 Maybe you'll get lucky and get it spot on first time, some RL managers do, but generally, you'll notice something's not quite right, so you experiment to find out what the better settings are. And after trying things, you find that the best setting for the defenders you have is, say, 3, with a higher closing down.

A RL manager might notice that his defenders are acting too attack minded - maybe pushing up "libero" style, or just simply being too risky with their distribution (trying to play through balls and so on). So he asks them to stay back, and only play "safe" passes.

Experience. Plain and simple. You learn by trying things.

For me it just random, sometimes it works sometimes it wont. Add the fact that every version of FM completely changes the way ME works....

This is represented in game by the sliders. If you just pick up the game, then you know that putting the mentaility slider low makes a player defensive. So you set it to 4 Maybe you'll get lucky and get it spot on first time, some RL managers do, but generally, you'll notice something's not quite right, so you experiment to find out what the better settings are. And after trying things, you find that the best setting for the defenders you have is, say, 3, with a higher closing down.

Thats means watching the games 90 minutes, thats exactly what i DO NOT want. Whats the point playing a game than? Thats the biggest problem with this game, absolutely no feedback on what you are doing.

For me it just random, sometimes it works sometimes it wont. Add the fact that every version of FM completely changes the way ME works....

Thats means watching the games 90 minutes, thats exactly what i DO NOT want. Whats the point playing a game than? Thats the biggest problem with this game, absolutely no feedback on what you are doing.

Assistant manager feedback?

There is feedback. It's called watching the games. Making changes and seeing how that affects the way your team plays. And, tbh, that's the kind of thing FM is about. It's detailed, realistic management. Not "pick-up-and-play". You can put a reasonable tactic together easily, but to get a really good one, you're going to have to spend a long time experimenting and examining games. I can see where you're coming from, there are times when I like easily accessible games too, but I'm thinking you're looking at the wrong game really. Try FIFA Manager or CM. They're much more casual friendly.

the "sliders" are taken too seriously in this game, they don't control the game

what about team confidence, attending press conferences, motivation, training, all of that? commenting on danger man, riding your luck, drawing 1-1 after scoring/conceding a 95th minute goal (it happens in real life).. this is all realistic, correct?

I can see where you're coming from, there are times when I like easily accessible games too, but I'm thinking you're looking at the wrong game really.

Many people has stopped playing this game becouse of this, thats the problem. SI has taken a good game i.e.(CM1 to CM01/02) and destroyed it. I still think that everything except the tactics and the hated slider system is very good with this game. Thats why still bought the last version. But feel that if they gonna continue with this road there is no point of buying the game. They could at least consider making a "lite" version with everythin included except being forced to watch 90 minutes games, its really boring TBH....

The sliders annoy me since the introduction. Yes, it's a way and possibility to make it a little complicated but most of the time i feel out of control. If i want him up, logically increase mentality etc ... The strange thing is ... it doesn't really seem to matter. After freaking around for hours i sometimes get the "click" and it seems to have an affect ... but logic? No way, it can be Creative freedom as much as mentality to make your player do more like you want.

It's a simulation, so to be honest i see only one solution: Do it how it really is.

1) Make it at least possible to do training matches to test out various settings, instead of being forced to use the few friendlies and official matches

2) Real managers don't use sliders. They use their knowledge, man management and "tutoring" skills to increase a players performance. So just create more interaction with your players. Actually all you have to do is:

A) we play like this (ie 442) and i want you to go deep, you to hold the ball, and you do your thing and be creative etc ...

B) A match goes horribaly wrong. You can watch the tape of the game and instruct the players what went wrong (use pointers with comment or something) and how you want them to play. For instance, a winger, he played ok, but you like him to cut inside a little more. You select the player, tell him the instruction.

C) A player's mentality / adaptability determines how flexibel and eager he is to learn, so some will learn quicker then others. Might go wrong again, but in the end they start to play like you want, at least to some extend. This way you're actually managing and shaping your formation with your players, not sliders.

3) Stop with training slider, but go back "old style" where you can select a schedule of practises to increase / shape their skill in the area you think is needed. (nice option would be to actually see / manage the training in a highlighted / interaction way or something)

This solves two things (if done right):

* You have control of your team ... and if something goes wrong it's better to judge it because you can see the player isn't reaching his level, isn't playing like instructed etc .. and you can work on that, of if needed find a replacement

* No more "beating tactics" which can be downloaded ... it's about players ... not about the slider management. So we're talking about football now and people can share experiences instead of frameworks.

There are incredible intelligent football statistic / measure systems available in todays football, why not use them?

In the end i think it should be more about interaction and management instead of some slider fetish which most of the time don't even make sense either. Just make it realistic ... At least build towards that goal and stop wasting time in some freaking slider engine.

Allthough i'm happy with the 3D engine ... finally they've taken the step. It's not perfect yet, but at least gives way more insight in your players performance an position play. Ideally you can now even scout players by actually watching them, allthough i don't see enough detail yet to make that really work ... but its a good step :)

Many people has stopped playing this game becouse of this, thats the problem. SI has taken a good game i.e.(CM1 to CM01/02) and destroyed it. I still think that everything except the tactics and the hated slider system is very good with this game. Thats why still bought the last version. But feel that if they gonna continue with this road there is no point of buying the game. They could at least consider making a "lite" version with everythin included except being forced to watch 90 minutes games, its really boring TBH....

You aren't forced to watch 90 minutes. Set your highlight mode to key

My objections to it come from a simple notion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The sliders work fine as it is. Mentality is a representation of how "attack minded" the player is. Want him to be more attacking, move the slider up. Want him to act more defensive, move it down. Nice and simple. Creative freedom's the same - it's a representation of how rigidly you want your tactics to be followed. If you want your player to stick to your orders in every situation, give him very low CF. Want him to follow them most of the time, but have the freedom to make his own choices if the situation requires it? Set it to the middle. Want him to go out and do his thing? Set it high.

I'm not saying that everything about the system is perfect (my biggest beef is that global mentality is overriden by individuals, so there's no way to make my entire team change mentalilty without moving 11 sliders, ideally they would work together, so gloabl modifies indiviual or vice-versa), but the core mechanics are fine, so I see no reason to change them. The "solution" posted by the OP is just unnecessaary.

nothing personal but you're so wrong, so what is 'attacking minded' mentality then? in menual it says mentality affects player position on the field and making more forward passes. creative freedom affects players attemting the more difficult and ambitious staff. more CF they've set, more unpredictable their play shoud be. i couldn't find anything about players sticking to your tactics in the menual ;)

so to make a player more attacking minded you'll need to do much much more than just increase his mentality. this is a perfect example why so many people find FM hard and struggle with tactics. each slider should be easy to understand, it's the mixture of it that confuses people. personally i like sliders but i can't see how could verbal instructions make the game easy. it's how real managers comunicate with players afterall.

They could at least consider making a "lite" version with everythin included except being forced to watch 90 minutes games, its really boring TBH....

sorry mate but this game's not for you then. what yo're looking for is not a simulation of real life football.

i'm sure ferguson and lippi find watching their matches boring..:thup:

There is feedback. It's called watching the games. Making changes and seeing how that affects the way your team plays. And, tbh, that's the kind of thing FM is about. It's detailed, realistic management. Not "pick-up-and-play". You can put a reasonable tactic together easily, but to get a really good one, you're going to have to spend a long time experimenting and examining games. I can see where you're coming from, there are times when I like easily accessible games too, but I'm thinking you're looking at the wrong game really. Try FIFA Manager or CM. They're much more casual friendly.

agreed. watch the full 90 minutes and try to play with the sliders you will realize the difference...

I think the core mechanics are fine, but the GUI (graphical user interface) is REALLY outdated and very unintuitive. It's basically the same as it was in CM2, when it worked fine when there were only couple of buttons. Now it's crazy mixture of intervening sliders and checkboxes where simple instructions require moving of several sliders and in the worst case for 11 players!

One idea that popped into my mind was a "command wheel" which you could open up by just right clicking a player on the 3d view. You could choose things like "be more defensive" and that would drop the mentality slider in the background couple of clicks or "try more/less through balls" etc... It would feel like you are yelling instructions to the player from the sideline instead of tuning some car engine or something like that. :p

I also can't understand why all the information is hidden under couple of buttons when there is much room in the "tactical pitch". The formation should move according to defensive line and width settings. Also the players should move a bit up or down from their position when you change the mentality. Maybe other settings could also have some visual aids.

agreed. watch the full 90 minutes and try to play with the sliders you will realize the difference...

Well i am a student with lots of time on my hand, but watching 90 minutes and spending hours adjusting slider a notch left and right is a little too much effort for a game for me.

I am all for realism but the whole slider thing is just damn complicated, and when you read on these forum sometimes it seems not even SI know what they exactly do. Lets face it, there may be some tactical genuises in the real football world too, but especially a lot of famous managers only care about the basics. So you may say, well they have their staff to do this. But mine on FM cant do a decent work on tactics either. Also why is it that standard tactics are complete rubbish with big holes between the parts of the team. Isnt even SI able to make a tactic that works?

So i must say FM 09 tactics spoil the game for me at the moment. Gonna start my 3rd career game now and spend hours moving sliders left and right, because in my other 2 i couldnt hold out longer than half a season before being sacked. Well Conference South seems to be a tactically very demanding league. :mad: Come on in real life it should be enough to tell them: You are striker you have to score goals.

And as i said in another thread: Beckenbauer once said in the locker room as tactical advise : "What are you waiting for? Go out and play football."

A decent game followed.

Also if this complicated slider thing is so realistic i really wonder how a Premier league manager would do eith it. Lets be honest , he would suck...this is as near to real football as chess is to war. A good general might be good at chess because war and chess both have a tactical approach. But they are played by completely different rules. Just like FM and football.

sorry mate but this game's not for you then. what yo're looking for is not a simulation of real life football.

i'm sure ferguson and lippi find watching their matches boring..:thup:

As i said a simulation of real life footbal looks different...Lippi telling someone to tone down his creative play a a notch on the slider is something i cant imagine. He might give individual orders, not not to everyone and and constantly. Fielding a standard 4-4-2 and telling the guys to play it surely doesnt end in desaster in real life. Individual tasks for players may make the difference sometimes and should be rewarded. But their lack surely dont make Manchester to Maidenhead.

I love elitist posts like Mitja's. :)

Where the hweck did GerdMuller say that he didn't want to play football management simulation? Real life managers are twiddling with sliders and have no clear idea what they are doing? So, we must remember that this is a game after all and gameplay is everything in games. There is clearly room for an improvement in the tactics UI department.

Well i am a student with lots of time on my hand, but watching 90 minutes and spending hours adjusting slider a notch left and right is a little too much effort for a game for me.

I am all for realism but the whole slider thing is just damn complicated, and when you read on these forum sometimes it seems not even SI know what they exactly do. Lets face it, there may be some tactical genuises in the real football world too, but especially a lot of famous managers only care about the basics. So you may say, well they have their staff to do this. But mine on FM cant do a decent work on tactics either. Also why is it that standard tactics are complete rubbish with big holes between the parts of the team. Isnt even SI able to make a tactic that works?

So i must say FM 09 tactics spoil the game for me at the moment. Gonna start my 3rd career game now and spend hours moving sliders left and right, because in my other 2 i couldnt hold out longer than half a season before being sacked. Well Conference South seems to be a tactically very demanding league. :mad: Come on in real life it should be enough to tell them: You are striker you have to score goals.

And as i said in another thread: Beckenbauer once said in the locker room as tactical advise : "What are you waiting for? Go out and play football."

A decent game followed.

Also if this complicated slider thing is so realistic i really wonder how a Premier league manager would do eith it. Lets be honest , he would suck...this is as near to real football as chess is to war. A good general might be good at chess because war and chess both have a tactical approach. But they are played by completely different rules. Just like FM and football.

i read your newly created thread well for me it looks like it's time for you to quit FM2009.

I think the core mechanics are fine, but the GUI (graphical user interface) is REALLY outdated and very unintuitive. It's basically the same as it was in CM2, when it worked fine when there were only couple of buttons. Now it's crazy mixture of intervening sliders and checkboxes where simple instructions require moving of several sliders and in the worst case for 11 players!

One idea that popped into my mind was a "command wheel" which you could open up by just right clicking a player on the 3d view. You could choose things like "be more defensive" and that would drop the mentality slider in the background couple of clicks or "try more/less through balls" etc... It would feel like you are yelling instructions to the player from the sideline instead of tuning some car engine or something like that. :p

I think this has great potential and would make sense in how games have developed since the late 90's. It would allow us to create a base tactic for our team and adjust the tactic during matches in a much more intuitive way.

To everyone who keeps insisting there is no problem, instead of talking down wild ideas, why don't you try and see it for it's potential? Every idea, no matter how stupid it might seem can carry a solution or improvement. So let's just have a discussion about how to improve rather than talking **** against eachother or denying a potential for improvement.

I love elitist posts like Mitja's. :)

Where the hweck did GerdMuller say that he didn't want to play football management simulation? Real life managers are twiddling with sliders and have no clear idea what they are doing? So, we must remember that this is a game after all and gameplay is everything in games. There is clearly room for an improvement in the tactics UI department.

yeah i love it too. i replied to yacko's post not GM's

saying things like 'oh, does wenger says to cesc play 3 notches more attacking' is smth i really can't understand. i meen this is a computor game and we can't actually talk to our players. we're able to do with increasing the mentality slider exactly the same thing as would a real life manager by saying to his player 'look for more forward passes and play further up pitch'. if people can't, don't want or don't have the time to deal with tactics and watch some 10 matches in full mode to figure out what's wrong it, i can understand it somehow. it seems that SI decided to make this game more realistic with each version (FM players wanted that and now we have it). that also meens the game should be played more slowly than before, you need to tweak, think about morale, team atmosphere... gone are the pick'n'play days where you could go through season in 2 days :)

personally i'd like to have even more tactical options, be it sliders, tick boxes (it's still a slider with only 2 notches) or smth completly new. and i agree that tactical interface could be more user friendly.

Thank you Takamaru.

And to elaborate from that I was thinking that you could shift-rightclick to mirror the command, ie. you shift-rightclick your right winger and you now command both wingers. People like symmetrical tactics. :) Control-click could command the whole team if you want all players to be couple of clicks more defensive or to close down more.

So unless im reading this thread wrong : OP suggests the tactical sliders are not perfect and the system could be improved , fanboys jump down his throat telling people that dont like they they are teenublets and to go play something easier.

So in the fanboys eyes the slider system is the PINNACLE of how the tactical module can be represented to the end user ?

Personally i dont mind them that much, but there is massive room for improvment in the out dated and unintuitive GUI .

Shankly used to say:

"Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots"

FM 09 is not simple. The TT&F documents which is basically required reading proves that.

so who are the idiots then ? the users or SI ?

The fact a document like the TT&F exists and that its provided by fans and not SI is proof enough that a lot of people dont understand the current tactics module, the TTF is a fantastic document, and is pretty much a must read with the way the tactics are in 09

Ok after hard work with TT and F i am into a new career and my record is 0-6-3 , which is much better than my previous game. It may sound bad, but i am Bognor regis town, they are really bad. So you can have "success" but its to hard to unclear how to. I mean how does SI ever want to win ONE new customer with this.

Archived