Setting players roles

It is just me or does switching player roles between tactics become fairly tiresome? Would it be better to be able to set, or save, player roles to the actual player rather than the tactic and only change them if you want to?

As an example, if I play as Man Utd and create a 4-4-2 tactic I may want Fletcher as a ball winning midfielder and Carrick as a deep lying play-maker, however if I was to bring Anderson into the team I may want him as a box-to-box midfielder.

If I've created my 4-4-2 tactic with Fletcher and Carrick in mind I have to go back in and change the role of Anderson when I bring him in, but if we could somehow save the roles we want the players to take then that would a) speed up tactics and pre-match screens and b) stop people from forgetting to change the damn player roles (this may just be me but it's very frustrating to look back at why you lost and see you had your star holding midfielder as an advanced play-maker)!

I'm not sure if this is possible but the only alternative I can see is to create a whole bunch of tactics based around all the different combinations of players in your team, and quite frankly that's just silly!

Any thoughts?

Yeah, roles should be able to be assigned to a player. Ideally every position on the tactic would have a set role, and if you placed a player in that position who did not have any role assigned, he would assume the role allotted to that position. Now, if you set a particular player to have a certain role, and placed him in the position, he would override that and assume the role allotted to him, and if he was taken out that position would revert back to its previous role.

I see where the guys who pick roles first are coming from however I only tend to find this useful on longer term games where I've brought in my own players to fit my tactics/system. If I'm taking over a team where there's little need to buy (usually top teams), or if there's no money for any purchases (Portsmouth) then I think to get the best out of the team then you, or at least I, need to play players in their most suitable role.

I just think that by assigning roles to players would help, this maybe doesn't need to be done for every player, defenders for example but when changing the more advanced players I think it could be of real benefit.

I would so much like that TBH. :thup: I also do just like Cougar2010, but still, I'd love that option.

Oh, and if I remeber correctly, this idea has been already suggested.

Thanks for the support!

Just so you know, I did search to see if this has already been suggested but I couldn't find anything decent. I admit I'm poor at using the 'find' function though so apologies if I'm going over old ground. Does anyone know where this has already been discussed? I'd like to read the thread.

Thanks for the support!

Just so you know, I did search to see if this has already been suggested but I couldn't find anything decent. I admit I'm poor at using the 'find' function though so apologies if I'm going over old ground. Does anyone know where this has already been discussed? I'd like to read the thread.

I'm not critising you for not searching. :) It's just I know there was a long disscusion about this, and people generally accepted the idea, so I'm glad that someone has already mention it again.

And I hope SI will implement this in FM11. :)

Cheers. :thup:

I'm going to have to try and find that discussion, glad to hear people appreciate the suggestion.

Hopefully it will be implemented, or at least a similar system in FM11. I'm not a great tactician and I don't tend to spend hours over these things but I see this as one thing that's relatively simple and can be improved upon.

Following on from this, I'm pretty sure training has been discussed in detail by people who know a lot more about it than me but, I think we should be able to suggest players train in a new role, or develop an exisiting role. This could be something similar to training new positions and learning new preferences which is already in-game. Following on from my example in the original post, Anderson is already a natural centre midfielder but could possible be trained to play there as a deep lying play-maker rather than a box-to-box player.

• 2 months later...

Archived