[FM10] Boston United: From the Bottom to the Top

Almondo

Boston_Utd_Badge.png

History

Boston United Football Club are a football club based in Boston, Lincolnshire, England. Also known as 'The Pilgrims' in reference to the Pilgrim Fathers who fled from Boston to the USA and founded Boston, Massachusetts.

The club was founded in 1933 as a successor to a club called Boston. Their first game was a 3-1 defeat at home to Grimsby Reserves on 26 August 1933, when a crowd of 1,544 watched Boston's no.7, Blessed, score United's first ever goal. They then had a moderate amount of success in various leagues, including the Midland League and Southern League.

On 7 January 1956 Boston played Tottenham Hotspur in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in front of their largest ever crowd, 46,185, at White Hart Lane. The Pilgrims lost 4-0, but the match was more notable for the travelling support. Over 10,000 Boston supporters attended the game. A special train line from Boston to King's Cross was set up for the day.

They were founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968, of which they were champions four times, and of the Alliance Premier League (now the Football Conference) in 1979. However, their Northern Premier League title wins were not enough to gain them election to the Football League, and when they won the title in 1978 they surprisingly missed out on league status in favour of runners-up Wigan Athletic, who took the Football League place previously held by Southport.

Also of note are three Former players. Namely Paul Gascoigne, Noel Whelan and Julian Joachim.

I am playing this game as part of Dafuge's Challenge and as such the league setup is as per his rules. Started on patch 10.2.

Boston united season 1 2010/11

League Table After winning the first game if the season we went on a torrid run of not winning in 8 games. After a change in tactics and a couple of good loan players (see below) we managed to turn the season around finally finishing in 7th in the league.

Fixtures 1, Fixtures 2

Transfers

Key Players

Nathan Adams Got Adams in on loan from Lincoln City. Making an instant impact withn the first team. Along with Sam Habergham

Sam Habergham. Brought in on loan from Norwich City. My first choice Left back all season.

Jack Compton. My star left winger scoring 10 goals throughout the season.

F.A. Cup Slightly disappointing here as we were expected to make the 4th Qualifying round but were put out by Bishop's Stortford in the 3rd.

F.A. Trophy Got through to the 1st round of the Trophy which was what the board wanted so I at least made that expectation.

Finances

Season               League                    Final Position             Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11         Blue Square North              7th                       None

Aims for next season

Build on the work done this season.

Strengthen the squad. - I've started to work on this by signing Craig McAllister after the season ended.

Boston united season 2 2011/12

So a second season in the BSN meant some strengthening in certain positions such as MC. In the league we had a good performance staying in the top 2 or 3 for most of the season. We were actually top for around half the season before the form took a tumble.

League Table, Position Graph

We were finally promoted after a nervous two leg tie in teh playoffs against Hinkley and then a Final which went to extra time against Droylesden.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures Pt 2, Fixtures Pt 3

FA Cup Got to the 4th Qualifying round here before being put out by Chester

FA Trophy Into the 3rd round here before going out once again to Chester

Transfers A bit of good dealing here on the players I got with John Terry's brother Paul joining on a free and several others who have become rather good for us.

Key Players

Rhys Coleman A good young defender who started every game he could.

Brett Solkhon A good central midfielder who is being traind as an AMC due to my now employing a diamond formation.

Jack Compton Once again Compton has been fantastic down the left.

Kern Miller Brought in on loan to shore up the defence for the final 13 games. I was so impressed I've signed him on a free from Lincoln for the new season.

Paul Terry John Terry's brother. He wasn't getting games at Rushden so I snapped him up on a free as he's versatile. He was a revelation even at 33.

Finances

Season           League              Final Position               Achievments
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11       Blue Square North          7th                         none
2011/12       Blue Square North          2nd                       Promoted Via Playoffs  

Other Winners

Premier League - Manchester United

FA Cup - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Carling Cup - Manchester United

Champions League - Barcelona

UEFA Cup - Juventus

Aims for next season

Stay in the Blue Square Premier

Strengthen the squad.

As you can see we do have some work to do but I feel confident of staying up next season.

Boston united season 3 2012/13

A first season in the Blue Square Premier meant that we faced a tough time at first with the Media predicting that we would head straight back down to the BSN. However with some good signings for the back 5 with a new keeper, 2 Fullbacks and a Central defender as well as bringing back Kern Miller on a full contract we looked to be fairly decent with 15th place at th eend of the season

FA Cup Through to the first round proper for the first time but we were shocking against Rochdale.

FA Trophy Disappointing here going out in the first round.

Transfers Most of the transfers brought in were to bolster the defence but I did make a couple of loan signing's plus a right midfielder.

Key Players

Brett Solkhon Another solid season for Solkhon scoring a few and really playing solidly in the centre of midfield.

Jack Compton Once again Welsh wizard Compton has been fantastic down the left.

Paul Stonehouse The left sided player has played most games for us this season slotting in at left back.

Craig McAllister The veteran striker shined this year when he got the chance to score. Scoring 15 over all competitions.

Finances

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12       Blue Square North          2nd                       Promoted Via Playoffs
2012/13       Blue Square Premier        15th                        none  

Other Winners

Premier League - Chelsea

FA Cup - Chelsea

Carling Cup - Liverpool

Champions League - Juventus

UEFA Cup - Leverkusen

Aims for next season

Strengthen the squad especially need to bring in a back up left winger as cover for Compton

Push up the Blue Square Premier.

All in all a fairly comfortable season once we got settled. I do believe that the players were trying to gel especially at the back with essentially a brand new back 5. Once they got it together though we were fairly solid throughout the season. Hopefully we can keep the form going into our 2nd season in the BSP.

Boston united season 4 2013/14

A disappointing season all in all with us only just avoinding relegation on the final day of the season. Will have to prepare fully for next season and do a lot better.

FA Cup Through to the first round proper for the second time before going out to Grimsby

FA Trophy Disappointing here going out in the first round.

Transfers Most of the transfers brought in were to bolster the defence but I did make a couple of loan signing's plus a right midfielder.

Key Players

NO player could really be called key this season.

Finances

2013/14       Blue Square Premier        20th                        none

Other Winners

Premier League - Chelsea

FA Cup - Liverpool

Carling Cup - Arsenal

UEFA Cup - Real Madrid

World Cup - Brazil

Aims for next season

Finish higher up the table.

All in all we started out well but just seemed to go downhill after september and were extremely lucky that welling lost to AFC Telford on the last day of the season. We really need to push on and have a good year this season.

Boston united season 5 2014/15

A better season than last year finishing 12th. We could have been even higher but hit a big mid season slummp once again.

FA Cup A good showing here eventually going out to Preston

FA Trophy Disappointing here going out in the first round

Transfers

Key Players

john Foster Goo d Left sided player who has terrorised right backs.

Tom Parkes Young Centre back who slotted straight into the defence.

Finances

2014/15       Blue Square Premier        12th                        none

Other Winners

Premier League - Man United

FA Cup - Tottenham

Carling Cup - Man United

Champions League - Man United

UEFA Cup - A.C. Milan

Aims for next season

Carry on where we left off and get even higher up the table.

So there we have it. A much better year than last year but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Cheers M.

Boston united season 6 2015/16

Fantastic season really finishing 3rd. Disapointing to lose in the playoff final but we have made real improvements.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures pt2, Fixtures pt 3

FA Cup Disappointing after last year goingout in the fist round

FA Trophy better than last year heading into the 2nd round

Transfers

Key Players

Nabil Sharif Good young striker who managed to score a few for us

Tom Parkes Young Centre back who carried on where he left off last season

Willie Egan A young Irish Winger who has contributed well and has been in the Ireland U 21 squad as well

Maxime Chanot Solid French Defender who plays across all 3 defensive positions.

Finances

2015/16       Blue Square Premier        3rd                       Lost in Playoff Final        

Other Winners

Premier League - Arsenal

FA Cup - Liverpool

Carling Cup - Everton

Champions League - A.C. Milan

UEFA Cup - Real Madrid

European Championship - France

Aims for next season

Promotion

In other news Yeovil Town who were relegated from League 2 last season carried on their downward spiral by being relegated to the Blue Square South.

So all in all a very productive season there hopefully we can push on even further although we do have games against Tranmere Rovers this season coming up.

Boston united season 7 2016/17

So after the disappointment of missing out on promotion by losing in the playoff final last season I was determined to gain promotion this season but nothing repared me for the way the season would go.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures pt2, Fixtures pt 3

FA Cup Went out to Luton in the First round proper.

FA Trophy FA Trophy Final Great run through to the Final where we edged out Southport on Penalties.

Transfers

Star Player

Nabil Sharif

Wasn't expecting much out of Sharif to be honest but he was banging goals in for fun throughout the season end ing up with

Top Scorer and Player of the Year

Key Players

Matty Wolfenden Sharif's strike partner for most of the year scoring around 15 goals this season.

Michael Coulson Another striker brought in on a fre who turned out to be a fairly good goal machine.

Gavin Carlin Would have conceded more if not for Carlin in the goal.

George Moncur Impressive midfielder bought in 2016 from Peterborough after having him on loan a couple of seasons earlier.

Shaun Batt A menace to all left backs and left midfielders also chipping in a few goals

Finances

On a personal note I won manager of the Year

Also the team had 5 players in the Team of the Year

2015/16       Blue Square Premier        3rd                       Lost in Playoff Final   
2016/17       Blue Square Premier        1st                       Automatic Promotion, FA Trophy

Other Winners

Premier League - Liverpool

FA Cup - Chelsea

Carling Cup - Chelsea

Champions League - A.C. Milan

UEFA Cup - Everton. - this was a Merseyside Derby

Aims for next season

Survival

This season really speaks for itself.

Nice thread Almondo. I landed Nabil Sharif in my Eastleigh save. I brought him in pretty early in the save when he was just 18, but after a few years he became a starter and bagged 33 in 64 matches for me in 2 seasons of BSP, He got pushed down the pecking order by my loaners when I went to League 2 though.

Boston united season 8 2017/18

Going into League 2 the expectation was that we avoid Relegation. I was surprised how easily we managed this.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures pt 2, Fixtures pt 3

FA Cup Best competition of the lot making the 2nd round

League Cup Went out in the first round to Oldham

Johnstone's Paint Trophy[/url

Transfers

Star Player

Michael Coulson

Scored four in our first game in League 2 and carried on scoring for most of the season although he was injured for a while.

3rd in Top Scorer

Key Players

Nabil Sharif Kept scoring after last season but not as much as last year.

Richard Martin Good Keeper who kept us in some games.

David Worrall Brought in on Loan from Blackburn and was great at left back

Finances

2016/17       Blue Square Premier        1st                       Automatic Promotion, FA Trophy
2017/18       Coca Cola League 2         2nd                       Automatic Promtion

Other Winners

Premier League - Man City

FA Cup - Wolverhamton Wanderers

Carling Cup - Wolverhampton Wandereres

Champions League - Real Madrid

UEFA Cup - Roma

World Cup - Spain

Aims for next season

Survival

So a good season there with us keeping in the top two for most of the season. Hopefull ycan stay up next season.

Boston united season 9 2018/19

My first season in League 1 started out well but after christmas we couldn't buy a win meaning we got relegated.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures pt 2, Fixtures pt 3

FA Cup Best competition of the lot making the 2nd round

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Transfers

Key Players

No Player could really be classed as key as no one stood out at all

Finances

2017/18       Coca Cola League 2         2nd                       Automatic Promtion
2018/19       Coca Cola League 1         21st                      Relegated to League 2

Other Winners

Premier League - Manchester City

FA Cup - Chelsea

Carling Cup - Manchester City

Champions League - Manchester City

UEFA Cup - Fiorentina

Aims for next season

Get promoted back to League 1

So all in all a bad season but hopefully we can get straight back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure to be honest Nobby. Anyway I took a break from playing FM due to Mass Effect 2 coming out, but now I'm back at it and here's the 2019/20 update.

Boston united season 10 2019/20

A good season all in all with the disappointment of losing in the playoff final.

Fixtures pt 1, Fixtures pt 2, Fixtures Pt 3

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy With a 1st round bye we got through to the Semi Final

Transfers

Key Players

Tony Kane

Ben Browne One half of my fairly decent Central Midfield Partnership

Adam Barton The other half of the Centrl Midfield Partnership

Anthony Edgar Fairly decent left winger got for a bargain price

Nabil Sharifonce again a great striker for me

Aidan Campbell A decent partner for Sharif.

Finances

2018/19       Coca Cola League 1         21st                      Relegated to League 2
2019/20       Coca Cola League 2         4th                       Lost in Playoff Final

Other Winners

Premier League - Arsenal

FA Cup - Aston Villa

Carling Cup - Ipswich

Champions League - Inter

UEFA Cup - Palermo

European Championship - France

Aims for next season

Get promoted back to League 1

Boston united season 10 2020/21

A very consistent season underlined by promotion through the playoffs

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy With a 1st round bye we got all the way to the final. Losing out to Leyton Orient.

Transfers

Key Players

Nabil Sharif

Aidan Campbell

Julien Raimbault A good back up for Sharif and Campbell

Martin Owen

Finances

2019/20       Coca Cola League 2         4th                       Lost in Playoff Final
2020/21       Coca Cola League 2         4th                       Promoted via Playoffs

Other Winners

Premier League - Chelsea

FA Cup - Tottenham

Carling Cup - Everton

Champions League - Arsenal - An all english final vs Aston Villa

UEFA Cup - Athletico Madrid

Aims for next season

Stay up

So all in all a decent season especially after the disappointment of losing in the playoff final last season.

Thanks Nobby.

Boston united season 12 2021/22

A great season all in all. Considering that I thought we were going down after the first few games. We picked it up to finish 9th in the end

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

To be honest I was glad we went out of all the cups when we did as we could then concentrate on staying up.

Transfers

Key Players

Nicolaj Kholert One half of my main central midfield partnership. Scored some cracking goals as well

Reggie Lambe Kholert's main partner. Scores a few as well

Aidan Campbell Another good season from Campbel with 25 goals in all competitions

Julien Raimbault Campbells partner. Shoved Sharif out of the side. Started slow but clicked and scored nearly 20 goals

Oliver Nicholas Bought from Middlesborough and has established himself as a defensive rock.

Finances

2020/21       Coca Cola League 2         4th                       Promoted via Playoffs
2021/22       Coca Cola League 1         9th                         none

Other Winners

Premier League - Arsenal

FA Cup - Manchester United

Carling Cup - Bristol City

UEFA Cup - Palermo

World Cup - Romania

Aims for next season

Strengthen the squad

Consolidate position and maybe push up

So a highest ever finish for the Pilgrims, hopefully we can keep it up this year

Have to say I am loving this. Being from Boston, and used to be a season ticket holder in their league 2 days, I know lots about the club. Used to play for the Under 14's, but left for Grimsby, where i got injured and they let me go. Knee still not the same as it used to be. Anyway, hope to see you do well mate.

Cheers Speni. Yeah Nobby Capitals do help.

Boston united season 13 2022/23

League Table 1, League Table 2 Position Graph final position - 11th

Another good showing in the league considering some of the teams that we were facing. Namely Fulham, Middlesborough and Crystal Palace. 11th isn't really the position we deserved but the end of season run in saw us throw awayh the chance for a playoff place and drop down. However the start of season expectation was fulfilled. I think the shock of the season has to be Reading being relegated to League 2.

Cups

not the best of showing here. Going out in the first round of the league cup and Johnstones paint trophy. We did do slightly better in the FA cup going out in the 2nd round.

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Transfers

Only two players brought in this year. Just to shore up the back line really although I think we'll need a new left back as Basey is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Key Players

Marcus Higgs Brought in to partner Nicholas in Defence

Oliver Nicholas Once again a rock in defence. Worked well with Higgs

Aidan Campbell An ever present striker again. Scored less than last year yet still caused problems.

Nabil Sharif Forced himself back into the side and never looked back.

Finances

2022/23       Coca Cola League 1         11th                        none

Other Winners

Premier League - Manchester United

FA Cup - Arsenal

Carling Cup - Aston Villa

Champions League - Manchester United

UEFA Cup - Inter

Aims for next season

Push up now. We've had 2 seasons here and now need to push for a playoff spot.

nice career so far, Good luck with the push onwards and upwards :)

got any tips for mangement in the Blue square leagues? as im approaching them at a rapid pace if i continue my form (if you dont want to clutter this thread explaining chuck it in the HQ sticky or my career thread :) )

Boston united season 14 2023/24

League Table 1, Position Graph final position - 1st.

A fantastic season here with the result being that we have been promoter as Champions without losing a game. It was hard at times and Cardiff, middlesborough an dPeterborough all pushed us close right up to the end.

Cups

Cups were better than last season with 3rd round appearances in both League and FA Cups and a 2nd round in the JPT.

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Transfers

Only two brought in again. One on loan.

Star Player

The star player this season has been Aiden Campbell

Campbell has been on top form all year even grabbing the Top Scorer award.

Key Players

I can't pick any one player as a key player as all the squad were great so here is the Squad

Finances

2023/24       Coca Cola League 1         1st                       League 1 Champions

Other Winners

Premier League - Chelsea

FA Cup - Everton

Carling Cup - Everton - Edged out Liverpool in a tight Merseyside Derby

Champions League - Olympique Lyonnais

UEFA Cup - Inter

European Champioships - England

Aims for next season

Survival is the one and only goal for next season.

Ha ha. I'll take that as a compliment Nobby.

Boston united season 15 2024/25

League Table , Position Graph final position - 11th

A very good season all in all. With the bookmakers and media predicting that we would head straight back down to League 1 it looked at the start of the season as if they would be proved right. However once the squad gelled together we started to play as a team and managed some decent results. Once we got out of the relegation zone we didn't look back and marched up the table eventually finishing 11th.

Cups

I wasn't bothered about the cups to be honest as all the Pilgrims really cared about was staying in the highest ever division they have played in. That being said we managed to make the 2nd round of the League cup. However the best result was taking Manchester United to a FA Cup 4th round replay at Old Trafford after holding them to a draw at York St.

FA Cup

League Cup

Transfers

The biggest transfer news was that fact that I sold Marcus Higgs, a Central Defender for £2 million although the board only gave me £1.4 million of that as budget. Not a bad profit after getting him on a free. I managed to sign a central defender of similar quality form Scunthorpe inthe shape of Gavin Kirk. Kirk has international caps for Northern ireland. The funniest thing is that Higgs is at Huddersfield bulking out their reserve squad.

Star Player

The star player this season has been Roberto Allevi

The young Itallian goalkeeper was aquired on a free and once settled between the sticks looked extremely comfortable and seemed as though he'd been there for years.

Key Players

I can't pick any one player as a key player as all the squad were great so here is the Squad

Other news

Republic of Ireland manager Kevin Killbane has finally recognised the class of Aiden Campbell and has decided to give him his first few International caps.

Finances

2023/24       Coca Cola League 1         1st                       League 1 Champions
2024/25       Coca Cola Championship     11th                        none

Other Winners

Premier League - Manchester City

FA Cup - Arsenal

Carling Cup - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Champions League - Inter

UEFA Cup - Benfica

Aims for next season

Consolidate position and maybe push up the table.

Boston united season 16 2025/26

League Table , Position Graph final position - 14th

A very good season all told again. the media were still predicting we were playing in a division that is too high for up, but we managed to confound them again with a 14th place finish.

Cups

The cups were better this year with us reaching the 4th round of the Carling Cup and also the FA Cup.

FA Cup Went out to Man City

League Cup Went out to Sunderland

Transfers

Star Player

The star player this season has been Aiden Campbell

Key Players

Gavin Kirk Kirk was brought in after I sold Marcus Higgs last season.

Juan Jesus Sanchez A good Central Midfielder.

Other News

The board has finally decided to grant us a New Stadium it's only taken them 16 years to decide on it.

Finances

Finances are a bit shoody after the board took out a loan to finance the new stadium

2024/25       Coca Cola Championship     11th                        none
2025/26       Coca Cola Championship     14th                        none

Other Winners

Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur

FA Cup - Manchester City

Carling Cup - Manchester City

UEFA Cup - Porto

World Cup - England

Aims for next season

Head for a Playoff spot

We've had a good enough season even though we finished lower than last season. We're now looking to push on up.

Archived