FM 2009: Official Aldershot Town FC Thread - Back in the football league!

0,,10341~3759331,00.jpg

Aldershot Town is a League Two football team based in Hampshire, South England. The club originally formed in 1926, but it ran into debt problems, it then reformed in 1991-92. Aldershot is often known as the smallest town in England with a football league club, and often known for its past debt problems.

Nicknamed The Shots, Red & Blue Army, Red Army, Aldershot have an army background as the town is largely a militiary base. It's fans have a reputation of being hardcore fueled by its militiary presence. Its main colour is red and its secondary colour blue.

Aldershot's stadium called, The Recreation Ground recently renamed it to the EBB Stadium when EBB became Aldershot's main sponsor again, it has a capacity of between 7,100 to 7,500, however it is an approximate because much of it is terracing. The 'East Bank' is all terracing, where most volume comes from during matchdays, it is also where the away stand is located. There is a notoriously famous drummer in the East Bank, he attends nearly all games with his drums and he has hair like Elvis! The North stand is half seating and half terracing, it is also where the dugouts are located, atmosphere is limited in the North Stand! The South stand is the family stand, at the West end of the South stand is a open terrace area, which is just next to the railway line, often the train driver honks as he passes the ground!

34is177.png

The positions where you desperately need to sign players is CM, CB, you also need a new RM. In the team there are no good corner/freekick takers, so a good set piece player is also needed.

Sandell is a great LM keep him at all costs!

It's best to pust Soares up to RM and try sign a RB, only do that if you can't find a decent RM.

Blackburn is the best player in the squad, hes RCB, again keep him at all costs!

In game you start with a £25k budget and a £17.7k wage budget. It is hard to attract players, so look out for any loans and free transfers!

I hope my information was good and interesting, I hope some more people play as Aldershot on FM!

(I'll happily edit in anymore info etc. in if you want it added)

Is playing wing backs in league 2 a bad idea?

I've been reading the TT&F thread and I'm going to have a go at playing some magical football with Aldershot.

I usually play standard 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond), so I don't use wing backs!

I'm desperately trying to sign a new CB, got a CB called Prosser, he's pretty good.

I'm 11 games in, won 7 drawn 3 lost 1.

In... Paris Simmonds (loan 5k fee) Derby

Aleksander Piotrvch (loan free) Derby

Jordan Parkes (loan from parent club) Watford

Got rid of Grant, Mendez and Mikheal

Playing the diamond formation. I havent bought any players because the squad is strong enough. Just FYI, the board ask to avoid relegation, but with 2 teams going down and 3 teams starting on -30 -17 and -17 its not very hard to do. I'm hoping I can get promoted this season and try and survive league 1.

Good players for me, Davies who starts on loan, Bull is an absolute king, and the left miud player Sandell.

Some of the spellings are probably wrong but you get the jist. Go on The Shots!

I'm 11 games in, won 7 drawn 3 lost 1.

In... Paris Simmonds (loan 5k fee) Derby

Aleksander Piotrvch (loan free) Derby

Jordan Parkes (loan from parent club) Watford

Got rid of Grant, Mendez and Mikheal

Playing the diamond formation. I havent bought any players because the squad is strong enough. Just FYI, the board ask to avoid relegation, but with 2 teams going down and 3 teams starting on -30 -17 and -17 its not very hard to do. I'm hoping I can get promoted this season and try and survive league 1.

Good players for me, Davies who starts on loan, Bull is an absolute king, and the left miud player Sandell.

Some of the spellings are probably wrong but you get the jist. Go on The Shots!

Currently my 1st choice is

..................Bull......................

Straker...Day...Blackburn...Parkes

...............Chalmers..................

Sandell........................Simmons

................Davies....................

.......Hylton..........Piotrvch........

Promotion!

Not sure if I will finish 2nd or 3rd but i'm looking good for second place, 4 points clear with 3 games left. Bradford absolutely stormed the league and are about 10 points ahead of me.

Quick season recap...

Started off very well pre-season, won games against some L1-champ opposition using the 4-4-2 diamond recomended earlier in the post. Been in the playoff positions most of the season but played the tougher games early and have recently come off a 6 win run to leave me where I am. Davies got injured near the end so I terminated the loan, Scott Donnely has been filling in and although his stats arent to great he does the business.

Top goalscorers

Hylton 15

Prijovich 14

Simmons 8

Hylton had an absolute stormer at the end of the season after I was reluctant to start him, all of simmons goals came from when I was a goal down, I would stick tempo to quick, passing to direct, set Simmons as a target man with run onto ball and 3 upfront. It worked about 75% of the time!

Not sure how next season will go because I need to strengthen the squad a hell of lot as I played 4 loan players which were all fantastic.

I'm retraining Andre Andre as a AMC and giving him places shots, his passing is 14 and he looks like he should be good in that role.

Anyone else playing Aldershot or just me :(

After a disappointing start losiing to Luton was 6 pts clear at half way, but touch and go in 2nd half of season but never dropped from 1st place.

cocacolaleague2.png w1440.png

I'm taking a few days off before I start the new season, I'm pretty busy at the moment but I will update here. I'm pretty sure League 1 won't be a huge problem, I'm amazed about some of the players I have brought in so far.

Should I be playing this 16 year old regen in the first team or not? He is better than Sandell already. Just wondering if he is too young for first team football?

I'm a Spurs fan so loaned Hamed for free and then added a free transfer Hulst to squad. Until injuries hit it was a good pairing

lol same, I just loaned Hamed after reading your post.

First game he started and scored 2 goals, seems pretty decent!

Hamed and Hylton start up front for me, Grant has been disappointing.

Currently I'm around 4th, but only 10 games in so you never know! Media keep going on about my form, unbeaten in 6 games...

Oh, I also signed a 20 year old centre back, his surname is Prosser, signed him for £8k, decent player.

About 22 games into the second season and i'm chasing playoffs, going well for me but I could do with out getting promoted, I've got a lot of building to do.

The average age of my squad at the moment is about 21 so I'm planning for the future but could do with being a bit better here and now. Only got one decent striker in Hylton and the rest are loan signings and a 17 year old Regen who is doing the business.

Interestingly, a player I got on loan Aleksander Piotvch (spelling) from Derby has Aldershot as his favourite club, I'm going to put in a low offer and see if I can snap him up.

How on earth did you get that 700k??

I don't really know.. I didnt spend much money and I finished 12th in the league and they gave it me. I havent spent any of it but brought in lots of good free transfers on a high wage so I just converted it all into wages.

Do you know how much you need to spend to get a new stadium or better training facilities because I have sold all my season tickets bar 6 seats :)

Notable players in

Prijovic

Ben Peterson (i think)

Terssor "the head" Kandol

Rapnik

Mark Little (rapid full back)

Takib Chakeb (or something like that)

Peter Pawlett

I cant remember to be fair, I signed about 8-9 players yesterday to fill up the squad a bit.

Anyone still playing The Shots?

I'm in my 4th season which is the longest I have ever played any FM.

In the Championship now in the playoff places with 12 games gone. I have a really good squad that stormed league 1 (gelling first half, owning second half) now I have a decent Championship side who seem to be doing well.

Looking for mid-table finish this year.

Hit a bit of finance trouble, my wage bill is too high but I feel like I need all the players I have. Is it partly because my gate reciepts arent high enough to support me in the Championship??

Some advice would be apreciated. I rarely buy players but I convert it all into wages normally.

Right, been away loads which means not internet, but doesn't stop me playing FM!

In my third season and in the Championship now, as you said the jump from League 1 to Champ is huge! Not managing to well!

Got Portsmouth as my feeder club since the first season and they've really helped me out, their striker Subotic I loaned in my 2nd season, bought him when I got promoted for 250k (loads of it by installments!). He was transfer listed for 250k and his value then was at £2.5m!!

Got some decent defenders and midfielders as well as some decent strikers, mostly free transfers. Only original players that are first team regulars are Nikki Bull (No.1!) and Straker...

My first post on the forums...

But I started a new game as Aldershot last week, struggled in my first season by not scoring enough goals. Finished 10th and 8 points off the playoffs.

Doing much better this season, got some nice free transfers in plus some good loans, John Bostock is top scoring for me from midfield!!

Thing is with the Shots, if you go to the championship you really need to destroy and rebuild every season. I have changed the squad loads...

Not been playing lately because I'm back on Planetside but i'll 100% carry on with this save.

Yeah thats what I'm worried about, about 8 games into my first season in the Championship, struggling a lot. Just about hovering above the relegation zone...

My plan is just to survive this season, then try my best for next season. My average attendance is just below 7500 which is the stadium capacity, but the club say they haven't got enough finances to expand. I think a stadium expansion is what I need to get more finances, but then again you did say earlier that you built a new stadium and you went into financial toruble because the club had to take out a large loan from the bank?

has anyone had any success with the shots beyond the championship!?

In FM 2008 I did take them to the Premiership from the Blue Square Premier, but then my game crashed.

Currently in the relegation zone after 12 games, won 1, drawn 5, lost 6... My job is currently at the status 'insecure'!!

Going to try and change my tactics a bit, but this season is gonna be a long and slow one!

Got promoted from League 2 last night after 2 seasons in charge, missed out on auto promotion on goal difference, but beat Walsall in the final thanks to an injury time Dean Bowditch strike!

I have almost completely rebuilt the squad in the off-season, the only original players left in the first team squad are Straker, Bull, Hudson and Hylton... Most of the others I sold or released on a free.

The aim is the Premiership, so I'm hoping for back to back promotions!

Yeer Hylton is useful mate, really good striker I find.

Wish I could play it more at the moment but my life has really got in the way. I really want to get into Europe but having difficulty getting out of Champ. 3 Teams from the prem come down and they are usually promotion candidates so its really tough.

About the finances i'm not sure exactly whats happened, I have a huge wage bill and a new stadium on the way but I should be ok, I have trouble understanding the finances screen. The stadium is finished in 2014 and im in 2013 at the moment, looking forward to seeing what kind of crowds we can draw.

Good job on your promotion Jcarlton, League 1 isnt a huge step up and there are normally 3 (or more) poor teams that go down. When I got into league one I had 3 teams start on -30 -15 and -15 and my expectations were *stay up* I loled, easy season. Got promoted in the end.

Anyone got any tips on who to buy/sell on first season? on a weegie update ofc

try and get a loan club as soon as you can...

Nikki Bull, Chris Blackburn, Louis Soares and John Grant are you star players at the start. Andy Sandell is quality on the left too.

Get rid of Dean Howell ASAP!

There may be interested in Chalmers or Harding, try and get an offer for 100k, if you get that then accept.

Try and loan Radwan Hamed or Simon Dawkins from Tottenham, and Jake Livermore from TOttenham too. or try Mahoto from Portsmouth..

John Bostock or Jacques Maghoma from Spurs on loan are pretty good. I was able to buy Dean Bowditch from Ipswich in my first year, he scored loads of goals, he works well with Danny Hylton, who is another player you should keep.

With a couple of loan signings and a few free transfers you should do fine!

AT THE START OF THE GAME: Will Antwi is a good loan at the start too (not sure which club) he's a decent CB, Omar Koroma from Portsmouth is a great striker that you can pick up on loan. He was a great player for me bagging loads of goals!

The striker you can see above, Stephen Thompson, I signed him in the first season for 10K, you can see a later screenshot of him to see his development (good!)

My update: Managed to clock up a few more wins now, still not in proper safety, but hovering between just below mid table to one place above the regelation zone!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still playing!!! Been waiting for someone else to post in the thread!

Just got Chelsea as my parent club which is awesome news, just finished my first season in the Championship, finished just above relegation zone!

However money is tight, and my wage bill is over by 1.5K! Any suggestions on how to reduce it effectively? I'm trying to trim down my squad loads!

Archived