FM10: Steven Defour

StandardFan

in the demo, as im too skint to get ther full game yet, i got him for like £15M for liverpool (as i had a pathetic transfer budget so put it on 48month installments, not going to matter on the demo though ;)). And i put him in CM with Hamsik alongside him and Mascherano just behind, worked wonders, he scored a screamer for me against villa first game of the season which won the game for us 2-1, and has got 7 so far (early december, so demo will finish soon :( ). he's definately capable of playing for liverpool.

Chelsea have him on mine, but he's rotting in their reserves. Actually he's transfer listed for £4 million, after they signed him for £10+ million. Good business sense. Would be interesting to see how good he is with human training and match experience.

Awesome player once you untrain the plays short, simple passes PPM

In my save he outright refuses to drop it :mad:

The passing related PPMs seem to be a bit fishy in general, I've been having issues with getting central midfielders with good passing and creativity to learn the killer balls PPM for the last three or four editions of FM.

In my save he outright refuses to drop it :mad:

The passing related PPMs seem to be a bit fishy in general, I've been having issues with getting central midfielders with good passing and creativity to learn the killer balls PPM for the last three or four editions of FM.

Yeah, I had to ask him about 6 times.

His mental stats remind me of players like Moutinho, and Flamini (in FM09, haven't checked him on FM10).

:thup: Great player, but always seems to cost a bomb!

He cost me £3.2 mill in November of the first season. You have to unsettle him until Standard have no choice but to get rid of a want away captain.

The transfer system in fm10 is the most realistic i've played. Unsettling players is so important now, just like in real life.

• 2 weeks later...
Defour is the captain of my Villa side in 2012. Awesome player once you untrain the plays short, simple passes PPM, either play him as a deep lying playmaker, advanced playmaker or box-to-box midfielder.

how much?

he sounds great

Wow you got him for a bargain price then. Anyway i think i have paid the highest amount for him. I am with Valencia in my 3rd season and i bought him from Inter where he was a key player. He cost me 30 Mill Pounds. Actually dissapointed to see his stats didnt change in 2015 in one of the posts of the thread.

Lets hope with the opportunities and training he develops into a fine player. He is only 23 in my game and has enough of time ahead of him.

• 4 weeks later...
Try to get him to unlearn that PPM of plays short passes.

Why? It's just a "preferred move". It doesn't meant that's all he'll do. If you set him up with direct passing and lots of through balls he'll still do really well. People take PPM's with too much importance, they are only what they prefer to do.

I got him for free with Valencia, had a good half season then roma bid £19.25m and activated his release clause, was gutted but still a good profit in such a short time... I learnt my lesson and now remember to check all release clauses when offering contracts

In my Standard Liege save, I've been using him as a Box-to-Box midielder wth great success. I'm playing him alongside Witsel and they've led me on a 8 match winning streak (including a win over barca at Camp Nou). He is a class above in the Belgian League and it will be tough keeping him.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if he has a preffered number, because when he arrived I'm fairly sure he didn't. I gave him 25 and a month later its his preferred number? I could have just forgotten it being that way though.

Anyone?

Bought him in two different games, really didnt impressive or improve much. He is a good organizer but if you are looking for someone with cutting passes and killer balls he is not your guy.

Yes he is. Deep lying playmaker supreme.:thup:

• 2 months later...

Never bought him 'cos of his lack of technical ability, although I do manage a large club, so I guess he'd be ok for a 'lesser' club. His mental attributes are amazing but I feel he lacks the technical skill to carry what his football brain is telling him. :(

Maybe I'm wrong, I have heard many people saying he is amazing, but for what clubs and in which leagues, as there are certanly better MCs around IMO.

Because they are/would be a playmaker not a defensive ball winner :rolleyes:

"Although primarily a creative player, the deep-lying playmaker also has to be competent in the art of defence"

Defour cannot tackle well...

Why would you play him in this role instead of advanced playmaker role?

"Although primarily a creative player, the deep-lying playmaker also has to be competent in the art of defence"

Depends on the tactic. In my current Ajax game I've got Defour (signed him on a free a year or so ago :D) and while I usually use him as an AMC (in a 4-2-3-1), if my first choice DLP is injured I drop him back there and he does fine. Probably cos he's got a ball winning midfielder alongside him to cover the tacking side of things. If your DLP is your only deep midfielder, I can't see him doing that well.

Depends on the tactic. In my current Ajax game I've got Defour (signed him on a free a year or so ago :D) and while I usually use him as an AMC (in a 4-2-3-1), if my first choice DLP is injured I drop him back there and he does fine. Probably cos he's got a ball winning midfielder alongside him to cover the tacking side of things. If your DLP is your only deep midfielder, I can't see him doing that well.

Yes, you can use him as deep laying playmaker, with a great ball winning midfielder next to him. For example, with Anthony Annan they are highly complementary.

Deep lying playmakers don't necessarily have to be good at defending, it purely depends on the team setup. If his side/tactic needs someone to play deep and control play and Defour could do that would you still play him as advanced playmaker just because he's more suited to it?

Xavi, Pirlo, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger and Montolivo are all examples of players that drop deep to control play and posession despite not being the greatest defensively.

Deep lying playmakers don't necessarily have to be good at defending, it purely depends on the team setup. If his side/tactic needs someone to play deep and control play and Defour could do that would you still play him as advanced playmaker just because he's more suited to it?

Xavi, Pirlo, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger and Montolivo are all examples of players that drop deep to control play and posession despite not being the greatest defensively.

He was amazing for me as a DLP in my Spurs save. Had him on support with a ball winner next to him and he tore it up with assists and goals. Even became my captain.

indeed.... i love playing the deep lying playmaking role in my teams...

its basically a quarterback role.. sitting deep and spraying the ball about...

tom huddlestone and this lad defour are the best ive ever had in-game..

his mentals make him superb for the role

Archived