Suggestion - Transfer Opinions

At the moment, when we have an offer accepted for a player, we get a message from our assistants telling us whether or not the player is worth signing. I’d like to see this feature expanded.

Board Opinion

Purchase - Do they think it’s value for money? Is this the type of player the club should be trying to sign?

Sale – Do they think I’m getting as much as I could? Are they happy for me to sell this player?

Perhaps the board don’t think this player is the standard that my club should be aiming to bring in and want me to aim higher, or maybe they think the club is in a good enough financial position that we don’t have to sell our best player even though the offer is massive.

Fan Opinion

Purchase – How will this purchase affect fan morale? Are they happy to sign this player from a rival team, even if he is better than anything we currently have?

Sale – How will this sale affect fan morale? Will they be happy to see the back of him or will they be burning Nomis07 puppets outside the stadium?

At the moment, from time to time, we get a message telling us that fans are happy about the new signing or unhappy about the possible negative affects this new signing may have. These views are readily available well before transfers are completed IRL, we should have an idea before we finalise the deal and not find out when the player eventually arrives.

Team Opinion

Purchase – Is player X threatened by Player Y’s imminent arrival? Are the team worried about the disruptive influence that possible signing player X may have?

Sale – Will player X cry when his best mate player Y is sold? How are the team going to react if the star player is sold to a title rival?

Once again, we find out afterwards, but we really should know beforehand.

Obviously, these features shouldn’t have a massive affect on your team or your position, but they should have an affect on our decisions. It would be up to us whether we take these opinions on board or decide that we know best. Either way, we need to feel part of the club and part of the footballing community, atm we don’t know anything unless we try our luck.

Pfft! What a load of nonsense!

Just kidding.

I think that's a terrific bit of thinking. It would certainly mean you'd have to think a lot more about transfer dealings. My only concern is how frustrating it would be if I really wanted to sign a player and everyone else was against it. But that would just be something you'd have to deal with and hope he worked out.

its good thinking but how many times has Wenger signed a player without there even been speculation and what fans even knew Fabregas or Adebayor before they signed, you end up being criticised for signings before you could make them, just leave it as it is

You wouldn't be criticised, it's just an opinion, the criticism would only come if you did sign them and that is what currently happens.

Your Fabregas and Adebayor examples emphasise the point tbh, Arsenal fans will have been thinking "who are these guys" when they were signed, this needs to be conveyed in the game.

Also, it has nothing to do with whether there is speculation or not, the opinions would be based on a fans spokesperson or ass man opinion of the fans possible reaction. There is no need for the fans or papers to know anything about the deal, for you to know what their opinion is going to be.

i also think the press should ask you about new signings more and you should be able to say if you are buying them for the future or not, i hate looking at the poor confidence the board has in my signings when its a 15 year old regen! also i think it would be a good idea to say if you were buying someone as an eventual replacement for someone else or even better, compare a new signing to a past legend, like houllier did when he compared cheyrou to zidane.......

I like the idea, especially as the fans love to criticize your signings anyway. If they had their say during the transfer process, or at least you were aware of the general fan opinion, it would be easier to keep them on side.

For example, i think Wenger knew that the fans would be very up beat about him siging Arshavin, but down beat about him offering a contract extension to Eboue.

At the moment, when we have an offer accepted for a player, we get a message from our assistants telling us whether or not the player is worth signing. I’d like to see this feature expanded.

Board Opinion

Purchase - Do they think it’s value for money? Is this the type of player the club should be trying to sign?

Sale – Do they think I’m getting as much as I could? Are they happy for me to sell this player?

Perhaps the board don’t think this player is the standard that my club should be aiming to bring in and want me to aim higher, or maybe they think the club is in a good enough financial position that we don’t have to sell our best player even though the offer is massive.

Fan Opinion

Purchase – How will this purchase affect fan morale? Are they happy to sign this player from a rival team, even if he is better than anything we currently have?

Sale – How will this sale affect fan morale? Will they be happy to see the back of him or will they be burning Nomis07 puppets outside the stadium?

At the moment, from time to time, we get a message telling us that fans are happy about the new signing or unhappy about the possible negative affects this new signing may have. These views are readily available well before transfers are completed IRL, we should have an idea before we finalise the deal and not find out when the player eventually arrives.

Team Opinion

Purchase – Is player X threatened by Player Y’s imminent arrival? Are the team worried about the disruptive influence that possible signing player X may have?

Sale – Will player X cry when his best mate player Y is sold? How are the team going to react if the star player is sold to a title rival?

Obviously, these features shouldn’t have a massive affect on your team or your position, but they should have an affect on our decisions. It would be up to us whether we take these opinions on board or decide that we know best. Either way, we need to feel part of the club and part of the footballing community, atm we don’t know anything unless we try our luck.

I like the suggestion on expanding the board interaction when it comes to transfers Nomis, but I feel that we can do without the fans and squad interactions.

In real-life, how many managers consult their fans and players before making a decision on new signings? The authority on transfers should always be the board and the manager, never anyone else. Therefore having the fans opinions and squad opinions known after the signings have been made are indeed accurate portrayals of real-life.

The only thing I can think of that would be realistic would be transfer rumors affecting the fans and your squad and them reacting by making their feelings known to you, whether in private or via the press. And that is already in the game! I had a mail in my inbox stating how incredulous my fans were when I was linked to a rival club's star player and that they were categorically against the move. So me being the wimp I am, listened to them. :D

I think people are missing the point. You are not going to be consulting fans or the team, you will get an overview from your Ass Man giving you an idea what the reaction may be e.g.

"Ass Man X believes that certain players in the team will feel threatened by this signing"

"Ass Man X believes that the fans will be impressed by this signing"

Etc etc.

I think people are missing the point. You are not going to be consulting fans or the team, you will get an overview from your Ass Man giving you an idea what the reaction may be e.g.

"Ass Man X believes that certain players in the team will feel threatened by this signing"

Etc etc.

This makes sense, but really you can pretty much figure out the reactions. The fans hate everybody.

Etc etc.

Well regarding certain players in the squad feeling threatened, is that not already in the game? Where fringe players may decide to air their insecurities with you when there are rumors of you signing another player that plays in their position?

As for you suggesting that Assistant Manager reports capture the feelings of the fans regarding potential signings, I feel maybe that might be too much information given if it were to be readily available for every single potential signing.

Maybe there could be an expansion of the transfer rumor news in the inbox? What I mean by that are the times when you receive news claiming that you are interested in signing a certain individual and you would then have options to either verify or deny the rumors. A suggestion would be to then include a portion of the fans' reactions to hearing such a rumor in that same news article. There should be a random factor in the accuracy of this fans' reaction feedback too.

This way, you do not get too much information too easily and lower the risks of upsetting your fans/squad with unwise signings. It may sound perverse but I believe in maintaining this risk, since if it were otherwise, there would be no point in having the fans' confidence module. You would effectively only be letting your fans have more authority in deciding who comes, and of course they would be pleased with the new signings since they were the ones that endorsed them in the first place.

It's not a case of consulting them - it's knowing their views and being able to take them into account or ignore them. You're still in charge.

How does that correspond to real-life though? Does a manager collect the fans' views and take those into mind before making a decision on a signing? I feel that would make transfers more bland and lose the excitement of getting some right and some wrong.

As for the views of the board and the squad, I would not mind those since they are people that you, as a manager, work closely with on a daily basis. So if you want to be able to know their feelings on possible signings fine, but again there should be drawbacks from making too many queries from your players.

I would understand if a manager seeks his important players' views on possible signings and whether they think he would fit in with the culture and mentality of the team, but a manager consulting his fringe player on whether he would be fine with you picking up another player to compete with him? That sounds really dodgy. It should be more of you telling your fringe player he will be getting competition whether he likes it or not, and if he does not, he is free to leave the club.

To be honest, if anything I feel there should be less weightage given to the fans' feelings in your signings. I have no idea what the coefficient of the fan's confidence going into your overall confidence percentage, but I sure hope it is small. Not insignificant for sure but just small.

Most boards, if not all, only lose confidence in a manager if their faith in him has already wavered from poor results or a breaking-down of working relationship. There are few cases where a board really appreciates the manager but are forced to cut him loose because the fans dislike the manager's personality/signings/etc.

And conversely, if results are going their way, which fans would be overly concerned about those players who are on the fringes? Sure they would lament that the signings have been poor, but ultimately the club is doing well, so why start a crusade?

If indeed results are poor and your signings made have been poor and as well, then perhaps there could be a news article or feedback through the fans' confidence module that they are clamoring for you to make a good signing since they do not see anyone in the squad being able to step up and make a difference. No suggestions as to who to buy, but rather just them demanding that you make an effective signing to make up for all those rubbish players you had bought and galvanise your squad. How does that sound?

To be honest, if anything I feel there should be less weightage given to the fans' feelings in your signings. I have no idea what the coefficient of the fan's confidence going into your overall confidence percentage, but I sure hope it is small. Not insignificant for sure but just small.

Most boards, if not all, only lose confidence in a manager if their faith in him has already wavered from poor results or a breaking-down of working relationship. There are few cases where a board really appreciates the manager but are forced to cut him loose because the fans dislike the manager's personality/signings/etc.

Couldn't disagree more, fan pressure and opinion is part and parcel of football these days. There are various examples of fans saving managers, players and costing managers, players their jobs.

Couldn't disagree more, fan pressure and opinion is part and parcel of football these days. There are various examples of fans saving managers, players and costing managers, players their jobs.

I do not deny that fans' opinions matter. But results are still the crux, are they not? Have there been incidents of a successful club's board being concerned that the fans are ignoring their team's good playing form and are having a go at the manager because they do not like the performance of 1 single player? It seems almost ludicrous to me, that.

And I had better make myself clear before someone misunderstands, I am not accusing the game of currently promoting this as I do not know what the weightage of the fans' confidence in your new signings towards the overall board confidence is. All I hope is that that weightage be little.

What fans would consider more important should be match performances and player performances first. If both those are great, then they most probably need not bother about how that one signing you made was off the mark.

However if your team's form has been really patchy and there is hardly any spark of brilliance throughout your team for your fans to cheer about, then they should rightly have a go at you for your failed signings as perhaps better signings would have prevented the mess your team has found itself in.

Does that not seem logical?

P.S. I hope you do not mind the debate heh.

P.S. I hope you do not mind the debate heh.

Goodness me, no. It makes a change to have a debate in GD that doesn't involve swearing or the word fanboy :D

I think you're putting too much emphasis on this feature, it would be cosmetic and shouldn't have a major impact on the game, unless you let it have a major impact on the game.

It's not about player performance, the player won't have played a game for the club, it's about fan perception. An example would be Diouf, one of my mates is a Bolton fan and when he signed for Bolton my mate was gutted and said it would be to the detriment of the team. He hadn't even seen Diouf in a Bolton shirt and he had an opinion on the player and his possible effects. Of course Diouf turned out to be a great signing for them and, in typicla fickle fan style, my mate now thinks he's the bees knees, but the fact remains that the fans had an opinion of the signing before the player even played.

The current system gives us no indication as to ow the fans would feel about a player, it just tells us that they are unhappy after we have signed the player. Of course it is up to us whether we would take the fan opinions on board or not, but it unrealistic to think that managers IRL wouldn't have some idea on how the fans would react given a certain signing.

This feature should not affect the game, it would be entirely cosmetic, but it would affect our decisions, so it would be up to us to decide how we treat the feature rather than have to accept an imposed feature. IMO it would add depth to the management experience.

Team Opinion

This imo is a very good idea :thup: I remember in my Chelsea save, I brought 1 player and 3 players, that's right 3 players got unhappy that there was too much competition for a first team place :confused: Had to loan 1, sell another and play another often even though he is only 18 or so. Surely with a bit of fore-warning I could have done something about it. There could be option in player interaction by which I could convince the other 3 fellows that their position in the club will not change before I buy the new player.

Goodness me, no. It makes a change to have a debate in GD that doesn't involve swearing or the word fanboy :D

Definitely! That term is used way too much in here.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on this feature, it would be cosmetic and shouldn't have a major impact on the game, unless you let it have a major impact on the game.

It's not about player performance, the player won't have played a game for the club, it's about fan perception. An example would be Diouf, one of my mates is a Bolton fan and when he signed for Bolton my mate was gutted and said it would be to the detriment of the team. He hadn't even seen Diouf in a Bolton shirt and he had an opinion on the player and his possible effects. Of course Diouf turned out to be a great signing for them and, in typicla fickle fan style, my mate now thinks he's the bees knees, but the fact remains that the fans had an opinion of the signing before the player even played.

The current system gives us no indication as to ow the fans would feel about a player, it just tells us that they are unhappy after we have signed the player. Of course it is up to us whether we would take the fan opinions on board or not, but it unrealistic to think that managers IRL wouldn't have some idea on how the fans would react given a certain signing.

This feature should not affect the game, it would be entirely cosmetic, but it would affect our decisions, so it would be up to us to decide how we treat the feature rather than have to accept an imposed feature. IMO it would add depth to the management experience.

I think what I interpreted from your suggestion about the fans' opinions on a new signing would be to possibly reduce or even eliminate the chances of fans being unhappy with your signing by trying to see which are the players on your shortlist that would make the best first impressions on fans and then signing him. This would essentially always keep the fans' new signings confidence portion high, thus making it redundant.

As for what you have just brought up about Diouf, this ties in with the hidden attribute "controversy". Players who are controversial tend to attract apprehension and wariness from fans so perhaps there could be a red flag raised whenever you scout well-known players that have poor "controversy" ratings? This ties in with real-life too, since scouts will definitely know whether a player is controversial or not from news articles about training bust-ups, nightclub assaults, court charges, etc.

Then if you should still decide to move ahead and place a bid for the player, and that bid somehow is leaked to the press, you could then get a news article in the inbox stating that your fans are expressing their displeasure that their club could be associating itself with a player of that ilk. This kind of news article is already existent ingame as I had mentioned before with my fans essentially telling me not to sign a rival club's star player, and thus be expanded upon by including well-known controversial players or even well-known injury-prone players to the triggers.

Since we can examine every players' injuries records, we should be able to judge for ourselves whether a player is injury-prone or not, just not to the extent of knowing exactly what value the attribute is at. Like for instance you can safely assume Player X is injury-prone when his injury record shows say 8 injuries that keep him out of matches in the last year.

I would stress on the "well-known" part though. To not take away the risk of you discovering the next Diouf or Bellamy or Bowyer, you should not be able to unmask their ill-repute unless they are perhaps of "continental" rating or higher? So less infamous players should still slip through the radar and be allowed to upset your fans since fewer people would have really heard of their antics whilst they were not yet in the limelight.

I really like this part, mainly because I'd love to see more attention focused on team relationships and off the pitch bonding. The favoured personnel bit just seems a bit too high level and would like to see more players upset if their mate leaves the club - this seem non-existant in FM09, previous versions I remember making a whole starting 11 unhappy!

Board Opinion

Fan Opinion

Team Opinion

Good suggestions there, I particularly like the fans feedback, and the squad feedback although I recon the fans feed back would be flawed as currently my fans are forever "concerned" about the quality youth signings I make simply because they don't go straight into my team.

Archived