Disable Transfer Windows

• SI Staff

There are a number of optional unlockable items in the game of which this is one ....

If you dislike the idea then you can ignore them, if you want to play with them enabled then they give a bit more variety to the gameplay.

The unlockable items are generally either things which you can do via. config files or editors on the PC or things which have in the past been suggested by users on these forums.

(and as I've mentioned they're entirely optional, so if you're someone who wants to play the game as realistically as possible then you can simply ignore them)

In that case, hopefully at least the option to turn off transfer windows will be available in all future versions, even if it isn't an unlockable cheat. It would fit nicely next to the 'Move matches for TV' in the less-realism-more-fun section.

Though I think the wording of 'Disable Transfer Windows' is a little misleading, if that's the exact wording used. It hints at removing transfer windows which would, in effect, remove all ability to transfer players.

• SI Staff

Theres nothing misleading about it, if it said disable transfers then that would be different. Also i don't see how it "hints at removing transfer windows which would, in effect, remove all ability to transfer players."

'Disable Transfer Windows' means like i said in an earlier post doing away with the current system in place IRL and having the old system whereby transfers can happen throught the season.

It sounds misleading to me. If it said "Disable Transfer Window System" it would be different.

Currently, in real life we have transfer windows which are activated during January and close season. If I disable these transfer windows, they would never be activated, so transfers would be disallowed all of the time.

If I disable something, I stop it from ever happening. If I disable popups on my browser, I never get popups. If I disable private messages on a forum system, I never get private messages. If I disable the vibrate function on my phone, it never vibrates. If I disable sound on my monitor, I never hear anything. If I disable transfer windows, the transfer window will never open?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Los Rojiblancos®:

"If I disable transfer windows, the transfer window will never open?" thats your interpretation, however it's not misleading and doesn't make out that transfers are disabled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might not be misleading to you, but it is misleading to me, therefore it is misleading. The wording is unclear in what it means.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Before transfer window was introduced what was in place before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know that every player is going to know what system was in place before the transfer system was? If there was an option that said "Disable Bosman Rulings", what would you think it meant? Would it stop Bosmans being offered? Allow Bosmans to be offered all the time, regardless of age or maybe contracts? Would it go back to the system that was in place before the Bosman rule was introduced? Do you know what the procedures were before the Bosman rule was in place?

I'm simply saying that the wording is unclear. It doesn't matter if you knew what it meant straight away- The wording is not specific in what it means and could easily be mistaken to mean something entirely different.

Hmm...it is perhaps misleading but I don't think anyone would expect that such a fundamental part of the game would have an option to be disabled?

Personally I took it as transfers can be made at any time when the transfer window is disabled.

It sounds misleading to me to.

I think SI should really think better next time they come up with descriptions, this isnt the first time. Remember the Harchester problem? Remove the tick, and you actually enable them.. Counter intuitive too many.

Sorry, but I'm amazed people find that misleading.

The Transfer Window system is something that restricts when you can trade players.

Disabling it clearly means disabling restrictions on transfers.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benoit2:

Why are you amazed btw? Since when do all people think exactly the same? You read it one way, others read it another. Cleary, it can be read in several ways, leading to confusion. fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry if anyone finds the text misleading, I'll consider clarifying it in some manner for a future version - but am confident that the vast majority of FM players are intelligent enough to cope with things in the mean time.

We do put a fair amount of forethought into such things, however what might seem logical and straight forward wording for one person might (as you have indicated) seem confusing for another.

Often this confusion can come about from the way people think about things, especially if someone isn't using English as their first language (because other languages structure sentences differently and this might encourage a different interpretation of things).

Hope this helps,

Marc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benoit2:

Why are you amazed btw? Since when do all people think exactly the same? You read it one way, others read it another. Cleary, it can be read in several ways, leading to confusion. fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly people have read it in ways other than the way in which it is intended, and that's what amazes me.

The notion that anyone would think that "Disable Transfer Windows" could possibly mean shutting down transfers altogether is beyond belief.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

Clearly people have read it in ways other than the way in which it is intended, and that's what amazes me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what can and will happen when you can read it in different ways.

First thing that crossed my mind was that with this option, you wouldnt be able to do any transfers in the first transfer window and therefor had to start the season with the same squad as real life (and option I would love to see for the PC version!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

There are a number of optional unlockable items in the game of which this is one ....

If you dislike the idea then you can ignore them, if you want to play with them enabled then they give a bit more variety to the gameplay.

The unlockable items are generally either things which you can do via. config files or editors on the PC or things which have in the past been suggested by users on these forums.

(and as I've mentioned they're entirely optional, so if you're someone who wants to play the game as realistically as possible then you can simply ignore them) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So is there any way of removing the transfer windows on the PC version then?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So is there any way of removing the transfer windows on the PC version then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - I said 'generally' ... some of them aren't possible on the PC (but people have mentioned they might like the option in the past so I thought I'd try it out on the PSP version and see how it was recieved).

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ranjith:

How do you unlock features?

It it like in other games where you have to acheive objectives? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes thats basically it - when you achieve one of the hidden objectives you'll recieve a news item (which is in the vein of other in-game news items and feels realistic and part of the media - ie. no 'You've defeated the bug-blatter beast and achieved unlocking the key of doom' messages here icon_wink.gif ) which allows you to either enable or ignore (for now) the options opened up.

In this way if you don't want to use the feature you aren't forced to and it keeps things feeling realistic and sane.

Archived