World Class players from obscure nations...

My Andorran striker just claimed the World Footballer of the Year and it got me thinking... what are the odds of getting a world class player from such a tiny nation?

Anybody else get a dominant player from a nation of similar stature?

If Dejan Savicevic would be a montenegrin player today(600.000 people); Lilian Thuram is from Guadeloupe (400.000); Christian Karembeu is from New Caledonia (240.000). However, from Andorra, (75.000) it would be quite surprising, indeed.

I have got a striker who is banging in the goals from New Zealand and also a very promising striker from India. Hardly goldmines for footballing talents ;)

I also have an excellent New Zealand striker, basically i have two wayne rooneys in my united squad now, its fantastic.

Ive seen a few obscure regens that could play at a decent premier league level, but not good enough for my united squad. :p

Its not exactly unexpected that these people will show up sooner or later its just going to be more common to see such players from the bigger footballing nations. If a smaller nation does manage to come up with a few at the same time then you get like what happened with the Hungarian national team.

But these players opted for French as their nationality. I think more regens need second nationalities.

You bet. Actually, the regen random factor should allow small countries to have good/excellent players more often like IRL

And not only adopted french nationality, i assume they moved to france when very young, if not indeed were born in france!

No, both of them were born abroad. Thuram was born at Pointe-à-Pitre and Karembeu at Lifou.

Although Guadeloupe and New Caledonia are <i>départements</i> from FRance, they could be perfectly independent

Archived