Poor Goalkeeper Positioning

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before (I tried searching and didn't find anything but the search is so bad that dosn't mean alot), I havn't seen it mentioned anyway so maybe it isn't a problem for anyone else. For me though the bad goalkeeping is one of the things that makes matches unrealistic.

Heres three examples I seen in one match where the only parts I were the four goals. Both of the keepers are good enough championship keepers but to be honest I'd expect anyone good enough to be a professional player to have a basic standard of positioning etc (I've also noticed this with better keepers too). I'm not a goalkeeper so if anyone more knowledgable wants to disagree with me feel free, but if anyone is just going to tell me they havn't had this problem, the game is perfect and any bugs should just be ignored, don't bother.

Example 1

badpositioning1.jpg

Ball is played into Flood,my keeper is the centre of the goals from his position

badpositioning2.jpg

He then runs (roughly) along the red line going away from the player

badpositioning3.jpg

Then he turns towards the ball

badpositioning4.jpg

By then he has already left a huge gap at the near post

Example 2

badpositioning5.jpg

Ball has just been crossed in from the left

badpositioning6.jpg

badpositioning7.jpg

The keeper comes straight out from the goals despite the fact he has no hope of getting near the ball if thats what he's trying, when he should be in my opinion anyway roughly at the green box getting between the player the ball is going to and the goals.

badpositioning8.jpg

He then almost leaves an open goal to the player with ball

Example 3

badpositioning9.jpg

badpositioning10.jpg

My keeper for no reason I can understand comes out towards the ball

badpositioning11.jpg

As the cross comes in he tries to get back to the goals

badpositioning12.jpg

Then to make it worse he decides to come out to ball and basically leaves an open goal

I see alot of goals scored at the keepers near post because of this (general bad positioning and rushing out not the third goal specifically), a place I thought keepers were supposed to have covered and rarely conceed goals there. I'd also just like to point out this happens for and against me and I'm doing quite well so this isn't a rant about the game being to hard or because I dropped two points.

I have not noticed much of this playing in the Premiership to be honest. Do you see this happen a lot in your game, as in occurring in many matches?

What are the individual tactical instructions you set for your goalkeeper as well as what are his "Rushing out", "Eccentricity", "Positioning" and "Decisions" attributes like?

If his attributes are the cause of him conceding advantageous positions to the opposition's forwards, perhaps the same can be explained for the opposition goalkeeper doing the exact same for your forwards. Tactics might be an issue for the opposition AI as well, just that we cannot see what their settings are.

Moreover, I feel this is quite realistic and reflective of real-life too. Some goalkeepers are never comfortable dealing with crosses and often make gaffes as they try to go for the ball and end up providing the opposition with a almost wide open goal. There could be lapses in concentration as well, that cause mistakes to occur.

Archived