Am I in Europe?

OK I finished 6th in the Championship and won the playoffs on pens but I got to the final of the FA Cup as well

Unfortunately I was trashed by Arsenal in it 3-0 (could have been double that, I had 1 shot all game they had over 20) but as they won the Prem and therefore are already in the CL through their league pos does that mean the UEFA Cup/Europa League place is mine.

I cant remember the exact rules but Im sure it should go to the runners up in the FA Cup if the team that wins are already in Europe, but Im not sure about the rules for the new Europa League, I imagine they should be the same, right?

I think he's in Europa League jod. :D

I am pretty sure I heard something under the new rules in reality anyway that the runners-up do not qualify in that situation any more and another place goes to the league. They may have only being considering that though so I could be talking rubbish. :rolleyes::D

I agree with you Rancer, I am pretty sure that the runner-up qualifys for the UEFA Cup...

Yeah they do for the UEFA Cup but what about the Europa League which it will be next season? As I said I think one of the rule changes was that this no longer happened.

Wikipedia:

"Historically, if the winners have already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the Premier League, the UEFA Cup place goes to the FA Cup runners-up. However, FIFA (sic) has changed the requirements for this runners-up rule. Beginning with the UEFA Europa League, the UEFA Cup place will be given to the highest finishing Premier League team that has not qualified for European competition if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified."

Yeah they do for the UEFA Cup but what about the Europa League which it will be next season? As I said I think one of the rule changes was that this no longer happened.

jod123 will be right on this issue.

The UEFA Cup will be reformated into the UEFA Europa League for season 2009/2010 and beyond. What this means is that qualification rules for the Europa League will be in place in season 2008/2009, i.e. this season in real-life.

So the old qualification rules of having the FA Cup losing finalists qualifying for the UEFA Cup if the winning finalists have already qualified for Europe is now obsolete.

Just read up on it and it says that the FA Cup winners will enter the Europa League in the 'Play-off Round' but it doesn't say anything about what happens if the FA Cup winner has already waulified for the Champions League...

Wikipedia:

"Historically, if the winners have already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the Premier League, the UEFA Cup place goes to the FA Cup runners-up. However, FIFA (sic) has changed the requirements for this runners-up rule. Beginning with the UEFA Europa League, the UEFA Cup place will be given to the highest finishing Premier League team that has not qualified for European competition if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified."

Thanks for clearing that up mate. I stand corrected.

4457 explains it with his quote in post #13. :)

Edit: This is a pointless post seeing that you have already read 4457's post. Where is the 'delete' button doh..

If you go to edit and then delete it will delete your post. :D

Anyway at least 4457 cleared it up. :thup:

Wahey! Thanks jod123, learnt something new today! :D

He has a habit of doing things like that for people, it's sickening in a way that he feels the need to actually help others out and lend a hand, and he is always so nice about it too, very disturbing behaviour IMO

If only fewer people were like jod, these forums would be a marvellous place to be

:p

To try to veer towards being on topic, I didn't actually know about the change made to the qualification for Europe, tis nice to learn something

He has a habit of doing things like that for people, it's great in a way that he feels the need to actually help others out and lend a hand, and he is always so nice about it too, very refreshing IMO

If only a few more people were like jod, these forums would be a marvellous place to be

:)

Fixed it. :D

Nice to learn something new everyday. :D

jod is clearly trying to get into the good books of everyone. He's a bit too nice though, there must be deeper, darker secret about him. ;)

I think it's for his political campaign to become either a mod of the SI Forums, or the Prime Minister of Ireland. Whichever comes first I suppose. ;):D

jod is clearly trying to get into the good books of everyone. He's a bit too nice though, there must be deeper, darker secret about him. ;)

I think it's for his political campaign to become either a mod of the SI Forums, or the Prime Minister of Ireland. Whichever comes first I suppose. ;)

I know what you mean, there is definitely something not quite right about him, no one is that nice all the time, very suspicious :p

Jod for Prime Minister of Ireland! :D

Why are you two always picking on me? :p

Do you two want me to develop an evil streak or something? :D

I think he's in Europa League jod. :D

Oh yeah I generally don't like gloating about me being right and someone else being wrong but in you're case, rancer, I'll make an exception. Did I say that too nicely? ;)

Why are you two always picking on me? :p

Do you two want me to develop an evil streak or something? :D

I can't speak for rancer but I am hoping that one day I will see on the news that a town in Ireland has been plagued with a nutter going round shaving "jod123" into peoples cats, a sure sign that we have pushed you over the edge :D

I can't speak for rancer but I am hoping that one day I will see on the news that a town in Ireland has been plagued with a nutter going round shaving "jod123" into peoples cats, a sure sign that we have pushed you over the edge :D

So you are being evil and are trying to make me evil? :p

:D I'll be sure to let you know if I hear anything about that in the news over here. Smartest thing to do jod, is to wait until you become taoiseach, then go nuts.:thup:

:D I'll be sure to let you know if I hear anything about that in the news over here. Smartest thing to do jod, is to wait until you become taoiseach, then go nuts.:thup:

Yeah that is not a bad idea you have there ahmufcwafc. At least you are trying to help me unlike the others. :p

Archived