Closed Thread

Thread: FM Has A Fantastic (Unofficial) Fanzine!

Sports Interactive David Kempshall's Avatar

You can download it here...

The Bootroom Edition 1

Semi Pro

the link doesn't work for me

Semi Pro

Originally posted by David - SEGA:

The Bootroom Edition 1
    thats better

Amateur

Originally posted by David - SEGA:

The Bootroom Edition 1
    Thanks. Looks great. Downloading it now.

First Team Squad Member

A great read.

Semi Pro

And when is FM going to have a great (official) patch?

Amateur

Originally posted by eXistenZ:
    confused what this has to do with teh fanzine ??

Amateur

excellent stuff, KUTGW!!

Amateur

only thing i would have liked to see would be the player profiles they used to have in the old FM magazine where the players would comment on their stats. Maybe next time eh?

Great read though, well done to all concerned.

Youth Team

Originally posted by rooneymagic88:
    only thing i would have liked to see would be the player profiles they used to have in the old FM magazine where the players would comment on their stats. Maybe next time eh?
    It's a good idea, but will take a lot more blagging for an amateur fanzine to get interviews than it would for SI.

You never know though. It could be worth a try.

Amateur

Excellent work.

Amateur

I just posted a very detailed review on the first issue:

http://blog.getsacked.net/2007/12/20/the-bootroom-issue...t-sacked-review.aspx

Amateur

Originally posted by playmaker:
    quote:
    Originally posted by rooneymagic88:
    It's a good idea, but will take a lot more blagging for an amateur fanzine to get interviews than it would for SI.

Lots of people on here claim to know real life players, maybe they could help?

You never know though. It could be worth a try.

Reserves

Good job

Youth Team

Originally posted by JordanC:
    I just posted a very detailed review on the first issue:

http://blog.getsacked.net/2007/12/20/the-bootroom-issue...t-sacked-review.aspx
    Thanks for the review - 7.5 out of 10 is a pretty good start for a baby fanzine! There are one or two points I would like to pick up, partucularly on the following statement:

"One primary job of any media endeavor is to provide the public with a centrist view of current events as well as editorial commentary that shows both positive and negative sides."

View From The Touchline 100% covers that statement in my opinion.

Negatives - not a big leap forward, wrong choice of features, nearly didn't buy it, the white skin, closing down bug and slow matches (written pre-patch), questioned decision to release beta, small mistakes have a big effect.

Positives - The complexity of such a game makes bugs inevitable, I like the game anyway.

The article was never intended as some kind of expose or to be Devil's Advocate. The forum has more than exhausted any new angle on criticism and I wanted to go somewhere new - to understand why this happens and rather frustratingly, why it will probably continue to happen. This forum is not a pleasant place to be right now and I didn't really want to continue that atmosphere into my first article for the fanzine.

The one thing that perhaps could be different was to have updated the article after the patch, but I didn't feel that it would change the main idea of the article and wanted to concentrate on getting enough material together.

As for Miles interview, it was a good read and to write it off as a puff piece is a bit unfair. I learnt a lot about Miles role in the company. We will hopefully work our way round the SI staff, so Ter has already answered questions on the reaction to the skin and hopefully we can speak to Paul Collyer somewhen and get some insight into the match engine.

We don't have to answer all the world's ills in one edition of the magazine!

Anyway, other than that thanks for the kind words about my writing. I haven't been hiding as such - I used to write for the original incarnation of the Bootroom and I have posted a lot of ideas on this forum in the past. Less so recently because those threads don't get the response they used to. The fanzine is a much better vehicle, so if anyone has any subjects they would like to be tackled in the Big Idea then drop us a line. Next month will be about the much needed expansion of team talks.

Amateur

I'm glad you took the time to respond to a lot of the feedback I offered in the review. This back-and-forth sharing of viewpoints is a positive way to further the magazine. Regardless of my exact opinions with some of the perspective, I'm totally in your corner as far as making sure this project reaches its highest potential.

I really had to address the journalistic issue in the Jacobsen piece because I was attempting to read the magazine using different views within the scene. In no way was the interview bad (I did like the questions about FM Live) but I believe when a lot of readers see "Q&A w/ Miles Jacobsen" they would expect at least one question about the supposed "bugs", patch releases & future fixes. I think that would have been more relevant to FM gamers than a few choices in the questions asked.

Failure to "ask the tough questions" as said within the media industry can sometimes come across, although unwarranted, as a form of appeasing or sucking up to the subject. Especially with the zine being hosted on SI Games with a sticky on top of the GQ forum, it could portray to many users as sactioned literature by the company. As with all media that's controlled by governments, it's typically not trusted very well by the general public.

You're completely unaffiliated and independent though. I know this. You know this. I'm just concerned that many people (mostly the critics of SI) can easily and wrongfully assume the zine as "propaganda". I'm typically on the "fanboy" end of the spectrum and I noticed the seemingly obvious omission of critical view (not asking Miles about bug issues). Imagine the thought in the minds of the countless "moaners"?

You've done a great job nonetheless and applaud all the effort. Like I said in the review, it's an absolute read for any FM gamer. I look forward to the next issue and will review it with the same depth and passion as I have this one.

Amateur

Thanks for the review and for your follow-up comments and I'm grateful that you've offered both criticism and praise where you think it is merited.

While I don't agree 100% with everything you said, it's invaluable to get a different viewpoint and I'm sure that we can take some of your concerns on board. With the exception of Pete, I don't believe any of us have had any prior experience with writing material for public consumption, so we're on a steep learning curve.

However, I'd like to clear up one thing, which is important to me at least. While you suggest that we need to take a 'journalistic' stance and be seen to be asking the tough questions of people like Miles, I completely disagree. The community is already populated by hundreds of regularly updated fansites and thousands of forum threads, with a depressing tendency towards the "This game is broken!" style reaction and everyone seems to feel they are entitled to answers and within their rights to demand patches/explanations/apologies/refunds. If people really want to slag off the game, then there are plenty of places to go. I'm quite happy that we can be something different.

I'd much rather concentrate on what's good about the game, it's community and the guys that develope and produce the game. While we don't intend to gloss over it's faults, what need is there to drag on about them? That's exactly why everyone shares the opinion that the majority of fan forums are not nice places to go. At times there will be a need to point out faults in this game, but when we do (and it didn't feel it was necessary in the very first issue) we'll aim to do it from the point of putting it into the context of the experience as a whole. I mean, lets face it, we're all playing (and taking about) this 'unplayable', 'bug-laden', 'disgrace' of a game and 99% of us are having a great time! If it's that bad, why does it outsell all others every year and continue to grow such a massive following? It ain't perfect, but it's still damn good!! Let's celebrate it and enjoy it...

Amateur

I absolutely agree with your approach to not beat a dead horse since many fansites/forums have already been flooded with the kneejerk reaction to the current match engine. I think it was well serviced in the "Domino Toppling" piece. Concentrating on other aspects of the FM experience such as the stories (although I'm not big into it personally) and the where are they now?/Herbert Chapman articles I consider to be a GREAT choice of material.

Interviews, on the other hand, tend to have the greatest impact when the magazine seems to act as a liason connecting the the reader's mind to the person in question. It's always best when preparing the interview to think "what would our audience like to know most about this person or his opinions on a certain issue?".

Not to plug my podcast or claim the best interview skills, but in my feature with WWFan, I didn't want the conversation to be just an audio version of his tactical guides. In order to maintain freshness, keep current and provide unique insight, I made sure we went into depth about these match engine issues. In preparation, I said to myself "what would listeners like to hear WWFan's thoughts on?" Being that it's discussed constantly on forums, failing to address this main topic seemed like a disservice. I believed I succeeded in presenting it in the best light with constructive ideas that isn't neccessarily addressed across the FM community.

A decent analogy is getting an interview with George W. Bush right after the Iraq war, never asking him any questions about it and spending more time discussing "boxers or briefs?". (I know it's an exaggerative example)

That's why I liked the FM Live questions because it's something fresh that a lot of people are itching and waiting in anticipation for its public release. My general theory I'm trying to express is to concentrate more in that direction in future interviews. You can still include basic "get to know" type material at the beginning and end, but dedicate the bulk to current affairs and an a "scoop" that can't be found elsewhere. That's what makes a must-read feature.

I come from a broadcasting background though so maybe I'm just a tad bit biased with my view based on my education and experience. I'm also a stubborn over-analytical psycho perfectionist! LOL If it seems like I'm a little harsh with this matter, I apologize. For a fanzine that rose out of nowhere apparently, it's a hundred times better than I would have expected previously...so don't feel disheartened with my criticism. I do it out of love! LOL

Youth Team

In the end, our target audience is people who enjoy the game, or could enjoy the game with a little guidance. It's been nice to recapture some of the joy of playing FM and I genuinely believe that we can have more influence on the game with this approach. Not everyone will agree with that, but so far we have had a much better reaction than I ever anticipated.

Semi Pro

Originally posted by sir_walton:
    quote:

By looking on the numbers of treads on this site, i think there are more people that want a patch than a fanzine.

Youth Team

quote:
    Originally posted by sir_walton:
    quote:

By looking on the numbers of treads on this site, i think there are more people that want a patch than a fanzine.

Did I miss the rule that says 'thou shalt not enjoy a second of life until the patch is out'?

As you say, there are plenty of threads deidicated to the decay of modern society due to the evil empire sending killer bugs to destroy FM and ultimately the world. Can we not just have one little corner that has nothing to do with the patch?

Semi Pro

Well maybe you are rich as hell, but i paid a hard-earned 50€ two months ago, with still no result.

Youth Team

Well maybe you are rich as hell, but i paid a hard-earned 50€ two months ago, with still no result.
    I have an overdraft of £1200, nearly £4000 on the credit card, I'm trying to start a business so we have to rely on my wife's income which was reduced to virtually nothing while she was on maternity leave, so if that is your best argument then you need to try a little harder.

Fair enough if you are not interested in a fanzine, fair enough if you don't feel you can play the game, but other people are interested and are enjoying the game.

Semi Pro

Some people are quicker happy than others. And by looking on this forum, there are a lot of people not happy

1200£, i think 1 football manager is not a big disaster.

I have pocket money of 30€/ month, so 50€ is for me a lot of money. I did a job in the holydays, but that is money to set aside, and it is even no way reaching 1200£.

Sports Interactive Nick Habershon's Avatar

Great work, guys. Passion for the game comes across in abundance from reading it. It's this sort of thing which inspires us to keep putting every effort into the game we make.

Amateur

Originally posted by Nick:
    Great work, guys. Passion for the game comes across in abundance from reading it. It's this sort of thing which inspires us to keep putting every effort into the game we make.

Cheers Nick.

Amateur

Nice read
    Hope to see many more in the future.

Amateur

Congratulations!

I'm really impressed by the quality. I'll be looking forward to the next one.
    And thanks for all your hard work on it.

Truly a great idea and very well done! Congratulations, I am very impressed and am awaiting more

Third Team

Great work; a good and useful read.

I don't know if you have already considered this, but the people here think that the Mighty Bandits deserve a mention in the next issue. I'm sure kipfish would be happy to talk to you. KUTGW

Amateur

We're very conscious that our entire staff, currently, all hail from the UK. If there are any FMers out there from other countries that would be interested in writing something for us (obviously, since we publish only in English, you'll need to have strong written English) then we'd be very keen to hear from you.

Maybe you could write us some club/league/player guides for your home nation or those that border it? Maybe there's something you feel that needs to be covered that only someone from could truly capture?

Drop us a line...

fmfanzine@tiscali.co.uk

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

Great work to the guys that made it! A superb read! I particulary liked the Club feature on Portsmouth!

Amateur

Manchester United Researcher
    4) Coldberg won't stop until you've facepalmed yourself into a coma

great effort lads, thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

First Team Squad Member
    If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

was a good read, going to get my hands on a new skin on the reccommendations.

First Team Squad Member
    If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Maybe you could write us some club/league/player guides for your home nation or those that border it? Maybe there's something you feel that needs to be covered that only someone from could truly capture?
    That wouold be class. I always get confused when i go to manage in some foreign leagues and i dont really know the structure of it

Amateur

superb reading, improved my game approach and experience a lot !

Cant wait for the next

do you know any players who have good abilities?

Amateur

[QUOTE]Some say they still live with their
    mothers and that they are no
    longer welcome in Belgium. All we
    know is that they’re called Jose.[/QUOTE}

Classic top gear rip off!

Love the fanzine, here's to many more being produced! Always did think it was a shame of the loss of the magazine. Obviously sales figures meant it was not financially viable, but it's great to have a more than capable substitute!

Amateur
    Boston Utd - Barclays Premier League - 2031/32

I thought that this was very good fanzine: I cannot wait until the next one!

But I do have one question about the section 'Adding Content: Coach Reports': the article states that you need to save it to the name of the skin that you are using. However, I would like to add this to the default skin. How do you do this?

Thank you for this in advance.

Amateur

Originally posted by pcmeister:
    But I do have one question about the section 'Adding Content: Coach Reports': the article states that you need to save it to the name of the skin that you are using. However, I would like to add this to the default skin. How do you do this?
    Since there has still been no sign of the official FMF extraction tool, which you need to gain access to any of the files distributed with the game, editing the default skin is not easy. to do so, you'd need a third party extractor and the knowledge of how to do so. Unfortunately, this is beyond my scope, so I'm afraid I can't offer any more help than to point you in the direction of the Graphics and Skinning Forum. Hopefully some one there could find a solution for you.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that...

Youth Team

The best compromise is to get Ackter's Metallic skin (the default skin with minor colour tweaks) and save it there.

Is it monthly fanzine?

When will the next fanzine release?

Youth Team

Yes, it is monthly.

Part-timer

great work guys! good read

Semi Pro

Great Work Guys..

I loved the Team Review of Portsmouth, I hope its a monthly feature. In defunct mag M, they had a feature of saved game, where fans could send in save games, which they were having problems with. This would be a great feature to get back up and running imo.

Great Stuff

Amateur

Very nice read.

Keep up the good work.

Amateur

I'm already looking forward to the next issue, started reading it and just couldn't stop, interesting and I learned some things at the same time, keep up the great work!

Amateur

First day back at work after the holidays and I cant say how much I enjoyed "easing back into work mode" by reading the fanzine. By that I mean not doing much work at all.

Great work guys, I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity of material and the manner in which it was written

Amateur

Thanks again for the feedback. Please keep it coming.

FYI We've set the release of Issue Two for Jan 25th and we've got a bunch of stuff planned for you.

We're particularly keen to hear what you'd like to see covered in future issues, so keep sending us your ideas.

Amateur

Fantastic fanzine guys, keep it up. Will there be a club feature in every issue?
    I love the skin reviews. I got steklo, black-in2 and Flex.
    The idea about the set-piece designer is great. Maybe SI will look at it and put it into FM09.

Amateur

Originally posted by varun↕§☺☻♫:
    Fantastic fanzine guys, keep it up. Will there be a club feature in every issue?
    Yep. We're aiming to have at least one club guide in every issue. We'll try to cover a mix of clubs from around the world. If you have any suggestions for clubs you'd like to see covered, just let us know. (Or maybe you'd like to write a club review for us?

I love the skin reviews. I got steklo, black-in2 and Flex.
    Expect more of the saem in Issue Two. Three more stonkers for you to try out.

The idea about the set-piece designer is great. Maybe SI will look at it and put it into FM09.
    Agreed. It'd be a great addition to the game and something that a lot of people have been asking for. Hopefully it's already on their list of future developements.

Amateur

Great read looking forward to the next issue already

Really good stuff lads

Youth Team
    I used to chase eggs. Now I am just trying not to respond to eegits.

Playmaker. I know you're involved with this but not sure how much so not sure if you can answer this.

Why hs the magazine been produced in it's current format?

I mean why is it a file that needs to be downloaded and viewed on acrobat?

For me to view it comfortably, I have to magnify it to 200%. When I do this I am only able to view half the eidth of the screen at any one time and the overall effect of the production is pretty much lost.

Would it not be possible to have the presentation done on a website that is clearer to see and easier to navigate?

Maybe it's just a question of cost and or resources so please don't take this too much as a negative.

The reason I mention this is that although I downloadec this a couple(ish) of weeks ago, (on the day it was first posted up here), I have given up after about 5-6 attempts to read it.

Sorry if this is a bit negative, and just so I finish on a positive I'll say that I absolutely loved the content ans will be downloading the next issue and struggling through it again.

Cheers .

Youth Team

Thanks for the feedback Jimbo. I've replied to your mail as well (or I will do shortly).

I'm surprised you have to go up to 200%, it displays quite nicely at 100% on my screen. I'm running at 1280 - is your resolution higher/lower/the same?

The format will probably stay the same, at least for now, but that is not to say it won't change later. It has enabled us to market the fanzine in a different way than if we were a website.

Also Chris is they guy who puts it all together once we have written the articles. He puts in a lot of work (there would be no fanzine without him) and the format is one that he is comfortable with producing (and presumably has the software for). I'm sure you will agree that struggling to read it in this format is better than nothing to read at all. I hope you agree anyway!

Behind the scenes we have put some work into improving the process of producing the fanzine, so we need to get a feel for how that works before we can even think about other alterations. For the moment it is a case of going with what we know works.

Youth Team
    I used to chase eggs. Now I am just trying not to respond to eegits.

Thanks for the reply, (I haven't checked my mail yet).

Yeah, I don't have the best of monitors so maybe that's partly the issue, (and the fact that I like to sit back nice an comfortably rather than hunch up over the screen).

Of course I agree that anything is better than nothing, and this first effort is significantly better than nothing.

KUTGW.

Youth Team

Jimbo, thanks for the feedback - part of the reason I chose to go for a PDF is that almost everyone can open the file. Some of the images and especially screenshots need to be visable and dropping them into another type of document would make this impossible

Also, the ability to print the fanzine and read it was key - I didn't want people to be playing the game and then having to stop playing to read articles, when the game is loading etc its great to have a hard copy to look at. So really the fanzine it designed to be read onscreen and printed to read when the computer is off. Don't know about you but I can't sit a read a whole fanzine on a screem - my eyes are killing after a few pages!!

At the moment I don't have the software or the knowhow to add this file on the web as a viewable file, something like 'the catflap' but it would be great to be able to get this done in the future. So in the future issues you may see a web version of the 'zine!

Thanks for the comments though, issue two is well on the way so more suggestionsare welcome - we need your help to make this even better!

Amateur

Whens the next issue out?

Youth Team

The next issue is penciled for release the end of next week, we will keep you updated!

A good clue is how many messages you will see - the more we post the close release date is!

Thanks for the interest!

Amateur

We're all sure you'll all like the next edition just as much as the first, hopefully more than!

Any more feedback is appreciated, and if anyone wants to do guides for their national leagues and/or clubs, get in touch!

Reserves

Can't wait for #2. The first one was wonderfully professional, entertaining and informative

Amateur

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:
    Can't wait for #2. The first one was wonderfully professional, entertaining and informative
    Thankyou. We're glad you appreciated it. Another one on it's way, including...

• More club guides
    • An interview the one and only Ter
    • Part two of 'The Wengerboys' story
    • Another great collection of skins reviewed
    • Your chance to take part in 'The Bootroom' exclusive sign-up challenge![/list]
      Plus much, much more!!

Planned release date: Friday 25th January.

Can you afford to miss it?

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

Originally posted by betterspud:

• Should be rivetting

Amateur

Originally posted by williamshankley:
    quote:
    Originally posted by betterspud:

• Should be rivetting

Ouch!! Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Amateur

Personally I can't wait, gives me something great to read whilst FM is processing.

Part-Timer

On a side note can't wait till the next issue! Very good so far!

Youth Team

Guys, to update you all looks like issue two's release will be delayed until Monday at the earliest.

Apologies to anyone waiting for the 'zine, but we will ensure its up to scratch before its unleashed!

Amateur

Yup! Unfortunately real life has got in the way again! Sorry all.

We'll get it out to you ASAP. Watch this space...

Amateur

Looking forward to it...

Amateur

Ok, I'm on my lunch break....where is it? ;-)

Youth Team

It is on the way...honest!

Its probably going to be another day or so, sorry to let you all down, I guess if we were getting paid it would be easier to prioritise!!

Part-Timer

Hope the completion of the seond edition is close!

Youth Team

Originally posted by williamshankley:
    Hope the completion of the seond edition is close!
    Just awaiting the finishing touches, but no promises of the exact day or time.

Youth Team

We should have the new release out this afternoon!

Thanks for your patience, hopefully it is rewarded with a bumper 62 page second issue!

Amateur

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing it

Youth Team

Issue Two is here!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xcreb3

Thanks again for waiting, its been a frustrating time, but its almost twice the size of issue one so it should be a good read!

Download size is about 8MB - a lot smaller than issue One.

Amateur

Thanks very much!!!!! You are legends!!!!!

Part-Timer

Originally posted by The_Mack2007:
    Thanks very much!!!!! You are legends!!!!!
    WHS

Amateur

Nice one, cheers, downloading it now.

Amateur

Ok guys. First download mirror available, courtesy of Rob at FM Portal. What are you waiting for? Go get it!

Bootroom - Issue 2

Amateur

Hey guys,

Good work!

Loved the first issue, second issue definatley wasn't a dissapointment.

Your challenge looks an appetising one and i shall definatley be trying it myself when it becomes available.

KUTGW!!

Amateur

Cheers TownForThePrem.

We've got all the positions filled in the sign up, so should hopefully have the save game available tomorrow or saturday!

Will be interesting to see how well everyone does, hopefully there will be a good story or two to come out of it as well.

Amateur
    If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will

Nice....thanks for all the hard and good work guys

Amateur

Amateur

Simply Faaannnnnnnntaaaaaaaaasssssticccccccc!!!

Amateur

"The Bootroom is currently looking for new writers."

We are currently looking for passionate, creative, intelligent writers to join our little team. If you feel that you fit that description, then we'd love to hear from you.

Specifically, we'd very much like to find someone to cover...

• FM Stories
    • Tactics (Creating & Understanding)
    • FM Live
    • Alternative platforms (Handheld & Imminent XBox 360 release)
    • Graphics & Skinning
    • Any other new & original content[/list]

If you have some expertise or knowledge of any of these areas and can spare a few hours each month to share your views, then we'd love to hear from you.

Mail, on this or any subject to: fmfanzine@tiscali.co.uk

Part-Timer

Love it - particularly like the Bootroom challenge and the new invincibles

Amateur

Is there any reason why when I try to download this on a broadband connection it downloads at a speed of around 5.5k per second when any other file is around the 150k a second mark?

Amateur

You might be better going here mate!

Amateur

Originally posted by WillT23:
    You might be better going here mate!
    Cheers. Got it now.

Amateur

I heard the Issue 3 is released?? True or not..

Amateur

Just getting on to reading the 2nd edition. Nice to have an online fanzine, I can remember when I lived in the UK at one point there was a magazine fanzine in the shops.

Is that still going?

Amateur

The find feature is great atlast !! There is a link..

http://www.getmanaging.com/fm/index.cfm

Just click on the BootRoom Issue 3 picture..

Thanks guys and keep up the good work..

Third Team

Yes, its true. Issue 3 is also available at http://rapidshare.com/files/97961971...ssue_Three.pdf

Part-Timer

Can't find issue 3 anywhere.

They should get pinned on here. Much better than the rubbish podcasts.

Third Team

Err..

You can't find it at either of the two links in the posts directly above yours?

Part-Timer

rapidshare did not work for me. Got it off the other link though.

• Closed Thread