It is absolutely ridiculous

So i am burnley and after 30 games I was on the same points as arsenal at the top of the prem. I would have been alot further ahead but for the short story I will tell you now

In my last 12 games the opposition keeper has been man of the match and incredible, no make that a ludicrous 9 times

9 TIMES IN 12 GAMES!!!!!!!

After 34 games I am now 7 points behind arsenal with little or no chance of retaining the league I won last year.

It just makes me sick. I am on the latest patch but is there something added to that patch that has made the keepers better?

So i am burnley and after 30 games I was on the same points as arsenal at the top of the prem. I would have been alot further ahead but for the short story I will tell you now

In my last 12 games the opposition keeper has been man of the match and incredible, no make that a ludicrous 9 times

9 TIMES IN 12 GAMES!!!!!!!

After 34 games I am now 7 points behind arsenal with little or no chance of retaining the league I won last year.

It just makes me sick. I am on the latest patch but is there something added to that patch that has made the keepers better?

good results!! may I ask which tactic you use with Burnley?

Thanks

Wijnand

It might of course be his strikers, but why should they suddenly start doing so after 30 matches? It also seems like they managed to hit the target recent years, so what has changed..?

I've seen this suddenly "drop of form" myself, and also with some of my buddies. However it always seems like they're coming in combination with the other keepers being incredible. I'm not saying it is a bug or some kind of conspiracy, but could anyone guarantee that it's not the games way of "adjusting" things. It would be easier to understand if the team just started playing crappy, but from what I have seen, I have the same amount of shots at goal, it's just that I stop scoring (and the opposition often nets one)

My strikers are terrible finishers despite being Fernando Torres/Sergio Aguero (I only play one up front). When I won the league and championsh league in my last season, my top goalscorer was...Fabricio Fazio - Centre Back with over 20 goals :rolleyes: Torres was joint 2nd with Dario Srna on 15. The amount of one on ones my strikers miss is shocking considering their abilities. They generally do just shoot straight at the keeper, the variation of attempts is really low - something that imo needs addressing for the match engine to become sustainable.

Why on earth do people think the game wants to 'adjust things' to stop the player from winning anything??

Think about it rationally, your Burnley team are joint top of the league and are therefore obviously winning a lot of games. Teams now fear you and play more defensively, this means more half chances and long range shots as your players may struggle to break down a packed defence.

This leads to good ratings for opposition keepers as they are saving a lot more attempts at goal.

You need to adjust your tactics to break down packed defences, this will likely result in fewer, but better quality chances.

The game doesn't have it in for you, you know.

Why on earth do people think the game wants to 'adjust things' to stop the player from winning anything??

Think about it rationally, your Burnley team are joint top of the league and are therefore obviously winning a lot of games. Teams now fear you and play more defensively, this means more half chances and long range shots as your players may struggle to break down a packed defence.

This leads to good ratings for opposition keepers as they are saving a lot more attempts at goal.

You need to adjust your tactics to break down packed defences, this will likely result in fewer, but better quality chances.

I think the argument thrown around here is that the better your tactics and players, the more CCC's your team will create. Once you start creating a certain amount off CCC's your conversion rate goes down dramatically, and your forwards start blazing balls over the net and at keeper. This where I see the "AI adjustment/tampering" mentioned around these boards, and in my games I've noticed the same.

I can't talk about the quality of one CCC as compared to another. No real way of measuring that. Quality of finishing I can measure, and it takes a steep nose dive at a certain point.

If they are the same players that you have had over the past few years it may be down to stamina. A long season could be taking its toll on the players as they are now a few years older than they were when they could do nothing wrong

The opposite can happen.... in my 2nd AFC Wimbledon season I had a real patchy start and didn't really begin to get any kind of run going until late November. From that point on I went unbeaten to the rest of the season and finished top.

Try being top of the EPL (when your only supposed to finish 4th), with 10 games to go. You'll see some weird behavior. Morale will drop for no reason. Defenders will hack down opponents to give away penalties after the ball has been cleared. Comments in press conferences which, until now, have always elicited a positive response have no effect. You'll need 3-4 times as many chances to score as you previously did. Try switching tactics eh? Doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

I'm sure this is all down to the team "choking" but...

It might of course be his strikers, but why should they suddenly start doing so after 30 matches? It also seems like they managed to hit the target recent years, so what has changed..?

Drogba, for example? Hernan Crespo? Berbatov? Thierry Henry?

All world class players who have been consistent previously but are not any more. I know the OP is talking about mid-season slumps, but things happen like this all the time. And if you are playing for Burnley at the top of the table you are bound to feel the pressure more than if you are playing for Arsenal.

Also, I didn't read anything about tweaking the old tactics a bit. If the OP hasn't done this, I suggest some minor changes. Perhaps IF the STs are on high attacking mentality, drop this to "normal" - it may mean that they don't snatch at their shots so much, reduce the pressure on them, that sort of thing.

I do love it when people think the game is consciously making them lose/draw/throw the title.

I'll share my own little ridiculous story. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is quite annoying. I took my created side from the BSS league in two seasons to the Conference. I checked the last two seasons to see what type of points would be needed to get promoted. The champions of the last two years got 79 points, and 81 points, respectively.

Fair enough, I'll give it a crack. Finished the season on 93 points, which i'm very happy with, as my first season in the league. Yeah, I finished third. Someone else got 93 points and the league winners marched away with 102 points.

Edit: I did end up winning the play-off final 4-0.

For those wondering, it means taking pleasure in the misery of others.

Ok, I'll admit I was wondering :D

As for the OP - does happen to me a lot as well, annoys me tbh. I try to train all my strikers to place shots and/or go round the keeper, which lessens this particular phenomenon somewhat.

My strikers are vela and Benzema they have a crazy amount of one on ones and either miss or hit the keeper when it is easier to score. 9 mom's in 12 matches is just crazy. I have rotated the strikers with balotelli and paloschi so burn out isnt really an option in my book. Its just very frustrating that game after game when im looking for the mom, 9 times out of 12 its the oppositions keeper and thats not realistic.

Its not just half chances either - most of the shots are listed as clear chances

Schadenfreude is your other hobby is it?

What's the name for someone who enjoys listening to daft conspiracy theories?

Apparantly Princess Di was murdered on the orders of Prince Phillip, Dick Cheney planned/knew in advance about 9/11 and the makers of FM09 can't stand its customers winning the league.

(tongue firmly in cheek - but I can't find the appropriate smiley).

That is ridiculous! Burnley won the Prem? And has Vela and Benezema? So unrealistic =)

But to your point, the 9.2 match engine needs to be tuned so that there aren't so many clear cut chances. But when they do happen, strikers should be more clinical.

last night i posted here that most unrealistic thing in the game that annoying me it's exactly about small clubs on the top of the table

I like managing small clubs. But if the game isn't going to let me win, even in 10-20 seasons, then there's no point of me playing it. Small clubs can become big (Fulham, Reading, Hull), but IRL they need a few more years to get settled in the Premiership. It just happens faster in FM.

Back to topic: I've had that sometimes and it does feel like the AI is cheating. But tbh I think it's the strikers problem as opposed to the GK.

On my Thurrock memory it annoys me that oppostions goal keeper only seems concide goals once im a goal behind. Or if some how i go one goal up and all over the oppostion he goes into overdrive knowing that his team will ALWAYS score against me in extra time.

All world class players who have been consistent previously but are not any more. I know the OP is talking about mid-season slumps, but things happen like this all the time. And if you are playing for Burnley at the top of the table you are bound to feel the pressure more than if you are playing for Arsenal.

Also, I didn't read anything about tweaking the old tactics a bit. If the OP hasn't done this, I suggest some minor changes. Perhaps IF the STs are on high attacking mentality, drop this to "normal" - it may mean that they don't snatch at their shots so much, reduce the pressure on them, that sort of thing.

I do love it when people think the game is consciously making them lose/draw/throw the title.

I can agree that players can have a slump of form (although it's strange that it happends to both at the same time), however that the goalie gets MOM 9 out of 12 is still not very realistic.. Surely some of the "slump-misses" must go outside the target also, or the player not scoring because his not in position at all.. It might be a coincidence, but then it is a very freaky one..

Originally Posted by backpackant View Post

( moms out of 12 is a bit much is what my general argument was. I tweak my tactics all the time so that cant be it.

I imagine someone will come up with the line "dont tweak your tactics so much"

Always an alternative answer on this forum, mainly just for pure sarcasm

Archived