Inability to get better jobs ruins the game

I've played 3 seasons with Farsley Celtic and managed 2 promotions, and am currently sitting 7th in League 2. I've applied for a few jobs at struggling League 1 clubs and failed to get any of them, saying that I stand no chance of getting the job.

Can someone explain how I stand no chance of getting the job?? icon_confused.gif

I also applied for a few League 2 jobs whilst in Conference, to no avail.

I've never been contacted about a job available either.

It used to be much easier and a much more enjoyable game.

I've played 3 seasons with Farsley Celtic and managed 2 promotions, and am currently sitting 7th in League 2. I've applied for a few jobs at struggling League 1 clubs and failed to get any of them, saying that I stand no chance of getting the job.

Can someone explain how I stand no chance of getting the job?? icon_confused.gif

It used to be much easier and a much more enjoyable game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark_lcfc:

It used to be much easier and a much more enjoyable game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This depends upon your in game reputation.

When you started the game I expected your reputation defaulted to the low automatic.

This is reasonable if you want realism, if you want aid your in game reputation at the start (rather than from your in-game achievements) the start a new game and select a higher reputation icon14.gif

Because you've never managed in League One? Never won anything significant? Still would not even be known to other clubs in your division at the moment?

It is like saying Peter Taylor, who managed two successive promotions with Hull (League Two to the Championship) should be getting offers from Premiership clubs left and right. He never did, and he was also manager of the England U21s FFS!

This is besides the fact that i've seen loads of people post the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you're moaning about; it seems that it is actually too easy to get bigger jobs in the game.

That has also been my experience. I won promotion in South Africa, then won promotion again in Iceland, and my name was in the mix for the Wigan job! I was also offered the job flat out for a Chinese top flight team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark_lcfc:

So the only chance I have of getting a new job is by taking Farsley Celtic to the Premiership.

The game is hard enough at it is now icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the best way to do it is to have good cup runs and over achieve! The offers will come I think you just need a little patience

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

P.S.: Peter Taylor manages Stevenage now

That's where two successive promotions gets you icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He managed Leicester in the top flight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...before the sucessive promotions, which is the parallel i'm making.

Even then...managing Leicester hasn't earned him a Premier League job at present either!

Or even just keep them in League 2.

Your reputation grows according to the reputations of the teams you've beaten, if what I've read is correct. So a promotion season in Blue Square North did very little for you, and even after promotion from National you're still very lowly regarded. You need to spend more time beating League-quality clubs - for example, by next season, if you're still 7th in League 2, your reputation should be higher than it is now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

^ do friendlies against bigger clubs have any impact? So that you can gain some reputation by, say, going into Old Trafford in the preseason and beating United 5-0? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not certain; my post was a digest of other posts, and I didn't do the research myself. It should be a very testable premise, though.

It used to be much easier and a much more enjoyable game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you still in season 3 or have you started season 4?

Anyway, after 3 seasons and 2 promotions, a manager who is now in league football should have established enoguh of a reputation, in my opinion, to be at least considered for struggling League 1 sides, he most certainly should not be laughed at by these clubs.

However, is the point of starting in the Blue Square leagues, not so that you can take a non league club and try and take them all the way to the top? Thats why I have a Kettering save game. If I want to manage a bigger club, then I'll just start there.

I started my current saved game unemployed, getting my first job with Finn Harps and got them promoted (as well as winning a cup). I then applied for and got a job with Real Salt Lake in the MLS, where I am now.

In my last saved game in FM07, I started with Real Colima in Mexico's First Division A. After getting them promoted and winning the First Division, I moved to Torpedo Moscow. From there, I went to FC Twente, then to Hertha Berlin, and finally to Inter Milan. But the key is winning trophies.

Lower reputation makes it too hard, higher too easy - selecting to be a former pro footballer makes you a Paul Ince / Bryan Robson character rather than the usual run of the mill player who spent 10 years scattered around the lower divisions.

Think this is why the ability to edit your own background in greater detail might be a good idea.

And it's ludicrous to say that he shouldn't be getting job offers after two promotions. Lee Sinnott and Mark Stimson both went straight from Conference sides to League One teams this season alone.

Peter Taylor worked his way up to, from Dover to Gillingam to Leicester.

After two successful seasons at Bath City I was offered the job at Portsmouth who were in the Championship. Likewise I was continually linked to other Championship clubs as well as Derby in the EPL. So if you play positive tactics and get good results in the cup runs then you will get the jobs offered.

Unless you have played against some higher division teams in the cups then no-one will know who you are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Midge:

After two successful seasons at Bath City I was offered the job at Portsmouth who were in the Championship. Likewise I was continually linked to other Championship clubs as well as Derby in the EPL. So if you play positive tactics and get good results in the cup runs then you will get the jobs offered.

Unless you have played against some higher division teams in the cups then no-one will know who you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What reputation did you start with?

You need a reputation of "National" to jump up to a higher-leagued team, it seems. I think you need to win two competitions to achieve this if you begin as an unproven manager.

I didn't start getting offers from the EPL until I achieved "Continental" status, by which time I had Bury close to winning the Coca-Cola Championship anyway.

Something else which should have an effect on higher clubs taking a chance on you: how long you have left on your contract and your salary.

If both of these are relatively high, the clubs you're applying for might decide the risk of hiring you isn't worth the cost of paying the rest of your salary to your previous club.

I'm not sure how much of an effect this might have, but it's something else to consider.

I started as unemployed with low reputation. In December i took charge of Yeovil in League 1. They where struggling and i managed to get them second and up to the Championship. All summer long there were news about rumors linking me to the managerial position of Manchester Utd, Milan, Bayern and Leverkusen. I applied in all of them and finally took charge of Leverkusen (the others said i stood no chance). So, it's about how well you're doing and with which team i suppose!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">gets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my reputation surged to Worldwide after 4 clubs in 5 seasons(all in England)and Roma offered me a job! They gave me a 65 million transfer budget, but i said pi** off since they were 5th in the Serie A and i was 1st in the Premier League(I'm Tottenham)

P.S.: Peter Taylor manages Stevenage now

That's where two successive promotions gets you icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To go back to this, I believe when Taylor left Palace he agreed he wouldn't manage another league club this season, so he went ot a non-league club.

Not sure why I'm defending the man.

Many managers IRL struggle for 1 or 2 decades with lower league clubs, before the top league clubs recognize their talents.

When a former international quits his football career he often can start right a way in a top league team. Those guys have no management experience at all. Good football players do not make good managers all the time.

But teams seem to be more interested in signing 'names' instead of proven quality.

Get over it, that's how our society is working.

And trust me in FM you get your top club much easier as in real life. This is good, because FM is still a game and not real life.

As has been said, it is the way things are generally.

Years ago, risks were taken on managers - it's how Fergie ended up at Aberdeen, and look what happened there (not to mention since, after success got him the Utd job). He'd been seen as having done a decent job at a lower league club, and was given his chance. Likewise Martin O'Neill.

It's not done now. Alan Shearer was being mentioned as the next Newcastle manager by people who, tbh, should have been looking at lower Prem, Championship, and even League One sides for someone to give a chance to.

That old thing: you can't get a particular job because you don't have the experience at that level, despite qualifications, but how are you supposed to get that experience if no one takes a chance on you?

That said, in football the Prem teams won't punt purely because of the cost of failure (in monetary terms). That doesn't stop them hiring complete pillocks, of course, but it does make it a little harder for those climbing the ladder.

Look at Martin Allen when he was at Brentford. Success (relatively speaking) there, followed by a good season with MK Dons, and all he could get was the poisoned chalice at Leicester. In another time, maybe he'd have been given a shot with a more stable club.

The thing to bear in mind is Stimson, etc, are the exceptions these days...and even so, you have to look at how long they served the lower leagues/conference for and how they did there. I'm pretty sure it'd have been for more than 3 seasons (total).

BTW, I'm in my third season with Burghausen. Promoted to Second Division in first season (thanks to German league restructuring), 10th in my second (predicted 14th), and I'm currently 12th after 11 games (predicted 13th). My board love me because I am well within the wage budget and cash is finally rolling into the club (turned a near £1 million deficit in first at end of first season into £1.5 million credit). The team has a National reputation.

Despite all this, and with a win percentage of nearly 50%, I am rated as an 'Unknown manager', occasionally wandering into 'Talented'. But I'm in my 3rd season; getting offered the Bayern Munich job would be too unrealistic. 1860 Munich or Borussia Moenchengladbach, maybe...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Midge:

Unless you have played against some higher division teams in the cups then no-one will know who you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What reputation did you start with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started on semi-professional

Archived