Awful run with relegation battlers

I'm Coventry in first season- tipped to just avoid drop in Championship.

Seasons starts great and i start to look towards playoffs. Signings (loan and permanent) going well.

January hits- sold 3 key players (Elliot Ward, Jay Tabb, Guillhaume Beuezulin) as their contracts were ending at end of season and they didn't want to renew so i thought id cash in. Injury crisis- 8 injuries- squad cant cope.

coventry-badbadrun.jpg

12 games without a win (5 losses, 8 draws)

including a 3-1 Home loss to bottom of the league burnley. Away to 23rd place barnsley next- morale very low.

Only 4 games left in season, and although im luckily safe from the drop, this is the worst run ive ever had.

Any ideas to help me?- i play slow tempo with short passing in an attacking style. The normal 4-4-2 with kevin kyle (top goalscorer) as target man to head.

Thanks (in advance)

The only tip that I can suggest is to be patient.

Be very patient with the team not blending understand the pressures the team/players are under as well. I do be believe that you may need to control half time and full time team talks. Praise them team and or players in the media comments and in the press, but don't over praise; you can call a meeting with a player to discuss the current poor form of the team. If you are able renew contracts. Its a bad run if they are one of the teams tipped from relegation, then don't get too harsh.

Other than that you may find that, nearing the end of the season, it may only be the last game of the season. Where a win for your team and a loss for the competing team for relagation; a negative not nasty negative comment to the media about the competing team about them dropping a league may help. It sure helped me when managing the Berwick team who are part timers in the 2nd Division in Scotland.

You have many options at your disposal. I wouldn't start tweaking the formation every 5 minutes as it may just be a simple man management pep talks to keep you out of relegation.

Any ideas to help me?- i play slow tempo with short passing in an attacking style. The normal 4-4-2 with kevin kyle (top goalscorer) as target man to head.

Thanks (in advance)

Try chnaging your tactics some. Go for more defensive, direct counter attacking play. Particularly when morale is poor, it can be hard to play "good" football,so don't be afraid to go all Bolton while you turn thing around. Grinding out a couple of good draws or close victories can be just what you need. I'm not saying you need a whoeseale change, maybe 3-4 notches on passing and mentality.

I'd take your run in a moment!! I'm QPR, second season, first in Prem. Been reasonable all season, beaten United at Old Trafford, taken 2 points off Chelsea, 12 games to go, I won 4 in a row seemingly securing my status at the same time. Then lose 1-2 against Stoke and have lost the next 6, including games against teams in bottom 3. I'm now 4th bottom on goal difference with two games to go....if I go down I will be devastated, worst run of form I've ever had on any game in 10 years!!

theturnaround.jpg

My new faster tempo and direct approach started off away to relegated barnsley. Went in HT 3-1 down. Changed formation to a 4-1-2-2-1 (with DM, 2 CM and 2 AML/R) and ended up 3-3. Still no win but at least the team showed spirit.

Home to Preston- stuck with 4-4-2 and was 2-0 up after 27 mins. Defended deep and held on very well, restricting their chances and giving me my first win for 14 games!

Away to 2nd placed Wolves- thought i'd try out the defensive tactics. Couldnt keep out their pacy strikers and lost 3-1.

Final game of season at home to runaway Champions Reading (who had an incredible 106pts)- went for a strategic 4-4-1-1 with supporting AM. Reading attacked all game but my Gk was having a great game. Then, moment of madness from Reading player for a crazy handball and Eastwood converts pen. 2nd half- shane long got the equaliser finally breaking the goalie's clean sheet but in 79th min, kyle scores simple header after a beautiful move (yet only been on for 2 mins). Won 2-1 despite 3 shots (2 on target) compared to their 22 (11 on target)- gritty defence is a good idea!

Thanks for all your help- finished 14th in league, clear of relegation and new hope for future. However, 6 loanees will not be with me and couple of key players (including kyle) looking to leave on bosman- it will be a tough next season with raised expectations!

Archived