Suggestion: Maps

Just a silly thing I thought up last night that might be a nice touch for FM10.

In the match preview screen I think it would be cool to have a little box in the corner "google map" style showing the town you're playing against and their distance travelled to your ground, or vice versa.

Dunno why I thought of this.... I suppose I just like maps so having one in-game would be neat for me.

Yeah I like it ...preferred the below idea though :)

chris23

Amateur

Default fm and driving game together?

i just thought of a awesome game how bout football manager type game with a driving game mixed in.say you took over man utd and u had an away game at tottenham (dam u tottenham)u had to drive to the game in time just a thought what uyou think guys

Wow I already do this on Google Maps, I think I might have problems, but the point is that is would be a nice little feature. obviously I don't know exact distances for travelling, I just set them into different categories: very close, close, medium distance, a bit far, far, and blo*dy far.

I remember this being mentioned last year, and possibly the year before (I dont have THAT good a memory :p), and I'll say now what I said then.

It would be an awesome cosmetic feature to have! :D

If I remember rightly, somebody made a mock up of what the screen would look like with a map on it, tho that may have been a redsign of the player screen, again, my memory is pretty poor.

chris23

Amateur

i just thought of a awesome game how bout football manager type game with a driving game mixed in.say you took over man utd and u had an away game at tottenham (dam u tottenham)u had to drive to the game in time just a thought what uyou think guys

Sounds like a quality idea for sure, perhaps SI should see if EA's Need for Speed team want to help out :p.

Top idea, I always check out new teams I take over on google maps and sometimes look for regens COB too, this allows me to see if they are local boys... Would it be possible to hyperlink it like, click on the place COB, game venue etc and there you go. Not sure how much work that is though.

Heh, I check out the town using Google Earth, and I also like to check out pictures of the stadium my team gets to play at, just to get my imagination going.

It would be also neat to have the picture of the stadium the game is held in, but I understand that could be a difficult thing to do regarding picture copyrights and such.

Heh, I check out the town using Google Earth, and I also like to check out pictures of the stadium my team gets to play at, just to get my imagination going.

It would be also neat to have the picture of the stadium the game is held in, but I understand that could be a difficult thing to do regarding picture copyrights and such.

You can change the background picture in the game for that. For example when you play at Old Trafford a picture of Old Trafford is shown and so on for all other stadia.

You can change the background picture in the game for that. For example when you play at Old Trafford a picture of Old Trafford is shown and so on for all other stadia.

I know - I have that set up as well.

I meant a picture within the match preview page along with a picture of the city, instead of having it in the background.

I know - I have that set up as well.

I meant a picture within the match preview page along with a picture of the city, instead of having it in the background.

Yeah, that would be better but I was just letting you know that it is currently possible to put it in the background. :)

i woul;d have to be to the gernal area i think as with the new stadium feature in FM it would be daft to put a map to the exact stadium location, due to if a new ground is built the chances are the map would still show the old ground position

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a nice idea to include a useless fact on the town your opponent is from, e.g. for West Brom it might say something like "The Hawthorns is the highest stadium in England above sea level". <---- True by the way!

good idea. :) you could also have, when you play a team from manchester a little message comes up: 'you are now entering manchester. no left turn, no right turn, no entry, no exit. get out of the car and put your hands on your head! do it!.'

curtesy(sp?) of frankie boyle. :cool:

Just a silly thing I thought up last night that might be a nice touch for FM10.

In the match preview screen I think it would be cool to have a little box in the corner "google map" style showing the town you're playing against and their distance travelled to your ground, or vice versa.

Dunno why I thought of this.... I suppose I just like maps so having one in-game would be neat for me.

Totally agree, good idea. And pictures of the city on matchday, if stadium pictures are too copywrite covered.

• SI Staff
Might be a nice idea to include a useless fact on the town your opponent is from, e.g. for West Brom it might say something like "The Hawthorns is the highest stadium in England above sea level". <---- True by the way!

I doubt that would be possible as I don't think we store stadium altitude in the database. It may be there for city information though.

The first part of this would be creating a map widget. It's a big job though. Not only would it require a lot of coding work but there is a lot of artwork required for the actual maps. Think of how many countries are in the game for a start. Think as well about how you would show Dundee and Dundee Utd on the same map of Scotland with their stadiums being right next to each other.

If there was ever a map widget created then we could use it to display almost anything with a location.

I doubt that would be possible as I don't think we store stadium altitude in the database. It may be there for city information though.

The first part of this would be creating a map widget. It's a big job though. Not only would it require a lot of coding work but there is a lot of artwork required for the actual maps. Think of how many countries are in the game for a start. Think as well about how you would show Dundee and Dundee Utd on the same map of Scotland with their stadiums being right next to each other.

If there was ever a map widget created then we could use it to display almost anything with a location.

I've been thinking a little bit more about this.

Re: the useless fact.... you wouldn't need the game to generate the fact based on the data that already exists in the game, perhaps instead your researchers could just include 3 facts with their data. You could then simply put this text into the game and whenever you get to match summary it randomly picks one of the 3 to display. Would that work?

As for the maps, I think something more basic would work so I'll try explaining as best I can. Imagine a birds-eye view of the stadium but not as a photo, instead a map-view a la google maps. But next to it is another box showing a map of the UK with a small box over the area that your team has travelled to. Within the match summary you could have distance from home in miles, year the club was founded etc.

I think the map idea is brilliant, i also think it could add another edge to scouting. For example you could set up youth academies across the world. I know it will take a lot of coding but it would really be worth it. Even if it was really simple it could be a great addition to the game. By simple i mean a world map with a small dot for where one of your youth academies is. As your club grows in stature you could be able to expand further across the world.

I think something simular to this was done in a Total Club Manager quite a few years back but im not 100% certain.

What does everyone think about it?

• SI Staff
I've been thinking a little bit more about this.

Re: the useless fact.... you wouldn't need the game to generate the fact based on the data that already exists in the game, perhaps instead your researchers could just include 3 facts with their data. You could then simply put this text into the game and whenever you get to match summary it randomly picks one of the 3 to display. Would that work?

As for the maps, I think something more basic would work so I'll try explaining as best I can. Imagine a birds-eye view of the stadium but not as a photo, instead a map-view a la google maps. But next to it is another box showing a map of the UK with a small box over the area that your team has travelled to. Within the match summary you could have distance from home in miles, year the club was founded etc.

It's probably best to keep all that sort of stuff data driven then you can use information that has changed since the start of the game.

chris23

Amateur

I remember this thread, what a joke that was. funny though :)

I can imagine an American managing Vauxhall Motors for instance appreciating a map showing where they are.

... You don't need to travel across the ocean... Here is an Italian boy managing Vauxhall Motors, and I can assure you I didn't know Ellesmore Port :D

I think maps would be a fantastic feature, not only "cosmetic" but educational, too... And think about "touristic" effects, the next time I' ll visit England I'LL HAVE to go and see Rivacre Park :D

• 1 year later...

I think it would be nice to have World Atlas in scouting part, and when you select region or a country to scout, the game could highlight the region or the country on Atlas. I know it is a detail, but I think it would help you to see which countries you are scouting when you choose a region.

Also when you are sending a scout to world or a region and he's scouting a country you havent loaded players from why can i ask him so skip the country?Or when 2 scouts are scouting central Europe and both are scouting Germany why cant i say to one to skip Germany?

+1 from me.

I do like the idea, as sometimes I am unfimiliar with regions, with an atlas per se, this will be a great help. Knowing what area is actually within the central region and which area is in another region. My geograophy is just getting worse.

Archived