+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestion: Maps

Hybrid View

Banned
    Originally posted by ajw10: I'd be done with AFC if Coq went on loan!

Default Suggestion: Maps

Just a silly thing I thought up last night that might be a nice touch for FM10.
    In the match preview screen I think it would be cool to have a little box in the corner "google map" style showing the town you're playing against and their distance travelled to your ground, or vice versa.
    Dunno why I thought of this.... I suppose I just like maps so having one in-game would be neat for me.

Part-Timer

Default Re: Idea for next FM

Would be a good cosmetic feature

Amateur

Would be nice visually yes and could be helpful for deciding whether training will be 'rest' for next day or two depending on travelling times

Reserves

Been mentioned a few times and I think it is one of those things that could help brighten up the game a little bit.

Sports Interactive Glenn Wakeford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neji View Post
    Been mentioned a few times and I think it is one of those things that could help brighten up the game a little bit.
    I agree. Some geographic and cultural information would not go amiss, particularly for the nations that you are not familiar with. It could look sexy too.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Neji View Post
    My thoughts exactly

Amateur

Yeah I like it ...preferred the below idea though

chris23
    Amateur

Default fm and driving game together?
    i just thought of a awesome game how bout football manager type game with a driving game mixed in.say you took over man utd and u had an away game at tottenham (dam u tottenham)u had to drive to the game in time just a thought what uyou think guys

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by JGN_1982 View Post

chris23
    Amateur

i just thought of a awesome game how bout football manager type game with a driving game mixed in.say you took over man utd and u had an away game at tottenham (dam u tottenham)u had to drive to the game in time just a thought what uyou think guys

Sounds like a quality idea for sure, perhaps SI should see if EA's Need for Speed team want to help out .

Part-timer

Quote Originally Posted by JGN_1982 View Post

chris23
    Amateur

I remember this thread, what a joke that was. funny though

First Team Squad Member
    Micado is the oracle though...he'll see us right. Originally Posted by Why?

Default Re: Suggestion: Maps

Have mentioned this in other thread a while ago, somthing like this maybe:
    Footiemap.com

Part-Timer

I remember this being mentioned last year, and possibly the year before (I dont have THAT good a memory ), and I'll say now what I said then.

It would be an awesome cosmetic feature to have!

If I remember rightly, somebody made a mock up of what the screen would look like with a map on it, tho that may have been a redsign of the player screen, again, my memory is pretty poor.

Third Team

Wow I already do this on Google Maps, I think I might have problems, but the point is that is would be a nice little feature. obviously I don't know exact distances for travelling, I just set them into different categories: very close, close, medium distance, a bit far, far, and blo*dy far.

Part-Timer

Another for this idea. I think, dare i say, this is already a feature in FIFA manger or maybe CM? Not sure but i think i've seen it before and thought it worked really well.

Third Team

Another for this idea.

Reserves

I like it, I would often like to know where several lower league teams are located.

Amateur

I believe this already in the EA FIFA Manager game?

Would be a good addition though and help to make it feel a little less like you are playing in a vacuum.

Amateur

Top idea, I always check out new teams I take over on google maps and sometimes look for regens COB too, this allows me to see if they are local boys... Would it be possible to hyperlink it like, click on the place COB, game venue etc and there you go. Not sure how much work that is though.

Amateur

Heh, I check out the town using Google Earth, and I also like to check out pictures of the stadium my team gets to play at, just to get my imagination going.

It would be also neat to have the picture of the stadium the game is held in, but I understand that could be a difficult thing to do regarding picture copyrights and such.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
    Heh, I check out the town using Google Earth, and I also like to check out pictures of the stadium my team gets to play at, just to get my imagination going.

It would be also neat to have the picture of the stadium the game is held in, but I understand that could be a difficult thing to do regarding picture copyrights and such.
    You can change the background picture in the game for that. For example when you play at Old Trafford a picture of Old Trafford is shown and so on for all other stadia.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by jod123 View Post
    You can change the background picture in the game for that. For example when you play at Old Trafford a picture of Old Trafford is shown and so on for all other stadia.
    I know - I have that set up as well.

I meant a picture within the match preview page along with a picture of the city, instead of having it in the background.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
    I know - I have that set up as well.

I meant a picture within the match preview page along with a picture of the city, instead of having it in the background.
    Yeah, that would be better but I was just letting you know that it is currently possible to put it in the background.

Reserves

I've been lobbying for ages. It would be very educational too. My geography of england came primarily from learning the locations of all the league clubs; I can imagine an American managing Vauxhall Motors for instance appreciating a map showing where they are.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by phnompenhandy View Post
    I can imagine an American managing Vauxhall Motors for instance appreciating a map showing where they are.
    ... You don't need to travel across the ocean... Here is an Italian boy managing Vauxhall Motors, and I can assure you I didn't know Ellesmore Port
    I think maps would be a fantastic feature, not only "cosmetic" but educational, too... And think about "touristic" effects, the next time I' ll visit England I'LL HAVE to go and see Rivacre Park

International Squad

Quote Originally Posted by red rainbow View Post
    And think about "touristic" effects, the next time I' ll visit England I'LL HAVE to go and see Rivacre Park
    The only thing it has in common with the San Siro is there is a football pitch there.

Youth Team

i woul;d have to be to the gernal area i think as with the new stadium feature in FM it would be daft to put a map to the exact stadium location, due to if a new ground is built the chances are the map would still show the old ground position

Amateur

Think this is a great idea for saddos like me. When i take over a new club i always have a look on google earth and wikpedia to familiarise myself if the club is of unknown quantity

Banned

Might be a nice idea to include a useless fact on the town your opponent is from, e.g. for West Brom it might say something like "The Hawthorns is the highest stadium in England above sea level". <---- True by the way!

Sports Interactive

PSN: TerScotland79

Quote Originally Posted by Sy13 View Post
    Might be a nice idea to include a useless fact on the town your opponent is from, e.g. for West Brom it might say something like "The Hawthorns is the highest stadium in England above sea level". <---- True by the way!
    I doubt that would be possible as I don't think we store stadium altitude in the database. It may be there for city information though.

The first part of this would be creating a map widget. It's a big job though. Not only would it require a lot of coding work but there is a lot of artwork required for the actual maps. Think of how many countries are in the game for a start. Think as well about how you would show Dundee and Dundee Utd on the same map of Scotland with their stadiums being right next to each other.

If there was ever a map widget created then we could use it to display almost anything with a location.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ter View Post
    I doubt that would be possible as I don't think we store stadium altitude in the database. It may be there for city information though.

The first part of this would be creating a map widget. It's a big job though. Not only would it require a lot of coding work but there is a lot of artwork required for the actual maps. Think of how many countries are in the game for a start. Think as well about how you would show Dundee and Dundee Utd on the same map of Scotland with their stadiums being right next to each other.

If there was ever a map widget created then we could use it to display almost anything with a location.
    I've been thinking a little bit more about this.
    Re: the useless fact.... you wouldn't need the game to generate the fact based on the data that already exists in the game, perhaps instead your researchers could just include 3 facts with their data. You could then simply put this text into the game and whenever you get to match summary it randomly picks one of the 3 to display. Would that work?

As for the maps, I think something more basic would work so I'll try explaining as best I can. Imagine a birds-eye view of the stadium but not as a photo, instead a map-view a la google maps. But next to it is another box showing a map of the UK with a small box over the area that your team has travelled to. Within the match summary you could have distance from home in miles, year the club was founded etc.

Sports Interactive

I've been thinking a little bit more about this.
    Re: the useless fact.... you wouldn't need the game to generate the fact based on the data that already exists in the game, perhaps instead your researchers could just include 3 facts with their data. You could then simply put this text into the game and whenever you get to match summary it randomly picks one of the 3 to display. Would that work?

As for the maps, I think something more basic would work so I'll try explaining as best I can. Imagine a birds-eye view of the stadium but not as a photo, instead a map-view a la google maps. But next to it is another box showing a map of the UK with a small box over the area that your team has travelled to. Within the match summary you could have distance from home in miles, year the club was founded etc.
    It's probably best to keep all that sort of stuff data driven then you can use information that has changed since the start of the game.

Amateur

Question Re: Suggestion: Maps

I think the map idea is brilliant, i also think it could add another edge to scouting. For example you could set up youth academies across the world. I know it will take a lot of coding but it would really be worth it. Even if it was really simple it could be a great addition to the game. By simple i mean a world map with a small dot for where one of your youth academies is. As your club grows in stature you could be able to expand further across the world.
    I think something simular to this was done in a Total Club Manager quite a few years back but im not 100% certain.
    What does everyone think about it?

Amateur

Pretty cool idea this, and yeah a think it is in Fifa Manager.

Part-timer

good idea. you could also have, when you play a team from manchester a little message comes up: 'you are now entering manchester. no left turn, no right turn, no entry, no exit. get out of the car and put your hands on your head! do it!.'

curtesy(sp?) of frankie boyle.

Amateur

i wrote a post on this as well, great idea, i got some positive feedback as well, with maps also showing other areas of the game such as knowledge and where your feeder clubs are

Think this would be a good addition with a large area for use, not just where clubs are but could also display where you are scouting.

Amateur

im not usually one for cosmetic features but i think this map thing, done well, would personalise the match day experience nicely

Third Team

Would like this one.

Semi Pro
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?

Thumbs up Re: Suggestion: Maps

Just a silly thing I thought up last night that might be a nice touch for FM10.
    In the match preview screen I think it would be cool to have a little box in the corner "google map" style showing the town you're playing against and their distance travelled to your ground, or vice versa.
    Dunno why I thought of this.... I suppose I just like maps so having one in-game would be neat for me.
    Totally agree, good idea. And pictures of the city on matchday, if stadium pictures are too copywrite covered.

Amateur

at least someone from SI is looking at this post, im sure the SI and Sega people could come up with something, it can just be a photo, or even ask google if you could integrate google earth into the game

Semi Pro
    I enjoy farting when I'm in a lift, which is wrong on so many levels

I'd love the maps, it's the sort of thing you see on TV, and that's what SI are going for with the whole match day experience thing.
    Good idea

Sports Interactive

For continental matches I want an Indiana Jones style red line going from one place to another

Sports Interactive Glenn Wakeford's Avatar

For continental matches I want an Indiana Jones style red line going from one place to another
    That would be awesome.

If you had a Bergkamp in your team and he went by boat you could see how much longer his journey takes him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skorp View Post
    That would be awesome.

If you had a Bergkamp in your team and he went by boat you could see how much longer his journey takes him
    haha, this is quality!

Amateur

if you watch the la liga program on sky sports they do a good map thing before the each game

Amateur

Default Scouting Atlas

I think it would be nice to have World Atlas in scouting part, and when you select region or a country to scout, the game could highlight the region or the country on Atlas. I know it is a detail, but I think it would help you to see which countries you are scouting when you choose a region.

Amateur

Default Re: Scouting Atlas

-------good idea---------

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by AfroDude1994 View Post
    -------good idea---------
    Thank you I hope the idea finds its way to SI. :-))

First Team Squad Member

Yes, I like this thought.

Amateur

Also when you are sending a scout to world or a region and he's scouting a country you havent loaded players from why can i ask him so skip the country?Or when 2 scouts are scouting central Europe and both are scouting Germany why cant i say to one to skip Germany?

Amateur

I am 100% sure it is added with one of the skins. I can't really recall which one.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by bcm View Post
    I am 100% sure it is added with one of the skins. I can't really recall which one.
    I also saw it in one of the skins I used before. Maybe the idea pops up my mind after seeing it on the skin, but it was a passive one. Whne you go to scouting screen there was a picture of a world map and that's it. I want to have an active one as Montanaro mentioned.

Banned

I think this is a good idea, one that has already been implemented on CM 2010, but I think it would work well with FM.

Amateur

+1 from me.

I do like the idea, as sometimes I am unfimiliar with regions, with an atlas per se, this will be a great help. Knowing what area is actually within the central region and which area is in another region. My geograophy is just getting worse.

Amateur

A very good idea. Can't really add anything else!

Reserves

Yeah this is a good idea and could be implemented in future additions as it shouln`t be to hard to make.

Amateur

I mentioned something like this on FM base a while back. I want to see a map/atlas!

Basically the Map would cover all these points.

1. Allow you to view the world
    2. Let you see information about cities around the world
    3. Let you see where clubs are located
    4. Shows where competitions are being held
    5. Shows where shortlist players live.
    6. Shows where scouted players live.
    7. Shows where your scout currently is
    8. Allows you to set up and follow your clubs youth academy in a different part of the world.
    9. Let's you see where competitions and clubs players come from.

I think this would add a lot to the realism of the game (and I love geography, I'd spend more time on map than anything else). However, having a option for having the map or not would be crucial, because I could see the map requiring much better PC performance to handle all the data.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Montanaro View Post
    I mentioned something like this on FM base a while back. I want to see a map/atlas!

8. Allows you to set up and follow your clubs youth academy in a different part of the world.

I think this would add a lot to the realism of the game (and I love geography, I'd spend more time on map than anything else). However, having a option for having the map or not would be crucial, because I could see the map requiring much better PC performance to handle all the data.

Wow you put everthing I imagine and couldn't imagine into words. I really would like to see the stuff you wrote. Great!!!

Amateur

Thumbs up Re: Scouting Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
    Wow you put everthing I imagine and couldn't imagine into words. I really would like to see the stuff you wrote. Great!!!

I truely love the ideas in this thread. This would surely make the game a richer experience.
    Hope SI reads this :-)

Amateur

I think this would be brilliant

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
    I think it would be nice to have World Atlas in scouting part, and when you select region or a country to scout, the game could highlight the region or the country on Atlas. I know it is a detail, but I think it would help you to see which countries you are scouting when you choose a region.

Genius ideas

On a related note, it'd be great if the database kept track of the city/town where people are based. This has an impact in real life, usually in the lower leagues where people try and find a club closeish to where they live, rather than the current in-game situation where people will happily move all over the country. (Although this does happen higher up too: see Jim Gannon's wife deciding this week to whether to move to Peterborough from Stockport.)

Also, rather than simply remaining based in the country where they last played, it'd be nice to see players move around and try and find a new club elsewhere (their agent offering them around for a trial, for example). Most clubs have had random foreigners turn up for friendlies, only to never to be seen again!

Amateur

Great idea. Montanaro, perhaps no.8 in your list could be only done in places where you have a feeder club?

Edit: Or perhaps you could make a feeder club called like Tottenham CT Acadamy for Cape Town, I don't know how Ajax do it, but like that (they have Ajax CT, a feeder club in Cape Town that i'm guessing they created).

Youth Team

the only issue i have with that idea is it could leave a map overloaded with information (unless theres some kind of filters associated with it)

for now though id accept a map which has a colour coded countried depending on scouting %

Amateur

FM basically runs on nothing but filters, so I would imagine SI putting filters on the map.

Sometimes I forget exactly where a country is, and a map would help, especially when determining if I think it is to far for a friendly. I wouldn't mind seeing which cities around the world produce talent valued over $1 million, then sending my scout there to build ties (which could bring players from there to my youth academy)

Amateur

bump in hopes SI will take a closer look at this.

Amateur

I really like this. Also, the map could be shaded in accordance with your club's knowledge of that area. For example, if you know everything about Spain, then Spain appears in red, if you know a fair bit about Portugal, that could be in orange, etc.

Amateur

+1, brilliant idea, I think its simple enough to be programmed in, yet it will be so much easier with scouting, and I think it'll be good to have a filter available on the map like with your squad etc to show if you only want countries shown, scout locations, scouted/in progress scouting countries etc. I often find myself looking up the countries on googlemaps just so I have a general idea where in the world it is (whether or not thats because I have poor Geography skills?)

Amateur

I'm sure this was on Total Club Manager 2003

Part-Timer
    AEK, 9 leagues, 11 Cups, 4 Ch Leagues, 3 European Super Cups, 2 Club Wold Championships

This is in Championship manager10

Amateur

Brilliant idea - hope this happens.

Amateur

Very good idea!

Third Team

CM10 anyone?

big ole bump also, nice to see somebody using the search feature before creating their own thread
    Last edited by elgreenio; 22-03-2010 at 13:07.

Amateur

In terms of it, most of the geographical data is in the game already. When you play those long Europe legs, sometimes it does bring up the 'round trip distance' in a media preview of the match.

It would just be about compiling this data into a widget, I guess.

Amateur

something like this for the European adventure...?

http://www.pragueholiday.cz/flight-t...europe-map.gif

Reserves

Early on I was fascinated in seeing where I travelled in my career, in the days where you started with little rep, and I had little hope of rising up ending up going between obscure clubs all over the place. Now I can look up the locations of places in a second but it would still be interesting seeing a map of places I've been. Currently I've been from Ipswich to Stavanger to Zwolle to Kharkiv to Brugge with a few more almost anywhere in europe no doubt ahead which would make for an excellent image.

Amateur

I have to add my +1 to this. As a Yank and a bit of an anglophile, the culture, the history, the personality of the places where the game is played adds significantly to my enjoyment of FM. I actually purchase from AmazonUK every year the Supporter's Guide/Yearbooks for League and Blue Square and have them handy when I'm playing. It's one thing to have your Newport County lads play Dorchester Town FC (there are a lot of "Huh, who?" moments for a Yank playing FM) but it adds immensely when you have a sense of place. Sure, no maps in the guides, but they've a pic of the stand, an address you can punch into Google Earth for the overhead view, some details on capacity and prices, a tiny bit of history, enough to give a real sense of place.

If there was a way to incorporate this - or for those who play online, have a widget that ties into Google Earth and opens a window to give you a view to where you're traveling... Anyway, I think there are any number of iterations of this idea that would really add to the experience.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Wakeford View Post
    I agree. Some geographic and cultural information would not go amiss, particularly for the nations that you are not familiar with. It could look sexy too.
    Indeed. But this is being asked for quite sometime. At least since FM08. Can't say if it is asked before. This is one those graphical updates I have been asking.

Ter to be honest everything needs a lot of work that requires to be done. As you eprsonally know well every feature in FM is a big job, because as you stated any thiny things is fix something else is will change dramatically due to conflicts in the programming (but you know that!).

Also you don't need much artwork to be done quite honestly. You need only map of the world or at least set of different region of globe (Europe, North America, South America and so on). Place somewhere in the widow a place with picture of the city or stadium where the match is being played and another zone with some quick intel, Like city, Country, Number of inhabitants or something of the likes.

You have the following image as an example of world map, that is pretty basic just had pict box and info box and your done.

The image of course is one feature of iphoto from Apple.

Now what you need is to add in the editor somewhere were we can place the club (specially with league editor, specially when setting up north, south divisions in tha same tier, instead of going to stadium of each club and to see where the club is located.

Here are other examples from (i think) from Fifa Manager 08 and user StanPetrov have suggested almost two years ago.

And

I think this should be implemented on the next FM game (specially for European competitions).
    Last edited by grade; 22-03-2010 at 18:33.

Reserves
    'They say the Germans don't lose on penalties' ... 'They do now'

Quality idea imo from me

International Squad

I like the idea of maps, as long as the one above isn't used. In that one, Manchester has moved a long way North and Milan has moved a long way South. The red dots are closer to Carlisle v Roma.

Absolutely great idea, remember it from my days of Fifa Manager.

In a world where education is of more importance than ever, why not include some cultural background and visual effects?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Super Paul Sturrock View Post
    Absolutely great idea, remember it from my days of Fifa Manager.

In a world where education is of more importance than ever, why not include some cultural background and visual effects?

Ah, great idea! So when you play Liverpool, you'd hear the clanging sound of someone stealing hubcaps?

When you play Scumderland you could see a picture of the moaning hordes gazing at a "Dentist" sign in abject wonder and horror?

Or if you play my lads, you get a pic of Biffa Bacon and the sound of a bloke speaking unintelligibly, though it sounds like speaking German with a fork stuck through your tongue

The possiblities are endless

Sports Interactive

Also you don't need much artwork to be done quite honestly. You need only map of the world or at least set of different region of globe (Europe, North America, South America and so on). Place somewhere in the widow a place with picture of the city or stadium where the match is being played and another zone with some quick intel, Like city, Country, Number of inhabitants or something of the likes.
    If it was restricted to regions then you are right, not a lot of artwork would be required. I'm kind of opposed to using static images though as it would be better if maps were scalable.

Amateur

This is a brilliant idea. I'd love to know where my opposition are, and where I'm scouting etc. Also I like the previously mentioned idea of placing youth academies. You could get messages saying 'Randominho has come from your academy in Sao Paulo.'

Amateur

Are maps a part of Football Manager 2011? If not, whyyyyyyyy????

Amateur

shameless bump for an excellent idea +1

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fmsteve View Post
    shameless bump for an excellent idea +1
    There already a thread going on.

+ Reply to Thread