strikers with only the goalie to beat...

This has now irritated me enough to complain -- strikers only score on the breakaways something like 10% of the time. They run with the ball and then blast it at the goal as soon as they get into the penalty area only for the goalie to save the shot and the rebound to be gobbled up by the trailing defenders.

This with a striker with 18 finishing, 16 dribbling, "likes to round the keeper" as his preferred move and yet he *still* blasts away from the top of the penalty area. If the guy where just to make one move, he'd score easily. Considering that my tactics lead to a lot of breakaways for my speedy strikers, this lack of intelligence really gets my goat.

It's not just me. The computer has the same issues, so perhaps it's just the general suckiness of strikers in FM'09.

I think the "likes to round keeper" preferred move is most baffling here. What's the point of it, if the guy won't use it...

Anyway, if someone else noticed this and somehow coached his strikers to be smart, can you let me know? Thanks

from experiance teaching the player to round the keeper is really effective.

then i found one that it didnt work on and i asked him to unlearn it and then learn 'lob' the keeper - and that really worked well for him.

so if one aint working, try and get them to learn the other.

This thread will be closed soon and you´ll be flawed till death with half people saying its your fault and your tactic sucks only cause someones 20kk striker scored 20 goals on their last season.

My striker scored 42 league goals last season and I can see it's a massive problem. However the movement of defenders causes a substantial amount of one-on-one situations and if they went in at a realistic rate, the scorelines would be absurd.

Look at it from this point of view. How many chances do you see strikers get one on one? Imagine if they scored most of them. your talking matches with 10 goals per team then. That's the dissapointing bit, the amount of one on ones that are generated firstly, the amount missed secondly.

I think its all to do with goalies ability to hoover up balls from about 3 feet away. I thing the me uses metal balls and goalies with magnetic gloves.

LOL

Look at it from this point of view. How many chances do you see strikers get one on one? Imagine if they scored most of them. your talking matches with 10 goals per team then. That's the dissapointing bit, the amount of one on ones that are generated firstly, the amount missed secondly.

Totally agree. Far too many one-on-ones and very annoying that my strikers 9 times out of 10 will blast the ball at the keeper rather than pass it into the net!!! I askef them to learn to pass it into the corners of the goal but no they refused to learn lol

when will SI get this right though?

We had this issue in FM08 and it's the most annoying part of the game.

It gets so frustrating seeing your world class striker though one on one with the keeper and you have absolutely no hope that he will score!!

It's pretty obvious that rather than try and reduce the amount of one on ones, SI have just been lazy and reduced the likelyhood of them actually being scored and this makes for a ******** game engine.

My own theory is that its to do with angles. Certain angles of attack just fail every time ..

But in reality you know, how good does a player have to be to come at a goalkeeper over maybe fifteen yards from an oblique angle and - successfully - go round him or lob him and score?

I doubt it happens all that often ..

Jonathan Walters against Norwich, missed a one-on-one.

It may have something to do with your players confidence, if he is low on confidence then he is more likely to miss with only the goalie to beat.

nearly all my players have superb morale.

In reality, if it is a clear one on one with the keeper more than half will be scored.

You may have to take into account what the opposition GK stats are like, do they have good one-on-one, aerial ability, reflexes etc?

So it may not be your ST's afterall, you could be playing against a GK in good form, maybe you could improve their training.

well I am playing in the premiership so most GKs are good, doesn't mean they should save 9 out 10 one on ones though!

You may have to take into account what the opposition GK stats are like, do they have good one-on-one, aerial ability, reflexes etc?

So it may not be your ST's afterall, you could be playing against a GK in good form, maybe you could improve their training.

improve their training?!?!?!?! ah ah ah,

this is a BIG BUG, stop! and this BUG makes the game a true disaster of un-reality!

SI must fix that, or give us a possibiliti to play whit 3d match of version 9.1 and the bug fix of 9.2.

however, SI knows that this mistake and are trying to correct it. ( http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=83680 )

But suffice it to say that it is not a mistake, if you use the 9.2 and see the image of the game you will notice that this is a BUG.

and one last thing, if we use all the same thread rather than open new ones, maybe someone of SI will respond us....

sorry for my english :)

The defenders should mark better in general, to prevent the one on ones from happening so often.

There should be more "half chances" resulting from attempts on goal where defenders are around the player making the attempt, and these should be scored with about the same frequency as the current one on one frequency

The percentage of one on ones that result in a goal should be significantly increased, to about 50% (perhaps even more), instead of its current approx 10%, unless the player through on goal is the village idiot.

Steven Fletcher, on my Everton save, always finds himself one on one with the GK, when I'm playing away. But three quarters of his goals are at home... He always tries to lob the keeper, and he either gets it in, or hits the bar. So I asked to place the shots past the GK, and he said he'd try. Next away game, one on one, and he shoots from about 35 yards out, and it almost turned into a thrown-in.

It's unbelievable how stupid they can be...

I've had this problem too. Thought it was my tactics but then came on here and saw this. Luckily i've got quite alot of work on this month so i'll just be waiting for the next patch. Real shame about the bugs in this years version. Was shaping up to be one hell of a game!

this is so annoying, with finishing of like 14-20 one on one you expect them to score especially after you tell them to place there shots in the corners, and every time they hit it at the keeper, i mean my keeper saves a lot but i wouldn't mind conceding loads and scoring loads!

For those that say this is about right in 09 - if a top level striker misses 3 one on ones in a match (lets say, for instance, Robbie Keane) it is highlighted, and said that he's had a woeful game.

Why is this? Because it doesn't happen very often

Archived