Originally posted by Mitja:
Originally posted by HeartShapedMan:
I also think there are too many chances/shots on goal. As a long time fan/watcher of football, I'd put it down to three main match engine related reasons:
1) The final ball/cross is a bit too good/accurate. In real life it usually takes many attempts to get the final ball perfect in order to create a chance, even with world class players. It's a very delicate art. Which leads to my next point...
2) Defenders. The AI for defenders is poor compared to the attackers. They aren't very good at the fundamental law of defending - stay goalside of the attacker until the last possible moment (to then make a challenge). They are too static, as if ball watching, and rarely pick up players when the other team are attacking/around your area or just easily let the attacker get goalside. Also, the advantage is (usually) with defenders since when a ball/pass/cross comes in, all they have to do is clear it, whereas an attacker must bring the ball under control and/or get a shot on target, which is much more difficult. Defenders don't need to worry about bringing the ball under control, they can just clear their lines. There should be a lot more crosses/final balls being cleared and not instantly brought down and fired in by attackers when the two players are in the same place vying for the ball.
3) Goalkeepers. As I played as a goalkeeper when younger this irks me. Again, their AI, especially their positional awareness, is poor. They are terrific shot stoppers (maybe a bit too good) but when it comes to the fundamentals of getting your angles right they often fail miserably. They are often woeful at covering their near posts, which is an unwritten golden rule of goalkeeping, with goals let in at the near-post usually seen as an error by the keeper. They also seem to act a bit too quickly when it comes to the flight of the ball, they'll quickly run to where the ball/cross would land only to have it headed in at the near post with the goalkeeper standing 10 yards away out of his goal. Although that may be tied to eccentricity.
1) absolutly true. one pacey striker and you have as many 1/1 as you want, for example. but does the ball speed play big role here. I mentioned this many times, also did some test; the ball is too slow
(esp. on 8.0.1). just look at passes, players are waitnig for the ball, every second pass
. so it's no wonder that we have so many key passes, being succesfull. I know many will disagree, but comparing some real football matches with FM ME, you'll see what I'm talking about. as I said I did some tests also, but the problem is that we don't have REAL TIME in FM; you can't find any slider that would suite 1 minute of real time.
2) no doubt. IRE defender's got advantage over attacking player on passes, especialy long and through balls, becouse the ball is comming his way. he's got more time to react. in FM that isn't the case. why. ball speed in my opinoum. look at long balls for example. both, ATTing and DEFing players just stand still and wait
for the ball to fall. IRE you see much more movement to get to the ball.
I realy think increasing the ball speed slightky would bring more reality to the game via more bad passes, more movement to get to the ball, the ball would be harder to handle also...
3) goalkeepers are too good. but they have to be, becouse then we would have some realy crazy resoults out there.