i quit

ai is scoring at will,wheter i lead 3:0 it will score 3 goals,no matter,and it happens all the time,i have started 10 games and all the time the same,no tactic can help,its very unreal

If you don't change your tactics when 3-0 up and the AI start to attack with verve, expect to concede goals.

People didn't "get" lucky, they actually know what they're doing or at least try and make an effort to understand how to make it work. Give specific examples of your problems or stop crying about it.

OK, he's not crying about it, he's voicing his displeasure, which he's entitled to do.

I wonder how realistic FM09 actually is... I wonder how Alex Ferguson and the likes of other professional Managers would get on playing this game :)

I think FM09 is a great game by the way so not having a dig at it... its just a question I thought I would ask?

There have been quite a few news stories the past few years of actual football clubs (some quite reputable) using FM as a foundation to scout international talent....can't get much more of an advertisement for realism than that :)

Some. A few. Definitely a very small minority. But not many people.

How is you saying a very small minority any different to him saying many people? Unless either of you have done any kind of test, you can only really speak for yourself and probably a few other people playing the game. Even asking this forum isn't really enough to determine if its a minority or majority.

There have been quite a few news stories the past few years of actual football clubs (some quite reputable) using FM as a foundation to scout international talent....can't get much more of an advertisement for realism than that :)

Ever seen Mad Men? Hook, line, sinker and copy of the angling times there matey .. :D

Try slowing down tempo and short pass on your midfielders and forwards, giving defender direct passing. And counter attack.

You may even score more goals.

Yes, AI down on the score and starts attacking like crazy. But wouldn't you losing 3-0?

The game provides tactical solutions to this. Sometimes they will work and sometimes they won't, which happens in real life aswell.

I manage to keep the result most of the times, but as in real life, sometimes i can't. Didn't happen the opposite to you? Losing 3-0 and manage to get a draw or even a 4-3 win? It's just fair it can happen to both sides, but if you do the tactical changes you'll keep the result most of th times.

I'm of the same opinion as Stazinjo. I just have NO luck.

Are we the minority or the majority? :rolleyes:

Easy answer: You're in neither.

Long answer: Let's not get into this please, but the SI forums alone are hardly representative of the entire FM gaming population and it's impossible to judge.

I'm of the same opinion as Stazinjo. I just have NO luck.

Are we the minority or the majority? :rolleyes:

Tbh, I was kidding. :) . But i do think there are a fair number of people who find this game a little too unforgiving. :thup:

EDIT: sorry for double post earlier

Hehe. So does True Love. Apparently.

Isn't Everton the most supported club at S.I. Towers anyway? :p

Nope. The Collyer brothers support them, but it doesn't mean the rest of SI does. And the Collyer brothers don't work on the media side, as far as I know.

Personally every recent FM release has been difficult for me. When i first get the game i have very little success with tactics. So i spend a lot of time in the tactics forum looking for help and answers. It takes a while till i figure it out but then the enjoyment comes. Im still learning now. Give it time

I just won 3-1 at home and 'dominated'. I said I was pleased with the result. Didnt go mad.

Next game, away, we are slight underdogs so I played defensive. We lost 5-0.

We're top of the league by 6 points and have only conceeded 7 goals all season.

Its not realistic .. oh and my captain and star defender got 4.3 rating.

FM 09 is fun, but its not realistic at all half the time. Sorry! As I said before, its too random. There's too many variables in play when you can lose 5-0, save and reload and get a 3-0 win.

I've just finished my 15th game in charge of Liverpool. Beat Man Utd 1-0 at Anfield \o/

This was a goal scored early in the 1st half by Lucas and despite several chances by both teams, the game finished 1-0.

What I did was gradually adapt my teams playing style in order to counter the expected changes in tactic by United, as they searched and pressed for a goal.

I'm in no doubts that if I kept the starting formation and tactic, we would've conceded. You can't just sit back and let the opposition attack you and expect to get away with it; you have to continually chop and change.

The key word is reacting (to the opposition). :thup:

fwiw, in the 15 games I've played I've only conceded 2 goals. Am I one of the "lucky ones", or am I doing something right?

I've just finished my 15th game in charge of Liverpool. Beat Man Utd 1-0 at Anfield \o/

This was a goal scored early in the 1st half by Lucas and despite several chances by both teams, the game finished 1-0.

What I did was gradually adapt my teams playing style in order to counter the expected changes in tactic by United, as they searched and pressed for a goal.

I'm in no doubts that if I kept the starting formation and tactic, we would've conceded. You can't just sit back and let the opposition attack you and expect to get away with it; you have to continually chop and change.

fwiw, in the 15 games I've played I've only conceded 2 goals. Am I one of the "lucky ones", or am I doing something right?

or acting before the opposition, keeping you on top :)

The problem about "reacting" to the oppo, is that by the time you have navigated to oppo instructions screen they have already scored! OR if you really lucky, you may get to make the changes and the oppo score while the game is waiting for a gap in play to make the changes changes.

The problem about "reacting" to the oppo, is that by the time you have navigated to oppo instructions screen they have already scored! OR if you really lucky, you may get to make the changes and the oppo score while the game is waiting for a gap in play to make the changes changes.

I understand your point fully, Simon.

What I'm saying is, with all the people complaining about constantly conceding goals; there is still an equal (or greater!) number who aren't. That can't be dismissed as "luck", as has been said.

Pause the game before going to the tactics screen for changes?

Personally every recent FM release has been difficult for me. When i first get the game i have very little success with tactics. So i spend a lot of time in the tactics forum looking for help and answers. It takes a while till i figure it out but then the enjoyment comes. Im still learning now. Give it time

Spot on in my opinion.

if your good enough to be 3-0 up playing attacking football' date=' surly the Ai didn't just let you take that lead, why sgould they beable to change tactics and coem back to 3-3, if they was that good they should go 3-0 up id say..[/quote']

Have you never seen a comeback in real life then? That's exactly the kind of thing a change in tactics can achieve in the real world.

Too often people make posts like this one claiming the game is broken with issues like this. How can it be broken when there are plenty of us having success by spending time with the tactical side of things rather than just expecting a good group of players to win the game for us.

We all have exactly the same software don't we? So how can one person's be broken and another's be working? It's down to tactics, substitutions, tiredness of players, etc etc etc.

If you're not good enough to hold onto a 3:0 lead you need to accept that you're doing something different to us. You need to determine what that is, and put it right. The game ain't to blame.

Whether you're in the minority or I am doesn't matter. What matters is that some of us can make it work and, as I've said, we have the same software. So if I can be successful, you can too, but you're going to have to work at it.

FM 09 is fun, but its not realistic at all half the time. Sorry! As I said before, its too random. There's too many variables in play when you can lose 5-0, save and reload and get a 3-0 win.

yes, but that IS realistic - watch any cup 'upset' or hull hammering arsenal 4-1 this season. if they 'reloaded' their save and played it again it would have been a very very different result.

ive gone unbeaten all season, just lost 3-1 to bristol city in the 33rd game of the season. if i played it 100 times again i think id win 95 of them. unrealistic? no - they scored a lucky first minute goal, my star striker got injured in the 5th minute (a regen striker called alan shearer - and im newcastle - doesnt get better than that!) and after all that my team fell appart.

id say, spot on si.

i don't think alex ferguson tells his team to defned at 3 notches if 2-0 up

I dont think that alex ferguson tells ronaldo to make forward runs by dragging him up the pitch with a giant mouse either.

Sure it can be improved - but thats a really silly reason to say its not 'realistic'

So what? ***** happens all the time in football. As a manager you need some faith in your squad and tactics - and patience. And in the end, even if your tactics are good and your squad is better than average - you still could lose game after game until you got the sack. That´s one reason, why football is that interesting. It's easy and complicated at the same time. Easy when you win, very complicated if you don't win. :)

I wonder how realistic FM09 actually is... I wonder how Alex Ferguson and the likes of other professional Managers would get on playing this game :)

I think FM09 is a great game by the way so not having a dig at it... its just a question I thought I would ask?

I think that would be excellent, ship a free game to the top five managers in the premiership and see what they say LOL.

I can see it now the replies when they start complaining "it's your tactics"

However the idea has merit.

I think every manager - of football or on another job - would say the same - you can't simulate the handling of a bunch of people. If you where ever been in a position where you have to manage more than 5 people for a job or a specific goal - it's more complicated than FM ever could be. There are no sliders for people and some are tomorrow completely different than today. And you can't post it into the bugs forum. It's life.

I saw an interview on the TV with Jose Mourinho recently and he was talking about having to react constantly and make big tactical changes every 10-20 minutes to keep ahead of the game. And he's managed Chelsea, Porto and Inter to good effect so he must know a thing or two ;)

He was saying how much he enjoyed having a really good tactical battle with the other manager.

I haven't played the full game of '09, but the demo seemed nice and realistic. It would be nice to have some kind of interaction with the other manager during the game. This could be implemented by the commentary notifying you of the other manager shouting or preparing substitutions.

Maybe there could even be a button to complain to the referee or berate the fourth official. Do it at the wrong times and you could receive a fine or be sent to the stands.

Archived