Si making a blatant attempt to deceive us?

DS

Match Overview

Match Stats

Player Ratings My Team's Stats

Please look at those screenshots first. I am managing Canada.

I am not even going to bother with the obvious bug or cheating or whatever you want to call it where Bahamas had 3 shots on goal and scored 3 while I had 19 and scored 4. I will not complain about the fact that I was loosing 3-0 to a team who I am much better then.

But what I have a problem with is the fact that my goalkeeper let in 3 goals and made no saves and gets a match rating of 7. That performance deserves a 2 or a 3 but how does he get a 7? The opposition goalkeeper saved 15 shots and let in 4 and gets a 6. Now that performance should have a 7 or something but maybe a 6 is also fair? But compare the opposition goalkeepers performance to my goalkeepers performance and he should have a 10. This isnt the first time I have seen this. I have seen this many times. Almost always. The human controlled team's goalkeeper always gets higher ratings to make it look like he is playing better. Why would Si do that? Because the AI keepers are always performing better and this is used to disguise that fact. Si really need to fix this blatant attempt to deceive us.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Match Overview

Match Stats

Player Ratings My Team's Stats

Please look at those screenshots first. I am managing Canada.

I am not even going to bother with the obvious bug or cheating or whatever you want to call it where Bahamas had 3 shots on goal and scored 3 while I had 19 and scored 4. I will not complain about the fact that I was loosing 3-0 to a team who I am much better then.

But what I have a problem with is the fact that my goalkeeper let in 3 goals and made no saves and gets a match rating of 7. That performance deserves a 2 or a 3 but how does he get a 7? The opposition goalkeeper saved 15 shots and let in 4 and gets a 6. Now that performance should have a 7 or something but maybe a 6 is also fair? But compare the opposition goalkeepers performance to my goalkeepers performance and he should have a 10. This isnt the first time I have seen this. I have seen this many times. Almost always. The human controlled team's goalkeeper always gets higher ratings to make it look like he is playing better. Why would Si do that? Because the AI keepers are always performing better and this is used to disguise that fact. Si really need to fix this blatant attempt to deceive us.

Si is not deceiving us they are screwing us. I need to reload every match to get a result that reflect the chances. Right now i lost to real with Milan

My shots on target: 15 off target: 15

Their shot on target: 4 off target: 5

Final score 2-1 for real. Just complete crap.

The problem is, these stats don't actually tell the whole story. For all we know, the Bahamas goalie may have been at fault for at least one of the goals, whilst, although your goalie diodn't make a save, we can't tell how many crosses plucked out of the air. Looking at the cross completion stat for the Bahamas, it looks like it's possible it could be quite a few, so it's possible this helped his rating. I won't deny that it seems odd, but there could be more to this then meets the eye.

I also noticed that the Bahamas scored their final goal in the 47th minute. This is pure speculation on my behalf, as I have no eveidence to back this up, but, on my current save, I have noticed that if a goalie has been doing badly, but then goes for a long period of time with little to do, or anything of any importance, then his match rating may creep up a little, whilst if a goalie is playing a blinder, and then lets two quick goals in, his rating can plummit, and in the case of the Bahamas, this happened twice, so this is a possibility. Like I said though, I have no real evidence of this, bar one or two matches, which isn't really enough, but it's a possibility.

The stats have been borderline useless for a few versions now and I was hoping this may have been reworked in FM08. But like EVERYTHING ELSE it's been left exactly the bloody same because "FM08 is our greatest game ever!"

I beat a team 4-3 the other day and the opposition goalkeeper got a 10 ?? Sometimes my GK will save 10 shots, not concede a goal and get a 6 ?

But outfield is where the main problem is. You can be a couple of goals down and all of your players just get rated 6 or 7 and possibly the occasional 5. They need to use the full range of ratings to give you an understanding of why your team is playing bad. Look at ratings in a newspaper after a team wins a game and find me one where the entire team gets 7's and 8's.

The rating system is just one of many areas which is borderline broken on FM08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavnoble:

Of course the fact that your strikers probably have poor finishing, anticipation and composure skills doesn't come into the equation does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's if the manager knows how to use them properly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavnoble:

Of course the fact that your strikers probably have poor finishing, anticipation and composure skills doesn't come into the equation does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would the Bahamas have such brilliant strikers though?

I just came on to talk about the same thing. Every time I concede a goal I look at the stats and mroe often than not it'll be their first shot.

If I'm restricting the opposition to two chances in a game, then my defence is doing well. But in real life teams don't continually score every chance they get.

No.

But this happens way too often.

You have to carve out 5 or 10 chances for ewach goasl but whoever you play can score with their first chance time after time.

I don't want to win EVERY game. I want to have a fighting chance against oposition teams. And that means a modicum of reality in the chances/goals ratio on BOTH sides of the equation.

These are my last two games and both of them have the opposition scoring with their first shot (or two with their first two)

Fulham

West Ham

I could go back further for more examples.

I always tend to give the same reply to this fault - are the same people complaining about this when it happens to them as vocal on here when they are dominate and yet win with their only shot on goal? Answer, no. I've had as many games where I've been dominated and yet won than I have where I've dominated and lost to a team's only two shots on target etc.

People who complain about their teams' shot to goal ratio should perhaps look at real life football a bit more - even the best teams in England such as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all have far more shots on goal than they actually score, with a fair proportion of them being off target. They lose to teams who have fewer shots on goal - in some cases an oppositions only shot - so I guess this is a bug and SI ned to sort it out in real life as well?

I always tend to give the same reply to this fault - are the same people complaining about this when it happens to them as vocal on here when they are dominate and yet win with their only shot on goal? Answer, no. I've had as many games where I've been dominated and yet won than I have where I've dominated and lost to a team's only two shots on target etc.

People who complain about their teams' shot to goal ratio should perhaps look at real life football a bit more - even the best teams in England such as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all have far more shots on goal than they actually score, with a fair proportion of them being off target. They lose to teams who have fewer shots on goal - in some cases an oppositions only shot - so I guess this is a bug and SI ned to sort it out in real life as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually yes, as this issue (which we all know is a known isse with the match engine) can be exploited by us as unlike the AI we know that there are certain chances we can allow in huge numbers that wont get scored.

Using certain tactics (not outlandish or super tactics) this scenario happens game after game- this is not right.

Gav, Yes it happens in real life- but not as often as it does in FM, and certainly the amount of chances created in FM at times is very rare in real life.

There was no need for another thread, but also I cant believe people are actually also ignoring the fact that this is a known issue and one that should be fixed in the patch.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you understand yourself too how human mind works. Who really gets angry if they benefit? I think everyone would only be happy to win. And what you really would think if someone came here ranting that they are winning too easily icon_rolleyes.gif?

I find it funny when it happens, while it isn't too frequent nowadays because 9/10 times it goes against me. But it surely brings enjoyment and isn't any "injustice" against anybody. I really don't care if I win a "realistic" computer game by unrealistic way, but it bugs me very much to lose unrealistically every second match or something. It's different if I was playing against another human, it wouldn't be that satisfiable at all to "cheat".

And what about this? all my strikers have at least 18 for finishing an are mental ok

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=94059498lx7.png

Start to open your eyes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmyt:

No.

You have to carve out 5 or 10 chances for ewach goasl but whoever you play can score with their first chance time after time.

I don't want to win EVERY game. I want to have a fighting chance against oposition teams. And that means a modicum of reality in the chances/goals ratio on BOTH sides of the equation.

These are my last two games and both of them have the opposition scoring with their first shot (or two with their first two)

Fulham

West Ham

I could go back further for more examples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And again.

Shocker.

Three times in four games that the opposition has scored with their first shot. This time, of course, it was the ubiquitous 25 yard free-kick supergoal that it's tactically impossible to defend against.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eXistenZ:

And what about this? all my strikers have at least 18 for finishing an are mental ok

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=94059498lx7.png

Start to open your eyes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are their anticipation stats? What are their composure stats? No point having a finishing ability of 18 if you don't have good anticipatyion and composure stats is there?

My eyes are open by the way - they need to be to type! icon_razz.gif

I just don't see it as the huge problem as everyone else does - but then part of that is that I'm still playing FM 2007 and not FM 2008, so can't really comment on that match engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmyt:

No.

Fulham

West Ham

I could go back further for more examples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And again.

Shocker.

Three times in four games that the opposition has scored with their first shot. This time, of course, it was the ubiquitous 25 yard free-kick supergoal that it's tactically impossible to defend against. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the final score there....

ta da!

What are their anticipation stats? What are their composure stats? No point having a finishing ability of 18 if you don't have good anticipatyion and composure stats is there?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could bet again that as the date seems to be April 2008 and the team is AC Milan some who has even a slight clue about football could think that maybe in their best day those strikers could score at least a couple of "lucky" goals...

But on the another hand I'd say that Kaka, Inzaghi and Ronaldo to begin with are sold or injured and therefore they lack that composure and ability to score. Not to mention those suckable other attackers like Gilardino and Pato. So it's pretty obvious that he just doesn't have the players and resources to cut it... icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Silver Foxx:

SI what is your reply to these very valid points???

It's strange that this type of topic is never replied to by SI at all............. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's been plenty of reply from SI about this issue - have a search through some of the other 3million threads on this exact issue. If SI responded to every thread there'd be no time left to actually make the game.

Got the opposite problem (or quirk, not sure if it really is a problem).

Playing St Albans vs Oxford, tipped to lose, instead win 3-0 with Oxford taking 18 shots (7 on target) and my team had 19 shots (8 on target).

My keeper saves a penalty in the 47th minute (which would have made the score 2-1 to us, but brought Oxford back into the game) and keeps a clean sheet.

He only gets a rating of 7. I'd have given him a 9 at least!

So, I'm confused as to how a rating is calculated. The ratings have a big affect on confidence (especially in this version of the game) which could ultimately cost a manager his job, so does it need a tweak or is it working as expected, as far as the developers are concerned?

I just don't see it as the huge problem as everyone else does - but then part of that is that I'm still playing FM 2007 and not FM 2008, so can't really comment on that match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate...I find it funny that you're defending a match engine you admit not to know anything about... icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:

I just don't see it as the huge problem as everyone else does - but then part of that is that I'm still playing FM 2007 and not FM 2008, so can't really comment on that match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate...I find it funny that you're defending a match engine you admit not to know anything about... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because it's the same crap every year from the SI-Bashing gang. EVer since I visited this forum, there are people who complain their strikers don't score enough. As Gav said, they only ever complain if it's against them. I never heard of anyone come here to moan they won a game even though they only have one shot and the other team has 40.

As for the comment about "it doesn't happen that often in real life". Yes it does. More often than people think. But they wouldnt know because all they watch is highlight football where Rooney score a goal from every one or two shot

I don't think there are too many shots, rather that the game creates an unrealistic number of 1-on-1 chances (much more than in real life). Because there are normally not too many of these in real life in each match, a lot of these aren't scored in the game so as to keep the scorelines from becoming too large.

It's always frustrating for me if my strikers blow a large number of 1-on-1 chances in my games, but then I just remember that in real life they wouldn't have so many of these chances anyway (but it is always fun when I have a string of 2-0/3-0 victories and the opposing goalkeeper is the MoM). I hope for this to be sorted out in next update/patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jopo12:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could bet again that as the date seems to be April 2008 and the team is AC Milan some who has even a slight clue about football could think that maybe in their best day those strikers could score at least a couple of "lucky" goals...

But on the another hand I'd say that Kaka, Inzaghi and Ronaldo to begin with are sold or injured and therefore they lack that composure and ability to score. Not to mention those suckable other attackers like Gilardino and Pato. So it's pretty obvious that he just doesn't have the players and resources to cut it... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree with you, but i made Milan better in the database so it is not really an issue. Also Gilardini is good enough for Milan in that way. Also i use the real-time editor to fix the dropping mental stats, because it is unrealistic.

So it are not the players, it's the complet ****ed up, prehistorical, screwed match engine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jopo12:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But on the another hand I'd say that Kaka, Inzaghi and Ronaldo to begin with are sold or injured and therefore they lack that composure and ability to score. Not to mention those suckable other attackers like Gilardino and Pato. So it's pretty obvious that he just doesn't have the players and resources to cut it... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another thing: All m ycoaches say in their rapports: "would be a star-player with every Serie A-club". What idiotic explanaition are you giving there?

Even if their rating is not ultimate good, how do you explain that a lot of minor teams (parma, sampdoria livorno) get a score percentage of about 40-50%? while my team can't even reach 5%. It's time you cut your crap. If you can't say anything that makes sense, just **** off

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eXistenZ:

Even if their rating is not ultimate good, how do you explain that a lot of minor teams (parma, sampdoria livorno) get a score percentage of about 40-50%? while my team can't even reach 5%. It's time you cut your crap. If you can't say anything that makes sense, just **** off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are those percentages accurate, or have you just made them up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

Even if their rating is not ultimate good, how do you explain that a lot of minor teams (parma, sampdoria livorno) get a score percentage of about 40-50%? while my team can't even reach 5%. It's time you cut your crap. If you can't say anything that makes sense, just **** off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are those percentages accurate, or have you just made them up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at my posted screenshot. i got 1/19= 6%

Real got 1/3= 33%.

But against minor teams they just need one-two chances and they score.

I can't give an accurate percentage, that's why i said 40-50%. But cut the ******** and look at the real problem!

Why did you then? icon_rolleyes.gif

The match engine didn't seem too bad after a couple of patches to 07, 08 is a shambles but because it made #1 on the charts it's the greatest game ever according to SI.

SI admitted the stuff up early in the piece and the tweaks they made after that have resulted in the dodgy stats.

I have had some of those games where I had less shots than the opposition and still won, but it is still a problem whether we win or lose. Hell, the best way to win on this game is probably to try and have a lot less shots than the opposition. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't think there are too many shots, rather that the game creates an unrealistic number of 1-on-1 chances (much more than in real life). Because there are normally not too many of these in real life in each match, a lot of these aren't scored in the game so as to keep the scorelines from becoming too large. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nail-on-head. icon14.gif

SI didn't know how or couldn't fix it so they fixed it.

I still play and it probably is playable, but there are problems with this game that cannot be denied.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HonkyDick:

Why did you then? icon_rolleyes.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about because every single year you get the same posts from people kmoaning about something that I just don't see as being an issue. If you compare shots to goals ratios between real life football and the game there is not too much difference.

People often look for someone to blame when they don't pick up a win on the game and in this case, the match engine seems to be the easy target, instead of looking at their own players - and dare I say - tactics, or even thridly just putting it down to one of those days that even the best teams have from time to time.

You can't win every game you play and losing is frustrating, particualrly when you have dominated but as I said earlier I have had just as many occasions on the game where I have been dominated yet still won the game as to when I have dominated and lost.

To me this is like the so called superkeeper 'bug' that people are always complaining about - it's something that doesn't exist despite what people think.

Bottom line is if they win they they are God's gift to management, if they lose then it's SI to blame because they've made the AI biased against them.

End of the day it's only a poxy computer game, it's hardly life or death.

The problem is there are still nincompoops who deny them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there are still nincompoops who look for things that don't even exist. They fall inbto the same stupid category as conspiracy theorists. icon_rolleyes.gif

And there are still nincompoops who look for things that don't even exist. They fall inbto the same stupid category as conspiracy theorists. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look i wouldn't care if my opponent also needs 15 chances. But look at the facts. look at the screenshot! 1/19 versus 1/3. And you say their isn't a problem?

Please go back to the stupid hole you came from

And there are still nincompoops who look for things that don't even exist. They fall inbto the same stupid category as conspiracy theorists. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look i wouldn't care if my opponent also needs 15 chances. But look at the facts. look at the screenshot! 1/19 versus 1/3. And you say their isn't a problem?

Please go back to the stupid hole you came from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be my mothers hole, and at 33 years of age, then I don't think there's much chance of that happening dear.

Obviously I must be, after all I keep looking at the same stupid comments about problems that do not exist.

Try going away and looking at some stats from real life football matches, compare the goals to shot ratios and then come back and tell me if there is a problem. The results will surprise you but of course this would involve you actually making some sort of effort on your part, which I doubt you actually want to do because you don't wish to be proved wrong.

If you dig around there's a thread I started somewhere in GQ where I managed to lose a game where the other team played with ten players for almost two hours and had either one or zero shots on goal.

The fans must have had a proper head scratcher on the busses home.

Obviously I must be, after all I keep looking at the same stupid comments about problems that do not exist.

Try going away and looking at some stats from real life football matches, compare the goals to shot ratios and then come back and tell me if there is a problem. The results will surprise you but of course this would involve you actually making some sort of effort on your part, which I doubt you actually want to do because you don't wish to be proved wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But this is not a real fotball match. And even then. A week ago, i looked at the bbc about the FA cup matches. They showed the statistics of every match. And as far as i could see, there wasn't a single game that where one team had 6x more chances, but the game still ended in a draw. Yes there were game were it should have been a draw when someone won, or games where there should be a winner where there was a drawn but never something that obvious.

Are you a human or an ostrich who puts his (empty) head in the sand?

Please go back to the stupid hole you came from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gavnoble has looked at the facts. Actually, he has compiled some statistics which I am sure you completely ignored in favour of using one example to prove your point.

Out of interest, how many people who experience a poor shot to goal ratio have gone back through the match report to look at all of the shots and see if there is a reason why so many are being missed? It is incredibly boring, but I found it worthwhile.

I have created one tactic that was seeing my team creating chances but not taking them, so I decided to go through the match reports and look at the shots I my players were having. It turned out many of the shots rushed, blocked or from poor positions. One thing I considered is that perhaps my high attacking mentallity was causing my players to shot on sight instead of trying to carve out a decent oppurtunity. As a result, I decided it may be better to to reduce my mentallity a bit. As a result, whiolst my team were creating fewer chances, they were of better quality, and more were going in.

I'm not going to say that there is no issue here (I am undecided as of yet) but surely it would make more sense to try and find a solution to the problem rather then to continually whinge about it?

Try going away and looking at some stats from real life football matches, compare the goals to shot ratios and then come back and tell me if there is a problem. The results will surprise you but of course this would involve you actually making some sort of effort on your part, which I doubt you actually want to do because you don't wish to be proved wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are wasting your time, as the boy is obviously half-witted. Earlier on in the thread he was telling us how he had to reload every game if the result didn't match what he perceived as matching his world class mangerial skills. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YOUNGSTEVE:

You are wasting your time, as the boy is obviously half-witted. Earlier on in the thread he was telling us how he had to reload every game if the result didn't match what he perceived as matching his world class mangerial skills. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does manager skill matters if the match engine is completly screwed?

I can't give an accurate percentage, that's why i said 40-50%. But cut the ******** and look at the real problem! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be an arse. icon13.gif You've given a few isolated examples of your percentages but have provided absolutely NOTHING to say that these figures are indicative of what happens usually. So maybe it's you who should cut the BS and start providing some evidence to back it up?

The match engine is the problem, not the tactics. I set all my players "very rare" with distace shot. And still they do it. Also every one-on-one turns out to be pointless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much creative freedom do these players have? Do any players have "tries long shots" as a PPM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

I can't give an accurate percentage, that's why i said 40-50%. But cut the ******** and look at the real problem! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be an arse. icon13.gif You've given a few isolated examples of your percentages but have provided absolutely NOTHING to say that these figures are indicative of what happens usually. So maybe it's you who should cut the BS and start providing some evidence to back it up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like i said: i'm tired of taking a screenshot of every match, because there are some idiots here who are paid by SI to proclaime "there is nothing wrong with the match engine"

Why should i put effort in prooving something everyone with common sense knows already

Archived