Annoying bug/feature using TT&F

I've really enjoyed reading this year's TT&F and I've taken it very much to heart - much to the delight of our fans who are loving our work so far this season.

I've created 5 different tactics, as suggested; for regular, attacking, defending, holding and parking the bus.

Also, I've begun to use OI's extensively, looking through each opposing player before starting the match and setting their OI's according to their various attributes.

The problem?

Each time I switch tactics during a game, all those OI's are wiped out and I have to sit and go through the tedious process of looking at each one again and setting them all up pretty much exactly the same way. So unless I actually site and write each player's name out and make a note of the instructions before setting them, if in a typical match I go through 3 tactics (start Regular, switch to Holding and finish with Park the Bus) I end up having to look up opponent details and set OI's 33 times per match.

Surely we could have OI's stay put when you switch tactics? It's not like OI's are actually attached to a particular tactic so why should they be cleared when you change mid-match.

Not sure if it's a bug or a 'feature' but either way it makes proper use of OI's a real drudge. Anyone agree?

TT&F is stupid thing to use...

All AI teams use global settings...and I'm using it and it's just fine...won everything...

Right on. Most of the people who think TT&F is the holy grail of tactics aren't very good at playing the game in the first place, so when they discover that garish guide they naturally think they've unearthed all the secrets.

If you play with global mentality and have a basic understanding of what instructions to give a player relative to his position, you will go very far... and it's much more rewarding to win with your own tactics.

Nice words Ljuba82 - sure the guys who gave up a lot of their time for free producing what is an excellent guide appreciate it...

Ignore him, TT&F is a recommended must-read for all FM09 budding tacticians.

Its completely not needed. The ai teams all use global mentality settings and very weird player instructions that go against what the TT&F suggests.

You achieve far more success copying the AI's tactic than you do reading a 50 page document and applying weird and irrational settings for every possible match scenario.

If you play with global mentality and have a basic understanding of what instructions to give a player relative to his position, you will go very far... and it's much more rewarding to win with your own tactics.

Unfortunately this is a lot harder to understand in FM09 than in previous versions, a lot of the sliders don't make immediate sense as to how players will react on a pitch to them.

It's a bit of a general sweeping statement that anyone reading the TT&F don't understand much of the game, as many people (myself included) have been playing successfully for years but don't feel in control of what we're telling the players on the pitch what we want them to do in the latest version.

Okay hopefully this won't get deleted or locked!!! Wasn't getting on very well playing how I used to play (eg their long shots going in and all the other stuff everyone is moaning about) so decided to try the TT&F. Pretty much what I was doing any way. BUT now I have just noticed that for the player that scores against me, the settings I put for him in the OI have gone, just the scorer none of the others and no I haven't changed tactics. So surely this is a bug, if not any ideas?

No, not bashing anyone for using it, but saying its a must read is just silly. Is FM really in the state where you must read a 50 page document just to be able to achieve reasonable success?

whilst i agree with you on a fundamental level i have to ask one primary question: what do you find irrational in tt&f? my main gripe is that i disagree with the notion that every team needs to have 5 separate strategies, which seems fairly ludicrous to me. plan b, yes, but plan e? however, in their analysis and discussion in their 'mainstay' tactics i find it perfectly plausible.

as some context, i think tt&f is a very good piece of research but i only play with concepts i myself believe in when it comes to football, and by extension: FM. for example, i don't go with global or 'singular' mentality system, but a grouping formulation but that's perhaps for another thread. just wanted to make clear i'm no fanboy.

as a more relevant reply to thread i put to you that you really do not need to put so much emphasis on OP because everything you can do there is ALREADY implied with your team / player instructions with CD and such. if anything, setting a player should be 'closed down' to always or hard tackling only and so on, will pull a player out who perhaps wouldn't normally close down as much out of position and so forth. the only OI's i use are against Adebayor and opposition GKs i trust my tactics for everyone else.

whilst i agree with you on a fundamental level i have to ask one primary question: what do you find irrational in tt&f? my main gripe is that i disagree with the notion that every team needs to have 5 separate strategies, which seems fairly ludicrous to me. plan b, yes, but plan e? however, in their analysis and discussion in their 'mainstay' tactics i find it perfectly plausible.

as some context, i think tt&f is a very good piece of research but i only play with concepts i myself believe in when it comes to football, and by extension: FM. for example, i don't go with global or 'singular' mentality system, but a grouping formulation but that's perhaps for another thread. just wanted to make clear i'm no fanboy.

Same as you to be honest.

Nice words Ljuba82 - sure the guys who gave up a lot of their time for free producing what is an excellent guide appreciate it...

Ignore him, TT&F is a recommended must-read for all FM09 budding tacticians.

Sorry if this offended somebody...but I'm more sorry for people loosing their time trying to invent some complicated tactics with same results like people who are just using their brains...but make things simple.

Right on. Most of the people who think TT&F is the holy grail of tactics aren't very good at playing the game in the first place, so when they discover that garish guide they naturally think they've unearthed all the secrets.

Completely agree.

FFS both myself and the OP have asked a question looking for help and all we get is slagged off because we play differently to someone else. What is it with you people I had a post deleted cause someone in their infinite wisdom judged it to be moaning about 09. I have played this game for years ( with enjoyment I must add) and never ever used these forums except to find out if patches are ok. Now I am having trouble with the game all that happens is someone goes off topic by getting personal and we never get the answers we were looking for ( unless you state you are enjoying the game and SI are god)

Archived