AI's advantage is too big in 09

Especially in their homefield, before you score, they either keep attacking or settle very strong defense, after u score they will just press forward like crazy, especially their wingers can pass the defender very easily and send the deadly cross. Their keeper can assist, my own player will give the ball to their striker sometimes, even score the own goal for them. I just don't understand why SI make the AI team so godlike in the last few mins, the ball will just go to their feet.

I have been Hull city in the championship and Blyth in the blue sq north, Hull promoted through second place in first season and with blyth made it to the 3rd round FA cup only to lose away to ipswich. currently top and about 10 games left i look good to maintain it and get promoted.

With both teams i have had no money to spend so i can't comment about the transfer side of things but tactically i am doing something right. and i am by no means have a good tactical mind.

Its funny because I find this FM so much easier than 08.

I find it easier than last year too. Teams are nowhere near as deadly at the end as the 4-2-4 last year. It's easier to win things.

In fact I found it so easy in my first game to win the SPL with Rangers, and more importantly become the best team in Europe that I restarted a game where I could just sign Scots. I'm nearing the end of my sixth season and it's been more of a challenge. I rarely play more than a few seasons.

It is harder to score this year but it's easier to defend too. It seems to be all long range efforts and balls over the top from the opposition goalkeeper despite any tactic I use. Hopefully we will get more variety after the patch.

It does help I've been playing the game for a few years now of course so I know whats expected. Patience is the main thing. You need to work at building a tactic that works for you.

From what I've read on here it's different in England as Arsenal are the 'bees knees'.

Well i hate to bring obvious news here but...:

Use different formations through the game depending on what the AI puts out. Logical right?

Instead of... omg i haz a uber tactic it can beat anyone.

Well it cant anymore, act like a real manager and change to suit the needs :p

Hate to say it, but it is actually your tactics. I'm no expert, but there are well documented reasons for the AI overload in the last few minutes. A common one is that when we throw our teams into full attacking mode, our instructions don't match clearly and so the team is spread out and fractured in a way that means they can do nothing, while the AI more knows what it's doing.

i agree with the op on this one. although once i get a lead i more than often am able to hold on with sort of a shut up shop tactic.

i often make hypothetical $10,000 wagers when there's a header ball the defender ALWAYS gets it. if my player and the ai are going after a ball again i win the 10,000. and then there's the defender that has 11 pace and my mc has like a 14 defender passes him up to get a stray ball. and it's not like it happens occasionally it will happen the next match i play. i get a kick out of it actually. if SI needs a game save to see it i can drum one up in about 15 minutes. this is of course when ai is down a goal in the last 10 or so minutes of the game.

as far as the wingers go this is a definate bug. my wingers, ai's wingers, everybodys wingers is untouchable this year. when i said "sorta a shut up shop" the difference is i pass down the flanks. yeah sorta a cheat as my winger will make his usual 90 meter run then go to sleep in the corner as the defender knows that defending a winger in 09 is taboo.

The match engine doesn't know whether it's a human user or AI giving instructions so it acts the same way. Like Some Guy says, same rules.

However, it has been acknowledged that AI managers seem to be able to motivate their teams to get that extra 10% out of them just when it's needed.

When I'm defending a narrow lead with ten mins to go, I hardly ever concede because I pause the game and tinker with the tactics properly. I have a standard 4-5-1 that I resort to but then I do look at opposition too. About a minutes extra work all told.

The match engine doesn't know whether it's a human user or AI giving instructions so it acts the same way. Like Some Guy says, same rules.

However, it has been acknowledged that AI managers seem to be able to motivate their teams to get that extra 10% out of them just when it's needed.

When I'm defending a narrow lead with ten mins to go, I hardly ever concede because I pause the game and tinker with the tactics properly. I have a standard 4-5-1 that I resort to but then I do look at opposition too. About a minutes extra work all told.

In other words they are better than some people at managing their teams...

We all get the better of them, and this year in particular they can get the best of us, it's a great part of the game!

Use different formations through the game depending on what the AI puts out. Logical right?

Well said.

Some people play the same tactic regardless of opposition tactics and just race through the game. Thats fine but don't be surprised if you dont win as many games as before.

It takes more thinking before each match, much like real life ;)

I've still had all of my success ignoring the opposition. As far as I'm concerned they should be worried about what I do, and they normally are! It does backfire sometimes and I quite often have to fiddle during matches, but there's not way I'm changing my 4-4-2 anytime soon!

I've still had all of my success ignoring the opposition. As far as I'm concerned they should be worried about what I do, and they normally are! It does backfire sometimes and I quite often have to fiddle during matches, but there's not way I'm changing my 4-4-2 anytime soon!

There's more to tactics than just formation:)

Archived