Just won my first ever Premiership Title, and I'm buzzing. Am I sad?!

I've played this game for ten years and the most I have ever won is the FA Cup.

Just finished taking the Hammers to Premier League glory on goal difference with a 2-2 draw against second placed Arsenal on the last day of the season. If Arsenal won they were Champions. West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool all finished on 75 points.

And I am absolutely buzzing, and it's only a game!!!

My Mrs thinks I have finally lost it!

Has anyone else felt such elation and felt slightly embarrassed about it due to the fact as I say, it is only a game?!

I've played this game for ten years and the most I have ever won is the FA Cup.

Just finished taking the Hammers to Premier League glory on goal difference with a 2-2 draw against second placed Arsenal on the last day of the season. If Arsenal won they were Champions. West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool all finished on 75 points.

And I am absolutely buzzing, and it's only a game!!!

My Mrs thinks I have finally lost it!

Has anyone else felt such elation and felt slightly embarrassed about it due to the fact as I say, it is only a game?!

Funny thing is after the game supporter opinion was "Fans disappointed with 2-2 draw against Arsenal"!!!! icon_confused.gif

Just won the title and fans are disappointed with the draw?!

1st West Ham 38 21 12 5 71 37 +34 75

2nd Arsenal 38 21 12 5 62 31 +31 75

3rd Liverpool 38 22 9 7 54 30 +24 75

4th Chelsea 38 16 20 2 49 27 +22 68

5th Man Utd 38 18 9 11 56 32 +24 63

6th Newcastle 38 18 8 12 70 59 +11 62

7th Tottenham 38 18 6 14 39 34 +5 60

8th Everton 38 15 9 14 44 44 0 54

9th Aston Villa 38 13 13 12 51 55 -4 52

10th Reading 38 14 9 15 53 52 +1 51

11th Blackburn 38 13 11 14 49 50 -1 50

12th Portsmouth 38 12 11 15 36 45 -9 47

13th Birmingham 38 11 9 18 35 53 -18 42

14th Wigan 38 9 13 16 29 42 -13 40

15th Derby 38 10 10 18 35 50-15 40

16th Man City 38 9 12 17 38 42 -4 39

17th Fulham 38 7 15 16 39 50 -11 36

18th Bolton 38 7 15 16 31 48 -17 36

19th Sunderland 38 10 4 24 38 64 -26 34

20th Middlesbro 38 7 11 20 39 73 -34 32

To be honest i dont know how you managed to win in the first season with West Ham. I would generally say that the game becomes easier after about 3/4 seasons because the AI for the top teams sells top players and does not spend in the transfer market intelligently. But the first 2 seasons are a real challenge especially for West Ham, Congratuations, who did you buy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by qrj:

I once had to go up hospital to have my foot checked out after a temper tantrum caused by Football Manager.

So no, you're not sad, enjoy the feeling! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on... how do you know that you're not sad too? icon_wink.gif

Well done Sussex Hammer. It is a great feeling when you win your domestic title and no you're not sad. icon_biggrin.gif

It's been a long while since I've won the Premier Division crown, although I've not managed in England a great deal in FM08.

Well done indeed!

I'm three seasons in and nowhere near a title (with Man Utd). Chelsea are winning everything in sight.

With every other version I've managed to win something from the start ut FM08 is challenging...which is fantastic!

Enjoy the success...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To be honest i dont know how you managed to win in the first season with West Ham. I would generally say that the game becomes easier after about 3/4 seasons because the AI for the top teams sells top players and does not spend in the transfer market intelligently. But the first 2 seasons are a real challenge especially for West Ham, Congratuations, who did you buy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd started a few seasons but when one was looking promising my saved game crashed!! So I started again but this time rather than buy the younger talent like Breno and Banega I went for present talent.

My team at the end of the year looked like this :

GK GREEN

RB NEILL

LB McCARTNEY

CB FERDINAND

CB IGNASIVEVICH

DM PARKER/MAKOUN

RM GILES BARNES

LM LJUNGBERG

AM DYER

TM ASHTON

CF BRIAND/BELLAMY

Subs, The likes of Etherington, Faubert and Cole to add to that.

I'd designed a 4-4-2 Diamond Formation as well and tinkered throughout the season.

The likes of Briand, Ashton, Barnes and Ljungberg were immense. I didnt really have wingers I had my wide men tucked in so Barnes and Ljungberg picked up a fair few goals and assists.

Got lucky as well, I must have gone behind in a quarter of the matches I won but stuck to the tactic and always scored goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sussex Hammer:

Funny thing is after the game supporter opinion was "Fans disappointed with 2-2 draw against Arsenal"!!!! icon_confused.gif

Just won the title and fans are disappointed with the draw?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great achievement mate. Fans are always fickle - I got 4th in my first season with Spurs and couldn't get higher or lower in my last game (and with the UEFA Cup) to play, I put a reserve team in and lost. The fans were unhappy about that defeat! Not winning the UEFA Cup or 4th in the league but a pointless game icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GK GREEN

RB NEILL

LB McCARTNEY

CB FERDINAND

CB IGNASIVEVICH

DM PARKER/MAKOUN

RM GILES BARNES

LM LJUNGBERG

AM DYER

TM ASHTON

CF BRIAND/BELLAMY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your achievement is even more special considering you had dyer in the team

Yeah, thisd games crazy! Me and my mate who are having a network had like a 1000 word debate over MSN as to our positions in the career! We might all be sad, but we're in good company!

In this conversation, I'm Andy by the way. Oh dear, I'm obsessed! What a game, and what a sense of achievement I got from winning the BSN play offs in the first season with Redditch who were predicted bottom! Anyway - here's the conversation - feel free to laugh!

Rooky says:

well there are many more seasons in this career

Rooky says:

and things could change

Andy says:

Indeed they could

Andy says:

And that's what I'm trying to prevent, and what you're trying to ensure happens.

Andy says:

I don't think you're thinking of my team's well being when you say do it in January, instead I think your thinking about speed.

Rooky says:

I think we took charge we both made an immediate impact in our respective positions. But I think you went more for the huge impact and doing everything asap attitude. I think I went more for the let's take things slowly and lets get us turning the screw slowly but surely approach.

Rooky says:

*when we took charge

Andy says:

I think that's ********.

Rooky says:

as in getting promoted asap

Rooky says:

not continuing asap

Rooky says:

i'm talking about results here

Rooky says:

not the way we play the game

Andy says:

We both opted for the same approach, such was the 4 point difference between us. We both wanted promotion, we both took the same approach. You can say that in hindsight but in reality we both sought the same. You wanted promotion as much as, if not more than me. I've already stated I might feel more comfortable in my progression as a manager if I was still in the Blue Square North.

Rooky says:

I o have to admit Ifeel more comfortable this season than I did last

Andy says:

The thing is, if you take the results from when we played each other away, against other teams you actually achieved better results. Somehow you picked up 2 extra points in those 40 matches. We were both on the same road, it all came down to what happened when we played each other, and for whatever reason my approach was better than yours, and I went on to win both matches, and deservingly so.

Rooky says:

As last season was more of a whirlwind really

Andy says:

The fact is we were both on the same road, in the same boat. We both were surprised with how well we ended up doing. We convinced ourselves that it was "all about 50 points" and then when we met that aim we both went out with all guns blazing, knowing we could really do something, but there was almost an inevitability that only one could succeed in promotion. You WERE better in those 40 games!

Andy says:

Read!

Rooky says:

well you finished 6 ponts ahead of me

Rooky says:

Andy says:

Oh right ...

Rooky says:

i finished 4 points off the playoffs

Andy says:

Well we did equally well in those fixtures when we weren't up against each other. If you take those games between us out of the big picture, then we both did equally well and both of our minds were set on building up sides to fight for promotion next year, it looked a possibility that one of us would obtain premature promotion, and it was so. But our mindsets were the same.

Andy says:

And you'd be a fool to say my team aren

Andy says:

't ready to survive in the BSP.

Andy says:

I mean look at us, 4th in the BSP, and that's having had two consecutive disappointments.

Rooky says:

i'm not saying you can't survive

Rooky says:

but you're doing it the hard way

Rooky says:

instead of steadily building yourself up

Andy says:

The question is, as a manager would it be better for the development of my career if I hadn't obtained this potentially premature promotion. I mean, bloody hell, if this is kept up I could be in the football league for next year, never could I have dreamt that up!

Andy says:

But is it the hard way? I've found it the easy way, our aim, to survive in the BSP, bloody easy. I'm 4th for goodness sake! Whereas you are on target, I'm WAY above target. Which is easier I ask myself? Which is exceeding target with greater ease? Me. I

Rooky says:

i'm already above my target

Andy says:

It would almost have been nice to miss out in the final, to spend another year developing the team, my knowledge of the team and my ability as manager.

Rooky says:

this is what i'm getting at

Andy says:

Well, I'm talking REAL targets. In your head, if you missed out on promotion you'd be disappointed.

Rooky says:

and this is the luxury i have now

Andy says:

Our mindests were exactly the same when we set out on the long and grueling task, but the results obtained are different. My two victories over you sealed my fate.

Rooky says:

yeah

Andy says:

"But I think you went more for the huge impact and doing everything asap attitude. I think I went more for the let's take things slowly and lets get us turning the screw slowly but surely approach." As a manager, you can never act to anything but the best of your ability. We both took the same approach. This is just wrong. It was the end result which was different, but we were on the same mission

Andy says:

I really would have liked to take things slowly, it's that second season where you really get to know the abilities of your players, to test them, to know what needs to happen and where and to get your head ready for the Blue Square Premier. But, I'm up now, no longer am I top notch in my division, no longer can I sit back and learn of my teams capabilities. But hang on, I'm 4th. Hmmm.

Rooky says:

its been good discussing with you

Andy says:

I'm clearly doing a sterling job in the Blue Square Premier, but it's this premature promotion which means the mindset is not quite there, this that is giving me itchy feet. We've come on, leaps and bounds, but am I ready? Hmmm. But then again, it's a game, what the hell am I talking about? It must be a bloody good game to provoke this sort of discussion. Somehow I'm out of my comfort zone.

Andy says:

And this, is what makes FM great! These discussions! So in depth!

Rooky says:

you make a good point

Rooky says:

if you do o up this season then you'll have an ace chance of bagging a big job

Rooky says:

by big i mean maybe huddersfield

Andy says:

And this is also where it's good not to rush or to wait until January, but to sit back and discuss and review our respective situations.

Andy says:

Yeah!

Rooky says:

but you also have to admit, like I do with Vauxhall, it would be very hard to leave Redditch considering how far you've taken them

Andy says:

But I'll tell ya what ... I've sat back and written about 10/11/12 massive chunks of texts all about a pc game! What a game. How immensely interesting. And what a discussion we've had!

Rooky says:

yeah

Rooky says:

but you also have to admit, like I do with Vauxhall, it would be very hard to leave Redditch considering how far you've taken them

Rooky says:

read

Andy says:

In a sense yes, but the fact that I've taken them up so quickly gives me less time to get attached to them. To sit back and think, to stick with a particular squad. It's all about building, ASAP. Weird.

Rooky says:

yeah

Rooky says:

would you sign any redditch players for a higher league club?

Andy says:

You get more attached if you work, slowly but surely.

Andy says:

Without a doubt!

Andy says:

Supposing we were each 2 leagues up ... me league one, you league two. Tell me, which players would you want to take with you, and what standing would they have at your new club?

Rooky says:

well

Rooky says:

does this inclue loanees?

Rooky says:

*include

Rooky says:

right

Rooky says:

gtg

Andy says:

Steele - Starting goalkeeper.

Oji/Manchester - One would start at CB, with a more experienced head.

Raynes/Jarvis - One would slide into the rotation system.

Meguireche - Maybe, just maybe - rotation

Rooky says:

i'll stay on

Andy says:

yes, it does include loanees.

Andy says:

k

Rooky says:

as i'll be back

Rooky says:

bye

Andy says:

I'd also take -

Nardiello AND Elding - One would start - one bench ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your achievement is even more special considering you had dyer in the team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually he was outstanding bar he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo!! Considering a replacement for my Champions League campaign at AM.. Considered Van Der Vaart, but an AM who can dribble and shoot. Any suggestions?

Archived