Letting off steam - Poor quality standards SI

Chaps,

Forgive me but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the seemingly poor show with regards to graphical bugs in the game. I can see a number of people are having issues with the pitch display (black/lines) the framerate, the players in blank kit colours, the ref in a blank kit, keepers in blank kit. The latter three affect me... Some (most?) have no problems or have not noticed the minor things. But some of us get slapped in the face when trying to play the darned thing. I cannot exactly ignore the problems I have - would you if all the players were in white?

First save as QPR...

-In every single game the ref/officials and both keepers would be in a white kit.

-In the occassional game opposition players would be in all white kit.

-In pre-season matches every opponent would be in white kit.

In my new save (Newcastle)...

-Every player/official is in white. I cannot tell who is who 90% of the time. This may just be during pre-season, if its not (will see tmw) it makes watching the match pointless.

It's so flaming frustrating having to put up with this kind of stuff and not see any return from input provided by a few people on in the bugs forums :( Makes watching/preparing through pre-season a complete mess as I always use 3D Extended Highlights. Its so tiresome! I'm aware there are a ton of things you hope to patch, indeed you covered a great many in the first fix but that, in some ways, goes to explain the situation with which I'm unhappy with - so much to fix...

I hope this is logged somewhere (if you cannot find it ask for input - lord knows I'd do what I could do help you track down the problem) and corrected in the next patch whenever that may be.

I would just like to enjoy the game as shown on the back of the box ;) When it works its great fun. It's just a shame I have to make so many excuses for FM. Badger Sega for better QA kit/resource in future ;)

Grumble grumble etc.

For more information: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=72489

It's the usual story, SI release a game, game is full of bugs, patch comes out and gets rid of some bugs, 2nd patch comes out and the game is now somewhere near where it should have been in the first place.

• SI Staff

In fairness we release a demo so people can get an idea of what will be in the box.

Short of doing a public beta I am not sure if a game like this can ever be released without some bugs slipping through. And even then........

And last time we dida large scale beta someone decided to leak it :-(

To be fair, there are plenty of people enjoying the game who've not noticed any of the things in the OP. It's the first I've heard of them. I asked in another thread whether people are playing the same game as me. I'm so pleased with it that I wouldn't even be that bothered if there wasn't another patch.

I'm not being a 'fanboy'. Couldn't be more sick of that word. I just think it's important to get some balance. There are a lot of people happily playing and enjoying the game. For me, it just comes down to the fact that I haven't noticed any bugs that are spoiling my game. Sorry!

To be fair, there are plenty of people enjoying the game who've not noticed any of the things in the OP. It's the first I've heard of them. I asked in another thread whether people are playing the same game as me. I'm so pleased with it that I wouldn't even be that bothered if there wasn't another patch.

I'm not being 'fanboy'. Couldn't be more sick of that word. I just think it's important to get some balance. There are a lot of people happily playing and enjoying the game. For me, it just comes to the fact that I haven't noticed any bugs that are spoiling my game. Sorry!

Agreed, I don't care if some graphical items like shirts of teams and officials are not correct or are the same each time. I preferr a good playable game, which is now is after the first patch and will be better after the second.

The demo was not very good until you patched, this also applies for the game, it is not for nothing that SI released a patch on the same date as game goes on sale.

The only shirt bug I've noticed is that occasionally home teams play in their away strip. I'm not trying to take away anything from those who have had this bug. I can understand anyone's frustrations with things that aren't right. It's just... did SI sell me the only properly working copy because I almost never agree with any of the complaints I read about FM09. Personally, I have a working game with very few noticable bugs. I guess you could say I'm confused.

No question that there were issues in 9.0 that should have been avoided on our part.

You guys were good about holding your hands up in that respect. Although I do think you ended up taking the flack for a whole team of testers that didn't get things quite right.

I've noticed clashing colours quite a bit, but it's not much beyond a minor annoyance.

Having to try and read the commentary text when playing as Man City however... is just frustrating!

It seems like fair punishment for managing Citeh if you ask me. ;)

I have to say that I haven't seen any of the OP's issues in my games. Pre-patch there were some serious issues but (certainly in my game) post-patch they have been sorted. The thing that gets me is how come some people have all these issues but others have none! There is only a couple of possible variables between the game I play and what everyone else is playing!

My only issue is that game sometimes seems "unoptimised"...sometimes the menu buttons don't respond to my mouse clicks, sometimes the game freezes, every match freeses for a couple of seconds at (7:00 or 8:00 and some other minutes which are always the same) - I've formatted my computer and it has gotten better, but still too many freezes for my taste - with 2G ram, Core2 and "freshly" installed WinXP I think it should run smoother. But despite this the game is just great! Since release I don't play anything else and I've totally gotten into it. Even got my own tactic for the first time!

There will always be bugs with this type of game and I think most people do understand this but its the really basic bugs that seem to get through or even the fact that the game just doesn't work and causes so many conflicts when it is supposed to have be Q&A'd that is the frustrating part.

In fairness we release a demo so people can get an idea of what will be in the box.

Short of doing a public beta I am not sure if a game like this can ever be released without some bugs slipping through. And even then........

i could bug test the game on my own better than what usually happens

Chaps,

Forgive me but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the seemingly poor show with regards to graphical bugs in the game. I can see a number of people are having issues with the pitch display (black/lines) the framerate, the players in blank kit colours, the ref in a blank kit, keepers in blank kit. The latter three affect me... Some (most?) have no problems or have not noticed the minor things. But some of us get slapped in the face when trying to play the darned thing. I cannot exactly ignore the problems I have - would you if all the players were in white?

First save as QPR...

-In every single game the ref/officials and both keepers would be in a white kit.

-In the occassional game opposition players would be in all white kit.

-In pre-season matches every opponent would be in white kit.

In my new save (Newcastle)...

-Every player/official is in white. I cannot tell who is who 90% of the time. This may just be during pre-season, if its not (will see tmw) it makes watching the match pointless.

It's so flaming frustrating having to put up with this kind of stuff and not see any return from input provided by a few people on in the bugs forums :( Makes watching/preparing through pre-season a complete mess as I always use 3D Extended Highlights. Its so tiresome! I'm aware there are a ton of things you hope to patch, indeed you covered a great many in the first fix but that, in some ways, goes to explain the situation with which I'm unhappy with - so much to fix...

I hope this is logged somewhere (if you cannot find it ask for input - lord knows I'd do what I could do help you track down the problem) and corrected in the next patch whenever that may be.

I would just like to enjoy the game as shown on the back of the box ;) When it works its great fun. It's just a shame I have to make so many excuses for FM. Badger Sega for better QA kit/resource in future ;)

Grumble grumble etc.

For more information: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=72489

it certainly is strange. i've not experienced one probelm you've mentioned. i'm really enjoying watching the 3d match engine. its smooth. i like the way the players run and shot and round the keeper. i like the way keane scored a beautiful chipped goal that left the keeper stranded. i love the power shots that gerrard sends in from 30yards.

in fact i've yet to see a player act stupid.

no doubt there are a few glitches. like when you make a sub when the box pops up to tell you a foul has been commited that box will not disappear until another foul has been commited. but its certianly not ruining my enjoyment.

best version of FM yet!!

play in 2d then your problems are solved

that is a rather lame comment considering the whole buzz around 09 was the 3d. people's expectations were peaked by the pr and the pre-release footage, so you can't play the 'settle for the old' when someone has promised you the new.

personally its ok. but then i have a 125 euro gpu and a nice dual core cpu ..

I'm not being 'fanboy'. Couldn't be more sick of that word. I just think it's important to get some balance. There are a lot of people happily playing and enjoying the game. For me, it just comes to the fact that I haven't noticed any bugs that are spoiling my game. Sorry!

I'm in a lazy mood, this basically says what I think also.

Yep, and I applaud that (demo release) but we all know it gets patched on/near release. At least it enables those who cannot run the game at all to see how far off a playable game they would have. Then again, would I be right in thinking many who couldnt even launch the game can with the latest patch?

I'd agree that bugs will always (both unnoticed and waived - of which there might well be too many of the latter?) end up in the first public release, but some of the stuff... well, its just unfortunate that it is not caught in the QA process. If it is not brought to your attention, I cannot expect you to fix it (a bug). You must have discussed alternative ways of testing the game across a wider selection of machines? Even a very early non-interactive shell of a app that cycled through events in the match engine/representation might enable people to catch things. How about a playable pre-season, one league, before the demo? Machine testing seems to be the biggest problem here. All of these things means more work but I'm just throwing out suggestions that SI might consider if they are to improve the quality of their releases which, in my humble opinion, needs looking at. There is a problem when people on your forum have to ask you to improve the QA of your games... surely?

You dont have a dedicated design team, let alone one designer on the project. Do you have an internal producer? I'd be stunned if you did not. However... is this producer wearing just the one hat or are they also part of the code team? I'd wager he is doing two jobs.

Agreed, I don't care if some graphical items like shirts of teams and officials are not correct or are the same each time. I preferr a good playable game, which is now is after the first patch and will be better after the second.

The demo was not very good until you patched, this also applies for the game, it is not for nothing that SI released a patch on the same date as game goes on sale.

I wouldnt mind if the kits were the same everytime (e.g. your home kit was always used). But its pretty stupid when everyone on the field is in white :) Thing is, this happens in pre-season and then only on occassion during the season! Yet to confirm this with my second save though.

Why are pre-season games treated differently to in-season? Strange. That to me smacks of game code not PC spec.

I've noticed clashing colours quite a bit, but it's not much beyond a minor annoyance.

Having to try and read the commentary text when playing as Man City however... is just frustrating!

I could just about live with that (hopefully fixed in future patch). The Man City thing... that really should have been spotted (I assume it was?) and fixed. Well, altered so as not to cause eye strain. Some obscure team in an obscure league... fine, I can see that slipping through, but a Prem team? It wouldnt be a priority fix but if this is something that crops up year after year you'd hope it would have been solved by now. Minor yes, but representative of quality standards IMO. Who signs off on this stuff?

I've not noticed any of the issues posted by the OP.

Can we swap machines? ;) I dont doubt most havent seen the extreme problem I mention. My matches run (speed wise) fine most of the time. But the kits thing is annoying.

play in 2d then your problems are solved

3D is kind of a big feature though isnt it? I'd come to really enjoy that and it'd be hard to go back. If I knew the kits thing was to be fixed maybe I'd live with 2D for those instances when all-white kits occurred but the problems not been officially registered. Should I really have to work around such stuff? Just seem to do this with FM...

There will always be bugs with this type of game and I think most people do understand this but its the really basic bugs that seem to get through or even the fact that the game just doesn't work and causes so many conflicts when it is supposed to have be Q&A'd that is the frustrating part.

This I would agree with completely. It is hugely annoying when you're hit with the a problem/problems.

Archived