The Double -- C64

My first ever Football Manager game, I think based on the 1985 season. Anyone else played these games from so far back?

I think I only ever played 1 complete season, as Bolton Wanderers! Used to always destroy Newport County :p.

My first ever Football Manager game, I think based on the 1985 season. Anyone else played these games from so far back?

I think I only ever played 1 complete season, as Bolton Wanderers! Used to always destroy Newport County :p.

Remember the double(was it only available from an advert in match/shoot??)

Had the c64 version but the spectrum version was much better. what a game!!!

I used to play a game called Football Manager (by Kevin Toms) on the ZX81 ... I hope he was well looked after by SI.

Football Director (Spectrum) was class ...

Football Director was indeed class. I could never get into it, but my dad used to play until the cows come home. Think he wore out the original cassette we bought and so he ended up having to buy it again. Still dabble with both The Double and Football Director using a Spectrum emulator, brings back the old days.........

There was a football management game that had players like Denis Law and such in the game, and even had a 'graphical' view of the game which was essentially stick men passing a dot between themselves then between a slightly triangular goal. It was on the Amstrad. Anyone remember it?

The C64 is still the best home computer system I've ever had and I would trade my Xbox 360 in right now if I could have mine back with all the games. Loved it.

But I have a question. I was too young at the time to appreciate anything like a football manager game on the C64..... so how did the games work? I mean, I assume there was no save game facility so did you spend hours from scratch every time you loaded it up?

The C64 is still the best home computer system I've ever had and I would trade my Xbox 360 in right now if I could have mine back with all the games. Loved it.

But I have a question. I was too young at the time to appreciate anything like a football manager game on the C64..... so how did the games work? I mean, I assume there was no save game facility so did you spend hours from scratch every time you loaded it up?

on the speccy at least you could save it - but you saved the entire game together IIRC (ie when you loaded the game with the saved version you loaded the save and game together...um.. am i explaining myself well here?)

I used to buy a new management game every week or two on my speccy - someone called T Huggard seemed to bring out a new one almost every day! Always remember the name cos i thought it said "thuggard" for ages

Cant be sure, but i seem to remember "LET M=9" was how you made your players have a 9 rating after BREAKing it

You could save the games, you just had to have a spare blank cassette to save the games on, every time you started a new game it would ask if you wanted to load a saved game.

Think I might wheel this out tonight and play a few seasons. Good thing about the emulators is that you can speed it up pretty significantly, I remember not long ago I played through a season in about 15 minutes! Also if you search hard enough there is even a Double editor for the Spectrum version.

Time for me to post this again :p :

I have been playing Championship Manager 93/94 quite regularly recently, continuing my Man Utd game. I'm in the 2008/2009 season. My other save is Brighton and Hove Albion (home town), which I promoted up to a yo-yo Premiership club from Division 2. Nogan is awesome! That's in the late 90s though.

Once I played a game up to the 2030s, so about 40 years. Even the managers had all retired.

The European Cup is much more ruthless in format and competition, especially as the game starts only just after the ban. In the Man Utd game I reached the final in '99 or 2000 but lost it and thus The Treble to, yes, Bayern Munich. I won the Euro Cup finally in 2005, beating Porto. :D

Also I won the Premiership 7 times in a row after the first season.

cm.jpg

Be fine with providing any screenie requests of pics for my 2008/2009 game, or perhaps the other save for any Seagull fans out there.

The Man Utd save has a couple of records gone before the last few seasons as I moved the save game from one comp to this one.

It works fine on XP, although for some reason it's stopped working now so I use DOSBox.

Had to reply to this the Double was the most and best footie managment game of the 80s and Football director was not far behind ethier. As for kevin toms football manager sheer genius and teriffic gaming.

look at football manager now and compare to the 80s games both addictive games but jumped leaps and bounds since then but hats fo to those 80s games they are the inspiration behind football manager of today.

The Double on the Spectrum was awesome. You nearly always had to start as Gillingham or Fulham for some reason.

You could make huge amounts of cash by signing a player from a lower division and then reselling him - only catch was that you could only get players injured if you had any reserves, so you could buy someone to make a quick buck only for your star player to be out for ages. And who did you have to replace him? Just the new guy.

But Tracksuit Manager was by far the best management game of the era.

Double. Loved it on the C64 and the Spectrum. C64 was more accurate and when you got good players it seemed to improve your team more, whereas the spectrum version seemed a bit more random. But the graphics were terminally dire on the C64. Still blame it for me messing up my A Levels in '87 mind!

Quow was a legend for the Gills - they also had Cascarino at #11 if I remember right and Hillyard in goal. Happy days.

The Double on the Spectrum was awesome. You nearly always had to start as Gillingham or Fulham for some reason.

You could make huge amounts of cash by signing a player from a lower division and then reselling him - only catch was that you could only get players injured if you had any reserves, so you could buy someone to make a quick buck only for your star player to be out for ages. And who did you have to replace him? Just the new guy.

But Tracksuit Manager was by far the best management game of the era.

ah yes:

"world class"

"excellent"

"brilliant"

"useful"

were the ratings i remember - was never sure which was supposed to be better between excellent and brilliant, and the other thing is that they didn't have any "bad" ratings at all

Time for me to post this again :p :

I have been playing Championship Manager 93/94 quite regularly recently, continuing my Man Utd game. I'm in the 2008/2009 season. My other save is Brighton and Hove Albion (home town), which I promoted up to a yo-yo Premiership club from Division 2. Nogan is awesome! That's in the late 90s though.

Once I played a game up to the 2030s, so about 40 years. Even the managers had all retired.

The European Cup is much more ruthless in format and competition, especially as the game starts only just after the ban. In the Man Utd game I reached the final in '99 or 2000 but lost it and thus The Treble to, yes, Bayern Munich. I won the Euro Cup finally in 2005, beating Porto. :D

Also I won the Premiership 7 times in a row after the first season.

cm.jpg

Be fine with providing any screenie requests of pics for my 2008/2009 game, or perhaps the other save for any Seagull fans out there.

The Man Utd save has a couple of records gone before the last few seasons as I moved the save game from one comp to this one.

It works fine on XP, although for some reason it's stopped working now so I use DOSBox.

I mainly wonder how you get around the 'expected to move abroad at end of season' bug.

My game always crashed at the end of a season when one of my players moved abroad, so before I had to retire and create a new manager thereafter :(

That was Amiga though.

Where can you get a legal PC copy of that these days?

Wow, I loved Tracksuit Manager. Fantastic, I was about 9 when that came out.

Also, anyone remember Emylyn Hughes International Soccer? That was a quantum leap in football games, the ball physics were another level, forget Kick Off 2 and Sensible. Plus you could edit player names. Mega.

Wow, I loved Tracksuit Manager. Fantastic, I was about 9 when that came out.

Also, anyone remember Emylyn Hughes International Soccer? That was a quantum leap in football games, the ball physics were another level, forget Kick Off 2 and Sensible. Plus you could edit player names. Mega.

Emylyn Hughes, what a classic they were the days, did anyone ever play Brain Cloughs Football Fortunes that was a quality game, and also Soccer 7 on the c64..

I mainly wonder how you get around the 'expected to move abroad at end of season' bug.

My game always crashed at the end of a season when one of my players moved abroad, so before I had to retire and create a new manager thereafter :(

That was Amiga though.

Where can you get a legal PC copy of that these days?

Probably nowhere! Other than a car boot or one of those types of sales.

I could suggest downloading it with eMule, but I'm not sure if it's still illegal to download such an old-ass game.

Archived