Closed Thread
Results 1 to 71 of 71

Thread: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd March 2008
    Location
    Worthing, UK
    Posts
    187

    Default Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Ok so I've had the game since launch day and although I like it and I'm cracking on through the seasons with a peculiar blend of pent-up frustration, furious anger, joyful delirium and utter disbelief (both positive and negative), there are some general things that a lot of people are complaining about, and I thought I'd give my ten pence on them. The complaints are in varying degrees of hysteria, and I've experienced some, if not all of the problems, and I'm torn between joining forces with the 'moaners' demanding answers for the problems, or the 'fanboys' denying anything is wrong and SI employees are welcome to a go on their daughter any day. That said, I think the following could be addressed in the second patch, to make a currently very good game (shhhh moaners, it is good) even better (shhhh fanboys, it can be improved):
    • Despite the transfer code being re-written (and by and large, it definately is infinitely better than previous versions), the developers got a bit dizzy on helium and blue smarties when it came to coding Man City, injected them with money and then forgot to inform the poor little Manc data accountant not to spend a quarter of a billion pounds a season, exclusively on breathtakingly average attacking midfielders.
    • 90% of transfer bids 'become public knowledge'; one can only assume a footballing agent is, contrary to popular belief, not well paid, and most agents moonlight for The Mirror.
    • All 22 on-pitch players appear to be trying the SoccerAM crossbar challenge with insatiable enthusiasm by shooting from a quarter of a mile away.
    • Speaking of, the frame of the goal seems to have some kind of magnet in it.
    • Keepers' agricultural 'through balls' cause Titus Bramble-esque qualities in the defence who stop and cry whilst the oppo striker walks it in.
    • 9 times out of 10 full backs are beaten like S&M fetishists by wingers with laughable dribbling stats such as 4.
    • Your assistant manager grew up next to a farm with three fields and an electric fence, and was presumably subject to a violent mugging or sexual crime between the fence and the middle field, thus explaining his obsession with playing a holding midfielder.
    • Players regularly partake in impromptu mini-games amongst themselves, such as the schoolyard classic 'Arse' wherby they line up and leather it at each other from 5 yards away for no discernible reason.
    • As we all know, Arsenal have won every trophy in every major tournament in every sport in the world, for the last 40 years, and this is reflected in their trophy cabinet after 2 years in-game.
    • Strikers who don't score a hat-trick get rated as 5.6.
    • Strikers in fact are incapable of the proverbial in a brothel, let alone, god forbid, kicking the round thing through the big rectangle.
    • England win all penalty shootouts. There's no need for a humourous comment here.
    • Serious injuries (ruptured colon, severed head, shattered pelvis etc) happen regularly; in many games all 3 subs are made by the 70-minute mark as your assistant manager makes hurried plans to visit your star striker's next of kin.
    • In fact, most pre-season run-ins are more emotionally expensive than the break-up of a long term relationship, as your team suffers greater losses than the Russian Army, circa 1939-45.
    • Playing 4411 is so experimental and philosophically world-changing that the fabric of reality is broken and 13 bearded, be-robed players take to the pitch for a feast of hobbit's bread and virgin's tears whilst daubing themselves with goats blood under two glowing red suns.

    All in all they're minor improvements I think, fairly easily tweaked. Chin up boys and girls whilst the developers sortitoutsi, and in the meantime we can all sleep soundly in the knowledge that its probably your tactics, but more importantly its definately only a game.

  2. #2
    International Star Player
    Join Date
    23rd August 2000
    Location
    ] Winner World Cup Prediction League 2010
    Posts
    40,936

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    *applause*

    Great piece

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th August 2008
    Location
    In a house in a street.
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    You should post more often!

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th November 2008
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Brilliant!

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th December 2007
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    That's about right .

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th July 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Great stuff mate, hahaha, enjoyed it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    3rd October 2007
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    10 pence? That was more like a pounds worth. Funny and class.

  8. #8
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    12th November 2004
    Location
    PSN: BURDENATOR85
    Posts
    935

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by brightonrock View Post
    [*]Players regularly partake in impromptu mini-games amongst themselves, such as the schoolyard classic 'Arse' wherby they line up and leather it at each other from 5 yards away for no discernible reason.

    Strikers in fact are incapable of the proverbial in a brothel, let alone, god forbid, kicking the round thing through the big rectangle.

    My personal favourites

  9. #9
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    6th October 2008
    Location
    The edge of a precapice.
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    seriously funny,but all too true! great work! do you have a book coming out soon?

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    17th May 2007
    Location
    In galaxy far, far away...
    Posts
    1,751

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Great review, mate. I liked your clever use of irony.

  11. #11
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2005
    Location
    Paisley
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    I really really really hate that word 'fanboy'

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th November 2006
    Location
    somewhere over.. eh near Munich
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    lmao damn I'm not gonna get rid of a big grin in the face for quite a while now I guess. I really enjoy that kind of sarcasm

  13. #13
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th November 2008
    Location
    Nelson, NZ
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Excellent post!

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd October 2007
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    *stands and starts slow hand clap*

  15. #15
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th June 2007
    Location
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    One of the funnier posts I've read on the forums - had quite a chuckle there. Good to know someone on here knows how to make serious points in a light hearted way. Or how to say intelligent things in stupid way.... or how to saying stupid things in an intelligent way....

    Good post.

  16. #16
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    9th February 2001
    Location
    Mr Toad! I can't...
    Posts
    1,396

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Well played brightonrock, excellent read. Unfortunately though i think it's too well written for people to argue against your points!

  17. #17
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th September 2004
    Location
    The Dark Side of the Toon
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Top post mate, a future in the media maybe. Its a bit of light relief from the two of points of view. I two find myself in a strange position too, desperately wanting to hate it for all its bugs (there seems to be far more than any previous version) however it is also the most addictive version for ages (even though im playing rubbish) just can't working it out, it must be the 3d pitch?

  18. #18
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th August 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Very funny. The tw which Bongo Bongo quoted made me laugh out loud (which isn't good considering it's half 11 and everyone else in the place is fast asleep!)

    Top, top post.

  19. #19
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th September 2008
    Posts
    599

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    We have a winner!

  20. #20
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd November 2007
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    'fanboys' denying anything is wrong and SI employees are welcome to a go on their daughter any day.

    That made me laugh, so true

  21. #21
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th October 2006
    Location
    Liège
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    haha good laugh, nice post

  22. #22
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    28th November 2008
    Location
    Saint-Emilion & London
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    In fact, most pre-season run-ins are more emotionally expensive than the break-up of a long term relationship, as your team suffers greater losses than the Russian Army, circa 1939-45.
    fall off me chair!

  23. #23
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    26th November 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,119

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by davestu View Post
    *stands and starts slow hand clap*
    *joins davestu*

  24. #24
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st September 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    hi 5 my boy/girl

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    17th November 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Great post and i agree with every point you make highlighting some truly awful bugs but like you I find myself far more addicted to this than I have any FM since the split.

  26. #26
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    21st November 2006
    Location
    Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Brilliant post

  27. #27
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Nose Bear View Post
    'fanboys' denying anything is wrong and SI employees are welcome to a go on their daughter any day.

    That made me laugh, so true
    There is no one on this forum (at least who posts regularly) who fits that description. Everyone I know who defends the game also admits that there are things that are wrong.

  28. #28
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th July 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Keepers' agricultural 'through balls' cause Titus Bramble-esque qualities in the defence who stop and cry whilst the oppo striker walks it in.
    This has been very frustrating for me, ive scored them and had them scored against me

  29. #29
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th July 2004
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Best post I've read in a long long time. Love it

  30. #30
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,013

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Here here!

  31. #31
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    29th October 2006
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,554

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    I don't agree with everything you say, but I have to give you TWO THUMBS UP. The best OP I've seen in a loooooong time.

  32. #32
    Amateur
    Join Date
    9th September 2008
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue Nose Bear
    'fanboys' denying anything is wrong and SI employees are welcome to a go on their daughter any day.
    That made me laugh, so true

    There is no one on this forum (at least who posts regularly) who fits that description. Everyone I know who defends the game also admits that there are things that are wrong.

    But he doesn't deny they'll "let them have a go ..."

  33. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    19th March 2007
    Location
    NYC US and A
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintjonny View Post
    I really really really hate that word 'fanboy'
    I would suggest that some people have the same reaction to the phrase "It's your tactics". BTW, its "fanboi".

  34. #34
    Subs Bench
    Join Date
    3rd March 2007
    Location
    On Twitter, apparently; @tomtuck01
    Posts
    20,611

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.
    Last edited by tomtuck01; 04-12-2008 at 04:37.

  35. #35
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd August 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    818

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by brightonrock View Post


    Keepers' agricultural 'through balls' cause Titus Bramble-esque qualities in the defence who stop and cry whilst the oppo striker walks it in.

    9 times out of 10 full backs are beaten like S&M fetishists by wingers with laughable dribbling stats such as 4.
    These ones I know best. A striker with acceleration of 6 will out run any defender

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtuck01 View Post
    Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.
    Fanboy anyone?
    Last edited by ndebergerac; 04-12-2008 at 04:56.

  36. #36
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    9th February 2001
    Location
    Mr Toad! I can't...
    Posts
    1,396

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtuck01 View Post
    Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.
    Erm ok. Sorry brightonrock, looks like this thread will have to be closed for committing the sin of being 'amusing' and not containing 'constructive criticism'.

    Please refrain from using humour in any future discussions. Thanks.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtuck01 View Post
    Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.
    its your tactics

  38. #38
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th October 2006
    Location
    Liège
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    nvm sorry :I

  39. #39
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by ndebergerac View Post
    Fanboy anyone?
    Well, no. He doesn't give an opinion on Football Manager or SI one way or the other in the post you're quoting.

    Quote Originally Posted by small Mac View Post
    Erm ok. Sorry brightonrock, looks like this thread will have to be closed for committing the sin of being 'amusing' and not containing 'constructive criticism'.

    Please refrain from using humour in any future discussions. Thanks.
    He wasn't criticising the use of humour. He was just pointing out that all this praise for the OP is overblown when you consider there is nothing of substance in his post. I would say that all the humour and the quality of expression can't hide that lack of substance, but from the way most people have reacted, it would seem it does.

  40. #40
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    It was a good post and people reacted positively to it and had a laugh.

    Why do you feel the need to spoil things, if that's how you feel, just don't post, go and discuss tactics or something.

    And people wonder why the term 'fanboy' came about...

  41. #41
    Moderator
    Join Date
    20th November 2004
    Location
    Crawley Town Researcher (don't judge)
    Posts
    10,151

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by brightonrock View Post
    Ok so I've had the game since launch day and although I like it and I'm cracking on through the seasons with a peculiar blend of pent-up frustration, furious anger, joyful delirium and utter disbelief (both positive and negative), there are some general things that a lot of people are complaining about, and I thought I'd give my ten pence on them. The complaints are in varying degrees of hysteria, and I've experienced some, if not all of the problems, and I'm torn between joining forces with the 'moaners' demanding answers for the problems, or the 'fanboys' denying anything is wrong and SI employees are welcome to a go on their daughter any day. That said, I think the following could be addressed in the second patch, to make a currently very good game (shhhh moaners, it is good) even better (shhhh fanboys, it can be improved):
    • Despite the transfer code being re-written (and by and large, it definately is infinitely better than previous versions), the developers got a bit dizzy on helium and blue smarties when it came to coding Man City, injected them with money and then forgot to inform the poor little Manc data accountant not to spend a quarter of a billion pounds a season, exclusively on breathtakingly average attacking midfielders.
    • 90% of transfer bids 'become public knowledge'; one can only assume a footballing agent is, contrary to popular belief, not well paid, and most agents moonlight for The Mirror.
    • All 22 on-pitch players appear to be trying the SoccerAM crossbar challenge with insatiable enthusiasm by shooting from a quarter of a mile away.
    • Speaking of, the frame of the goal seems to have some kind of magnet in it.
    • Keepers' agricultural 'through balls' cause Titus Bramble-esque qualities in the defence who stop and cry whilst the oppo striker walks it in.
    • 9 times out of 10 full backs are beaten like S&M fetishists by wingers with laughable dribbling stats such as 4.
    • Your assistant manager grew up next to a farm with three fields and an electric fence, and was presumably subject to a violent mugging or sexual crime between the fence and the middle field, thus explaining his obsession with playing a holding midfielder.
    • Players regularly partake in impromptu mini-games amongst themselves, such as the schoolyard classic 'Arse' wherby they line up and leather it at each other from 5 yards away for no discernible reason.
    • As we all know, Arsenal have won every trophy in every major tournament in every sport in the world, for the last 40 years, and this is reflected in their trophy cabinet after 2 years in-game.
    • Strikers who don't score a hat-trick get rated as 5.6.
    • Strikers in fact are incapable of the proverbial in a brothel, let alone, god forbid, kicking the round thing through the big rectangle.
    • England win all penalty shootouts. There's no need for a humourous comment here.
    • Serious injuries (ruptured colon, severed head, shattered pelvis etc) happen regularly; in many games all 3 subs are made by the 70-minute mark as your assistant manager makes hurried plans to visit your star striker's next of kin.
    • In fact, most pre-season run-ins are more emotionally expensive than the break-up of a long term relationship, as your team suffers greater losses than the Russian Army, circa 1939-45.
    • Playing 4411 is so experimental and philosophically world-changing that the fabric of reality is broken and 13 bearded, be-robed players take to the pitch for a feast of hobbit's bread and virgin's tears whilst daubing themselves with goats blood under two glowing red suns.

    All in all they're minor improvements I think, fairly easily tweaked. Chin up boys and girls whilst the developers sortitoutsi, and in the meantime we can all sleep soundly in the knowledge that its probably your tactics, but more importantly its definately only a game.
    I enjoyed your post. As others have pointed out, these issues have all been raised before, although I think (most of us) can appreciate the humour of your posts. Your comment about England penalty shootouts aside (it's just a matter of luck really, you can't say the England players have never had any of the required attributes to win a shootout), I think it's a decent list of some of the nuances of FM09 which could be improved.

  42. #42
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    It was a good post and people reacted positively to it and had a laugh.

    Why do you feel the need to spoil things, if that's how you feel, just don't post, go and discuss tactics or something.

    And people wonder why the term 'fanboy' came about...
    That is absolute nonsense. So people who disagree with the original post should just go away and not post? Ridiculous. Have you ever had a debate in your life?

    I personally thought it was a well put together post, but it didn't say anything we haven't heard before. I'd go along with what GillsMan says above.

    I fail to see why disagreeing with the post is 'spoiling things'. It actually makes you sound rather immature to say that.

    And as for the term 'fanboy', I reiterate. None of the people I've seen post regularly are fanboys. We all criticise the game. Just because we disagree with the OP doesn't make us 'fanboys'. Please stop using that ludicrous term.

  43. #43
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th November 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    Well, no. He doesn't give an opinion on Football Manager or SI one way or the other in the post you're quoting.



    He wasn't criticising the use of humour. He was just pointing out that all this praise for the OP is overblown when you consider there is nothing of substance in his post. I would say that all the humour and the quality of expression can't hide that lack of substance, but from the way most people have reacted, it would seem it does.
    do you let si have a go on your daughter?

  44. #44
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by zulu83 View Post
    do you let si have a go on your daughter?
    Firstly, you're going to have to show me where I said I never criticise them. I mean, I'm pretty sure I pointed out the opposite.

  45. #45
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    That is absolute nonsense. So people who disagree with the original post should just go away and not post? Ridiculous. Have you ever had a debate in your life?

    I personally thought it was a well put together post, but it didn't say anything we haven't heard before. I'd go along with what GillsMan says above.

    I fail to see why disagreeing with the post is 'spoiling things'. It actually makes you sound rather immature to say that.

    And as for the term 'fanboy', I reiterate. None of the people I've seen post regularly are fanboys. We all criticise the game. Just because we disagree with the OP doesn't make us 'fanboys'. Please stop using that ludicrous term.
    ‘Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?’

    Personally I feel that if this is all you have to say, then don’t bother. It’s hardly constructive is it... And neither is debating with you over what was I think just meant to be a light hearted bit of fun.

  46. #46
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    ‘Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?’

    Personally I feel that if this is all you have to say, then don’t bother. It’s hardly constructive is it... And neither is debating with you over what was I think just meant to be a light hearted bit of fun.
    It wasn't the best choice of sentence, but it wasn't all he said. It's pretty unfair to just pick that bit out and only quote it. The rest of what he said was a constructive criticism of the opening post.

    I shouldn't be surprised by all this. It's pretty much what happens when you disagree with people on this forum.

  47. #47
    Amateur
    Join Date
    28th November 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    Firstly, you're going to have to show me where I said I never criticise them. I mean, I'm pretty sure I pointed out the opposite.
    you never answered my question

  48. #48
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2007
    Location
    The bright centre of the universe
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    OP - The lack of criticism must mean that you've nailed it. Great post sire. Where have you been hiding? The forums should be more like this in my opinion.

  49. #49
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by zulu83 View Post
    you never answered my question
    Well, I assume you're trying to claim that I must be a 'fanboy'. This is a ludicrous claim as I criticise their game constructively on a regular basis.

    As I am not a 'fanboy', if I had a daughter I would not let them do that.

    Enjoy your infraction.

  50. #50
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttface View Post
    OP - The lack of criticism must mean that you've nailed it. Great post sire. Where have you been hiding? The forums should be more like this in my opinion.
    Are you blind? Look at the response to anyone who perfectly reasonably disagrees with the OP. Typical General Discussion crap, really. Not the opening post, just the way some people react to those who disagree.

  51. #51
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2007
    Location
    The bright centre of the universe
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtuck01 View Post
    Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.
    'Head' and 'arse' and 'own' come to mind... Lighten up. The post was informative and it did offer opinion (and humour) regarding some of the issues in the game. I didn't realise people had to pass the 'totally original points' test to be allowed to post on the forums. There is nothing wrong with a light-hearted post that reiterates some points already discussed. View it as a simple summary.

  52. #52
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    It wasn't the best choice of sentence, but it wasn't all he said. It's pretty unfair to just pick that bit out and only quote it. The rest of what he said was a constructive criticism of the opening post.

    I shouldn't be surprised by all this. It's pretty much what happens when you disagree with people on this forum.
    Not to be seen to be unfair:

    ‘Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.’


    I’ll give you the middle paragraph.

    I suppose the negativity being sent your way is because most people feel it was unnecessary to criticise a post such as this. It was just, like I’ve said before, a bit of light hearted fun supposed to be amusing.

  53. #53
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    Not to be seen to be unfair:

    ‘Has the bumming of brightonrock finished now?

    He has not told us anything we didn't already know, and has merely posted in an amusing way. He is not really offering anything in regards to construtive criticism.

    I'll go back to reading the few threads in GQ that actually offer an opinion or some insight, and not just something amusingly written.’


    I’ll give you the middle paragraph.

    I suppose the negativity being sent your way is because most people feel it was unnecessary to criticise a post such as this. It was just, like I’ve said before, a bit of light hearted fun supposed to be amusing.

    It doesn't matter if it's the best post since sliced bread. Anyone should be allowed to disagree with anyone on anything. Nobody should then have to put up with being asked ridiculous things about their daughter or being accused of being a fanboy.

  54. #54
    Third Team
    Join Date
    5th November 2007
    Posts
    7,335

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by zulu83 View Post
    do you let si have a go on your daughter?
    I don't find that particularly amusing, in much the same way that I didn't find the OP particularly amusing. I agree with some of the points re problems with the game, but funny it is not.

  55. #55
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2007
    Location
    The bright centre of the universe
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomis07 View Post
    I don't find that particularly amusing, in much the same way that I didn't find the OP particularly amusing. I agree with some of the points re problems with the game, but funny it is not.
    I actually can't believe that you have posted this. People, lighten up. There is a definite air of arrogance coming across here. The OP was light-hearted (funny to some) and not meant to be a dissertation on FM 2009. The forums should not simply be about experienced posters stating whether or not other people's contributions are valid. Admittedly, the usual 'fanboi' comments are tiresome but in this instance, not the fault of the OP. I'm sure it was meant to be a bit of fun, that is all. Fun is still valid on these forums...?

  56. #56
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd November 2008
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Brilliant post!

    And also a great name, brightonrock

  57. #57
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    20th August 2002
    Location
    Hither and thither
    Posts
    3,311

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Oh I see. I post a list of problems and I'm trolling. Many other people post a list of problems and they get told to post them individually in the bugs forum, if they aren't berated entirely for daring to critique. This guy posts a list of problems whilst ripping off Blackadder similes wholesale and it's lauded as the finest piece of writing since the dawn of time.

    Nothing like consistency is there. Must be the rain getting in your brains.

  58. #58
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,730

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    It's not really a general question is it, would probably sit better in the OTF Football Manager thread.

  59. #59
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttface View Post
    I actually can't believe that you have posted this. People, lighten up. There is a definite air of arrogance coming across here. The OP was light-hearted (funny to some) and not meant to be a dissertation on FM 2009. The forums should not simply be about experienced posters stating whether or not other people's contributions are valid. Admittedly, the usual 'fanboi' comments are tiresome but in this instance, not the fault of the OP. I'm sure it was meant to be a bit of fun, that is all. Fun is still valid on these forums...?
    Of course it is. But if we happen to dsiagree with a post, whether it be for its nature or quality or whatever, we should be allowed to say so without getting abused. Any arrogance descends from those who refuse to let anything be heard other than what they happen to think.

    Both myself and Nomis stated things we thought were positive about the post. Doesn't mean we should be barred from pointing out things we don't think are good about it.

  60. #60
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's the best post since sliced bread. Anyone should be allowed to disagree with anyone on anything. Nobody should then have to put up with being asked ridiculous things about their daughter or being accused of being a fanboy.
    I agree, the comments about daughters is out of order. As was the comment about bumming.

    And I also agree that the forums are for debate.

    However, it would have been nice to leave this thread as it was intended, instead of turning it into this, that was my original point of saying why spoil it, which was primarily aimed at the bumming comment, and to a lesser extent your comment about lack of substance to the OP.

  61. #61
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2007
    Location
    The bright centre of the universe
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
    Oh I see. I post a list of problems and I'm trolling. Many other people post a list of problems and they get told to post them individually in the bugs forum, if they aren't berated entirely for daring to critique. This guy posts a list of problems whilst ripping off Blackadder similes wholesale and it's lauded as the finest piece of writing since the dawn of time.

    Nothing like consistency is there. Must be the rain getting in your brains.
    Are you looking for sympathy? I still love you. I think people just appreciated some of the humour in the OP, that is all. Not to everyone's taste, but just a light-hearted thread all the same. Amazing reactions from some of the 1000+ posters, good to see you all fired-up!

  62. #62
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
    Oh I see. I post a list of problems and I'm trolling. Many other people post a list of problems and they get told to post them individually in the bugs forum, if they aren't berated entirely for daring to critique. This guy posts a list of problems whilst ripping off Blackadder similes wholesale and it's lauded as the finest piece of writing since the dawn of time.

    Nothing like consistency is there. Must be the rain getting in your brains.

    The magic ingredient to getting away with it is attempted humour, apparently.

  63. #63
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    I agree, the comments about daughters is out of order. As was the comment about bumming.

    And I also agree that the forums are for debate.

    However, it would have been nice to leave this thread as it was intended, instead of turning it into this, that was my original point of saying why spoil it, which was primarily aimed at the bumming comment, and to a lesser extent your comment about lack of substance to the OP.
    I, myself, did not turn it into anything. I just posted my thoughts on the OP, and one other post. It didn't have to turn into this just because I did that.

  64. #64
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Dare I say there is a 'lots of posts' having a go at 'not many posts' going in here...

  65. #65
    Third Team
    Join Date
    5th November 2007
    Posts
    7,335

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttface View Post
    I actually can't believe that you have posted this. People, lighten up. There is a definite air of arrogance coming across here. The OP was light-hearted (funny to some) and not meant to be a dissertation on FM 2009. The forums should not simply be about experienced posters stating whether or not other people's contributions are valid. Admittedly, the usual 'fanboi' comments are tiresome but in this instance, not the fault of the OP. I'm sure it was meant to be a bit of fun, that is all. Fun is still valid on these forums...?
    Perhaps you could point out where I said the OP wasn't making a valid point. If you read my post, all I said was that I didn't find it funny, but I did agree with some of his points.

    It's quite funny actually, that you obviously haven't read my post and have dismissed it as invalid, yet have the nerve to pontificate about arrogance and peoples views being valid whether you disagree or not.

  66. #66
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttface View Post
    Are you looking for sympathy? I still love you. I think people just appreciated some of the humour in the OP, that is all. Not to everyone's taste, but just a light-hearted thread all the same. Amazing reactions from some of the 1000+ posters, good to see you all fired-up!
    VonBlade was well within his rights to point out the inconsistency on display here.

  67. #67
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,730

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

  68. #68
    Third Team
    Join Date
    5th November 2007
    Posts
    7,335

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    Dare I say there is a 'lots of posts' having a go at 'not many posts' going in here...
    It looks like that will continue if people such as yourself continue to post utter pap.

  69. #69
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th October 2007
    Location
    The bright centre of the universe
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    The magic ingredient to getting away with it is attempted humour, apparently.
    Mike7077, have you had your coffee this morning Mr. Grumpy-pants? I agree with debate on the threads, but having a pop at the OP because it is not to your own humour tastes is a little harsh. As are the daughter/ bumming/ fanboi etc comments.

    God this thread has got serious. C'mon guys, lets sing a song...

  70. #70
    Moderator
    Join Date
    20th November 2004
    Location
    Crawley Town Researcher (don't judge)
    Posts
    10,151

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Right, seeing as this has descended into petty arguing I think I'll close this. I think the main reason I enjoyed this post is it was just a bit different from all the other posts I've been reading recently. The substance was the same, but the presentation was a little different.

  71. #71
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Moaners v Fanboys...my 10 pence...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    Dare I say there is a 'lots of posts' having a go at 'not many posts' going in here...
    It happens to be 'not many posts' who have launched an attack on myself for daring to go against the grain of the thread. I have had plenty of decent discussion with people with post counts of all different shapes and sizes! I don't consider post count important, personally.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts