Dutch Eredivisie European Playoffs

I've been managing in Holland for three seasons now, but still haven't really got my head around the playoff format.

I've read up on it at wikipedia and eurosport, but FM just doesn't seem to fit into the descriptions, so I can only assume that you've got the playoff system all wrong.

For instance, last season, Feyenoord finished third, yet did not quality for Europe at all, no champs league, uefa cup, not even the intertoto cup.

The league table looked like this:

PSD (champs league)

AJAX (champs league)

Feyenoord

FC Twente (Euro Cup)

Vitesse (Euro Cup)

MVV (Intertoto Cup)

NAC Breda

AZ

I think the main problem could be that in real life Holland seem to be given 3 Uefa Cup places, where as in FM they're only getting two, but it's very annoying to have strange teams qualifying (or not qualifying in Feyenoords case) for Europe each season.

I understand that the playoff system makes it so that just because you finish above another team, doesn't guarentee you european football, but in real life, all the teams placed 2-5 are guarenteed uefa cup, so really it should be that way in FM.

Originally posted by Darth Rob:

For instance, last season, Feyenoord finished third, yet did not quality for Europe at all, no champs league, uefa cup, not even the intertoto cup.

The league table looked like this:

The league table really does not matter anymore for qualification for the European Tournaments, it only guarantees in which play-off schedule you play, and against who the matches are.

As Feyenoord finished 3rd, according to your table, it would play in match B (see Wikipedia schedule . If Feyenoord lost that contest, and Holland only has 2 UEFA Cup places left, it will not receive a UEFA Cup place.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone from SI confirm that the European Places playoff for the Eredivisie is correctly implemented?

In my game, the winners from match A and B do not face off each other for the second Champs League place. One of the winners just gets the place. There are only 4 first round ties, 3 second round ties and 1 third round tie -- too few match-ups if you are to properly follow the correct rules.

I am surprised that no one has yet discovered that FM does not accurately simulate the Dutch Eredivisie.

• 1 month later...

It's a poorly implemented system. Holland recieves 2 CL spots and 4 UEFA Cup spots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients#League_coefficient

So this image is correct:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Play_off_system_eredivisie.png - That is the basic system it should follow - the FM system baffles me somewhat with unclear naming of the rounds and no idea what I will qualify for next year.

If the team in the top 5 wins the KNVB Cup then the team from 10 to 13 should playoff for the Intertoto Cup spot while 6-9 playoff for a UEFA Cup spot.

It's really quite simple.

They will start off with the correct CL and Uefa cup spots, but as you go further into your game, Hollands coefficiant will change due to their teams performances in the competitions, so their placings may change.

The problem you are getting is more to do with the fact that Holland have such a mind-boggling stupid european qulaification system!

Originally posted by abdulqadir:

The playoffs have been abolished so you won't have to worry for much longer icon_smile.gif

'Tis a shame - I like it as a system - means more teams have more to play for towards the end of the season and stops a complete monopoly as we have in England of the CL spots, but that's for another day - nothing to do with FM.

Just to clarify, I wasn't here to have a go, just to bring it to SI's attention. icon14.gif

Archived