Closed Thread

Thread: Regen's - Pre-Programmed or Random?

First Team

It's come to light that, Regenerated players are far from random, as we are led to believe. In my understanding, a regen gets "born" at random on the opening day of each new season (19th June for N. Ireland), with randomly picked PA/CA determined on National Rep, and a Random name pulled from a hat of names belonging to that nation. (I.E - England may see a lot of Smiths, Browns, Johns and Steves)

But currently, I have to argue this.

I'm currently playing Gundo's Challenge, I'm sure you know what its about, and there a few of us managing in N. Ireland. One user on the thread had a phenomenal forward named Ben Kenney, who was english. (Born 1994).

Many years into my game, I signed a young promising striker, english, named Ben Kenney. Being English and with the same name i thought coincidental. Until I noticed the actual D.O.B

Ben Kenney 1 - D.O.B = 21.2.1994
    Ben Kenney 2 - D.O.B = 21.2.2003

Amazing. I thought, what a massive coincidence, left it there, and thought nothing more of it. Until today.

It turns out, ANOTHER user has ANOTHER Ben Kenney with the D.O.B @ 21.2.1993

They are all "Regens". They are all different save games. But they are all the very same player.

This leads me to believe, how random are the "random" regens?

How many others on this forum have a Ben Kenney of their own born on the 21st of Feb in any particular year,

and how long are SI going to pull the wool over our eyes on this matter?

Ben Kenney 1 (Belonging to Annihilator)
    Ben Kenney 2 (Belonging to bnek)
    Ben Kenney 3 (Belonging to NepentheZ

Coincidence? I think not.

First Team

It's come to light that, Regenerated players are far from random, as we are led to believe. In my understanding, a regen gets "born" at random on the opening day of each new season (19th June for N. Ireland), with randomly picked PA/CA determined on National Rep, and a Random name pulled from a hat of names belonging to that nation. (I.E - England may see a lot of Smiths, Browns, Johns and Steves)

But currently, I have to argue this.

I'm currently playing Gundo's Challenge, I'm sure you know what its about, and there a few of us managing in N. Ireland. One user on the thread had a phenomenal forward named Ben Kenney, who was english. (Born 1994).

Many years into my game, I signed a young promising striker, english, named Ben Kenney. Being English and with the same name i thought coincidental. Until I noticed the actual D.O.B

Ben Kenney 1 - D.O.B = 21.2.1994
    Ben Kenney 2 - D.O.B = 21.2.2003

Amazing. I thought, what a massive coincidence, left it there, and thought nothing more of it. Until today.

It turns out, ANOTHER user has ANOTHER Ben Kenney with the D.O.B @ 21.2.1993

They are all "Regens". They are all different save games. But they are all the very same player.

This leads me to believe, how random are the "random" regens?

How many others on this forum have a Ben Kenney of their own born on the 21st of Feb in any particular year,

and how long are SI going to pull the wool over our eyes on this matter?

Ben Kenney 1 (Belonging to Annihilator)
    Ben Kenney 2 (Belonging to bnek)
    Ben Kenney 3 (Belonging to NepentheZ

Coincidence? I think not.

First Team

Youth Team

bah! not in my game, i feel left out now!
    on a serious note, its an interesting point, will be interesting to note just how many Ben Kenney's there are out there...

Amateur

Very Interesting. Never actually noticed it myself but maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I'll have a look in my current game for any Ben Kennedys.

Third Team

I personally think Ben Kenney will appear on anyones game so long as it is a long-term career game. I'm in 2024 and he's 23 IIRC. I reckon you must be 10+ seasons.

Amateur

Does it matter a whole heap as long as the positon he gets "generated", his stats and his ca/pa are all random?

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:
    I personally think Ben Kenney will appear on anyones game so long as it is a long-term career game. I'm in 2024 and he's 23 IIRC. I reckon you must be 10+ seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Annihilators Ben Kenney was borin in 1994, meaning it would be around the 2010 mark when he was introduced into that save game.

iacovone, also D.O.B @ 21.2, and also an attacking player.

Reserves

Interesting but it doesn't really prove anything. The 4th one doesn't count either as his DOB is different, so thats very easily coincidental. The other three are suspect. It still maybe a coincidence though. Maybe its a problem with DOB not being entirely random?

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:
    Interesting but it doesn't really prove anything. The 4th one doesn't count either as his DOB is different, so thats very easily coincidental. The other three are suspect. It still maybe a coincidence though. Maybe its a problem with DOB not being entirely random? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not different. You must have looked at the contract expiry date. 21.2.2003 for the 4th.

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:
    Another Ben Kenney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

- At least he a little different.

Semi Pro

I found one on my game too, 21/2/91

He's rotting in Warrington reserves and a goalie...

Third Team

Screenshot?

Semi Pro

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grecian_03:
    I found one on my game too, 21/2/91

He's rotting in Warrington reserves and a goalie... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    please upload a screenie!!!!

First Team Squad Member

Probably the random function used within FM uses the in-game date as a seed... nothing wrong with that, imo.

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:
    Interesting but it doesn't really prove anything. The 4th one doesn't count either as his DOB is different, so thats very easily coincidental. The other three are suspect. It still maybe a coincidence though. Maybe its a problem with DOB not being entirely random? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not different. You must have looked at the contract expiry date. 21.2.2003 for the 4th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, my bad. Was looking at the wrong date

You're onto something here. The next step is to choose another regen at random and see if the same pattern occurs. I too have a Ben Kenney bvorn on the same date.

First Team Squad Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by masteR+_+:
    Probably the random function used within FM uses the in-game date as a seed... nothing wrong with that, imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean, regarding player names that is.

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

It's not different. You must have looked at the contract expiry date. 21.2.2003 for the 4th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, my bad. Was looking at the wrong date

You're onto something here. The next step is to choose another regen at random and see if the same pattern occurs. I too have a Ben Kenney bvorn on the same date. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to upload a screenshot?

Semi Pro

So anyone care to pick another random regen?

First Team

Maybe you can all try...

"Paul Wallace" - B.O.B - 13.4.1992

Third Team

Not on mine Nep, but I am in Croatia so could be that

Ex-SI
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Ben Kenney is a tester at SI
    There are a few testers that are regenerated in the game depending on which leagues you have running, in total there about 15 or so
    The testers were asked if they wanted to be in the game as possible future regens and their details were taken. Among the details were name, D.O.B, nationality, favourite team.
    If you look at all the Ben Kenneys in the game you should find his favourite team is Tottenham
    All other newgens are generated differently is different games

Semi Pro

Ah, thanks for the explanation

Amateur

What about their abilities? There's one more guy who appears in various games, with a rather complicated asian name - his initials are S.S. and he always turns out to be one of the best players in the world. Ben Kenney also seems to be a minor star in the game.

First Team Squad Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:
    Ben Kenney is a tester at SI
    There are a few testers that are regenerated in the game depending on which leagues you have running, in total there about 15 or so
    The testers were asked if they wanted to be in the game as possible future regens and their details were taken. Among the details were name, D.O.B, nationality, favourite team.
    If you look at all the Ben Kenneys in the game you should find his favourite team is Tottenham
    All other newgens are generated differently is different games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An improved "face in the game" then.

Reserves

Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to think of a possible reason that this would happen

Ex-SI

if you look in the credits there should be a few people from the SI Testing team that are in various games
    I'd advise you to sign me but it seems everytime i'm generated im a crap reserve goalkeeper

search for Gordon Dunbar, my favourite team will be Rangers

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:
    if you look in the credits there should be a few people from the SI Testing team that are in various games
    I'd advise you to sign me but it seems everytime i'm generated im a crap reserve goalkeeper

search for Gordon Dunbar, my favourite team will be Rangers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I guess that explains everything. Amazing how Ben Kenney finds his way into a lot of User controlled teams.!

Also, Gudge, as your here, what is the file I can amend to make myself one of these future regens? Cheers.

First Team

There's no Gordon Dunbar in my game yet. I will search for you every season.

Ever thought about getting a thread made up where people can detail the career of you guys?

Third Team

Found you except your a crap centreback in my save. No offense Gudge.

First Team

LOL @ Ben Kenney ave team =Spuds, Olly Kenney = Arsenal.

Must have been fun in that household as kids.!

Amateur

cool, on fm07 I had a regen called James Michael (cm) who was brilliant, then started again and low and behold another regen called James Michael appeared this time a CF and also brilliant.

That explains it I guess

Semi Pro

A bit better than a crap reserve goalie in my game.

First Team

I honestly think we need a thread dedicated to this

Gordon, you look good for B'burn there.!

Do you happen to know all of the SI Members that signed up for this? I would search for all of them, but some may not have been created yet, and you be buggered if i'm searching 300 people a season

First Team

No Fecking way.!

Something just bought a smile to my face.

One of the Testers in the game "Tom Laskowski" was with me at Knockbreda from 2015/16 - 2021/22, when I went on to sell him for £275,000 to Reading.!

Sports Interactive Simon Tipple's Avatar

I have yet to see a decent Simon Tipple. So if I'm a world class striker in anyone's game I'd love too see it.

Ex-SI

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, Gudge, as your here, what is the file I can amend to make myself one of these future regens? Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, there isn't a file that can be edited

Third Team

Seems like you're quite good on my game Gudge. As a Centre Back and playing for Rangers, you've had a mighty fine career!

First Team

Ok, last one for now, i promise.

In my game, "Luke Warrington" the test, plays for......Warrington

You couldn't make this up.!

Screenie to come later.

Gudge, thanks for the response. Thats a shame, i remember there being something in FM06 or 07 that you could edit. Nevermind.

Semi Pro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, Gudge, as your here, what is the file I can amend to make myself one of these future regens? Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, there isn't a file that can be edited </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame, would be a nice idea like the future chairman.

Ex-SI

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Seems like you're quite good on my game Gudge. As a Centre Back and playing for Rangers, you've had a mighty fine career! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAS, a dream come true. I've also been capped for The Motherland

Must have been fun in that household as kids.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was until the other week

Third Team

Gudge is the only one I've found in my save.

Third Team

Sorry for double post but your brother not Barry is it Gudge?

There better be a good Ed Lambert out there, in my game I'm rubbish and retired

Ex-SI

Must have been fun in that household as kids.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olly is full of bitterness that Ben is Batman to his Penguin

Part-timer
    I\'ll tell you what, this crack is really more-ish.

You used to be able to sign Duffy and Marc Vaughn, and a load of the staff.

Semi Pro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Si BHA:
    I have yet to see a decent Simon Tipple. So if I'm a world class striker in anyone's game I'd love too see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tipple. Not exactly world class, but decent.
    (entire career at Birmingham)

Third Team

Good news Ed, you're pretty good on my game. But at the very end of your career, screenie to follow

Semi Pro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Kenney

Another Ben Kenney. Plays Bass for Incubus! Better regen than all the ones listed tbh.

Third Team

Ed Lambert

Reckon you were quite a player back in the day. I've been advised not to sign you though

Cheers can I have a screenshot of my history page as well please

Amateur

I had you and Ben Keneny in my team at the same time.

You were a black left-back...

Third Team

Third Team

Just thought I'd add:
    Ben Kenny #8

And yes, favoured clubs includes Tottenham.

Third Team

Are we sure of that?

There was in FM'05, you could use the EDT/DDT system to create future regens. I'd be a bit surprised if they hard-coded you guys instead of using that system..

Chelsea

Amateur

I remember in older version of cm/fm Marc Vaughan was in the game as a scout?

Third Team

Heh. I saw him take over as a manager in the Conference 5-10 years into a save.

Sports Interactive Simon Tipple's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Si BHA:
    I have yet to see a decent Simon Tipple. So if I'm a world class striker in anyone's game I'd love too see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(entire career at Birmingham) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not bad not bad! Hopefully finish my career at Brighton!

Third Team

Not bad not bad! Hopefully finish my career at Brighton! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Entire Career at Birmingham

Amateur

I remenber those days, and when you asked a player report they would come up with funny things, like one of th SI guys asked not to play cause he might mess up, or another asked to put his wife name on the back of the jersey, or the massive size of another that woul block all the of the Goal.

Very good time man.

First Team

i've got 20 of you in my game currently

Semi Pro

Fantastic thread.

I've got all of the testers mentioned above in my game.

They're all useless by the way with little more than 2 stars for potential

Amateur

This was on the old ones too.

Judricel Soreiu
    Noppol Patchwongsakada

etc.

I think they were researchers but I may be wrong..

Amateur
    If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will

Third Team

I have Oily Kenney playing for Chelmsford and i have a Scott Harwood who's a facegen scout for Bournemouth.

Incidently Kenney is pretty crap even in Blue Square Premier. In his 6 year career as a striker he has scored 2 goals.

Amateur

I have ben kenney in my kettering researves at the moment, out on loan.

Harwood, im afraid to say that you are coaching barrow and to be honest you aint setting the world alight.

First Team Regular

um, there is.

create an edt file, and put the following in:

"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "" "Surname" "dd.mm.yyyy" "Nation" "Favourite Team"

you can use the name of the country and favourite team, or you can use the unique id which can be found by starting a game and turning unique ids on, or by looking in the editor

then put the file you've created in the edt folder of the game database you're using

this thread should explain a little more, and has future regen name packs that can be downloaded

Part-Timer
    Airdrie, Scotland. The only place in the world where you get 4 seasons in one day :D

i am also another in the Gundo's challenge who stumbled across Ben Kenney, playing as a RB for Bolton. same DOB as NepentheZ and the others

Part-Timer
    Airdrie, Scotland. The only place in the world where you get 4 seasons in one day :D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdL:
    There better be a good Ed Lambert out there, in my game I'm rubbish and retired </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have good potential in mine my scouts reckon you would be a good signing, and aren't far off having required potential to be better than my best strker You have been in the game 3 seasons now, and have been at Newcastle for the 3 years. Edward Lambert

Mark Linnane, John Schofield and Philip Rolfe are also in mine along with Ben Kenney, Glenn Wakeford, Simon Tipple, James Chuter

SI have 2 keepers, 3 strikers, a right back, a right mid, attacking mid.

First Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McNeil:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdL:
    There better be a good Ed Lambert out there, in my game I'm rubbish and retired </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have good potential in mine my scouts reckon you would be a good signing, and aren't far off having required potential to be better than my best strker You have been in the game 3 seasons now, and have been at Newcastle for the 3 years. Edward Lambert

Mark Linnane, John Schofield and Philip Rolfe are also in mine along with Ben Kenney, Glenn Wakeford, Simon Tipple, James Chuter

SI have 2 keepers, 3 strikers, a right back, a right mid, attacking mid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed Lambert in my game is playing for Pompey, 15 U-21 Caps for england, been at pompey his whole career too, suprizing. Hes 29 now....

Any SI Staff that would like there Screenies of the players up, just let me know

(By the way, so far i have found 24 of you.)

Amateur

One more Ben Kenney born 21.02.1993
    at Aston Villa, tottenham as one favoured clubs
    Born In Alvechurch
    postion MC/FC
    Black.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barockhamster:
    One more Ben Kenney born 21.02.1993
    at Aston Villa, tottenham as one favoured clubs
    Born In Alvechurch
    postion MC/FC
    Black. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

colour is random with the players, we know that already mate CoachFlu's was also black while alot of the others were white, im guessing its only the stats taken off the SI guys that is set in stone.

Third Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:
    um, there is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I knew it!

Thanks for posting the instructions, KRS - I couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

Part-Timer

you're an Unsigned center back on my game, you suck aswell :O

Amateur

:O tempted to make a team with the s.i team in it hehe lol

Closed Thread