Lack of Harmony at the club

I'm currently just about to start the second season in charge of FC Moscow (I started unemployed and they were the first offer I got). Anyway, I've been in charge about 5 months and 4 of my players are complaining of a lack of harmony at the club. There's always been one or two players moaning, and I have no idea what to do to change it/improve it.

Can anyone help?

I'm currently just about to start the second season in charge of FC Moscow (I started unemployed and they were the first offer I got). Anyway, I've been in charge about 5 months and 4 of my players are complaining of a lack of harmony at the club. There's always been one or two players moaning, and I have no idea what to do to change it/improve it.

Can anyone help?

this is biggest issue in fm 09 success. harmony is more important than anything else in game in my mind. with good harmony you win even with crap tactic it so important. without it you lose even with good tactic or have no consistent run.

it really very very important to success.

best way to get good harmony I find is have smaller 1st team and do not change player roles middle of season. if player gets really bad get rid of them very fast. I usually free transfer 5-6 players every january and find bringing in new faces really picks up squad morale and when they play a few games improve harmony.

trick is to keep player happy and most of all keep him playing regularly and not lie to him about his role at club. small squad mean less chance of player becoming upset at lack of chances etc.

also having squad members with same personality helps a lot. mixing up causes cliques and divisions and reduces harmony.

ps: another good tip for fixing bad harmony is get rid of few older players and bring on your younger prospects. when they get 1st team games they get very happy and if you win a few the harmony can go right up.

Thanks le Girondins, so does the size of your reserves have an impact? ie, I have quite a large first team squad. It was something I inherited, but it would cost me quite a lot to free transfer them, so I'd rather hold off until I got some money. Could I just put the guys who realistically ain't gonna play in the reserves, thus keeping my first team squad small, and go through all the reserves and make sure their squad status is realistic? Would that be a good start?

Thanks le Girondins, so does the size of your reserves have an impact? ie, I have quite a large first team squad. It was something I inherited, but it would cost me quite a lot to free transfer them, so I'd rather hold off until I got some money. Could I just put the guys who realistically ain't gonna play in the reserves, thus keeping my first team squad small, and go through all the reserves and make sure their squad status is realistic? Would that be a good start?

I am just going on what I think here. others will come to tell you the real truth. ;)

how is your squad set up? I have a core of 5-6 players who are under 30 and performan consistently; these are usually players who love the club and/or me! to these I add 2-3 of my own signings, can be big name or not. and then there is the meat of the team, the veteran squad players who I bring in every season. 5-6 of these as 'backup'. always free transfers and always with at least 1 international cap. these will soak up injuries and add spine to your team usually they perform really well for half a season then their form just vanishes or falls away or they get unhappy. they are on 1 year contracts and sensible wages in january I usually dump most of them, the ones who have been inconsistent or injured too much and sign 2-3 really good loan signings. this gives the whole team a real boost and fresh hungry players to take the fight to the ai in the second half of the season. if you have money (i never do) then 1-2 high progile signings can really boost the team in the same fashion.

I really view the two transfer windows as two seperate seasons. usually only 8-10 of the players who start a season will end it still in form/not injured and still in my plans.

this is just my view but keeping a sense of momentum is vital and simply sticking with the same players, especially older ones who are hit and miss is bad. best to plan who you are going to keep forever, sign in 5 or so veterans, grind out a decent half season till the new year then sign loan players for the problem positions once you have your tactics tweaked.

as for squad size I am ruthless like mourinho. we have 2 good players for every position at top level. at normal level I have my 1st eleven and 11 youngsters or veterans to make up the squad. never more than 22. it might swell up to 30 or so while I sign people who are available and might be good for me, but they soon get whittled out as the weak and crap players get shown the door.

if a player is good stats but never really puts it together or finds his form or his stats decline even, just get rid of him. he will probably have bad hidden mental stats etc. never persevere unless you have no choice. remember the loans system can really work for you, it effectively lets you sign 8+ new players every season or whenever you need a boost with NO commitment to them whatsoever, you can just send them home if their form falls off etc. dont think loan players are just for small clubs. it works at every level! momentum is the key to good morale. results + happy players. ruthlessly purging the bad eggs and lazy egos and utilising your options to bring in hungry new staff is the key.

I never have more than 25 squad players inc. reserves. the reserve games are always made up on players returning to fitness or the 11 who didnt play the last match + under 18's.

small squads, two for every position plus a few 'utility' players who can play anywhere is way to go.

and make damn sure they are all similar pesonalities and hungry for success. if they are, as I said, just average or never find their form or are never fit, dump them. you are nearly always better off with a young player on loan or a good player who has been ignored by his club etc. they just bring in 'freshness' and it shows. they will have been rotting in reserves of big teams or never given a chance etc. they will have 'wants to impress' or 'wants to get career back on track' or 'pleased to have signed' etc. this is what gives you a lift and when they are happy, your whole squad morale goes up.

players who play together often and win you matches, enjpoy their form and are happy at the club will give you good harmony. throw in some young players who get a good run in the 1st team or pick up in cup competitions so you can rest your best players etc so their morale stays high will help. as does playing and winning reserve matches. just stay on top of your morale and dont let anyone fail to pull their weight.

I should add that making massive changes to your squad or rebuilding can take one season or half a season to settle down. you just got to accept that it takes time to gel. but if the team is not starting to perform by january then you must act. also dont be fooled into thinking your tactics are wrong and start playing around with other formations etc all the time because the team is not playing well. it is usually the lack of gelling and will settle down. likewise dont be blase and fail to adapt your tactics and blame gelling, because it could be that your new winger is a bottler or is lazy etc.

just 'feel' your way. IRl clubs do this all the time, they sign a few players, half will be ok the other half will flop then they get them out the door in januart and get some new faces in and you hear phrases like 'freshness' and 'new direction' and 'boost' used in the media when they get some form. its a treadmill .. sign a few .. keep a few .. dump a few .. buy some duffs .. just keep it going and don't go potty. :)

• 2 months later...

yes but where does this lack of harmony start?

could it be because of the team not topping the table or sth?

cause that happens to me , i have ibrahimovic in inter and he is considering his options but ofc i aint golla let him go.

i am not topping the table , obviously.

Archived