It's official: I'm addicted to FM again

When I was a kid I remember I'd occasionally bunk off school to have a massive Champ Manager gaming session.

FM08 is certainly not without its flaws but here I am, in my mid-to-late twenties, married, with a sensible career job in London. And what have I done? I've rung in sick today because I'm too addicted to my current game managing Gillingham to actually go into work today!!

Yes, I'm a very tragic individual, but I'm enjoying this game at the moment.

I hope I'm not the only one. icon14.gif

When I was a kid I remember I'd occasionally bunk off school to have a massive Champ Manager gaming session.

FM08 is certainly not without its flaws but here I am, in my mid-to-late twenties, married, with a sensible career job in London. And what have I done? I've rung in sick today because I'm too addicted to my current game managing Gillingham to actually go into work today!!

I hope I'm not the only one. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

It's great isn't it?

I've been worried that I might "Grow Out" of games, but I'm 27yrs old, with a job I love and a wife and kid and here I am, crying because I was beat by a bunch of pixels on a screen... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha, I love that we're so passionate about what is essentially a spreadsheet. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Well i'm going on holiday next week and the Mrs wasn't too chuffed when I jokingly mentioned maybe bringing the laptop with me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, love the use of conditional English there. What you really meant to say was: "I'm bringing my laptop, b*tch, deal with it." icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan_Returns:

Hahaha, I love that we're so passionate about what is essentially a spreadsheet. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but it makes you sound really knowledgeable when it comes to watching Euro and World Cup games with your friends and family.

In fact, my son (who is 6) invites my family and friends to give him the initials of any player in the world and he can give them the player's name, position, team and country. It sounds really cool for a six year old to do this, but it's because he is hooked on this spreadsheet too.

What isn't so cool is when he says .... "Daddy, there's Vincent Kompany. Remember you bought him for Valencia?" At which point I have to admit to them that I am spending so much time on this game.

Haha we all know that's what we'd like to say but it actually went more like;

"Might bring the laptop with me, we could watch a DVD or two."

"You're not playing that stupid game when we are on holiday."

"Sorry dear, you know best."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan_Returns:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Well i'm going on holiday next week and the Mrs wasn't too chuffed when I jokingly mentioned maybe bringing the laptop with me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, love the use of conditional English there. What you really meant to say was: "I'm bringing my laptop, b*tch, deal with it." icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what he said was "any chance I could get away with taking the laptop without you divorcing me" and when she gave him THE LOOK he pretended it was a joke (after the fact).

I have to admit that im glad that big brother rubbish is back on tv now. it gives me an hour or two's peace every evening when the bird is watching it. as i dont have to spend quality time with her i can concentrate on getting kildare county into europe. icon_biggrin.gif

having to get by with a mediocre laptop which barely runs FM 06 let alone 08 oh man im addicted! i dont care that the damn thing is so slow as long as i get my fix, and you know what the best bit is?! my g/f plays it more if not the same amount as me!! lol

Well wait until your 55 and your younger wife calls for the men in white suits.

Apparently she's telling them that I am shouting and swearing at my PC and mentioning many players names with expletive deletives.

As a NUFC fan she thinks it's just about preferable to me watching them live but only just..0.o

Thank god for Jane Austen/Charlotte Bronte DVD's...

icon_eek.gif

Havent called in sick.. but then again.. Im only a 32 year old student that have two major tests next week and two extremely tough case studies that are due next friday.. Have had since beginning of December to prepare for tests and do the case studies..

But thanks to SI, I have yet to start icon_frown.gif

I hope I'm not the only one. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a relief to read this post...

and theres me thinking im the only 32 yr old wife neglecting fm geek around icon_biggrin.gif

thanks gillsman,uve made my day hehe

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">God dammit, wait till your 47 and are still playing, eventually, they (female species types) give up and resign themselves to doing what's best! Ignoring the sad old git in the corner! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 44 and all I can say is thank god for the soaps! Gives me some valuable FM-time

Its alright for you young uns, I'm 58 and been hooked since the first game in 93 when I had (still got) the Amiga. At least I have my own room upstairs with 3 PCs set up. At least she knows where I am, and not out on the town getting sloshed or worse. She gets to hog the telly downstairs and I get to play FM all evening. Even when I hate the game I can't put it down. Now and again she will put on that old song by Napoleon XIV, There coming to take me away Ha Ha. and turn the volume up. (I must have been ranting about some stupid penalty miss). Oh Well. just one more match then I will come to bed. icon_eek.gif

I would just like to point out FM is a database, not a spreadsheet.

and yes i'm addicted. but whats more annoying is the fact i can't seem to go on one of my long runs where i continue with the same team for about 5-6 years.

maybe its just all the bugs that prevent this. God! I hope i'm not growing our of it icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

After a few abortive attempts at FM08 im loving it!

Tried a new game with Chelsea initially and then Birmingham, but couldnt quite get into it but since the patch I took charge of Forest and got them up through the play offs.

Winning 2-1 in extra time and I concede with 2 minutes to go which makes it 2-2. In the dying embers of the game they score another and im losing 3-2! So I go to all out attack and get a free kick on the edge of the area, their player gets sent off and this free kick is essentially a penalty. Can I score it? The ball hits the wall which changes the direction completely, the keeper is helpless and the ball is heading to the post...it hits the post and bounces in! 3-3!

Ended up winning the penalty shoot out icon_smile.gif

It's taken me a while to get addicted to this latest version of FM, but i really am now. I go to bed at night and lay there keeping myself awake thinking about formation tweaks and wondering who to play etc... I love it icon_biggrin.gif The last version i was this addicted to was CM97/98 - can't believe that was 10 years ago!!

My other half doesn't get it either she just scoffs at the "endless lists" icon_biggrin.gif

Archived