Call a Pure Virtual Function

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well u had a thread that got 4000+ views bout this problem and no one helped me but it was on the bugs forum. so here it goes.... im just playing around on the game and then this happens

1. Serious error had occured and the application must close. An error file has been placed in the Crash dumps folder. (nothing goes into the crash dumps folder)

2. An error report comes up saying dont send or send. (this doesnt help in the slightest)

3. Title of pop up: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error.

Runtime Error

(say what the game is and where)

R6025:

Pure Virtual Function Call

microsoft say i need to call a pure virtual function and place a debugbreak in it but I dont know how to call it or place a debubreak in it.

Sorry dont know how to place screen shots on the thread.

Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:

Load the .exe into a hex editor, find the vtable for the class in question and replace the null pointer with a pointer of your choice. In hex my favourite pointer is 0xdeadbeef.

BTW, you've just violated the ULA.

how do u load the .exe into hex editor and wat is the .exe for fm08 is it fm.exe?

If you hit ctrl+Alt+delete 3 times, you should get a pop up onto your screen.

You will be able to open up a dtection program. This will enable you to more easily detect when people are taking the p1ss out of you.

Flux Capacitor?!? FFS, haven't you ever seen 'Back to the Future'?

OK, you seem to be going around in circles. Here is the proper answer:

- You can't debug or do anything to the game's code. So that's that.

- To solve the error, try and updating your graphics card or reinstalling the game. That is your only solution.

However, this thread should not be in this forum. Please write it in the Bugs Forum and wait for a reply. If you don't get any, then no-one can help.

Got a big/decent Hard Drive?

Try upping your virtual RAM.

Right Click on My Computer

Properties

Advanced Tab

Click Settings in the Performance area.

Click Change under the virtual RAM area.

Up the initial and the maximum values.

Before doing this, please make sure you've reinstalled the game and patched it to the latest version.

Failing that you may have a ****ed version of Windows or just a **** pc/drivers.

Start>Run>dxdiag tells you all your pc stats icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by DamianY2J:

- To solve the error, try and updating your graphics card or reinstalling the game. That is your only solution.

However, this thread should not be in this forum. Please write it in the Bugs Forum and wait for a reply. If you don't get any, then no-one can help.

update graphics card and reinstalled the game

i had a hot topic in the bugs forum but got new answer

Originally posted by mikemanutd:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

update graphics card and reinstalled the game

i had a hot topic in the bugs forum but got new answer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then either wait for an answer or you'll have to accept that no-one knows the answer.

I'm not sure it's a problem with the game per se, because I don't think anyone else has every come across this issue. The problem is more likely found in your machine. Have you tried installing the game on a different computer, and seeing what happens? If it runs fine, then the problem lies with your computer. If not, take the game back.

When a program is written, it is generally compiled into machine code, as is Football Manager 2007 and 2008.

Now, programs like Visio and Visual C++ can run programs in little "sandboxes", so they can, say, monitor what goes on in the computer while it runs. Not just files it creates and stuff, but rather how virtual memory and registers are used. It forms the basis of programs such as FM Modifier, analysing memory.

Unfortunately, Microsoft, when you install what I'd imagine is Microsoft Visual Basic with Microsoft Visual C++ with various other things, whenever a program encounters an error, it assumes you are a technical expert and then thinks you will be able to debug the program. Not just modify the underlying code, but the memory too! Obviously, few people are capable of such a thing, but the error message is in such a way that people will usually click debug or something, because they think Microsoft is so good at software design, it will debug for you.

It doesn't. And I highly doubt many people can.

So what I suggest: Ignore this stupid message, it's doubtful this is the solution. It's almost like finding your car broken down, and instead of checking if your ignition key is inside, you take your car apart to find the problem.

You can view Microsoft's description, too. But don't follow any of their instructions, there's no point.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749

I am inclined to think it's a botched install. Try uninstalling your game and re-installing. Otherwise, it could be various issues, including broken DirectX drivers or spyware. But do the reinstall first.

I've done a little poking around, too, and it could be your graphics card, but this is unlikely looking at yours.

You could try getting updated drivers from nVidia. But again, I doubt this is the case and it's not really a nice path, updating your graphics drivers, when you get it wrong.

What I did find out was that this error is quite widespread over multiple games so it could well be graphics card or DirectX-related.

my version of CirectX is 9.0c and the game says the graphic card must be 8.1 compatiable so you think i should install 8.1 over 9.0c or should it work with 9.0c and somewhere i have read that someone fixed this problem on CM03/04 by installing windows XP service pack 2 but i cant install it. it doesnt show up on windows update...does this mena i already have it

Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mikemanutd:

how can a game be made with a problem that cant be fixed....it just pure stupidity...think if i sent a letter to SI i would get a reply (doubt it)

you expect SI to release a game complete with all code that can be viewed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no i expect the game code not to contain any faults and if it does there should be a way of fixing it

I don't think it's the game. If the CD was scratched, say, the install would've quite likely not completed itself.

Alright, I think we've exhausted the possible avenues. You have an nVidia card, so go to http://www.nvidia.com > Download drivers > Enter all your computer details and search, or use Option 2. Follow all the instructions carefully. Before doing any installing, I suggest you go and dig out the CD that came with the original drivers for your video card just in case something goes wrong. Get the latest drivers and install them, restart your computer, then give the game a shot again.

It could well be a corrupted DirectX driver or something - if you play any other games, does this happen? You can also try installing DirectX 9.0c again (http://www.download.com/Microsoft-DirectX-Drivers-Redistributable/3000-2121_4-10617608.htm l - a copy here), restart your system and try again.

Keep us updated.

Originally posted by x42bn6:

I don't think it's the game. If the CD was scratched, say, the install would've quite likely not completed itself.

Alright, I think we've exhausted the possible avenues. You have an nVidia card, so go to http://www.nvidia.com > Download drivers > Enter all your computer details and search, or use Option 2. Follow all the instructions carefully. Before doing any installing, I suggest you go and dig out the CD that came with the original drivers for your video card just in case something goes wrong. Get the latest drivers and install them, restart your computer, then give the game a shot again.

It could well be a corrupted DirectX driver or something - if you play any other games, does this happen? You can also try installing DirectX 9.0c again (http://www.download.com/Microsoft-DirectX-Drivers-Redistributable/3000-2121_4-10617608.htm l - a copy here), restart your system and try again.

Keep us updated.

i till give this a go. thanks for your time. sorry to say but it cant be the disc because I have had the game now with new different disc (it is the only refund policy game offer) and it didnt work with either disc so i doubt it is that.

well I have a few games which would work which I thought would need better graphics eg. Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. But Medieval Total War 2 doesnt work - doesnt install fully somethin to do with a voice1.dat file being wrong or something. You think it is related (i dont).

x42bn6 it didnt work what you suggested. I downloaded the directX from the link you gave and it worked for about 2 hours and then the problem reoccured. So i tried to install it again and the problem happened straight away. I have alreayd tried the latest nvidia update. icon_frown.gif

I don't suppose you would know how to reinstall windows? The fact that it worked for a while indicates it is a system problem, either hardware or software

When it occurred again after it had worked for 2 hours, how did it crash - was it exactly the same?

Originally posted by mikemanutd:

x42bn6 it didnt work what you suggested. I downloaded the directX from the link you gave and it worked for about 2 hours and then the problem reoccured. So i tried to install it again and the problem happened straight away. I have alreayd tried the latest nvidia update. icon_frown.gif

Alright, we are getting somewhere! What did you do so the game ran for 2 hours? What order, basically?

Is it:

1) DirectX, played game, crashed, update video card, nothing happened

2) DirectX, update video card, played game, crashed

Or if you didn't need to update at all.

If it is the former, it's probably something dodgy with your card, though I have absolutely no idea about how to go about fixing that (that error message is so vague).

If it's the latter, it suggests even the "best" updates cause the problem but do get you somewhere.

I've done some more poking around, but I don't have an nVidia card so I can't really help you here. Try looking for your nVidia settings, perhaps in Display Settings (right-click Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced?), and then look for something along the lines of "Windows Media Acceleration", and disable it, and see if that works. Something tells me no, as well, because that's related to video, but who knows? I saw this as a solution for Roxio's products.

Archived