FM 2008: Welcome to Vicente Calderón - Home of Atlético Madrid!

manu legend

4012.gif

Club Atletico de Madrid is a Spanish football club based in Madrid. They currently play in the Primera Division of La Liga. Their home stadium is the Vicente Calderan Stadium.The club has won both La Liga and the Copa del Rey on nine occasions, including a double in 1996. They also won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1962 and were European Cup runners-up and Intercontinental Cup winners in 1974. Atletico play in red and white striped shirts and blue shorts.

Club Information

Name: Club Atletico de Madrid

Founded: 1903

Ground: Vicente Calderan, Madrid

Chairman: Enrique Cerezo

League: Spanish First Division

Rivals: R.Madrid, Espanyol, Barcelona, Sevilla, Ossasuna

Value: £71 million

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Youth Facilities: Good Youth facilities + Academy

Media Prediction: 7th

Transfer Budget: Ranging between £4.2m to £7m depending on targets.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

Falcan

Christian Abbiati

Leo Franco

Defenders

Giourkas Seitaridis

Antonio Lopez

Mariano Perni*a

Fabiano Eller

Ze Castro

Luis Amaranto Perea

Pablo

Midfelders

Thiago Motta

Cleber Santana

Raul Garci*a

Maxi RodrÃ*guez (Captain)

Jose Manuel Jurado

Maniche

Miguel

Juan Valera

Simao Sabrosa

Forwards

Diego Forlan

Mista

Jose Antonio Reyes

Luis Garcia

Sergio Aguero

Recommended Starting 11:

GK: Leo Franco

DR: Seitaridis

DL: Pernia

DC: Ze Castro

DC: Pablo

MCd: Motta

MCa: Garcia

AMR: Maxi Rodrigues

AML: Simao

ST: Aguero

ST: Forlan

Improvements:

Overall the squad looks very good and well balanced. The Midfield and Strike are areas which are vey strong and don't need to improved in my opinion. The goalkeepers are also decent. The Defence is again decent but it is the area that needs improving imo. RB definatly needs improving and I would use the money to strengthen that position as I believe that Valera is not good enough and Seitaridis is a back up.

This thread can be used to post your great games with maybe a screenie and regular updates which can include Pre season posts, January posts and of course End of Season posts. You can also ask for advice about tactics, signings etc.

Finally, can you return Atletico to their glory days?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice start icon14.gif

Don't forget that Atleti have a good few youngsters in the U18's, and they are one of the best in game at developing, Goalkeepers esp.

I'm waiting for the full release, so I won't contribute anything here for a bit, but bring on OCT 25 (ish) icon_smile.gif

Started as Atletico on the demo last night. Signed Sergey Ignasavich for free from CSKA Moscow and he looks like a bargain. Have sold just Valera for 500k. I have played Austria Vienna in the 3rd rounnd of the Intertoto Cup and have won 5-2 on aggerate so we will play in the Uefa Cup \o/

So far so good, anyone else playing as Atletico?

• 2 weeks later...

Atletico is a very good team, but with their current team 4-5-1 is a much better tactic. Use balance cause away venues are tougher in Spain, with DMC switching with MCs and visa-versa. With really powerful wingers move the ball fast and short towards the sides. Sell all your foreigners, except aguero [wonderkid to me, he just needs hard training],boost up the training and get some coaches.

Finally started with Atletico \o/

Transfers In

Cristian Zapata - £7.5m

Mika Aaritalo - £210k

Ever Banega - £2.5m

They are all bargains imo and all will be useful members of the squad. Zapata has some fb stats and will partner Pablo at the back. Banega is a snip at that price and reminds me of Pirlo. He will be my first choice DM. Finally Aaritalo is dirt cheap and will be a useful squad player.

Transfers Out

Fabiano Eller, Maniche, Valera and Cleber Santana were all sold for a combined £7m.

Squad and tactic

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2360/10242007234052yi8.jpg

My squad looks well balanced and I think we should get a top 6 place at least and get some good cup runs aswell. My tactic is very attacking and suits my players inmo. I will use an alternative away tactic btw.

Season so far

The season as started well and we have qualified for the 1st round of the Uefa Cup and have won both of our league matches so far against Espanyol and Almeria. Forlan and Aguero have developed a really good partnarship already and they have 10 goals between them so far.

I'll update later icon_smile.gif

I just started my first FM08full game as Athletico as i was in the middle of my 3rd season in 07 and wanted to continue.

What a great squad!!!!

So far i have brought in Vagner Love n Huntelaar and shipped out the brazilian CB and RW. Trying to get hold of Sunny from Valencia but they want 5.5m and im not sure he is worth it. Borja wouldnt come =[ and Vanden Borre is pretty expensive. Ustari is next on the list if they'll take less than 10m. Have done some other transfers but cant remember them!

i just finished my first season with atletico finishing 4th on joint points with valencia on 3rd. main signings were makoun for a defensive mid role and van der vaart. just a tip for those in your first season make sure you offer new deals to pablo and maxi rodriguez because they are reluctant to sign new deals and now rodriguez is going to inter. However bring on the new season!

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=at1lo9.png

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=at2gf7.png

well im back lol.signed breno on pre contract,piatti just arrived what a player and looking at marcelo of real if hes interested and going to sign matias fernandez or van der vaart.got 20 odd million there and have a lot of cash left,selling maxi rodriguez to inter for 20m and a few others.completley revamped my backroom staff which is needed and made my usual training regimes-they rock!

also javi martinez of athletic im unsettling him - wonderkid- and fantastic all round midfielder just need a few good strikers and a RB so anyone any ideas??

Originally posted by Skinaldo:

ah you have experience with lyon mate do you think i should sign kallstrom and fred for atletico?

fred is a great striker imo always scores but injured for two months

kallstrom is much better on this version imo but he is easily unhappy also imo

hope this helps

buy fred buy fred buy fred buy fred ....

Good to see more people starting with Atletico icon14.gif.

fowlerx3 Great squad mate and well done on finishing 4th. The only place I'd look at improving is your defence.

Skinaldo Some good signings mate. I'd go for Fernandez over VdV as VdV is quite injury prone. Piatti btw looks fb but has aready gone to Arsenal on mine but I'll keep tabs on him.

thank for the info on lyon mate,decided not to buy any of them lyon players...was tlking to some wee girl on msn and lost my flow so foret who im signing lol,for dmc its a mix between javi martinez or veloso and for a SC i cant think,some1 pacey or great in air,im thinkn sobis tho i dunno how much Betis want,im very picky when it comes to signing players i dont really like most the players people reccomend on here like huntelaar owen martinez Asamoah Gyan etc lol

thanks guys and keep posting

In October of second season, finished 3rd in my first, and could of been even better, but for last day draw. A win would of seen us pip our local neighbours to 2nd. Made wholesale squad changes. Sold all my promising youngsters, along with some of the top names in the squad (Garcia, Motta, Forlan, Maniche, Seiteridis) Had a small squad so I pumped my transfer up severly by having low wage funds.

Major Buys in my first season:

Breno - centre half, signed for 6.5m. Turned into a wonderkid immediatly.

Vincent Kompany - centre half, signed for 12.5m, did well but just sold him for 18m to LIverpool.

Michel Salgado - Experienced right back, did a good job for only 2m.

Armand Traore - Left Back sogned for 2m, just turned wonderkid in the second season.

Javi Martinez - centre midfielder signed for 10.5m, turned wonderkid after a month or so and attracting a lot of interest from Arsenal now.

Miguel Veloso - defensive midfielder, signed for a massive 20m, proved my best but as he forged a great midfield partnership with Raul Garcia.

Neri Cardozo - winger bought for 5.5m but sold him for 18.25m to Juventus in January window!!!

2nd season buys:

Juan Roman Riquelme - signed on a free from Villareal, genius in the middle of the park.

Oscar Ustari - keeper signed for 5.5m from Getafe, has got off to a great start.

Got off to a flyer in the second season. Currently second after 10 games and unbeaten. Also progressing well in the champions league group stages.

Doing really well atm and I'm in December. We're 4th in the league and have qualified for the next round of the Uefa Cup. Aguero has been the star man with 16 goals and 10 assists in 24 games and Forlan has the same amount of goals aswell.

The new signings ave settled in well. Zapata has looked assured at the back and is a aerial threat at set pieces and Banega has improved a lot and has made the DM spot his own. Aaritalo hasn't been used much but managed to come off the bench and grab a winner against leaders Valencia icon_cool.gif .

yeh aguero is fantastic like i find him more selfish in fm08 but i like that in a striker hes great to watch. i havent signed banega for atletico i did in a man utd save his stats improve all the time class player.i retrained piatti so he cud play SC and scored two goals there on his 2nd start for team so lookin promising,im 1st in league in november

End of January Transfer Window Update

Squad

10262007205531si6.th.jpg

Transfers In

Samir Nasri - £10m

Christopher Samba - £3m

Antonio Barragan has also signed and will join us in the summer.

Nasri will be my midfield playmaker and I was delighted to get him at that price. I went for Matiaz Fernandez first but was putt of by his price of £18m icon_frown.gif. Samba is a beast in the air and will give me more options in defence and Barragan is a good young RB and will be a good addition to the squad when he arrives.

Transfers Out

Ze Castro - £8m

Mista - £3m

Ze Castro wanted first team football and I was very happy with the price I got for him and Mista was not needed so I sold him.

Things are looking good for us atm. We are top, level on points with Barcelona and are in the Spanish Cup Semis where we will face Sevilla. Also we have reached the second round of the Uefa Cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the second season after winning the leage.

Came third in the first year.

no joy in the cups yet.

Have the following first team squad

Any suggestions for strengthning??

atadwx3.th.jpg

Have just lost Enyeama and Leo Franco so a new Goalkeeper is top of the list. Any cheaper alternatives to akinfeev etc

I'm in my second season in charge at VC (playing Full Game, Patch v2). Loving every second.

First Season Results: Won La Liga (by 3 points over Barcelona; from being 16th after 8 games), Won Spanish Cup, Lost in Uefa Cup Final.

Second Season: In December '08; Second in La Liga (on goal difference), just qualified for ECL next round (including hammering Juve 5-0).

Transfers: Riquleme (e2.5million). Star in the middle of the park. Signed in January '08, after no starts at Villareal, and came second

in La Liga Player of the Year. Also bought in First Season: Barzagli, Zaccardo, Radoi, Makoun.

Second Season (in December '08 at the moment): Kameni, Zapata, Quaresma and in Jan '08 getting Cavani.

Notable sold: Reyes, Forlan, All Original Squad Defenders... apart from Ze Castro.

Formation: 3-1-4-1-1, Short, Normal Tempo, Narrow.

Tactics: I find Aguero work best at AMC for me. Riquelme being Playmaker don. Bit short up front, using Garcia as stop gap: Waiting for Cavani arrival in Jan '09.

Forgot to say... I'm always around e8-10 million in debt for the best part of the season. I've managed to recoup loads, most notably from sales of Reyes and Forlan.

I want to improve facilities and youth, but borad always reject cos of lack of funds?

Is anyone else (just about) coping with Finance?

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my first season in 4th place behind

Real

Barca

Valencia

Me

I got given £25m plus the sale of forlan for £7m gave me enough to buy:

£11m - Matias Fernandez

£3.8m - Breno

£7m - Modric

£14.5m - Javi Martinez

My team now looks like this

Leo-Franco

Ignashevic Breno Pablo A Lopez

R. Garcia J Martinez

Maxi Modric Matias Fernandez

Aguero

What a team!!!!

I have just started a game with Atletico Madrid. Looking forward to trying to knock Barca and Real of the top of the table.

I am still in Pre-Season at the moment but i have signed Jean II Makoun on a deal worth 8.25m, that signing did upset Motta and Maniche as they are worried about there places but i signed Makoun to replace them players anyway so no problems there. I have also signed Ignashevich on a free to add a bit of depth to the CB position.

I am looking to offload Eller and Santana and will look at transfering out Motta and Maniche to free up some transfer funds.

There is intrest from other clubs for Aguero and Rodriquez at the moment but hope to keep both.

I am looking to play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with Makoun playing the DM position and Aguero and someone else playing in the AMC positions behind Forlan. I will be testing this through pre-season tho so it may change.

I will update at the end of pre-season.

Haven't been able to update for a while because my Internet connection has had problems but I'm back now and hopefully we can revive this thread.

Anyway my game got corrupted but I had a back up where I was in December so I continued that and have got to February \o/.

Will update later icon_smile.gif

Am at the end of April atm and Barcelona have overtaken me in the league and lead by 4 points even though I have a game in hand against Real Madrid. I have been knocked out of the Spanish Cup by Sevilla (icon_frown.gif) but We've qualified for the Uefa Cup finals. The problem has been that goals have dried up and Forlan is terribly out of form and Aguero cannot cope on his own.

Originally posted by Passer-by:

4 seasons in, I signed De Silvestri, Jansen, Tevez and Mascherano (free) .

At. Madrid is a great team in FM08, as long as you can break Barcelona, the league is yours.

Aye but Barca are so damn consistant. they have only lost one game this season (against me icon_cool.gif ) and are 30 games unbeaten icon_frown.gif.

I have just finished my 1st season as At. Madrid and although disapointed in the cup and in the UEFA cup i managed to finish 3rd in the league behind Barcelona (Who won the league by a long way) and Betis. It was between me and Real going into the last game, i was 4th and they where 2pts infront of me. I won and they lost to finish off a great end of the season.

Half way through i was down in 11th place and the board where unhappy with me but after the xmas break i only lost 2 league games and played some excellent football.

Forlan finished the season with 36 goals in all compertitions and 28 in the league, that is good enough on its own but add the fact that he also had 20 assists he had an excellent season. Aguero finished with 21 Goals and 13 Assists and Rodriguez had 16 Goals and 7 Assists. Reyes had my best average rating with 7.54 and to think he had no goals with that it was a great season for him.

Unfortunatly i have lost Maxi Rodriguez for a cut price 11m and even worse then that it was to Valencia, he got unhappy as he wanted a 'Bigger Club' and handed in a transfer request. I accepted as i dont want any player who does not want to play for me and my chairman started accepting bids for me saying they were to good to turn down!

As far as signing go in the 1st transfer window i signed Sergey Ignashevich on a free from CSKA Moscow and Jean II Makoun for 8.25m from Lille. In January i signed Vincent Kompany for 11.25m to help my defence and he did just that.

Im in the Champions League for the 2nd season so will be looking to get a bit of money in and push for the top 2 spots in the league. I need to bring in a few players, i need a replacement for Maxi but i am hopefull i can have a good season. I think Valencia who finished 6th last season are going to have a big season, aswell as signing Maxi Rodriguez from me they have signed Ezequiel Garay and Javier Mascherano to strengthen an already good squad.

Just a quick player update, i have just signed Jimmy Briand for 12.5m from Rennes, i played against him in the UEFA cup and he was the reason they knocked me out, good finisher and very quick, with Forlan not getting any younger and Mista just a backup player also not getting any younger im glad to have him as he is only 22, alot of clubs where after him too.

Some good signings mr_whitley and good season icon14.gif. Maxi is unhappy for me aswell so I'm thinking of selling him oin the summer as Inter and Valencia are intrested. I'm looking to replce him with Jesus Navas who is avialable for £15m as he is unhappy at Sevilla \o/.

End of Season 2007/2008 Update

Squad

12102007171352qs9.th.jpg

Spanish First Division

12102007171423vs0.th.jpg

Spanish Cup

Crashed out in the Semi Final against Sevilla.

1st leg

12102007171618gg7.th.jpg

2nd leg

12102007171722zn3.th.jpg

icon_frown.gif

Uefa Cup Final

12102007171808kq1.th.jpg

Managers Own

Top 3 players

Sergio Aguero - Scored over 35 goals and got over 20 assists and my best player in the season.

Cristian Zapata - Has tremendous stats and was fb a the back this season and he chipped in with some goals aswell. A snip at £10m last summer.

12102007172334zy8.th.jpg]Maxi Rodriguez[/url] - The captain lead by example and played a pivotal role in our double. Will probably leave however as he wants to go and Inter are sniffing around.

Overall I'm absolutely thrilled with the season. Delighted to win a treble. The league was especially great to win as Barca were 4 points ahead of us with 5 games left and we had a game in hand against Real. However they dropped points at crucial times while we won all our games. The Uefa Cup was really easy as we demolished every team put up against us. Looking forward to competing in the Champions League now.

Will update later and hopefully more people will start playing as Atletico as it is a lot of fun icon14.gif

Originally posted by manu legend:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Passer-by:

4 seasons in, I signed De Silvestri, Jansen, Tevez and Mascherano (free) .

At. Madrid is a great team in FM08, as long as you can break Barcelona, the league is yours.

Aye but Barca are so damn consistant. they have only lost one game this season (against me icon_cool.gif ) and are 30 games unbeaten icon_frown.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always use a 5-4-1 to try and draw them but when their strikers are on form, it's always 3-1 or so. I won one season by 2 points with Barca drawing on their last game after winning at least 30 games, it was horribly hard to keep up with them, thank god for Aguero.

guys need some help here

so my first game in the Primera was with Valencia(away) and draw 1-1 with them, second game smashed Atletico with 5-2 , third game lost to Sevilla 1-2 after leading the game 75 minutes!!! icon_frown.gif

and fourth game made a draw 1-1 with Almenia ..

any sogestion for a good tactic?

Originally posted by dan sima:

guys need some help here

so my first game in the Primera was with Valencia(away) and draw 1-1 with them, second game smashed Atletico with 5-2 , third game lost to Sevilla 1-2 after leading the game 75 minutes!!! icon_frown.gif

I always find Aguero plays best at AMC with plenty forward runs, run with ball and through balls. There are plenty players that are versatile enough to come in here and do a job as backup. Make use of the good wingers you have too, i.e. simao, reyes, rodriguez, luis garcia or even miguel is decent. One up front for me...Forlan is so frustrating though with his low composure attribute, but he still scores plenty. Raul Garcia plays best as a MC farrow imo - maniche or luis garcia can cover - with camacho or motta playing DMC.

My formation therefore looks something like this:

my.php?image=atleticopp1.png

<br>

Anyway, let me know if you want to know the underlying instructions behind the formation.

Originally posted by dan sima:

guys need some help here

I use my own 4-4-2 diamond. I'll be willing to upload it if you want but I'd recommend you got o the Tactics and Training Forum and read some of the threads there,

Archived