Fed up with FM09! Can i sell my copy?!

After finally installing my copy of FM09 after getting a new graphics card, dvd drive and downloading the 9.1 patch, not to mention installing the huuuuuuuuuuuuge direct X SDK program, Ive given up, and im never buying a SI game again! I got the game to work, but its sooooooooooooo slow on my PC, I cant use any of the 3D functions, so its just FM08 with a few tweaks! Im not forking out more money to buy a new processor and hard drive just for this game so and im looking to sell

I cant return it to playtime in town as they said its non refundable, would i be able to sell it on ebay? I hear you get 5 'seats' when it comes to using your keycode and when you un-install your game you redeem a seat back. Am i correct? I dont wanna flog it on ebay and then the buyer has to return it because the keycode is invalid.

Somewhere it has been confirmed that you can get all 5 seats back when uninstalling the game from all computers. Thus any buyer would have no disadvantage whatsoever from buying a used copy.

Of course, if you keep your own installation after selling the game, that would be as good as piracy, not to mention that the buyer on Ebay would have the disadvantage of just 4 seats left.

I can honestly appreciate your frustration. I went about seven years without CM because I never had a computer that could play it.

However, the game cannot stay static. It is always going to move forward and grow, just like any game. Eventually people are going to find that it is too big for their systems. That's when you make the choice; do you upgrade or not? I chose to upgrade and am glad I did because I now have a fantastic laptop and an awesome game. Still, you've decided you have to say goodbye, so fair enough. But you can't blame SI for continually moving forward.

I guess that's the harsh version of my post! :D

lol yeah. You are right though, before FM 09 came out I upgraded to 3 gig of RAM, formatted my PC and put XP back on it from Vista so I could get the best performace for the game there was. If my Crap pc could not run it well then I would just not buy it, as simple as that. I would not claim to never buy an SI game again. I would keep playing the one I had until I had a PC that ran it well. Just what you said :D.

lol yeah. You are right though, before FM 09 came out I upgraded to 3 gig of RAM, formatted my PC and put XP back on it from Vista so I could get the best performace for the game there was. If my Crap pc could not run it well then I would just not buy it, as simple as that. I would not claim to never buy an SI game again. I would keep playing the one I had until I had a PC that ran it well. Just what you said :D.

I had a gap between CM97/98 and FM05 where I couldn't play because I didn't have a computer that could handle it. It sucked, but I didn't expect SI to restrict the game to cater to my specs. Same with FM09. I knew it would kill my laptop, so I bought a new one. That's not an option for everyone, but people can hardly expect SI not to progress the game for them.

This is a strange issue, because you don't need the disk to play it once you have authenticated. So is there anything to stop people installing and authenticating it, then simply taking it back to the shop?

If there isn't anything to stop this, there should be!

This is a strange issue, because you don't need the disk to play it once you have authenticated. So is there anything to stop people installing and authenticating it, then simply taking it back to the shop?

Yes - most stores dont take returns on PC games once they've been opened and there's no obvious physical error with the cd.

Yes - most stores dont take returns on PC games once they've been opened and there's no obvious physical error with the cd.

And people who sell on Ebay while keeping installs of the game are legally pirating the game and also deceit the buyers if they don't state openly that the buyer does not get the initial 5 installs coming with the game.

Its illegal to re-sell any PC game so no you cant sell it

Wrong. Many EULAs specify that you can sell the game to someone else PROVIDING you give up all rights to use the game, and don't keep any back ups etc. I haven't read all EULAs, so I've no idea if this is true of all or most of them, but many of the ones I've read say this (and yes, I always read the EULAs).

I understand that, and I am not gonna do it, but are there really NO shops who would give a refund with a receipt?

What about he whole "got two copies for me birfday guvnor" line?

One of the copies should be unopened then, in which case they should offer a refund. :thup:

"legally pirating" that's an oxymoron surely?

Now I think about it, this is a really odd system to choose because of this possibility. Be realistic, who would really get in bother for doing it?

I would like to reiterate that I am not interested in doing so, never have been, never will be.

People who buy stuff from Ebay should not be supported in any way by any company. Its an utterly stupid practice and any problems coming from an ebay purchase are fully deserved.

Why do you say that out of interest?

Why do you say that out of interest?

Mostly because a great deal of stuff on Ebay is decidedly dodgy, and its plainly obvious, yet far too many people complain when they try and save a few £ buying something that looks dodgy and it either a) doesn't turn up, b) the guy runs off with their money or c) it doesn't work properly.

Its evoluting a generation of Del Boy's, except half as smart.

After finally installing my copy of FM09 after getting a new graphics card, dvd drive and downloading the 9.1 patch, not to mention installing the huuuuuuuuuuuuge direct X SDK program, Ive given up, and im never buying a SI game again! I got the game to work, but its sooooooooooooo slow on my PC, I cant use any of the 3D functions, so its just FM08 with a few tweaks! Im not forking out more money to buy a new processor and hard drive just for this game so and im looking to sell

I cant return it to playtime in town as they said its non refundable, would i be able to sell it on ebay? I hear you get 5 'seats' when it comes to using your keycode and when you un-install your game you redeem a seat back. Am i correct? I dont wanna flog it on ebay and then the buyer has to return it because the keycode is invalid.

I feel for you Jonny c because FM09 is a fine game. I have a few issues with it but I'm still learning and that is probably the cause of the issues.

It's a shame you don't have a PC that can run the game well but I still don't understand why you felt the need to say you would never buy an SI game again. Also the fact that you felt the need to highlight 'never' in big letters.

It is not SI's fault you can't run the game. You're not the only one that seems to suggest this. Are SI obliged to stay in the past because a feature they add makes the game difficult to run on lower end PCs?

Personally I never understood why they felt they had to go 3D. Player pressure and, I understand, CM going 3D put some incentive on it, but would fans really not have bought the game if it had remained dots on a screen?

That's beside the point really, because SI have upgraded to 3D and I quite like it. I think they have done a good job. Upgrading a PC to be able to handle the 3D shouldn't be a trial, or expensive. My PC is about 2 years old and runs the game fine. I bought it for about £700 back then, so I wouldn't be surprised if a similar PC would be very cheap now. The components definitely shouldn't be.

Add some more RAM and possibly a new vid card and maybe you'll be fine. That won't set you back a lot.

Of course you may really not have the money, but you shouldn't be annoyed at SI for your pains.

Actually from all of the issues with FM that have arisen I find it interesting just how many people have really, really old graphics cards. I thought the average turnover of a computer was 3 years, but reading some of the issues on here it looks more like 6 years!

You said in the Support forum that your old PC had died and you were getting another one?- is this the new one you cant get it to work on, because this is unlikley unless you have got a very cheap one with no graphics capability.

Mostly because a great deal of stuff on Ebay is decidedly dodgy, and its plainly obvious, yet far too many people complain when they try and save a few £ buying something that looks dodgy and it either a) doesn't turn up, b) the guy runs off with their money or c) it doesn't work properly.

Its evoluting a generation of Del Boy's, except half as smart.

This has nothing to do with Ebay, it's all down to the stupidity of buyers. If you use PayPal then your purchases are protected anyway so there's no problem.

Ebay's great.

This has nothing to do with Ebay, it's all down to the stupidity of buyers. If you use PayPal then your purchases are protected anyway so there's no problem.

Ebay's great.

Lets face it, Ebay makes their money on the stupidity of people.

Also Ebay are notoriously slow at reacting to people selling dodgy items - unless they're threatened with a massive lawsuit.

I don't personally use eBay, but I know people that do. From what I've seen, if you're cautious and use a little common sense, you'll generally be fine. I've seen people get screwed over, but these are always people I'd expect to get screwed over anyway.

Lets face it, Ebay makes their money on the stupidity of people.

Also Ebay are notoriously slow at reacting to people selling dodgy items - unless they're threatened with a massive lawsuit.

How do ebay make money from the stupidity of people? They make their money from sellers and not buyers.

And if you consider, worldwide, the sheer amount of items up for sale at any one time it's very difficult for them to identify and remove things that are genuinely dodgy, even with people reporting them.

eBay and PayPal are no saints when it comes to protecting buyers, and PayPal's protection system doesn't seem all that watertight to me. However, I've bought loads of stuff on eBay and only once had a problem. It's a simple case of looking at the responses, the ratings, etc. I've bought PC games (mostly older games like Rollercoaster Tycoon that I wouldn't want to pay more than a couple of quid for) and never had a problem. But then I'm careful before I buy.

I've also sold a lot of stuff on there, so I don't mind it.

As for buying/selling FM09 - I haven't got the game yet, so I don't know what the EULA is, but assuming it's allowed, I'd buy it from there if the seller seemed legit. :thup:

It sounds to me that the problem is that your computer is possibly below the minimum supported specs. What exactly are your specs ie processor type and speed\amount of ram\hard drive space left. You say you got a new graphics card so what did you get ? Does it have an agp or pci-e or pci connection and how much on-board ram does it have.

i agree 100% loved the last FM but this one is a joke. Had all the same problems people have had with activation and downloading that 400 mb graphics facility and still cant play it because it just stays on a black loading screen doing sod all. waste of money and very dissapointing!!

eBay and PayPal are no saints when it comes to protecting buyers, and PayPal's protection system doesn't seem all that watertight to me. However, I've bought loads of stuff on eBay and only once had a problem. It's a simple case of looking at the responses, the ratings, etc. I've bought PC games (mostly older games like Rollercoaster Tycoon that I wouldn't want to pay more than a couple of quid for) and never had a problem. But then I'm careful before I buy.

I've also sold a lot of stuff on there, so I don't mind it.

As for buying/selling FM09 - I haven't got the game yet, so I don't know what the EULA is, but assuming it's allowed, I'd buy it from there if the seller seemed legit. :thup:

You mean you dont get a free copy for being a mod? :D

FIrst of all - sorry that you're struggling - that's unfortunate. However - if it runs slowly on your PC, it's probably an issue with your PC. It runs fine on my 3 year old laptop in full 3d.

Customer Services will try and help you understand why this is if you need a little help - either contact them directly or PM me with contact details and I'll arrange a call back.

CHeers

Matt

My source is none other than SI's inept leader Miles

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=1885070#post1885070

posts 932 and 933

A lot of companies now are going down the route of stopping people from trading their games in by using this sort of method of DRM. When I was working at Special Reserve we did trade-in of PC games but we had a list of specific games we were told that we were not to accept under any circumstances unless the game was still sealed in it's wrapper, and specifically games that were required to be registered on-line and in particular at the time Star Wars Galaxies, we also iirc had an issue with Half Life 2.

I'm sure at some point in the future a lot of companies will explore the route of trying to stop people from trading in console games, a few companies have expressed a displeasure with people doing this, I think the main one being EA. Well surprise, surprise.

You said in the Support forum that your old PC had died and you were getting another one?- is this the new one you cant get it to work on, because this is unlikley unless you have got a very cheap one with no graphics capability.

I didnt know you could play the game without the CD, ive uninstalled the game from my system now, and its in a jiffy bag ready for someone to buy it from me.

Fraz T, My old pc had died, I purchased a minimum spec pc from my friend, and borrowed a suitable graphics card from a housemates old PC. Hoping all this would at least run FM, which it did, but painfully slow.

The game is indeed fantastic, but the slow running of the game just sent me over the edge. I think its just the culmination of the things that have gone wrong with this game for me, and the fact i was umming and arring over buying it in the first place as I couldnt afford it. I was mad at myself, and yes i was harsh to say i would never buy a game again.

Thanks to everyone for supplying support, and thanks Matt for offering to help. It would make more sense to me to try and redeem my money rather than fork out to upgrade my PC!

I didnt know you could play the game without the CD, ive uninstalled the game from my system now, and its in a jiffy bag ready for someone to buy it from me.

You do realise that, in order to sell the game, you legally need to uninstall it from your computer first?

You do realise that, in order to sell the game, you legally need to uninstall it from your computer first?

Most people wouldn't, as most games require CD in drive to play and as such while you technically have to uninstall it, you can't play without the disk (or a 3rd party addon, but then it's clear cut piracy anyway) so it's not really an issue.

I'm pretty happy that the two non-MMO games i'm playing at the moment are both quite legally, as installed off of the disk "no cd in drive", FM09 and Fallout 3.

Archived