4-3-3 not working in fm09?

I am playing as inter and I play a 4-3-3 formation ...usually with quaresma and mancini as wingers and a target man in ibrahimovic. Now I have noticed that I dont even create any chances on goal and if I do is usually from long range. I also have my 2 central midfielders in attacking and they arrive in the box to help the attack. The assistant always says my forwards are out numbered and I guess he is true. Now if I move the wingers in a striker's position...play with 3 strikers and no wingers (but keep the same instructions to the players) I create a lot of chances. But then quaresma and mancini dont play in their natural position...so i was wondering if there is a way around this. Anybody had a better chance with a 4-3-3 formation??

the only sucess i've had with any 433 formation is in the lower leagues, and its the narrow 433 attacking version (from the standard tactics) with 3 MCs and 3 FCs. Aside from that, I find that most formations using one man up front do not do very well.

I find that most formations using one man up front do not do very well.

I'm playing a 4-5-1, two attacking wingers and 3 central mids. I do pretty well, although most matches my strikers don't play brilliantly.

I get a lot of goals from wingers dribbling in the box and mids shooting from edge of box or running in a cross.

I haven't put my striker as targetman, maybe that'll get them more involved...

You should keep the midfield compact and dominant of the midfield, possibly with one DMC to help enhance this. Also your wingers should get back to help against wide threats.

I've experienced that the Ass Man always comments that the forward is outnumbered when you're only playing with one striker. And off course he is... 2 CB's against 1 ST <- Logic. Just don't pay attention to that comment really. He will always be outnumbered and need to use his skill to get open (Ibra has definately got that).

I haven't really tried a 4-3-3 thoroughly so I can't say if it's is "not working". But I will give it a go.

Perhaps you can be more specific with your tactical setup so that we might get some more insight to what's not working?

I'm playing a 4-5-1, two attacking wingers and 3 central mids. I do pretty well, although most matches my strikers don't play brilliantly.

I get a lot of goals from wingers dribbling in the box and mids shooting from edge of box or running in a cross.

I haven't put my striker as targetman, maybe that'll get them more involved...

I think in this version you should not look at the striker ratings. For the last several versions I have virtually ignored average ratings for my strikers and just gone by the number of goals they've scored, how good they are getting shots on target etc.

At the end of the day, a strikers job is not to play well, be involved in everything etc, it is to score goals. If they're having 6 shots a game but only getting one or two on target, I will drop them or find a replacement.

I've noticed quite a few times in FM my strikers have been getting a 5.x only for them to score and suddenly they're into the 7s.

just a quick question: i tried a 4-3-3 with barca, and then i started playing around with positions, and came up with a formation which has a WB R instead of D R, and an AM C instead of an AM R. so far i am winning but don't play well, is it possible to use such unbalanced formation with success?

just a quick question: i tried a 4-3-3 with barca, and then i started playing around with positions, and came up with a formation which has a WB R instead of D R, and an AM C instead of an AM R. so far i am winning but don't play well, is it possible to use such unbalanced formation with success?

If you mean by having only 1 wing back to cover the entire width of the right side then yes it has actually been done before. I think Spain did it at some point with Ramos as the only wide right side player. <- Don't hang me up on that statement. I can't remember if it was Spain actaully :)

I have used it in FM08 (haven't tried it in 09 yet) and it worked well for me. too As long as you have a great WB with good attributes both offensive and defensive you can try this. The obvious negative is that you can get caught down the side where the back is missing, but this tactic allows you to play some really heavy D

Archived