FM09 Network Game?

Anyone know why I get "Unable to connect to server" when trying to join a network game?

I'm using the correct IP and my friend has the "run as server" box ticked, just won't seem to let me join. :confused:

Any ways around this? or have I gone wrong some where?

download hamachi. its free. you can run your network games using that. if you have any problems PM me.

Yeah I used that on last years, but the connection was very slow, so thought I'd try to run it directly through FM this time.

As a firewall and virus protection, I've tried all that.

Looks like I'll stick to Hamachi again. SI really need to improve the network part of the game.

Yeah I used that on last years, but the connection was very slow, so thought I'd try to run it directly through FM this time.

As a firewall and virus protection, I've tried all that.

Looks like I'll stick to Hamachi again. SI really need to improve the network part of the game.

yeah its a total ball ache through FM. youd think it would be easier with steam but no. hamachi is a bit slow but until FM make network playing more user friendly, then thats what ill be sticking with im afraid.

Anyone know why I get "Unable to connect to server" when trying to join a network game?

I'm using the correct IP and my friend has the "run as server" box ticked, just won't seem to let me join. :confused:

Any ways around this? or have I gone wrong some where?

it will be your router if you have one. the correct ports will not be open. go to port forward for more info.

Yeah i have this exact same problem. Is the port forwarding complicated as it sounds it and what ports to i need to open exactly? Tad irritating having to do it this way i remember playing 07 with my mates online with no problems at all.

Would you recommend the ports or the hamatchi thing?

Many thanks

Yeah i have this exact same problem. Is the port forwarding complicated as it sounds it and what ports to i need to open exactly? Tad irritating having to do it this way i remember playing 07 with my mates online with no problems at all.

Would you recommend the ports or the hamatchi thing?

Many thanks

Port Forwarding is easy if you follow the instructions from here:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Port Forwarding is usually the problem when you're trying to connect over the internet.

One other thing to check though, have you made sure you're getting the correct IP address, namely the one that the router is getting from your ISP, rather than the IP on the individual computer? If you want to double check get the host to go to this webpage:

http://whatsmyip.org/

Then get him to give you the IP address it gives him at the top of the page. That will be the one you need to use. I can't remember whether FM does give you the correct IP address now alongside your local address, I seem to recall earlier versions only gave you the machine's local IP address.

Cheers for the advice on Hamachi will give that a try, as I can't get a network game going either, I never had a problem previously when I had an Ethernet connection plugged in but since I switched to wireless on orange Livebox I can't host or connect to my brothers, interstingly he's had wireless for ages and never had any problem connecting to me before, and also my mate still has a wired connection and we were able to join him ok, I have tried all the port forwarding and done what it says to do but it still hasn't worked,does anyone know a simpler way of doing all this, its very frustrating.

Maybe one of the experts can post a simple easy to follow guide as have looked in the online section as well without much help

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived