tatctics should be changed

i know its an ongoing dispute but i want my own say

i actually dont mind the slider system, but i only think it should apply to pre match and half time i think its a bit silly being able to tweak mid game, and how much it affects the games, managers can surely shout themselves into a frenzy telling players what to do mid game but i dont think they can give detailed insructions on 7 or 8 different variables

another thing does anyone know how good a pc i need to play all the european leagues or more dont like just playing in england but my pc screams in agony when i just play down to BSS and BSN

cheers

im just waiting for the abuse now

i actually dont mind the slider system, but i only think it should apply to pre match and half time i think its a bit silly being able to tweak mid game, and how much it affects the games, managers can surely shout themselves into a frenzy telling players what to do mid game but i dont think they can give detailed insructions on 7 or 8 different variables

another thing does anyone know how good a pc i need to play all the european leagues or more dont like just playing in england but my pc screams in agony when i just play down to BSS and BSN

cheers

im just waiting for the abuse now

Trouble is then you would have to implement something for what you can do mid-game because there's no doubt you can make tactical alterations from the touchline if you give instructions to one of your players.

I don't know if you can feasibly limit the number of "notches" on the sliders for mid-game (e.g. Very defensive, defensive, normal, attacking, gung ho) and then allow the full range at HT and pre-match...

In previous versions this may have been reasonable, but FM8 with it's lunatic match engine?

They'd need to limit the parameters a bit to avoid the ME going nuts...can you imagine the horror of being completly impotent for an entire half whilst the FM8 ME goes into one-goal-scoring-chance-every-few-seconds mode for the opposition.

For away games when you're the heavy underdog, if that keyhole combination of sliders, individual instructions and pre-match comments aren't EXACTLY right, utter slaughter will follow with no chance of complete, panic striken revamp in the tenth minute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by damienroden:

cheers

im just waiting for the abuse now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may not be realistic to make such detailed tactical changes during the course of the game, but it is still very feasable for the manager to change certain aspects of the tactical play during the match....I think within the confines of the FM match engine, it works fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

This is one of those instances where realism doesn't matter. The game is better for allowing you to spot problems and correct them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. Having realism in for realism's sake is wrong when it's to the detriment of the game experience.

well I think it's good idea to some things only on half time.

but I have no clue which they are icon_wink.gif so I think it the best to just let it be...

the option is that those changes you give to players don't apply perfectly during the match icon_eek.gif

I have to say though I hate the new thing of the game continuing while you are on the tactics screen - I much preferred having the game stop completely and being taken to a full tactics screen. Now I have to either make do or hit Pause every time.

And yes I know someone will say it is more realistic, but only marginally. In real life the game lasts 90 minutes so taking a minute to think about a tactical change while the game goes on is neither here nor there. In game if you take a minute on the tactics screen while you let the game go on you've usually missed 5-10 minutes of the game by the time you return to it!

I changed my mind it would be stupid with the match engine, I get frustrated enough already, dont want to be launching the moniter across the room, came so close in the playoffs to doing that. Anyone else got the problem withunless you get the perfectly tweaked tactics your just doing more harm than good.

yours desperately waiting for new patch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

I have to say though I hate the new thing of the game continuing while you are on the tactics screen - I much preferred having the game stop completely and being taken to a full tactics screen. Now I have to either make do or hit Pause every time.

And yes I know someone will say it is more realistic, but only marginally. In real life the game lasts 90 minutes so taking a minute to think about a tactical change while the game goes on is neither here nor there. In game if you take a minute on the tactics screen while you let the game go on you've usually missed 5-10 minutes of the game by the time you return to it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed - as a long-time computer user with occasional wrist pain, I'm not in favor of any game mechanic which puts me in a race against time. I wish for an option like

"Automatically pause when I go in to Tactics", just like it used to.

It may "Not be realistic to have an infinite amount of time to tweak and toy", but that's not what I'm worried about, its more like "It takes me longer (in game time) to drag three subs onto the screen than it does for a real manager to say, "Smith, on for Jones on the left. Tomson, you go in for Richards as a striker, Matthews, you'll be right back. Go." ... assuming that those three have been warming up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i know its an ongoing dispute but i want my own say </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want your say in a game you can't be bother to pay for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by damienroden:

i think its a bit silly being able to tweak mid game, and how much it affects the games, managers can surely shout themselves into a frenzy telling players what to do mid game but i dont think they can give detailed insructions on 7 or 8 different variables </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see my mid-game tweaking as the equivalent of hollering from the technical area, "Push up!", "Get more crosses in!", "Get closer to him", "Kick nine bells outta the b*st*rd!!!"

Realistic IMO icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

You could just hit the space bar before making your tactical changes?

It's what I do.

I agree it should have been an option though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never got to grips with keyboard shortcuts. I've only just started using spacebar instead of the annoying "Continue" button so maybe in 30 years I'll have evolved into using all the shortcut keys icon_razz.gif

You NEED to be able to change your tactics midway through a half. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous... unless the FA announce that you MUST stick with your tactics, full stop, end of story. Agree that it's the equivilent of yelling from the touchline.

Bringing Leeds back up to the Prem was difficult, but I managed to establish myself by beating the weaker and mid-teams with direct attacking play, and I have a cracking tactic that works against the bigger teams: slow, short passing in a 4-1-4-1 defensive tactic, keep it 0-0 for as long as poss. On 70 mins I go 4-3-3 all out attack until I score (usually on 75-85mins, or not at all), then go back to my original formation for closing stages, adding maximum "time wasting". If the opposition score in the first half, I go attacking until I equalise, then back to defensive.

Limiting the tactics to half-time and pre-match would stop users from mixing up the action, and reduce our options. More importantly, it would be completely unrealistic (yeah, I know, the AI match engine "cheats", but they're fixing the shooting statistic bug).

Final "fanboy" point: you can pause the game like I do when you alter your match tactics mid-game. Hit "confirm" when you're done, then "play" and it gets to changing your tactics faster.

One niggle I do have is that you can't cancel your changes whilst we're waiting. An injury or red card or even the AI scoring against you changes your plans. How many times do we see managers IRL changing their minds about subs at the last minute?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i know its an ongoing dispute but i want my own say </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want your say in a game you can't be bother to pay for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

And yes I know someone will say it is more realistic, but only marginally. In real life the game lasts 90 minutes so taking a minute to think about a tactical change while the game goes on is neither here nor there. In game if you take a minute on the tactics screen while you let the game go on you've usually missed 5-10 minutes of the game by the time you return to it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I always press the spacebar to pause anyway but it is a bit annoying. I can live with though.

Yeah, the mid game tactics still need some work as far as im concerned. I think you have too much detail on telling your players what to do mid game, plus it over complicates things, and im not THAT of a patient player that i dont mind my matches lasting 15 minutes each.

My idea is, during the game (except half time)

subs of course

formation changes and arrows

deep or push up

pressing

mentality

all the other stuff should be only allowed at half or pre game. Its just too much for me, too many tweaks too often is making the game slow and quite boring

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

This is one of those instances where realism doesn't matter. The game is better for allowing you to spot problems and correct them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. Having realism in for realism's sake is wrong when it's to the detriment of the game experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a gamer's answer rather than a football fan's...

realism every time for me... the game is currently nothing short of a joke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mossga:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

Totally agree. Having realism in for realism's sake is wrong when it's to the detriment of the game experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a gamer's answer rather than a football fan's...

realism every time for me... the game is currently nothing short of a joke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

I love that when people would register to a forum so they can post some random rants. They made the place far more entertaining than it would be. wp icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Agreed - as a long-time computer user with occasional wrist pain, I'm not in favor of any game mechanic which puts me in a race against time. I wish for an option like

"Automatically pause when I go in to Tactics", just like it used to.

It may "Not be realistic to have an infinite amount of time to tweak and toy", but that's not what I'm worried about, its more like "It takes me longer (in game time) to drag three subs onto the screen than it does for a real manager to say, "Smith, on for Jones on the left. Tomson, you go in for Richards as a striker, Matthews, you'll be right back. Go." ... assuming that those three have been warming up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't turning off the matchday experience option in the preferences change it back to the old style of pausing when you make tactical changes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

You want your say in a game you can't be bother to pay for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what I'm talking about, thief.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You know what I'm talking about, thief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, im surprised this thread is still open.. or even still here!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rinso:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You know what I'm talking about, thief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, im surprised this thread is still open.. or even still here!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why?

Archived