Football Manager 2008 = Complete Disaster

I'm sorry but the match engine is still absolutely ridiculous.

- The amount of goals being scored from long distances is wholly unrealistic.

- The vast number of goals being scored from corners is beyond the state of a joke.

-As for the general amount of goals during a season - quite sickening. No enjoyment constantly seeing matches with an average of 6+ goals. Do 0-0's exist in this shoody game anymore ?

Football Manager 2008 is widely renowned as a huge flop.

I don't even think SI are capable of creating a decent 8.0.3 patch, yet alone actually producing an 8.0.3 patch to finally make this game playable/enjoyable.

A lot of loyal customers feel extremely let down by this edition of FM.

Every effort should be made to fix the faults still remaining ASAP.

Only a successful 8.0.3 can save what little face you have left.

FM 08 = icon13.gif

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The vast number of goals being scored from corners is beyond the state of a joke.

-As for the general amount of goals during a season - quite sickening. No enjoyment constantly seeing matches with an average of 6+ goals. Do 0-0's exist in this shoody game anymore ?

I don't even think SI are capable of creating a decent 8.0.3 patch, yet alone actually producing an 8.0.3 patch to finally make this game playable/enjoyable.

FM 08 = icon13.gif

For goodness sake! I'm tired of ridiculous posts like this! FM 2008 has NEVER been unplayable. Yes there were some issues in the beginning but 8.0.2 has really sorted them. The only slight niggle is the board confidence (which can be iffy) but I certainly do not experience too many goals per game, 100s of goals from corners, Mother Teresa leading pitch invasions, Gandhi as Ass Man, etc. IT IS A GAME NOT THE CHANCE TO ACTUALLY MANAGE A REAL TEAM. I wish people would not clog up the forums with nonsense posts. Well done SI, another immensely enjoyable and addictive game, I look forward to FM 2009! icon_smile.gificon14.gif

I agree with skintsaint I rarely find any bugs to be apparent or effective on my games, the only thing that disapointed me was the finishing in 8.0.1, maybe in8.0.2 there is more goals maybe to many goals but its a game at the end of the day so its not gonna be easy to get it bang on. Before people moaned about the lack of goals and now its too many goals. I just find the game enjoyable nowadays when the wife allows me an hour on the laptop lol.

To say the games a complete disaster is way too far maybe its not as good as 07 and 06 or even 01/02 but the only way the game will improve in coming years is with good feedback from fans of the series, I have loved the series for years so there is no doubt I will give my feedback and not give up on such a great series of games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justme87:

Football Manager 2008 is widely renowned as a huge flop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Widely renowned? I can't even take any of your post seriously when you make such rediculous statements as this.

Considering the game's been number 1 in the PC charts for a good number of weeks it seems highly unlikely that it's widely renowned as a huge flop.

Or have you conducted an extensive survey to support this rediculous statement? If so please provide the results so I can actually consider taking anything you say seriously icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To be honest if I didnt read these forums I wouldnt know what bugs where about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I didn't realise many problems with CM4 tbh till i started on these forums :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justme87:

Widely renowned? I can't even take any of your post seriously when you make such rediculous statements as this.

Considering the game's been number 1 in the PC charts for a good number of weeks it seems highly unlikely that it's widely renowned as a huge flop.

Or have you conducted an extensive survey to support this rediculous statement? If so please provide the results so I can actually consider taking anything you say seriously icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also can't take you seriously due to your atrocious spelling and slight repetition.

As for FM being numero uno in the charts - That's no surprise considering the lack of competition. And the competition there is are equally poor(even worse, TBH).

Gone are the days when you can have a serious career in FM. The realism has evaporated.

It's pointless spending hours on training and tactics because the match engine is so unbalanced.

Also, what is it with possession ? - That is another issue within the game. Eg : You could win matches 5-0 and yet only have 40% possession.

Being top of a list because of sales based on past rep and because 'its better than the others' is hardly grounds for positive thinking though is it?

Suppose it all depends how you define 'most realistic' and 'critically acclaimed' - think the critics (if you include a lot of people who post on here) won't be acclaiming this one!

I really get the feeling they have tried to do too much and now the game is beyond fixing to a certain degree ... while it is only a game it does claim to be a realistic simulation. It appears every 'fix' creates more problems. Having to not use challenge gk is 'realistic'? Not being able to sell good players or even give them away 'realistic'? Not ground breakers but still problems.

I am still enjoying it to a large degree BUT there is no arguing that FM08 was a flawed release based on/compared to past glories. The sad thing is the games industry can and does get away with this sort of thing all the time and you have no real comeback as a purchaser.

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drambuie2:

I am still enjoying it to a large degree BUT there is no arguing that FM08 was a flawed release based on/compared to past glories. The sad thing is the games industry can and does get away with this sort of thing all the time and you have no real comeback as a purchaser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really depends on what you expect from the game. So many of the complaints (and let's face it - hysterical posts) are about peoples perception of the game as "unrealistic" - which is subjective anyway.

Perhaps if people started appreciated that they were playing a game rather than a 'perfect football simulator' and tried to enjoy the game on it's own merits they would be happier.

People being people though - it's not likely to happen any time soon.

I don't like to get involved in these little arguements but ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Football Manager 2008 is widely renowned as a huge flop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a terrible statement. You could say that is because of past reputation bu the fact its still the no.1 best selling PC game at one of the biggests stores in britain says it all really. People that are still buying the game now have obviously had the option to read reviews and play the demo. You do raise some valid points although i personally haven't noticed the corners or the long-shots and only had slightly higher scoring game, but i know others have seen these much more extreme. You need to scrap all the assumptions and scrap making ridiculous statements then you will get more people replying constructively to your post.

What level are those having problems playing at?

I found that before I started a new game that at higher levels defending was very solid, and it was easier to build a rock solid formation than ever before.

But when I went back to lower league management in Sweden I found that this was very unbalanced.

As you would expect the technical standards of the players is poor across the board but where I think there is an issue is that defenders are absolutely woeful, whilst strikers and midfielders capitalise on any little error and even though they have simalarly poor attributes they cut through defences like butter with neat little one two and intricate passing moves.

This is blatently not right- and means that at lower levels the art of defending may as well be ignored unless you can get really good players in.

Its so unbalanced its not true imo.

Oh and I see a goal scored from corners every single game at this level too.

And its not just the exploit either, its that bloody near post corner. Putting everyone on man-marking does help (as lets face it players on posts in FM do virtually nothing), but then for some reason that player at the near post is left totally unmarked with a player deciding to close down the corner taker for no reason- and you know its gonna be a goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

Or have you conducted an extensive survey to support this rediculous statement? If so please provide the results so I can actually consider taking anything you say seriously icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also can't take you seriously due to your atrocious spelling and slight repetition.

As for FM being numero uno in the charts - That's no surprise considering the lack of competition. And the competition there is are equally poor(even worse, TBH).

Gone are the days when you can have a serious career in FM. The realism has evaporated.

It's pointless spending hours on training and tactics because the match engine is so unbalanced.

Also, what is it with possession ? - That is another issue within the game. Eg : You could win matches 5-0 and yet only have 40% possession. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you really want to be that pedantic and point out that I spelt ridiculous wrong twice then can you look back over your opening post and tell me what shoody means?

And I completely disagree that the days where you can have a serious carrer in FM are gone. I'm currently in 2020 with Gateshead (still on the 8.0.1 patch because I say no problems with it tbh) and I'm immensely enjoying it.

I do understand that some people are finding some areas of the game frustrating. Unfortunately you've made some daft statements which I can only assume are based on comments you've read on here rather than any actual facts.

And how can you say that FM has no competition in the PC charts? It may not have competition from other football manager sims but there are plenty of other quality PC games out there of different genres. The fact that FM is above all of those tells me it's still the most addictive and widely played PC game there is, which hardly supports you argument that it's 'a huge flop' or that 'a lot of loyal customers feel let down'.

If it's not enjoyable for you then fine. Either trade it and play something else or attempt to put forward some reasonable argument as to what you think need to be improved and how you think SI could improve it. Don't just make incorrect, generalised statements that immediately take away any credibility that your arguments may have had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by George Graham:-

I found that before I started a new game that at higher levels defending was very solid, and it was easier to build a rock solid formation than ever before.

But when I went back to lower league management in Sweden I found that this was very unbalanced.

As you would expect the technical standards of the players is poor across the board but where I think there is an issue is that defenders are absolutely woeful, whilst strikers and midfielders capitalise on any little error and even though they have simalarly poor attributes they cut through defences like butter with neat little one two and intricate passing moves.

This is blatently not right- and means that at lower levels the art of defending may as well be ignored unless you can get really good players in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

My opinion on it that in real life football setting up solidly and defending is easier than attacking and creating chances. It can take a moment of genius to unlock a sturdy defence but an average player who is physically matched with his opponent can do a pretty decent job defensively by sticking to his man tightly and getting in his face to nullify the threat. As George Graham says the balance seems to be the wrong way around at the moment.

I'm not saying that there is no art to defending and that any old schmuck can be Baresi, but it is alot easier to train/teach someone to position themselves better defensively than to turn them into an attacking force with the technique, vision and reading of the game to be a consistent attacking threat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

To be honest if I didnt read these forums I wouldnt know what bugs where about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I've been playing CM since 97/98 and have never been a big internet user, this is the first ever game i've patched. There have been bugs in previous games but i've been slightly oblivious to them and ignored any I did notice.

I think I only patched this one because I signed up to the forums, otherwise I would have probably ignored the patch again.

I'm currently still using 8.0.1, because I don't like 8.0.2 and I was achieving success with no serious problems in my 8.0.1 saves. I don't think 8.0.2 is seriously flawed I just don't like it and prefer 8.0.1.

I have seen the bugs, but I also feel they have been addressed rather well by 8.0.2

Ever since I got the new patch I have enjoyed this game tremendously, I do not see any of the stuff written in the first post, there are plenty of 0-0 games and I rarely see these long shot goals and there are a normal amount of corners scored in the many games I have played thus far.

Can't please everyone I suppose, there will always be nay sayers, I am just not one of them anymore, I like 8.0.2

1. It's playable

2. I've seen some bugs reported that I wouldn't even be aware of but that's because they in no way effect me at all and if it wasn't for this forum you wouldn't know about some

3. There's a number of other football management games out there so if you dislike FM that much go and try them

FM 08 = icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - goals conceded from long range are due to your tactics - easily fixed.

2 - goals scored from corners can be fixed with about 3 mouse clicks - stop moaning and just fix it ffs

3 - my team average 2.1 goals per game and 0.3 conceded per game - hardly unrealistic - again if the games are high scoring it is due to your tactics. 0-0s exist, you're tactics are just not defensive enough for them to happen.

As to your other post, regarding possession and tactics:

1/ possession is related solely to tactics - if your team only have 40% IT'S YOUR FAULT.

2/ Unbalanced match engine? Let's stop being daft, it works if your tactics are sound.

The survey done pre-8.0.2 showed that the MAJORITY of forum users liked the game - a post 8.0.2 survey would show numbers around the 80% mark for people who like the game (speculation but i'd put money behind it).

8.0.0 was a dismal effort - and was rightly moaned about.

8.0.1 was an improvement but many (including myself) felt it was still not enjoyable - although FAR MORE did think it was playable.

8.0.2 has improved dramatically - the only outstanding issue that has no work around is board confidence.

8.0.3 is not needed.

A typically uneducated moan, full of unsubstantiated assumptions. All of the problems you mentioned can be fixed - BY YOU.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Football Manager 2008 is widely renowned as a huge flop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A lot of loyal customers feel extremely let down by this edition of FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

P.S That's ridiculous unless you back it up with evidence

I look at these posts sometimes and wonder if I have downloaded some magical patch from a parallel universe. I rarely see long shots go in. I maybe have had 5 in total through a season for my team and not many more against me. I maybe score 5-8 goals a season from corners which is perfectly realistic. I'll admit there are times when there seems to be a lot of goals scored but I also go through lean spells. I have had plenty of 0-0's. For me, the patch is superb, I know a lot of people don't like it but it is all about opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suttface:

For goodness sake! I'm tired of ridiculous posts like this! FM 2008 has NEVER been unplayable. Yes there were some issues in the beginning but 8.0.2 has really sorted them. The only slight niggle is the board confidence (which can be iffy) but I certainly do not experience too many goals per game, 100s of goals from corners, Mother Teresa leading pitch invasions, Gandhi as Ass Man, etc. IT IS A GAME NOT THE CHANCE TO ACTUALLY MANAGE A REAL TEAM. I wish people would not clog up the forums with nonsense posts. Well done SI, another immensely enjoyable and addictive game, I look forward to FM 2009! icon_smile.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice one mate icon_biggrin.gif

not that i'm a fanboy, but the thought of Gandhi saying:

'The board won't give us more money? Who cares about ultimatums? I'll sit here and go on a hunger strike!'

and the thought of mother theresa invading the pitch...LOL

nice work Suttface.

I don't think a patch (e.g. 8.0.3) is going to solve YOUR problem. So, if you really feel this way about the game, please don't hesitate to e-mail me and I'll buy it from you for a reasonable price. icon14.gif Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

2 - goals scored from corners can be fixed with about 3 mouse clicks - stop moaning and just fix it ffs

3 - my team average 2.1 goals per game and 0.3 conceded per game - hardly unrealistic - again if the games are high scoring it is due to your tactics. 0-0s exist, you're tactics are just not defensive enough for them to happen.

1/ possession is related solely to tactics - if your team only have 40% IT'S YOUR FAULT.

2/ Unbalanced match engine? Let's stop being daft, it works if your tactics are sound.

The survey done pre-8.0.2 showed that the MAJORITY of forum users liked the game - a post 8.0.2 survey would show numbers around the 80% mark for people who like the game (speculation but i'd put money behind it).

8.0.1 was an improvement but many (including myself) felt it was still not enjoyable - although FAR MORE did think it was playable.

8.0.2 has improved dramatically - the only outstanding issue that has no work around is board confidence.

8.0.3 is not needed.

A typically uneducated moan, full of unsubstantiated assumptions. All of the problems you mentioned can be fixed - BY YOU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, this old chestnut. It's your tactics.

It's my team that are scoring from 30 yards every other game from players with a single number long shots rating.(No I don't have them ordered to shoot)

It's my centre half that scores goals week in, week out from corners.

Why should I change my tactics to gain more possession win I win the majority of games anyway ?

I'm not having problems with success(Forest 7th in the Prem - near the end of my third season).

THE GAME IS SIMPLY UNREALISTIC. This can not be disputed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

To be honest if I didn't read these forums I wouldn't know what bugs where about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I concur with my learned colleague.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

8.0.3 is not needed.

A typically uneducated moan, full of unsubstantiated assumptions. All of the problems you mentioned can be fixed - BY YOU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, this old chestnut. It's your tactics.

It's my team that are scoring from 30 yards every other game from players with a single number long shots rating.(No I don't have them ordered to shoot)

It's my centre half that scores goals week in, week out from corners.

Why should I change my tactics to gain more possession win I win the majority of games anyway ?

I'm not having problems with success(Forest 7th in the Prem - near the end of my third season).

THE GAME IS SIMPLY UNREALISTIC. This can not be disputed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm afraid it might just be you. I rarely see 30 yard goals, or score from corners every game, or win 5-0 yet only have 40% of possession...

It's as realistic as you're going to get incidentally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why should I change my tactics to gain more possession win I win the majority of games anyway ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Right lads, I want you to gain more possesion without doing anything different at all"

Don't know much about football do you? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

"Right lads, I want you to gain more possesion without doing anything different at all"

Don't know much about football do you? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen, 100 points in the League One. Automatic promotion from the Championship. In a European spot in the Prem, but my team who have won most of the league matches very rarley have more possession than the opposition.

Surley this is unrealistic ?

What team will ever be successful without keeping the ball more ?

I can get over possession, but it's the crazy scorelines, constant long shot goals and corners being like penalties that infuriate me.

I can get over possession, but it's the crazy scorelines, constant long shot goals and corners being like penalties that infuriate me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would appear, given this thread, that a lot of people have never witnessed these problms or have easily found workarounds, so does that not imply that it is maybe just something you're doing wrong?

It would also go some way in disproving your rather laughable "facts" in your opening post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

Don't know much about football do you? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen, 100 points in the League One. Automatic promotion from the Championship. In a European spot in the Prem, but my team who have won most of the league matches very rarley have more possession than the opposition.

Surley this is unrealistic ?

What team will ever be successful without keeping the ball more ?

I can get over possession, but it's the crazy scorelines, constant long shot goals and corners being like penalties that infuriate me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you can write so why is it you are unable to read?

As has been explained ad nauseam, the corner bug is avoidable if you want to avoid it.

More people deny there too many goals than say there are too many.

Paul C has explained how you use logical tactics to gain mor possesion but the fact is that possesion is more often than not a sign that a team just cant find a way through.

I've finally had enough and deleted it from my PC last night.

Its far to random and I feel no control over engine. I cant control a thing here is why I have binned it.

ONE)After promotion to the Championship I was allocated 0 transfer funds. Finance "secure" The club sold 12000 more season tickets than previous pre season in Coca Cola Leaugue 1! You do the maths, result? No Spends. Playing against £3-4 million centre forwards with £40,000 Centre Halves is really mind numbingly boring and frustrating.

TWO) Despite above I've never been hammered and have tried to play counter attacking to get the odd goal back scored by the afore mentioned 4 million pound stikers. It is very very difficult to do that when the match engine has my pacey striker standing with chalk on his boots on the throw in line unmarked. Who's gonna mark him he's got another twenty yards to make up with the defender standing centre point to run in to AI goal if we do get it away. Cannot do a f****** thing about that.

THREE)A left back who's got 14 plus positioning concentration marking ect ect not marking not positioning himself and leaving the right winger unmarked because he's not concentrating! Supposed to be a good player as well cos my confidence has him a sound bit of business.

Four)The AI seems to enjoy referee favourability that Alex Ferguson would have a w*** over. Lost count and interest in the amount of times my lads have been stopped running into goal or on to long ball by previously booked AI defenders and DMF players. Once booked they could stick a knife in my attackers and still get "away with a warning" or just restart and line up for the free kick.

Five) The horrendous default skin which has lead me squinting at menus in restaurants. Gotta give it up before I have to get my eyes glazed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

It would appear, given this thread, that a lot of people have never witnessed these problms or have easily found workarounds, so does that not imply that it is maybe just something you're doing wrong?

It would also go some way in disproving your rather laughable "facts" in your opening post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I was going to say but Nomis07 has said it better.

Many people are happily enjoying the game and it is only a minority who are complaining about certain things.

Also, there have been corner issues since FM06. In '06 you could have one player lurking outside the box and get him to score tons of goals from corners. In 07 you could score a load of near post corners.

In 08 they got rid of the near post corners but over-did it so that any header made at the near post went miles wide. People complained so they changed it. Now it seems there is again an easy way to score from corners.

The solution to the above issue has long been the same. If you don't like the 'cheat' corner routines, don't use them.

The same goes for number of goals and long shots. After 8.0.1 loads of people complained that there were too many chances saved by the keeper, and not enough long shots being scored. Now this has been adjusted and people are still complaining.

You can't please everyone but that's why we have choice. In this case you can choose to play another game if you don't like this one.

Ways to help prevent this:

1) Play a high defensive line

2) Target the opposition midfielders with opposition specific instructions such as pressing, or even man mark them.

3) If you are outnumbered in central midfield, as a striker or wide man to man mark one of the midfielders concerned.

4) If you have a defensive midfielder, he may sit too deep and give them more space to do this. Push him into midfield or have him man mark one of them.

One or more of these steps may help.

Cheers,

Paul

1. What about then being caught high up the pitch and AI's notorious long balls from defence - opposition clean through on goal.

2. Valid.

3. A striker or a winger man marking ? Are you insane ? These players are your match winners, not there to stifle others.

4. Undecided.

As for your possession problem:

Below is what Paul C said in another thread in reply to someone else who seemed to be suffering the same possession problems as you -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

Its the problem where, me (as a big club like Liverpool for example) try playing a pressing possession game, I score and win but when I look at the game stats the opposition have about 70% possession and 2 of their players have basically knocked the ball between them with no view to going forward even though they are losing, while my players who are told to close down stand by and watch.

My enjoyment of the game doesnt really come from results but in style of play, this ruins my possession game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2) Target the opposition midfielders with opposition specific instructions such as pressing, or even man mark them.

3) If you are outnumbered in central midfield, as a striker or wide man to man mark one of the midfielders concerned.

4) If you have a defensive midfielder, he may sit too deep and give them more space to do this. Push him into midfield or have him man mark one of them.

Cheers,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People keep saying the corner bug is avoidable if you want it to be......maybe for offline games but not for online games. I don't care how honest a person says they are, if the option is there to exploit this issue then people are going to use it, then come back with an excuse of "i didn't set my CB on the GK".

Cheers,

Paul

1. What about then being caught high up the pitch and AI's notorious long balls from defence - opposition clean through on goal.

2. Valid.

3. A striker or a winger man marking ? Are you insane ? These players are your match winners, not there to stifle others.

4. Undecided. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - If you find this is a problem when you're using a high defensive line then give the offside trap a go. If it's still a problem then use one of the other 3 solutions provided.

3 - Man-marking a midfielder with one of your strikers or wingers will only come into effect when you lose the ball. Therefore it will make no difference to your attacking play and can be an effective way to increas your possession in midfield if that's something that's important to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jibsa:

I've finally had enough and deleted it from my PC last night.

Its far to random and I feel no control over engine. I cant control a thing here is why I have binned it.

ONE)After promotion to the Championship I was allocated 0 transfer funds. Finance "secure" The club sold 12000 more season tickets than previous pre season in Coca Cola Leaugue 1! You do the maths, result? No Spends. Playing against £3-4 million centre forwards with £40,000 Centre Halves is really mind numbingly boring and frustrating.

TWO) Despite above I've never been hammered and have tried to play counter attacking to get the odd goal back scored by the afore mentioned 4 million pound stikers. It is very very difficult to do that when the match engine has my pacey striker standing with chalk on his boots on the throw in line unmarked. Who's gonna mark him he's got another twenty yards to make up with the defender standing centre point to run in to AI goal if we do get it away. Cannot do a f****** thing about that.

THREE)A left back who's got 14 plus positioning concentration marking ect ect not marking not positioning himself and leaving the right winger unmarked because he's not concentrating! Supposed to be a good player as well cos my confidence has him a sound bit of business.

Four)The AI seems to enjoy referee favourability that Alex Ferguson would have a w*** over. Lost count and interest in the amount of times my lads have been stopped running into goal or on to long ball by previously booked AI defenders and DMF players. Once booked they could stick a knife in my attackers and still get "away with a warning" or just restart and line up for the free kick.

Five) The horrendous default skin which has lead me squinting at menus in restaurants. Gotta give it up before I have to get my eyes glazed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make some kid happy before you leave, send your copy to a 14 year old who knows something about football.

Waste not, want not as they say icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raware:

People keep saying the corner bug is avoidable if you want it to be......maybe for offline games but not for online games. I don't care how honest a person says they are, if the option is there to exploit this issue then people are going to use it, then come back with an excuse of "i didn't set my CB on the GK". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Even an offline, 1 player game - Let's say you are losing 1-0 in a cup final with time running out.

Are you telling me a manager won't take advantage of the corner opportunity ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raware:

People keep saying the corner bug is avoidable if you want it to be......maybe for offline games but not for online games. I don't care how honest a person says they are, if the option is there to exploit this issue then people are going to use it, then come back with an excuse of "i didn't set my CB on the GK". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately you can't trust people in on-line games not to use the editor or FMM either. Trust will always be an issue in on-line games and certain people will always use some kind of cheat to gain an advantage.

But I see your point. However, I'm not saying the coner thing is not a problem, just using that as one of the reasons to call the game a shambles is misguided imo.

please, lets not be so offensive. this attitude does not help anyone and not to mention any official SI response to your point will happen less likely due to your temper. Not many can claim FM08 is perfect but we can approach with more constructive critics rather than calling it disaster icon_smile.gif

Archived