Anyone finding the game hard?

I am playing as Sunderland and in last years FM I could finish about 7th or 8th pretty easy. At the moment I am 12th and am losing alot of games to teams I would have beaten in FM08. No matter what tactic I use I find my strikers dont score hardly any goals. I have also had a go with a couple of other teams and found it even harder than with the team I support.

I will continue to play the game and keep going until I can get a decent tactic going so far it just seems hard to play even when I download tactics or make my own. Is anyone finding this game alot harder than any other since the change to being called Football Manager?

I'm not sure yet. I'm having a little more success but then again I'm using opposition instructions now thanks to the Assistant advice which I never used before. I wasn't sure who to close down etc.. I sort of wing it until half time and hope it doesnt go too bad, then I tweak everything for the 2nd half.

i find it alot harder than the previous

i seem to get totally dominated in every second half by any team does my head in!

ive put celtic & rangers in the premiership as i find the spl boring, fm08 i used to be battling for a european spot to start with but in 09 im fighting relegation

I've never used the editor, I don't like to change how the game is meant to be, but this is actually a good idea. I sometimes load the scottish leagues in case I want to manage Celtic or Rangers in the future but this would be better.

Do you have 22 teams in the prem then? Or relegate as necessary lol.

Just realised one downside to this, you will end up with Aberdeen or someone like that in the Champions Leage lol.

Without straying too far into a tactics discussion, I have tried to make my own 4-4-2 diamond and got hammered. I have downloaded a few tactics and while results improved it did seem random at times, I beat Arsenal 1-0 at home but lost to Crystal Palace 1-0 at home, draw with Man Utd 1-1 away but lost 3-1 to Portsmouth away. It gets so frustrating at times, I was thinking of starting as an easier team than Sunderland someone like Man City, Shakhtar, Ajax, Spurs or someone with a bit of cash and an easier league yo try and develope a tactic that works.

I really want to create my own tactics but find it hard to set every thing right I dont understand people changing width and the quickness at which the teams play depending on the opposition.

If you have 3d working you can really see where you go wrong. Most of my wins with Arsenal are 1-0 but at least they are wins!! In fact apart from my 4-1 win against Galatasaray and pre-season friendlies there all 1-0 or 1-1. I'm really getting into now I feel my tactics and changes make a difference. Before it was all pot luck to me.

I gave you a good tactic but you still can't win? I am sat at the top of the league using the same tactic. Maybe you do not know how to man manage or pick the right players for the right positions. I think you make poor manager decisions.

I'm finding it well balanced. I'm playing with Man united and I am doing great in the league, unbeaten so far. Then lost to Celtic in the CL, went out to watford in the league cup, and then the week later won Chelsea 3-2 at Stanford Bridge...I had 3 shots on tagrte and scored them all, they had 9...but it went in my favour so I won't complain ;)

I gave you a good tactic but you still can't win? I am sat at the top of the league using the same tactic. Maybe you do not know how to man manage or pick the right players for the right positions. I think you make poor manager decisions.

I never really tried your tactic as I dont have the players to play 2 upfront as Cisse is my only other striker and he is extremely poor on the game so had to switch to 1 upfront. Wasnt your tactic for Leeds the best team in their division? I am sure its a good tactic but not having 2 decent strikers it is hard to use a 4-4-2 lol.

Going to try as Ajax should be a bit easier and give me time to develope a tactic that can actually work, I am just in a bad mood as I cant get my side to win.

Well I'm finding it pretty difficult so far, but admittedly I'm managing Newcastle so expected nothing less. lol

They're my team so I always start with them first so I've not played as anybody else, was going to give it a try maybe tonight or tomorrow with a different team and see how things go.

I am playing as Sunderland and in last years FM I could finish about 7th or 8th pretty easy. At the moment I am 12th and am losing alot of games to teams I would have beaten in FM08. No matter what tactic I use I find my strikers dont score hardly any goals. I have also had a go with a couple of other teams and found it even harder than with the team I support.

I will continue to play the game and keep going until I can get a decent tactic going so far it just seems hard to play even when I download tactics or make my own. Is anyone finding this game alot harder than any other since the change to being called Football Manager?

But surely the game is supposed to be challenging...otherwise, what's the point?

Yeah I think I was just ranting really, get carried away sometimes just seems that nothing goes right. Need to sit down and have a proper go I keep telling my self if I avoid relegation then thats a decent season then build on it but I get too annoyed. Maybe its a case of FM08 being a bit too easy rather than FM098 being too hard.

Yes and no. I'm playing as Newcastle with transfer budgets in the first window turned off so, I haven't been able to buy or even loan anyone. I'm 7th after 12 games, just been taken over and I've been given a whopping £3m for the January sales.

Seems pretty fair.

Since my last post there have been some more variety in my results. I've won by bigger margins, my last 1-0 win was against chelsea so no complaints there! :) I drew 0-0 against Everton who are top and I would of been top if I'd of won.

Seriously, if you have a half decent assistant, listen to him! I was really bad on FM08 and if I can do well then the rest of you can!

Archived