Make Me Chairman?

Before you read on, this isn't another I want own/buy my own club threads.

I just bought FM08, installed it and was setting up the preferences to how I like my FM to be, when I stumbled across the extra files. One of which, being "make_me_chairman". Now, presumably this is either the, "Make it so I can't get sacked" option, or the "I want to be able to buy a club" option.

As anyone else seen, or in fact used this yet?

Before you read on, this isn't another I want own/buy my own club threads.

I just bought FM08, installed it and was setting up the preferences to how I like my FM to be, when I stumbled across the extra files. One of which, being "make_me_chairman". Now, presumably this is either the, "Make it so I can't get sacked" option, or the "I want to be able to buy a club" option.

As anyone else seen, or in fact used this yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

i suggest looking in the manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not in the manual, thus the post the forum. icon_wink.gif

HHUK - that seems fairly logical, rather pleased as I did think would be strange for SI to include that feature.

• SI Staff

This is indeed the opportunity to specify any person(s) you may wish to takeover as chairman of clubs that you specify. Locate the make_me_chairman.edt file in your data folder, open it with notepad and follow the instructions within the file. You will need to start a new game for any changes you make to this file to take effect.

It does not link directly to your manager profile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Astro Star:

Good, but I create a new profile as to buy a club? eg: Can I create Bill Gates profile, make him sugar daddy, and let him buy small clubs such as Cyrstal Palace, Getafe or Reginna? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would imagine thats quite possible tbh icon_smile.gificon14.gif if its all set up right in the notepad etc and they all link well then he would be able to buy one of them yes icon14.gif

I am interested in making this option.How soon I will be able to become chairman, and as far as really, making changes to this file:

## Board Takeovers ##

# You can edit this config file to give yourself the chance of becoming chairman of your favourite club. This should take the following format:

# CP_FIRST_NAME, CP_COMMON_NAME, CP_SECOND_NAME, CP_DATE_OF_BIRTH, CP_NATIONALITY, CP_FAVOURITE_TEAM, CP_NATION, CP_NUMBER, CP_STRING

# For example. you might write the following:

# "BOARD_TAKEOVER" "Joe" "" "Bloggs" "01.01.1980" "England" "Ipswich" "England" "" "Media Corner Ltd"

# Don't worry about the CP_NUMBER field for now as this is not currently used.

# If you leave the favourite_team field blank, it will choose you a team in the specified FAVOURITE_NATION i.e. any club in England. If you specify a favourite team, it will not link you to any other teams.

# Simply copy and paste the line beginning "BOARD_TAKEOVER" "Joe"... at the bottom of this file, remembering to remove the # sign from the start of the line and fill in your own details. Then ensure the 'make_me_chairman' box is ticked in the 'Extra Data' section of Preferences on the FM 2008 intro screen.

# You must start a new game for these changes to take effect.

"BOARD_TAKEOVER" "Mark" "" "Ferman" "25.10.1974" "Holland" "Valencia" "Spain" "" "Media Corner Ltd"

my change is last line!

How it works???

I think there will be some kind of takeover and the guy you just named will be the new chairman.

Of course, it will be drawn out like most takeovers, so make sure you know what you're getting into before having your transfers embargoed. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chao Yang:

That debate has long been discussed over and over. Why be a chairman, seriously? This is a football managing game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS

What possible features, without turning FM into some arcade dross, could Chairmanship possibly lend an already superior game?

I'd rather existing features and new management features were evolved rather tha wasting time developing ways to go about setting up a new chip van for doris who's married to the kit man.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why be a chairman, seriously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to be a chairman but I would like to see the 'decision to build a new stadium' module of board behaviour get an overhaul.

I have read people's stories of the board investing in new stadiums and practically bankrupting a club.

I had a similar thing except at the other end of the ridiculous scale where my current stadium held 19000 and the board decided to build a new stadium costing 80m that would hold 25000. I'm no financial expert but to me 80m for an extra 6000 seats is a crap investment.

Isn't this just a vanity feature in that you, or whoever you specify in the config, will possibly be named as taking over the club at some future date, but you will not actually be able to PLAY the game as a chairman, similar to creating a regen player with your own name - you can't actually play the game as a player?

Or have I got crossed wires here?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fidney:

Isn't this just a vanity feature in that you, or whoever you specify in the config, will possibly be named as taking over the club at some future date, but you will not actually be able to PLAY the game as a chairman, similar to creating a regen player with your own name - you can't actually play the game as a player?

Or have I got crossed wires here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it has to be you. It could be any potential chairman.

So if I wanted to, I could make Mr. Blobby to attempt to buy QPR.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fidney:

Or have I got crossed wires here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's how I interpreted it, don't think you have any say over stadium expansion etc.

If you open up that file (it's in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db\[YOUR DATABASE NAME]\edt if you made a custom database or Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\data\db\800 for the default database), the instructions are right there in the file.

These same instructions were posted by reyder in this thread. The file actually tells you to copy and paste the line, just filling in your information and removing the # from the beginning of the line.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redking:

anybody got this working yet.i've done what it says in file.i start a game and nothing happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll take a while to show up matey. The preference will be logged, and next time the club is up for a takeover, you'll be touted as one of the interested parties.

Now, at a club with a stable board, that won't be likely to happen. However, if it's a club with a good chance of a takeover happening in real life, you'd stand a better chance there. So, patience icon14.gif

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest RicToon24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick:

This is indeed the opportunity to specify any person(s) you may wish to takeover as chairman of clubs that you specify. Locate the make_me_chairman.edt file in your data folder, open it with notepad and follow the instructions within the file. You will need to start a new game for any changes you make to this file to take effect.

where do i find all these files to edit?

It does not link directly to your manager profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr.Plimp:

the last one in the thing, Media Corner LTD...can you change that at all? What does that actually mean, is it the company of the person or does it have to be left the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it's just the company that the person owns or represents or whatever. Change it to what you want like "Dr. Plimp's Blimps Pty. Ltd.". icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew bowditch:

ok ive done this but say for example i want to take over man utds board, ok i know they are pretty stable, but is there some way in the editor that i can make them more unstable and open to takeover? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont wana wait 40 years for a take over attempt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew bowditch:

ok ive done this but say for example i want to take over man utds board, ok i know they are pretty stable, but is there some way in the editor that i can make them more unstable and open to takeover? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont wana wait 40 years for a take over attempt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ok ive done this but say for example i want to take over man utds board, ok i know they are pretty stable, but is there some way in the editor that i can make them more unstable and open to takeover? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could try reducing the chairmans stats so he's more open to leaving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDoul:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chao Yang:

That debate has long been discussed over and over. Why be a chairman, seriously? This is a football managing game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS

What possible features, without turning FM into some arcade dross, could Chairmanship possibly lend an already superior game?

I'd rather existing features and new management features were evolved rather tha wasting time developing ways to go about setting up a new chip van for doris who's married to the kit man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to see new features regarding board meetings, where you as the manager are present and get to put your input as to the direction the club should take and depending on your boards attributes they can take it more or less into consideration. I know we have the request feature but you can't use it as often as one might like and the ultimatum feature is pretty much a 90% chance of becoming unemployed.

• 1 month later...

i dont wana wait 40 years for a take over attempt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, let's take the example of George Gillett

Make Liverpool 100 on his disliked clubs

Change his board and fan confidence to something low like 5 (not 0 because that's random).

He will now listen to any offers.

Archived