Closed Thread

Thread: Make or Break

Part-Timer

Who thinks that FM 09 wil be the make or break for football manager? Personally if 2009 is going to be as bugged as this version many customers may take a break from fm and profits will fall. However, like most of us hope, should 09 be improved to our satsifaction it could be a 'fresh start' for SI and its game. It could start a game that acts on its current features and makes sure that its prority is to make sure that its game is near flawless? Do you think this years edition could be make or break time for SI and FM? No pressure SI!

Part-Timer

Who thinks that FM 09 wil be the make or break for football manager? Personally if 2009 is going to be as bugged as this version many customers may take a break from fm and profits will fall. However, like most of us hope, should 09 be improved to our satsifaction it could be a 'fresh start' for SI and its game. It could start a game that acts on its current features and makes sure that its prority is to make sure that its game is near flawless? Do you think this years edition could be make or break time for SI and FM? No pressure SI!

Youth Team

The same question is asked every year and every time the sales figures answer the question quite in an emphatic manner.

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:
    The same question is asked every year and every time the sales figures answer the question quite in an emphatic manner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted for emphasism. This game has sold tons and Si have nothing to worry about as people will always buy this game. It's not even half as bad as people are saying. You tend to get a distorted view when you come on 'These Forums' and you start to notice bugs that weren't there the last time you played.

Amateur

i dont even find anything wrong with this game. shot ratio is normal as i get like 10-15 shots a game, i can consistantly keep winning. what is the big deal?

Amateur

Boring.

Part-Timer

so's your face.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hazzydeepy:
    so's your face. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hahaha, guess you were last in line when witticisms were being handed out?

First Team
    I will sing for you, when you've begged me AND YOU WILL BEG ME!

nothing will stop peeps buying 09 in the hope of a better game. i personally haven't got any major issues, but the amount of pressure on SI from FM newborns should provoke an overhaul. i just hope it isn't simplified.

Amateur

I always want another options for football sims but sadly there are not.

And SI know this well too.

Part-Timer
    Dafuge's Challenge - King's Lynn - Dorey, Neil and Bowen, living legends!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rickooko:

And SI know this well too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you think there is no competition? Plenty of people have tried making management sims, go and buy one of them and compare it to FM.

Part-Timer

I agree rickooko, the way for SI to up their game would be for some other company to make a football sim that could rival fm.

Part-Timer

There are plenty,gypsum but one needs to be able to rival fm.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rickooko:

Why do you think there is no competition? Plenty of people have tried making management sims, go and buy one of them and compare it to FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did and they fail.

Part-Timer

Im sure they do

Amateur

FM 09 will not "make or break" SI, bugs are not their main problem.

The main thing which will stop people buying FM will be if SI keep on releasing the same game with not many changes. Most reviews talk about "evolution rather than revolution", which means SI are not making major changes to the game but very minor ones.

SI need something revolutionary, like when the 2d match engine was first implemented.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ljdzsgffk:
    FM 09 will not "make or break" SI, bugs are not their main problem.

The main thing which will stop people buying FM will be if SI keep on releasing the same game with not many changes. Most reviews talk about "evolution rather than revolution", which means SI are not making major changes to the game but very minor ones.

SI need something revolutionary, like when the 2d match engine was first implemented. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, if there are not many good or big changes, many gamers might just stick with the old game, especially they are on a good career game.

However, in order to make big and good changes for FM09, and which is not as bugged as FM08, i dont think a year is enough.

Part-Timer

yeh i suppose you are right. But what can SI implement? 3-d pitch that will be flawed for a few years by which time they will need another 'wow' feature?

Amateur

I think the only possible big move, other than a 3D engine (which shouldnt be considered in a few years time imo), is online gaming feature.

I think SI is already working on that.

Part-Timer
    Dafuge's Challenge - King's Lynn - Dorey, Neil and Bowen, living legends!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:

Why do you think there is no competition? Plenty of people have tried making management sims, go and buy one of them and compare it to FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did and they fail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. It would be no bad thing to have a bit of competition, but it's a bit harsh to somehow blame SI for making a game which nobody can come close to making. It's like blaming Schumacher for making F1 boring. It wasn't his fault that nobody was good enough to push him.

It's especially difficult when the very nature of the game you are making is unpredictable. Rather than a shoot 'em up where you know shooting someone in the face should kill them, in football there is no guarantee that playing a team of stars will beat a lower league team threatened with bankrutcy and relegation. (Liverpool v Luton anyone?)

The fact is, even if SI managed to make a perfect simulation of football management, it would still be easy to draw up a list of things you think are bugs in the match engine.

Part-Timer

true Gypsum, very good point.

Amateur

FM 09 will be a success, the game is a franchise and will continue to be ahead of its competitors.

i think the risk in when they bring out FM live.

Reserves

I would have thought that the fact that no other company can make a game that rivals Football Manager should tell you a lot about Football Manager.

Closed Thread