Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• SI Staff

This post lists all current known issues and their solutions. If you have an issue not listed please post here and we will attempt to get you up and running. Please note that this thread will be moderated tightly and any stray posts or abuse will be removed.

FOOTBALL MANAGER 09 – FAQ GUIDE

Please read the information below, the suggestions have been confirmed as fixing the issues you are experiencing.

I own a MAC – what’s the problem?

Mac users have nothing to worry about there is no activation on the game for MAC users, just the normal disc check. Mac Book Air users will need an external Optical drive in order to play – we are currently looking into options for this.

ALL USERS PLEASE DO THIS FIRST

Please check the ‘Football_Manager_2009_InstallLog.log’ located in ‘C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009’ and report any errors. If you do have errors can you please also report where you purchased the game from.

When I try to activate, it says I'm not connected to the internet / other activation problems

We have created a small activator script that should help anybody having trouble activating the game online.

Step 1 – Download the activator from http://www.footballmanager.com/fixv2.zip

Step 2 – Unzip the contents of the activator to your desktop.

Step 3 – Double click the activate.vbs file. Note the screen shot below.

pic1.jpg

Step 4 – Next you will see a dialog box prompting you for your license key.

pic2.jpg

Step 5 – Enter your license key into the dialog. Remember – to check your key at http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

Step 6 – Press OK - then wait 30-60 seconds and you will receive a second message. If you are successful – the message will read:

pic3.jpg

If you get this message, open the game and run it.

If the activation fails, the message will read something like:

pic4.jpg

The number in this message will help us understand the problem. For example, In this case the number -1003 indicates that your license key. If the error is -1003 enter your license key into the form at: http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

If it is something besides -1003, please send Muzchap or JMordetsky a PM and they will do their best to help!

I’m receiving the Error [-10] what can I do?

Fix: The error 10 is related to not being able see the server correctly; this could be due to a firewall blockage or ‘proxy’ issue. We are investigating further, but do have a workaround – please can you call one of the Customer Services numbers below and an Operator will talk you through activation:

UK* - 0871 010 8002

FR - 08 20 37 61 58

All other number for support and their territories can be found here:

http://www.sega.co.uk/support/

I’ve installed the game where are the files located?

Fix: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

You are receiving a [-703] error:We were unable to process your unlock request. To receive a new key please visit sigames.com

Fix: This indicates that the server is busy and has been unable to fulfill your request, please do keep trying, it will authenticate.

Phone activation fails - Drops out after 3rd key issue

Fix: This happens because the original key entered was incorrect and the phone line cannot validate the request. Please recheck the original 26 character key entered, you should validate your key (if possible) via the following URL: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

You are receiving an Error [-821]

Scenario: Install and activate with activation code on Steam and it works then launch the game, SoftAnchor asking to re-enter activation code.

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

You are receiving an Error [-1003]

Fix: You are entering the key incorrectly please visit the following URL to correctly identify your key - http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Error: You are receiving the Error ‘Product Key already Active’ message

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation program and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Error: You are receiving the Error [-51] / [-52] message

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation program and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Note: If the above does not fix it – please check the following:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data is not set to read only.

• Also check that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate are not set to read only!

To check if a file or folder is read only, please right click the folder and select ‘Properties’ from the dropdown, you should the see a box at the bottom called Attributes – please ensure this is unticked or does not have a green square inside.

• Another way it could happen is if there is another instance of FM.exe or Activator.exe holding onto our certificate. In this case - the user should check the process list to see if another instance of FM.exe is open. If so - close it first.

To do this you need to open Task Manager (right click TaskBar, or CTRL+ALT+DEL), sort the Image Name column by clicking on it and identifying if Activator.exe or FM.exe are running. If they are highlight and click ‘End Task’

You launch the game via Steam and nothing happens

Please raise a support ticket at the Valve website: https://support.steampowered.com/

When launching the game you receive the following Error: “FM.exe application error. The application has failed to initialize correctly (0xC0150002). Click on OK to stop the application.

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certification%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

I installed through Steam and cannot start the game or create a shortcut, or running without Steam being active

Fix: If installed via Steam, you can find the game executable (exe) at the following location:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009

If you double click this the game will launch, you can also create a shortcut to this location on your desktop.

I installed through Steam and I can't find my Data Editor Or Resource Archiver.

These are both located in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

I installed through Steam and now I get an annoying block of colour on my screen (bottom right hand corner)

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila

You receive an error when trying to install the Patch - digital signature issue (Vista)

Fix:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe (if you don’t know how to see guide below)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

Quick Guide to Creating a shortcut:

1. Right click on an empty space on the desktop to open the context menu

2. Select New

3. Select Shortcut with a left-click

4. In the location box type cmd /k Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON 5. Select Next

6. Name your shortcut and push Finish

You are receiving the error: ‘FM2009 could not run as ‘facegen’ was unable to initialize!’

Fix: Please install the Patch, and ensure your graphics drivers are up to date

You are receiving the error: ‘This application has failed to start because saAuditMD.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

Fix: Please download the file from here and place in the following folder: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

http://downloads.sigames.com/download/saAuditMD.zip

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Temporary fixes for users having their game freezing

One solution to this is playing the game in Windowed Mode. Instructions on how to setup the game in windowed mode can be found in another thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64936

Another solution could be to turn off stadiums and shadows.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bcooper: I got it freely because i`m a german researcher. I tried the UK-number and it worked, but after the 3rd code the voice said, that they were unable to activate the game. i tried it again and again but mostly the voice told me numbers, which didn´t work.

• SI Staff
I have tried your solution of downlaoding directx SDK and it takes hours to download.

Mine got half way through and just stopped. Is there any way of making it download quicker and any ideas why it might hav just stopped??

Need help desperate to play the game.

Thnks

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/SDK-DDK/DirectX-Software-Development-Kit.shtml

Hi I'm still getting Error -51. I have tried your solution of uninstalling the game, and then rebooting, installing and then activating, but still getting the same error. When i get the error i click back and then next again and the screen gets stuck on the initialising page.

I am running windows vista

Hi. I still get the same problem as I did on the demo. When I click submit team the game freezes. I have the game on steam and therefore have the patch. Has this problem been solved with the patch or do I still have to run the game in windowed mode.

Cheers in advance

everything goes fine on softanchor until I enter my code and it tells me I have a error 51 - how do I fix this?

and i've checked my code on the checker and what i insert is whats on the back of the book.

After this i tried phone activation - annoying electronic woman said 'your product is unlocked' or whatever but as soon as you put the 3rd auth code in the proramme goes to 'not responding' so now i'm back to square one and the cost of a phone call down aswell.

fixing the 51 error?

@bcooper: I got it freely because i`m a german researcher. I tried the UK-number and it worked, but after the 3rd code the voice said, that they were unable to activate the game. i tried it again and again but mostly the voice told me numbers, which didn´t work.
For the number off the back of your manual, did you type all the letters in capitals? Try that, if you didn't.

I get the "this passcode is already in use" message everytime I click on the icon on my desktop, the authenticate box comes up and then I enter the code (it successfully registered once before via steam) and the message comes up that I have already activated the game. I am yet to play the game despite buying it yesterday!

Please help

Thanks a lot gus

I registered and downloaded FM09 yesterday. Everything went OK. Then I wanted to start the game. I did. I saw the advertisements of War Child, against racism, etc. Then I saw all the license information about country's, logo's, club's etc. and then the game stopped and I got a warning message:

"Facegen was disabled because it failed to initialise. Please check log file for details."

So I can't start a new game. I haven't seen that screen yet....

I looks like the game is running at the background (as a proces) but I can't see it.

Hopefully somebody knows what to do.

(it doesn't matter if the solution unables me to see player pictures and/or 3D view, because I would not activate them anyway).

Kind regards from The Netherlands!

On startup the fm.exe crashes, the following is in the "Send error..."

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00e5dbce

Latest version of Direct X 9, November, is installed, latest Java 1.0.6 u10 is installed.

Cheers

Stedders

Any one else have this problem?

It activates on Soft Anchor, I click "OK" then nothing happens.

I then double click FM.exe again and get the Soft Anchor screen, again with the tiral over message, put in my code, successful activation then nothing again - repeat for ever.

Win XP steam of Unilock no difference.

Solutions?

Marc,

the game loads perfectly and everything is fine until it comes to my first match, and as soon as i try to make a substitution the game crashes and a message comes up saying that a file has been created in the fm09 folder. this folder is a crash dumps folder and the files that are in there all read "FM 2009 v9.1.0.26064". after that comes up, the game automatically shut it's self down

Yes that is right

@ Marc Duffy: Do you think it's possible that the mac-patch will be delayed again?

Because from your replies I (and I think we all) got the impression that it's just a matter of getting the clearance to host it online?

Or is my impression nothing but a stack of hopes and isn't it 100% finished and tested?

I hope you're answer will be honest so we won't be too disappointed... again.

keywords: fm, mac, disappointed, again.. :p

I installed FM09 yesterday and used the "activate with Steam" option in the installer. Once registered to my steam account the game installed from my DVD. Upon first start I was prompted to activate the product, and after a while I was successful. Restarted the game today and was again prompted to activate the product.

After reading on the forums I decided to reinstall the game as the administrator (Im using Vista) but selecting the other activation option. Game installed and first start prompts the screen to activate the product. When I enter my code I get this error:

"The activation code is already in use. Go to the following address to buy an activation code." (translated from Swedish)

What should I do?

mine activated last night but now everytime i try to launch a window comes up saying:

Cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system

What does this mean?

I cannot find an uninstall fucntion anywhere either to restart the process, there is a uninstall folder that has no file in.

any help would be appreciated.

hey guys, i posted in another thread but i cant seem to find it now .. ive recently reformatted my computer and installed fm08 back onto it, but when i launch the game, the screen is white and stays white until i get to the screen where the main menu usually is, then all i can see if something like 'load last game' in grey writing, any ideas on how to solve this?

Cheers

Luke

Here is my problem:

When I type in my keycode at http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ I get this message

Unable to find your key.

muzchap was supposed to help me so I emailed him a jpeg of my keycode but that was over five hours ago and still no reply. Is there anyone else on the SI-team that can help me?

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

I still cannot activate mine over the phone. I'm getting further than last night, but the stupid automated voice keeps telling me at various stages that my key is invalid, even though I'm typing in exactly what is on screen.

My original activation key keeps changing as well each time I try to load the game? Should this be happening?

My disc wont work in my DVD drive like a few others on the forums so I activated through Steam and Downloaded. The game loads up fine and I set my self up with a career. Everything is fine till I try to look at a teams Information screen and then the game locks up and no longer responds. Anybody else get this?

Any one else have this problem?

It activates on Soft Anchor, I click "OK" then nothing happens.

I then double click FM.exe again and get the Soft Anchor screen, again with the tiral over message, put in my code, successful activation then nothing again - repeat for ever.

Win XP steam of Unilock no difference.

Solutions?

This is the exact problem i have (get authenticated then...nothing running on XP etc) - i am going to try uninstalling and re-installing fm from steam and will let you know what happens, if you find a way past this problem please let me know!

Dataeditor:

Found the data editor but i get the following message:

"this applicationhas failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

Any suggestions anyone?

I would very, very much appreciate a response from SI on this too.

I'm still getting the "Application was unable to connect"

Ive so many diffrent things to try get it to work and still no sucess.

Tried connecting well over 300 times and always get the no connection crap.

Its funny because you can download the game just now from a torrent and play it straight away OR pay £25 and not be able to play it.

Come on seriously thing problem should be fixed already.

Still an issue with UK phone activation? Tried twice just now and still getting cut off after the 3rd activation key input (message being that my product key code is invalid). I've used the key software to determine the code from 0's and o's etc.

Any news/ideas?

Thanks

I am not sure what is happening I can only load the game through steam, and then it locks up, when i try to load my saved game, I do not appear to have the game on any of my drives, I have paid for this and would like to be able to load the game from the icon and have it on my pc somewhere.

I bought and successfully installed fm.

i was playing for a bit then i saved the game and turned off my laptop.

when i tried 2 open fm back up it said it could not open the saved game.

so i started a new game thinking it was a once off.

however i got the same problem as before

so i uninstalled fm

but now i cant install it again

my laptop wont even recognise the disk

why are so many people having problems? why was this game released when it clearly wsnt ready? why have they chosen to use "steam" to open the game?

:thdn:

totally given up. waste of £28

Archived