Closed Thread
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Ever Killed A Team?

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th May 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    544

    Default

    What I mean is just release all their players, leave them with nothing, then resign to watch them sink?

    I did that with Falkirk after a horrible run with them in the First Division. They annoyed me completely, underachieved, complained and moaned all the time, and couldn't get promoted after losing the last game. So I released every player from first team to reserves to under 18's and just watched them sink. Surprisingly they only managed to sink to the second division and promoted back to First, but they're always in relegation zone. And every manager seems to get sacked from Falkirk, quite amusing.

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th May 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    544

    Default

    What I mean is just release all their players, leave them with nothing, then resign to watch them sink?

    I did that with Falkirk after a horrible run with them in the First Division. They annoyed me completely, underachieved, complained and moaned all the time, and couldn't get promoted after losing the last game. So I released every player from first team to reserves to under 18's and just watched them sink. Surprisingly they only managed to sink to the second division and promoted back to First, but they're always in relegation zone. And every manager seems to get sacked from Falkirk, quite amusing.

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th November 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Remind me never to get on your bad side...

    You're one vindictive guy

  4. #4
    Third Team
    Join Date
    2nd June 2003
    Location
    Probably the only Chinese guy goes to Leeds' away game. Occasionally accompany by the missus
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    I did something more fun in FM07.

    I was managing Villa. There was a broad takeover and the new owner decided to sack me and employ someone else. So I went back to my save 2 weeks ago (I have a rolling save every two weeks) and offer every single players a 5 years contract with the highest wages (about 40000 a week i think) plus a 25% annual rise plus maximum bonus.

    Two weeks later i got sack as expected. What they have left then was a huge wage bill which they can't maintain. The new manager can't sell anyone due to the high wage. With the 25% rise it get worse every season. The slump all the way down to the league two and bankrupted a several times on the way. They change manager every few months but nothing can help them get out of the rot. Strange things is they were still able to attract high profile-ish manager to manage them and sometimes still able to get better players than other division rivals. I guess that was due to higher reputation than others.

  5. #5
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    13th April 2007
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Those are terrible things to do to teams.

    And yet, Funny. :thup

  6. #6
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    13th April 2007
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by Starr_Man5:
    Those are terrible things to do to teams.

    And yet, Funny.

  7. #7
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th October 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    pretty much every english game i play i do the same to chelsea, just to restore the balance in the prem. it's not so straightforward but very much fun. release all the players i can, set those i can't release's asking prices to zero and offer them to everyone when they have pretty much have no players left i buy someone from a non-playable league for 50-60 million and then sign free transfer guff players on 5-year 125k p/w contracts just to insure they fail. it really helps me in terms of longevity of my game just watching them nosedive. usually they end up as league one also-rans and bankrupt.

    priceless!

  8. #8
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th January 2007
    Location
    Blackheath, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    197

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by nezimhalilovic:
    pretty much every english game i play i do the same to chelsea, just to restore the balance in the prem. it's not so straightforward but very much fun. release all the players i can, set those i can't release's asking prices to zero and offer them to everyone when they have pretty much have no players left i buy someone from a non-playable league for 50-60 million and then sign free transfer guff players on 5-year 125k p/w contracts just to insure they fail. it really helps me in terms of longevity of my game just watching them nosedive. usually they end up as league one also-rans and bankrupt.

    priceless!


    sounds like someone can't beat them

  9. #9
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    30th March 2003
    Location
    Southampton, England
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    I remember a game of CM97/98 where I was managing Barnet and had taken them to the Premier division, but season after season I could only finish second place to Leeds. I would win almost every match except the two against Leeds who were simply invincible. In the end I had enough and added a new manager - Carlton Palmer - whose sole purpose would be to sabotage Leeds for me.

    I started off simply by dropping a few of their best players to the bench, but they kept winning. Then I got more adventurous, fielding a team of reserves, but they still kept winning.

    Finally in sheer frustration I fielded a side consisting of only seven players, mainly goalkeepers, and all positioned on the right wing. They only lost by one goal, and came close to winning their match. Carlton's brief managerial career ended by him offloading a few players on free transfers and buying some distinctly average players in their place. Then he resigned. Strangely enough he kept getting job offers, so I had to retire him from the game.

    But as we all know cheating never pays. I lost my interest in that savegame shortly afterwards.

  10. #10
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2007
    Posts
    29

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    I did something more fun in FM07.

    I was managing Villa. There was a broad takeover and the new owner decided to sack me and employ someone else. So I went back to my save 2 weeks ago (I have a rolling save every two weeks) and offer every single players a 5 years contract with the highest wages (about 40000 a week i think) plus a 25% annual rise plus maximum bonus.

    Two weeks later i got sack as expected. What they have left then was a huge wage bill which they can't maintain. The new manager can't sell anyone due to the high wage. With the 25% rise it get worse every season. The slump all the way down to the league two and bankrupted a several times on the way. They change manager every few months but nothing can help them get out of the rot..

  11. #11
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th November 2007
    Posts
    29

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by its me:
    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    I did something more fun in FM07.

    I was managing Villa. There was a broad takeover and the new owner decided to sack me and employ someone else. So I went back to my save 2 weeks ago (I have a rolling save every two weeks) and offer every single players a 5 years contract with the highest wages (about 40000 a week i think) plus a 25% annual rise plus maximum bonus.

    Two weeks later i got sack as expected. What they have left then was a huge wage bill which they can't maintain. The new manager can't sell anyone due to the high wage. With the 25% rise it get worse every season. The slump all the way down to the league two and bankrupted a several times on the way. They change manager every few months but nothing can help them get out of the rot..


    Sounds like my beloved Bradford City in real life!

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th May 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    544

    Default

    I'm actually quite surprised I still get hired after my Falkirk incident.

    Hmm maybe I'll add another manager and steal a couple of Celtic players, they keep sticking their noses in my transfers.

  13. #13
    Sports Interactive

    PSN: TerScotland79
    Ter's Avatar
    Join Date
    9th February 2000
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    11,531

    Default

    I'm currently doing the same with Barcelona. I'm trying to sell all their players and replace them with rubbish free transfers. I've moved all their first team to the B-Team and registered them and gone on holiday until January.

    I've also sent a load of them I couldn't sell to an Italian feeder team.

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th October 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I am in control of Harrogate in the lowest english league, but created another user just to see Chelsea go down. Donated all their money by buying terrible players from Dundee, sold all their players, and then again used all their money recieved from the transfers. Then I fired all the staff members, and signed just horrible players from free transfer and offered them the longest contract possible with the highest salery and of cause 25 % wage raise. Now to seasons later they are in recievership, already owing the bank 450 million punds, and about to be taken over by the third board in just two years. I just hate Chelsea if you have not realised that yet

  15. #15
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th July 2007
    Location
    Shetland Islands
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Why not do it to a team that is better than Chelsea? I don't know if you guys have played for one season, but Arsenal and Man U completely own Chelsea (sadly) in the league.

    "Sounds like sour grapes to me"

  16. #16
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st November 2007
    Location
    left back! normally in the pub or the changing room
    Posts
    105

    Default

    oh yes! celtic get it every time with me when i'm NOT playing in the SPL. nothing better than watching them struggle, though they always survive the drop at the end of the season. grrrr childish i know but it makes me chuckle

  17. #17
    Amateur
    Join Date
    9th January 2008
    Location
    Shelf Halifax
    Posts
    18

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by its me:
    quote:
    Originally posted by its me:
    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    I did something more fun in FM07.

    I was managing Villa. There was a broad takeover and the new owner decided to sack me and employ someone else. So I went back to my save 2 weeks ago (I have a rolling save every two weeks) and offer every single players a 5 years contract with the highest wages (about 40000 a week i think) plus a 25% annual rise plus maximum bonus.

    Two weeks later i got sack as expected. What they have left then was a huge wage bill which they can't maintain. The new manager can't sell anyone due to the high wage. With the 25% rise it get worse every season. The slump all the way down to the league two and bankrupted a several times on the way. They change manager every few months but nothing can help them get out of the rot..


    Sounds like my beloved Bradford City in real life!


    Il second that

  18. #18
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th July 2007
    Location
    miaow miaow miaow
    Posts
    625

    Default

    as i do in every game i play.....i set man utd rep to 10, gave them minimal training and youth facilities . got rid of their best players, and then signed all the rest to maximum allowable contract 25% yearly increase. sacked all their staff, fined and criticised all remaining players.
    spent all their transfer budget on rubbish players, signed up all the useless unattached players to further increase their wage bill.
    then i sit back and enjoy

  19. #19
    Amateur
    Join Date
    23rd November 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Is that Bryan Robson! Is Falkirk your code name?

  20. #20
    Third Team
    Join Date
    29th March 2007
    Location
    FMS Prediction League 2011-12 Champion
    Posts
    9,022

    Default

    I occasionally take over rich teams simply to buy off my unwanted players, and send me their best players for free.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    10th September 2000
    Location
    Oh, yes. Oh, yes. Capital City\'s nakedest ladies. They\'re not even wearing a smile. Nod suggestively. Yes, six, count \'em, six gorgeous ladies just dying...for your leers and cat calls. Yowsa, yowsa.
    Posts
    93

    Default

    What's the point? It just makes the game completely unrealistic.

  22. #22
    Third Team
    Join Date
    2nd June 2003
    Location
    Probably the only Chinese guy goes to Leeds' away game. Occasionally accompany by the missus
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    so? everyone have their own way to have fun with the game. Personally i only play the single player game to test out tactics. My "main" and "serious" game is the network with my friend and the missus.

  23. #23
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th May 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    544

    Default

    I figured Falkirk needed a little help to stay in first division where they belong. Their heave 7-2 defeat vs Rangers helped me make that decision.

    Now if Morton's Manager keeps his attitude up towards me, he's going to have problems.

  24. #24
    Blackburn Rovers Researcher
    Join Date
    19th August 2003
    Location
    Blackburn Researcher
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Yeh with Chelsea I did something similiar just to see what happened to them.

    I sold all of their decent players on for free to clubs that wanted them, had to release the likes of Makelele because nobody wanted him!!

    Then when everyone had gone I spent the rest of their money buying people like Rob Lee, Ray Parlour, Gary Speed and Mark Crossley for silly transfer fees like 20 million for the ones that were still at a club etc on 5 year deals £100,000+ a week each until their transfer budget was gone, then I signed up all of the young crap players on new super contracts so that all of the deals was signed at once.

    Their wage bill was then something like £3 million a week, then resigned and went on holiday for ages.

    When I came back they were in the championship after about 4 seasons or so and slowly beginning to rebuild after they had managed to somehow offload some of the players and some of them retired etc.

    Just bored pretty much and not a Chelsea fan!

  25. #25
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th November 2007
    Posts
    28

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by Rega:
    What's the point? It just makes the game completely unrealistic.


    Spite.

    Which is why I destroyed Everton in CM97/98. Buggers beat me all the time and one day I just lost it. Danny Cadamatari and Michael Branch were just insanely good.

  26. #26
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd June 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    so? everyone have their own way to have fun with the game. Personally i only play the single player game to test out tactics. My "main" and "serious" game is the network with my friend and the missus.


    Your misses plays FM !! WOW !!

    My gf despises FM, always making me choose!

    Frankly only one winner.....

  27. #27
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th August 2007
    Posts
    351

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by nezimhalilovic:
    pretty much every english game i play i do the same to chelsea, just to restore the balance in the prem. it's not so straightforward but very much fun. release all the players i can, set those i can't release's asking prices to zero and offer them to everyone when they have pretty much have no players left i buy someone from a non-playable league for 50-60 million and then sign free transfer guff players on 5-year 125k p/w contracts just to insure they fail. it really helps me in terms of longevity of my game just watching them nosedive. usually they end up as league one also-rans and bankrupt.

    priceless!


    did mummy and daddy show you no love??

    or are you a man utd fan who can't handle the fact that you are no longer all that!!!!

  28. #28
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd June 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    ManU are 'all that'

    Much better than Chelsea

    Coming from a Arsenal fan!

    If he wants to make Chelsea balance zero, let him, big deal!

    PS. Did u start supporting Chelsea after Abramovic came in!!

  29. #29
    Third Team
    Join Date
    2nd June 2003
    Location
    Probably the only Chinese guy goes to Leeds' away game. Occasionally accompany by the missus
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by mizan:
    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    so? everyone have their own way to have fun with the game. Personally i only play the single player game to test out tactics. My "main" and "serious" game is the network with my friend and the missus.


    Your misses plays FM !! WOW !!

    My gf despises FM, always making me choose!

    Frankly only one winner.....


    she is japanese so she plays many games. The downside of her starting to play FM (actually it was CM0304 when she starts) is that she started to go to Leeds away games with me and turning into a hooligan. She was the only 5"4 Japanese woman i know who shouted "W@nkers!" (along with the hand gesture) to 3000 Preston fans

  30. #30
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd June 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    LOL

  31. #31
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd June 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Sorry for double post!!

    Whos the better player on FM?
    You or your misses?

  32. #32
    Amateur
    Join Date
    31st December 2007
    Location
    Next Door
    Posts
    74

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by andyinuk:
    I did something more fun in FM07.

    I was managing Villa. There was a broad takeover and the new owner decided to sack me and employ someone else. So I went back to my save 2 weeks ago (I have a rolling save every two weeks) and offer every single players a 5 years contract with the highest wages (about 40000 a week i think) plus a 25% annual rise plus maximum bonus.

    Two weeks later i got sack as expected. What they have left then was a huge wage bill which they can't maintain. The new manager can't sell anyone due to the high wage. With the 25% rise it get worse every season. The slump all the way down to the league two and bankrupted a several times on the way. They change manager every few months but nothing can help them get out of the rot. Strange things is they were still able to attract high profile-ish manager to manage them and sometimes still able to get better players than other division rivals. I guess that was due to higher reputation than others.


    I think I may be the victim of the AI doing this right before my move to Bologna...

  33. #33
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th August 2007
    Posts
    351

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by mizan:
    ManU are 'all that'

    Much better than Chelsea

    Coming from a Arsenal fan!

    If he wants to make Chelsea balance zero, let him, big deal!

    PS. Did u start supporting Chelsea after Abramovic came in!!


    I'm a Stoke City fan thank you mizan!!!

  34. #34
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    13th April 2007
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    I'm going to give it a go myself.
    It'll be interesting; I'm bloody awful at FM (If I'm being honest) so I'd like to see just how bad I can do when I actually try to.

  35. #35
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd June 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by little rat:
    quote:
    Originally posted by mizan:
    ManU are 'all that'

    Much better than Chelsea

    Coming from a Arsenal fan!

    If he wants to make Chelsea balance zero, let him, big deal!

    PS. Did u start supporting Chelsea after Abramovic came in!!


    I'm a Stoke City fan thank you mizan!!!


    LOL!!
    Sorry mate!
    Stoke doing quite well this season
    We might meet in the FA Cup!

  36. #36
    Amateur
    Join Date
    9th May 2003
    Location
    Mostly Wellington, New Zealand (was Brighton, England)
    Posts
    292

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by nezimhalilovic:
    pretty much every english game i play i do the same to chelsea, just to restore the balance in the prem. it's not so straightforward but very much fun. release all the players i can, set those i can't release's asking prices to zero and offer them to everyone when they have pretty much have no players left i buy someone from a non-playable league for 50-60 million and then sign free transfer guff players on 5-year 125k p/w contracts just to insure they fail. it really helps me in terms of longevity of my game just watching them nosedive. usually they end up as league one also-rans and bankrupt.

    priceless!


    I did that to Man Utd in CM3. The difference was that I played them, picking weird formations with no goalkeeper to see them get pummelled 35-0 each game. I sold as many Man U superstars to Brighton for almost nothing (except most of the players refused to go), released players that had high value long term contracts (except the board prevented me sometimes), and signed all the Brighton youth dollars for millions. I kept getting fired every few months and had to retire and re-create myself. It only took a few days to play enough seasons to get ManU out of the league. Silly, but quite fun for a distraction.

  37. #37
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th August 2007
    Posts
    351

    Default

    quote:

    LOL!!
    Sorry mate!
    Stoke doing quite well this season
    We might meet in the FA Cup!


    If we can do something at st james'!!
    which maybe very possible considering their deepening turmoil!!

  38. #38
    Third Team
    Join Date
    2nd June 2003
    Location
    Probably the only Chinese guy goes to Leeds' away game. Occasionally accompany by the missus
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    quote:
    Originally posted by mizan:
    Sorry for double post!!

    Whos the better player on FM?
    You or your misses?


    she is . My only consolation is that her match usually are dead boring.

  39. #39
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th July 2007
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    It's fun. As a Leeds fan I used to do it to Man U once I'd got bored playing the game properly. I'd sell all the stars and buy in some rubbish/mediocre people for ALL their transfer money. Then go on holiday as ManU manager and play my game as a proper manager, watching them go all the way down. And yes, I was motivated purely by spite and jealousy.

    Haven't been bothered to do it in releases that see Leeds languishing in the lower reaches.

    Ant

  40. #40
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th July 2007
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    That said, unless I interfere further they're back to mid-table prem in two seasons, such is their rep.

  41. #41
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th December 2007
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I sometimes ruin Leeds just for sh!ts and giggles if I'm bored. Start them in the Premiership, but rack up the debt and turn back the clock. Watch them get relegated, twice, all over again. It's great. Not jealousy (what's to be jealous of?). Not spite. Just pure and uninhibited loathing.

    The challenge is keeping them there wihout getting sacked.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts