Custom Squad Screen

dafuge

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In previous years I have edited a file to add information to the squad selection screen but last year the skin (made by Ackter) already had it, so I've completely forgotten how to do it.

Basically, I want my squad screen to look like this.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to doing this?

Same request here...

Thanks in advance

The first thing you need to do is to patch your game (the patch updates the file you'll need).

Now use the Resource Tool (that came with the game) to extract the following fmf file to somewhere outside the installation folder for fm09:

\Football Manager 2009\data\updates\update-910\data\panels.fmf

(Or if you haven't/don't want to patch extract \Football Manager 2009\data\panels.fmf)

Now if you are using the default skins that came with the all you need to do is locate the team squad.xml file that was extracted from the panels.fmf file and goto your User Data folder (My Docs/SI/FM09/) create a folder called panels and drop the team squad.xml file into there - for the skins that came with the game (and possibly any skin that doesn't have it's own team squad.xml file) the game will pick your file first.

(if you have downloaded a skin then just drop the file into the panels folder for your skin).

Now you need to edit the file with notepad/notepad++ or any webpage editor.

Each view has it's own list of columns, so it's just a case of copying and pasting the column code from other views so you get what you what on your screen - the only real limit to how much info you can put on the screen is your screen resolution.

Below is the default content for the selection view:

<!-- shown for club teams -->
<record id="sltn"> 
<string id="name" value="Selection[COMMENT: button in view_menu on squad screens; choose to view club stats]"/>
<record id="view">
<flags id="Ppkd"/> <!-- picked info -->
<flags id="Ppsq"/> <!-- preferred squad number-->
<flags id="Pnfo"/> <!-- player status/info -->
<flags id="Pnam"/> <!-- person name -->
<flags id="Ppos"/> <!-- position -->
<flags id="Pmor"/> <!-- player morale -->
<flags id="Pfrm"/> <!-- player form -->
<flags id="Pcon"/> <!-- player condition -->
<flags id="Poap"/> <!-- overall appearances -->
<flags id="Pogl"/> <!-- overall goals -->
<flags id="Poav"/> <!-- overall average rating -->
</record>

So say you want to add in the assists column to this view, you scan through the file until you locate the bit of code that displays the assists column, for example the assists code can be found under the stats view:

<flags id="Poas"/> <!-- overall assists -->

Now it's just a case of pasting that code into the selection view, where the first item in the list appears to the left of the screen and the bottom item appears to the right of the screen, so pasting the assist code into the selection view after the overall goals code, will show the assists column after the goals column in game:

<record id="sltn"> 
<string id="name" value="Selection[COMMENT: button in view_menu on squad screens; choose to view club stats]"/>
<record id="view">
</record>

The tactics panel can also be edited in the same way by editing the tactic person list.xml file

After you are done save the file, load the game turn the skin cache off and tick always reload skin (you can put these back when it works) and your new views should show.

To remove the file just delete it.

(PS some things won't show on the screen, as they are for debugging etc... I'm also still trying to find out how to put footness on that screen).

Hm I got a question as well which you hopefully also can answer, is their any way to expand the info bar a bit so all the icons/issues players might have are displayed? (like wanted/ media reaction and such)

edit, just noticed I can see them by just hoovering over player info, but still.. would be easier if it could just be shown

I added to my team squad.xml:

<record id="sltn">

<record id="view">

<flags id="Page"/> <!-- person age -->

<flags id="Pnat"/> <!-- nationality -->

<flags id="Pbpc"/> <!-- best position -->

<flags id="Pccs"/> <!-- squad status -->

<flags id="Pcww"/> <!-- wage -->

<flags id="Pdva"/> <!-- player value -->

</record>

But the players names column is now quite long AND the last column, player value, doesnt show.

?

Hm I got a question as well which you hopefully also can answer, is their any way to expand the info bar a bit so all the icons/issues players might have are displayed? (like wanted/ media reaction and such)

edit, just noticed I can see them by just hoovering over player info, but still.. would be easier if it could just be shown

You can replace the normal player status code (<flags id="Pnfo"/> <!-- player status/info -->) with the full player status code (<flags id="Pnfa"/> <!-- full player status/info -->) - that will display all the player info, like the player status screen.

I added to my team squad.xml:

<record id="sltn">

<record id="view">

</record>

But the players names column is now quite long AND the last column, player value, doesnt show.

?

What screen size are you using? (have you got a screenshot) - a quick solution is to switch to a different view and switch or switch to another team and see if it's just a glitch or try reloading your skin, if none of that works you can change the code to give the column a fixed size.

First change flags to record then before the /> add in the code width="100" changing 100 to a width that works, you can try putting in -1 - and that should tell the game to fill the rest of the screen with the player name column after everything else has been displayed.

Like:

<string id="name" value="Selection[COMMENT: button in view_menu on squad screens; choose to view club

stats]"/>

<record id="view">

<record id="Pnam" width="-1" /> <!-- person name -->

<flags id="Pdva"/> <!-- value -->

</record>

I use

<string id="name" value="General Info"/>

<!-- Define attributes/properties to view in this view type on the panel.

Any properties not defined here will be hidden for this view. -->

<record id="view">

<record id="Ppkd" width="65"/> <!-- picked info -->

<flags id="Psnu"/> <!-- squad number -->

<record id="Pnam" width="-1"/> <!-- person name -->

<record id="Ppos" width="75"/> <!-- position -->

<flags id="Pscc"/> <!-- scout recommendation -->

<record id="Phei" width="55"/> <!-- height -->

<record id="Pwei" width="55"/> <!-- weight -->

<record id="Pmor" width="85"/> <!-- player morale -->

<record id="Pdva" width="55"/> <!-- player value -->

</record>

For my general squad view on a 1280*1024 screen in windowed mode and everything fits and looks good.

This is what it looks like

screenlo8.jpg

w1280.png

Yeah, this really is quite cool, got mine working now with assists on squad screen but cannot seem to get full player status to display?

Anyone help?

You can replace the normal player status code (<flags id="Pnfo"/> <!-- player status/info -->) with the full player status code (<flags id="Pnfa"/> <!-- full player status/info -->) - that will display all the player info, like the player status screen.

I've been playing around with this quite a bit over the past two days - will post my updates in probably 1-2 days for people to look at over the weekend.

I've got all the team-squad views working the way I want them, and am now playing with a similar modification for the tactics screen and the shortlist.

For helping others, what I've found is the most useful approach for me was making most things "record" and specifying explicit widths, but letting one or two items fill out the remaining space by leaving them as "flags" e.g.:

<record id="Ppkd" width="45"/> <!-- picked info -->

<record id="Pnam" width="115"/> <!-- person name -->

<record id="Pbpc" width="26"/> <!-- best position -->

<record id="Pscc" width="26"/> <!-- scout recommendation -->

<record id="Pcon" width="26"/> <!-- player condition -->

. . .

That's given me very precise control over most of the appearance.

width=".." seems to specify a preferred width for that item; if I specify total widths less than is needed, they get widened to fill out the space .. and I've also seen them squished beneath what I had specified.

width="-1" has given me odd results, such as the player name ballooning out to several hundred pixels, and squishing my other records down below my specified width.

If you're getting something that does not display, e.g., value, its because your total widths exceed your available size. You need to remove elements, or specify more (smaller-than-default) widths.

I've been playing around with this quite a bit over the past two days - will post my updates in probably 1-2 days for people to look at over the weekend.

I've got all the team-squad views working the way I want them, and am now playing with a similar modification for the tactics screen and the shortlist.

For helping others, what I've found is the most useful approach for me was making most things "record" and specifying explicit widths, but letting one or two items fill out the remaining space by leaving them as "flags" e.g.:

<record id="Ppkd" width="45"/> <!-- picked info -->

<record id="Pnam" width="115"/> <!-- person name -->

<record id="Pbpc" width="26"/> <!-- best position -->

<record id="Pscc" width="26"/> <!-- scout recommendation -->

<record id="Pcon" width="26"/> <!-- player condition -->

. . .

That's given me very precise control over most of the appearance.

width=".." seems to specify a preferred width for that item; if I specify total widths less than is needed, they get widened to fill out the space .. and I've also seen them squished beneath what I had specified.

width="-1" has given me odd results, such as the player name ballooning out to several hundred pixels, and squishing my other records down below my specified width.

If you're getting something that does not display, e.g., value, its because your total widths exceed your available size. You need to remove elements, or specify more (smaller-than-default) widths.

Exactly what I have done, all my columns are records with specified width apart from two.

This is how it looks:

leedsro9.jpg

w1272.png

One additional discovery:

There's a "minimum_width" setting in addition to "width", which I think confirms my discovery that its "preferred width".

So, for example, you might set up a Morale item as:

<record id="Pmor" minimum_width="85" width="100"/> <!-- player morale -->

That's probably not as useful for the team-view screen .. but I'm finding it very very handy for the Tactics semi-view screens.

hi everyone,

I have WSM 09 and I'm having trouble getting my EDITED team squad xml file to take effect.

I have extracted the Panels archive (using the tool) to a folder on my desktop.

Edited the team squad xml file with notepad, saved it and copied it to a newly created folder in my "mydocuments/.../wsm 09/skins/panels"

I start the game, ticked and unticked both "use skin cache" and "allways load skin on confirm" in various attempts, but to no avail, as the changes are not displayed.

The squad screen looks the same. no changes.

Can someone help?

thanks

hi everyone,

I have WSM 09 and I'm having trouble getting my EDITED team squad xml file to take effect.

I have extracted the Panels archive (using the tool) to a folder on my desktop.

Edited the team squad xml file with notepad, saved it and copied it to a newly created folder in my "mydocuments/.../wsm 09/skins/panels"

I start the game, ticked and unticked both "use skin cache" and "allways load skin on confirm" in various attempts, but to no avail, as the changes are not displayed.

The squad screen looks the same. no changes.

Can someone help?

thanks

Are you using the default skin or a different one? If you are using the default skin (or a skin that doesn't have its own team squad xml file, then you create the 'panels' folder directly in the Football Manager 09 folder, not inside the skins folder.

Like this: My Docs/SI/FM09/ (or in you case this, mydocuments/.../wsm 09/panels)

Are you using the default skin or a different one? If you are using the default skin (or a skin that doesn't have its own team squad xml file, then you create the 'panels' folder directly in the Football Manager 09 folder, not inside the skins folder.

Like this: My Docs/SI/FM09/ (or in you case this, mydocuments/.../wsm 09/panels)

Thanks 23, that solved my problem.

If I use a "modded" skin, then I would have to place this file under skins\panels? or how would that work?

On another note, If I want to make a change to the settings.fmf (to change the attribute colors for bad,good,medium,excellent attributes) how would I go about that? (this file is currently in wsm directory - c: drive). I edited it and placed in the same spot, but when I load the game the players all "disappear". I wonder if I have to place the setting.fmf file along with the "team squad" on the users folder.

If someone can help it would be great.

Thanks.

What's the command for adding the man of the match column in the squad screen? Anybody knows?

DK10, can you make a configuration to include the man of the match and yearly wage columns in it?Without removing nothing from your original configuration you posted. I use your configuration on a windowed 1280x1024 screen and it's fantastic.

please correct me if i am wrong.

I have created a file called team squad.xml and this inside the file

<record id="view">

</record>

and have placed it in the panel folder under skin

but i cannot get it to work

May i know where i have gone wrong.

Thanks

If you pasted that on a blank xml file it's not working. You need the original team squad.xml file extracted from the panels.fmf of the update folder of the 910 patch. After you extract that file with resource archiver you should add those lines in the team squad.xml file.

Just read carefully post nr.3 on this thread.

What's the command for adding the man of the match column in the squad screen? Anybody knows?

DK10, can you make a configuration to include the man of the match and yearly wage columns in it?Without removing nothing from your original configuration you posted. I use your configuration on a windowed 1280x1024 screen and it's fantastic.

MotM:

<flags id="Pomo"/> <!-- overall man of match -->

Yeah I have a bit of a problem with this...

I made my own team squad.xml file and placed it into the panels folder in my skin folder (flex). However, the team squad page is now blank for me. I can't select general view because all of those buttons are missing too.

I read above to try and solve this so I extracted the panels.fmf file with the resource tool to the desktop. In the panels folder on the desktop, there is no team squad.xml file so I don't know what to do. Any help would be welcomed.

P.S. - I have reloaded the skin and un-ticked the cache box.

EDIT: This is my current team squad.xml file:

<record id="sltn">

<record id="view">

<flags id="Pnfa"/> <!-- full player status/info -->

</record>

Ok I realised my mistake which was using the original panels.fmf file but I have used the new one from the 901 update. I put my codes into the new team squad.xml and I'm getting this error when launching the game:

'Mismatched tag at line 984 of panels/team squads'

Ah found the problem and sorted it this time :D.

I was pasting this whole block of text:

<record id="sltn">

<record id="view">

<flags id="Pnfa"/> <!-- full player status/info -->

</record>

into the team squad.xml file instead of editing the current one

No as they are hidden attributes........

Yes, ok, I'm aware of that, but (in face of the risk of getting banned or something, I must say that am just speaking theoretically) if geniescout, miniscout and all the editor programmers found and included them, wouldn't it be possible for a skinner to add them as well?

Yes, ok, I'm aware of that, but (in face of the risk of getting banned or something, I must say that am just speaking theoretically) if geniescout, miniscout and all the editor programmers found and included them, wouldn't it be possible for a skinner to add them as well?

I don't know mate.......

I use

<record id="view">

</record>

For my general squad view on a 1280*1024 screen in windowed mode and everything fits and looks good.

This is what it looks like

screenlo8.jpg

w1280.png

alright mate, i really want to know what skin are you using there?

Hum... Just wondering if there would be a way to see sale value and CA / PA in numbers and not stars...

To be honest, anyone who's played for a few years can tell you that CA means nothing if the overall attributes are not well placed.

It's why some lower PA players are better than high CA players.

You wouldn't play a 180CA defender who couldn't head, tackle or mark, but a 145CA with 17 or 18 n those attributes would be the better choice.

To be honest, anyone who's played for a few years can tell you that CA means nothing if the overall attributes are not well placed.

It's why some lower PA players are better than high CA players.

You wouldn't play a 180CA defender who couldn't head, tackle or mark, but a 145CA with 17 or 18 n those attributes would be the better choice.

True, but I have been playing FM for quite some years now and I can tell or remind you that CA does matter if you're planning to buy a youngster, for example. Say you're looking at two players. If CA is equal and attributes are good for both of them, you should want to check the PA to decide which one to buy, right? :) The same goes for older player; sure, the most important thing to consider are attributes, but if you get the chance to buy a player who can evolve, it's so much better...

Archived