Phone Activation

I've been trying for over 24 hours now. It's the only way I can activate my game. No net connection on that PC. It's so frustrating. Especially as it's so long winded. I even got as far as typing in the 3rd 16 digit number, for it to cut me off. What's worse is the statement at the top reads something like "speak to a representataive" even though it's strictly only automated. What's that all about!?

Can only keep trying. Like most people on here, I took the day off work today. I#m back at work tomorrow so it'll hopefully be fixed by tomorrow night!? Any news or update on this issue would be reassuring. Just to nkow that I'm not going mad :)

try setting your alarm for 5am and getting up and trying then when demand is less.

Honestly now, as a front for SI is that kind of response really nessecary? If activation was insisted upon as part of the game, and phonelines was a given option for authentication then it surely is a huge prerequisite to ensure these methods work? The customer shudnt be expected to get up in the middle of the night just because SI's methods cant cope.

try setting your alarm for 5am and getting up and trying then when demand is less.

I have tried that!!! I was up at 6am this morning (and tried from 11pm last night). No joy. Seem's that demand is irrelavant. The system just doesn't seem stable enough. I am of the understanding that these activation systems have been "stress tested" prior to release. The issue is "beyond the control" of SI and they are doing their best to sort it out with the activation company. An update on the matter (ie- why's and how's) is going to be issued by Miles at somepoint over the weekend. We hear alot about online activation and steam etc, but haven't heard anything about the phone activation service- ie, should it be working, is their a known problem. Was just wondering if there's an update I've missed or one coming!?

Been trying phones all night.

Now you get through and get to put your 1st 16 digit number in. It accepts it and gives you a response key of 0 (zero) and this should then give you your next 16 digit number.

Guess what nothing happens and then it cuts off.

My mate bourght the game and his partner is a journalist. Her paper are giving her the green light to run a story in the coming days on how this has happened and how a number of people are annoyed. And no ones is still able to play.

Wud like to read it

Actually I'm having no trouble getting through now. It just cuts me off after about a third of the process, saying "We can't activate..at the present time".

I keep getting that response now I've eventually started getting through. Extremely disappointing that it took me until after midnight to even get this far though. I've got the next few days off work, hoping I could get in plenty of FM playing time, but instead it'll be spent trying to activate it probably.

That is an awful answer to give. We shouldnt have to get up at these times to do such a thing. What other games use an activation system that does not work?!

it seemed like a common-sense answer to me. And to the other guy, but he's already tried that.

Yeah, would love to see that answer given in real life.

Sorry mate, internet bank is full, come back at 5am.

Sorry mate, no milk, come back at 5am.

Sorry mate, trains full, come back at 5am.

Sorry mate, the highway is full, come back at 5am.

Sorry mate, we don't have any more computers spare, come back at 5am to do your work.

Quality response from SI here.

Absolutely shambolic. Get as far as the third activation key before I get told its invalid, which shouldn't be the case as I went on that lookup key page to check the 1s,Is,0s and Os were correct and pasted from there.

..and it takes three minutes to get far, if there's eight steps its going to take longer than the five minutes advertised even if it works properly, no? What a long-winded process. This had better be a free-phone number, if anyone is actually making money out of this mess...

And before I get any smart-alec responses about trying on-line, I'm posting this from another computer.

Really not impressed about having to jump through hoops to get the game working, I'd guess this has been imposed by someone higher above than SI, but still.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

So is this the official SI line? If it is, I've completely lost faith with SI.

Under no situation is it acceptable to make a customer get up at 5am to cater for imcompotence.

Marc/Paul, can you comment on this? Is this how SI is going to treat their customers?

I sincerely hope I don't get banned or get this comment deleted.

So is this the official SI line? If it is, I've completely lost faith with SI.

Under no situation is it acceptable to make a customer get up at 5am to cater for imcompotence.

Marc/Paul, can you comment on this? Is this how SI is going to treat their customers?

I sincerely hope I don't get banned or get this comment deleted.

We don't ban or warn people just for being critical! :D I think Serps was just trying to offer an alternative. It's been a very long night for many of us, and I think we'll all agree that these problems have been immensely frustrating for all of us - even if didn't affect us all directly (I, for example, haven't bought the game yet). To the OP have you tried looking for the solution in a couple of the stickied threads?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW

If someone like BT, Vodaphone told me that I would ****ing drive to their headquarters and personally smash every desk, table, chair, computer, window there was. That is shocking answer getting someone out of bed at 5am to ring activation phone. And what's more annoying is the 5am thing clearly did not work. Nothing to do with system overloading, more technical issues which is SI responsibility.

Are people getting charged for the phone activation???

its not free from a mobile, a lot of people don't have landlines anymore

LOL that's a slap in the face. I'm guessing 25p per call? SI should pay for these phone calls. Charging £30 for game then on top an additional 25p-£5 to activate the game. That's a joke.

They should advertise it as £30 a game, plus additional cost of 25p to anything up £5 for activation and an additional activation cost when restarting game. Total cost anything from £40 and upwards.

The latter? The whole game is a liar really.

They are a respected company who always do their best to make the life of their costomers easy. Also they said many times to people who were not happy with DRM before release to buy the game and actually try this DRM.

Surely it's stupid to ask people to do something that will show that you are a lier so I think they coudn't lie... Or may be they asked to try this system just to get more money? But it can't be true too as SI are a great company who put their principles and customers ahead of money.

I've finally managed to activate my game over the phone seemingly by entering everything in caps, thats the key code of the manual and the response key's they give you, great!!!! almost! thought i was in then went to load my great new game and what happens, the bastard activation screen pops up again telling me my trial has expired and i need to activate, tried going through it again same thing happens aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h!!!!!! The calls take 8mins and 10 secs by the way

you are not understanding, you need to run the game this will give you a activation pop up, on here select 'by phone' enter your activation key from the back of the manual, in caps. this will take you to a new screen, which will show you a phone number to ring dependent on which country you are in. the screen will also have a 16 digit number which you key in when the nice automated lady tells you too once you've rang the number she will give a response key, you enter that into the relevant box and get a new 16 digit number, this goes on for a while then you get some new numbers but by this point you should understand whats going. once you get through all this it probably still wont work but you'll feel better for making some progress. i'm not going to give you the number because you'll be ringing it and tying up the line without knowing whats going on

for those of you still having trouble with the phone activation, keep trying it may say your code is wrong but keep trying, i rang 11 times this morning to activate it with the same code, 10 times they said the code was wrong, the 11th time it worked, so just keep trying if your sure its the right activation code

Archived