OFFICIAL: Match Engine Wishlist

Hi, I thought I'd start a thread specifically for everyone to suggest changes to the match engine. Yes, I realise that there is a wishlist thread already, but it's full of suggestions from people who want to be able to add hot dog stands to their stadium or spend their manager's salary, etc (albeit there are some good suggestions there as well). This should hopefully make it easier for SI to read what people want from the match engine, specifically. I thought this would be a good idea as the forum is currently becoming a bit flooded with posts on the subject.

GROUND RULES

With the number of threads that turn into slanging matches here are the ground rules:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Please make sure you're playing the latest patch (currently 8.0.1) before you suggest changes

<LI> Please respect others' views, even if you disagree - do so politely

<LI> Please don't say "this won't be too difficult to implement" unless you are a programmer yourself. The number of times people say that makes me think everyone on here must have a degree in software coding (let me tell you, nothing is "easy", because you have to test every bit of coding)

<LI> Please don't worry if it's been posted before - let's use this one thread for all suggestions to do with the match engine; it will make the forum tidier

<LI> Whilst it would be nice if SI post in here, rest assured (as I do) that SI do read all threads, so assume that this thread is being read

I will kick things off in the next post.

Hi, I thought I'd start a thread specifically for everyone to suggest changes to the match engine. Yes, I realise that there is a wishlist thread already, but it's full of suggestions from people who want to be able to add hot dog stands to their stadium or spend their manager's salary, etc (albeit there are some good suggestions there as well). This should hopefully make it easier for SI to read what people want from the match engine, specifically. I thought this would be a good idea as the forum is currently becoming a bit flooded with posts on the subject.

GROUND RULES

With the number of threads that turn into slanging matches here are the ground rules:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Please make sure you're playing the latest patch (currently 8.0.1) before you suggest changes

<LI> Please don't say "this won't be too difficult to implement" unless you are a programmer yourself. The number of times people say that makes me think everyone on here must have a degree in software coding (let me tell you, nothing is "easy", because you have to test every bit of coding)

<LI> Please don't worry if it's been posted before - let's use this one thread for all suggestions to do with the match engine; it will make the forum tidier

<LI> Whilst it would be nice if SI post in here, rest assured (as I do) that SI do read all threads, so assume that this thread is being read

I will kick things off in the next post.

I have to say that I'm generally quite happy with the match engine. But I do have a few things I'd like to see changed:

<LI> Can the number of bookings be tweaked for midfielders? I play normal tackling, yet Andrew Crofts has 16 yellows and 1 red in 36 games; Adam Miller has 15 yellows and 2 reds in 35 games, Aaron Brown has 7 yellows in 32 games (he is a pussy left winger) whilst Jody Morris (yeah, fair enough) has 9 yellows and 1 red in a similar amount of games. One midfielder might get a lot, but to have three midfielders on a high amount is extraordinary. Conversely, my defenders don't have many bookings.

<LI> I don't think I've ever seen the crossbar struck. The posts rarely get struck either (unless a goal is scored via the post). This, IMO, should be tweaked up a bit.

<LI> Whilst the 4th official signals the MINIMUM amount of overtime, this is usually adhered to IRL. It's only occasionally that it goes over the suggested minimum IRL, yet in the game it happens a bit too often in my opinion.

More suggestions to follow as and when I think of them. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

It would also be useful if people were able to cite actual evidence, rather than just saying "currently this does this" with nothing to back it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea. icon14.gif I'll dig out some screenshots.

I'd like to see greater interaction with the board, staff etc.

The board interaction has not been improved in a few years now and one particular feature that I would love to see is a job interview, something that I beleive was available on an old Xbox version.

A more indepth press conference before big matches would be nice but may become irritating if it happens too often.

Despite this I would like to stress that adding too many quirky features could be to the detriment of the game and if we want things like sponsorship deals and buying cars etc just look at how crap Fifa Manager is.

Lets not do this as just things to be fixed though- how about also putting in things we see in games that dont (or we dont think) happen in FM.

For me Id love to see:

* Shots coming down off the crossbar. Maybe controversy over whether it crossed the line or not if it comes out.

* Keeper mistakes like fumbles etc being flagged in commentary.

* Players running over the ball at freekicks.

* Quick freekicks.

* Players throwing themselves in the way of shots.

* Players shielding the ball to go out for a goalkick.

Would be great to see

* Goaline controversy - did it cross the line or not?

* Ball in Corner - Keeping the ball in the corner to waste time at a set piece

* Diving - does this happen in the game? If not, look out Didier...(i'm a Man Utd fan so unfortunately no Cristiano slagging icon14.gif)

I think the ball hitting the post does actually happen quite a lot in the game (from what i've seen) but maybe other people have had different experiences??

George Graham - I'm sure I've seen people throwing themselves in front of shots, and I've definitely seen people running over the ball at freekicks. I like the other suggestions though.

I like Gavin's suggestions too. icon14.gif

I'd also like to see the keeper getting sent off for handling outside the area very occasionally. It's a very rare event, so maybe it IS in the game though...

After reading the Fanzine article on "Domino Toppling" i think a problem with implementing these rare events is that by implementing them they end up happening too often, and you would then have people complaining that their keeper gets sent off for handling all the time. I think it must be incredibly hard for SI to get these things just right but i like the principle very much!

One improvement for the ME concerns players running away from, or right past, the ball. This often happens after set pieces, when players return to their default positions.

It might be worthwhile having players adopt a position relative to where they are on the field at least until they can find a "moment" to return to their default position.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GAVIN42:

After reading the Fanzine article on "Domino Toppling" i think a problem with implementing these rare events is that by implementing them they end up happening too often, and you would then have people complaining that their keeper gets sent off for handling all the time. I think it must be incredibly hard for SI to get these things just right but i like the principle very much! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs.

I'd never noticed that before Ackter, but you're right of course.

I'm certainly not one to request controversial incidents like drug tests, etc, but I was thinking that, in spite of the large number of bookings in the game, there never seems to be any spice in the game. I'd like to see:

<LI> Players sometimes seeking retribution for a late tackle. So if someone is booked fouling someone, that someone could get booked fouling the other person back. Of course this is rare IRL, so should be rare in the game.

<LI> I'd quite like to see the occasional mass brawl. Remember in the old Champ Man there was the occasional player hitting a ref? Well, instead of that, let's have a mass brawl, with the result that your club gets charged (and fined) with failure to control players.

<LI> More bookings for dissent. Also, when the commentary says that so and so is furious with the ref, let's see him and some colleagues harass the ref Chelsea style (God I hate John Terry). Again, this would lead your club into trouble, so you should be prompted to fine the player so that he won't do it again.

Just think Arsenal vs Chelsea in recent years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TSmith91:

Player fights, Mass brawls, crowd invasions, streakers, players dying of heart attacks in the middle of games.

Just a few things which I'd like to see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prat

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Players being clean through on an open goal.

Players storming off after a sub.

Players rounding the keeper.

A chip every so often, there were loads in CM but I never see it in FM.

Goalkeeper red card.

Pass back rule.

Players booked for over celebrating.

Manager getting sent off (this could rely on your reputation and temprement).

Oh yeah and a video of cheerleaders at half time rather than a team talk would go down a treat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Players being clean through on an open goal.

Players storming off after a sub.

Players rounding the keeper.

A chip every so often, there were loads in CM but I never see it in FM.

Goalkeeper red card.

Pass back rule.

Players booked for over celebrating.

Manager getting sent off (this could rely on your reputation and temprement).

Oh yeah and a video of cheerleaders at half time rather than a team talk would go down a treat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that last one is classic...

who cares about team talks! bring on cheerleaders NBA style! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFuzzyOne:

that last one is classic...

who cares about team talks! bring on cheerleaders NBA style! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preferably real video and not 2d please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TSmith91:

Player fights, Mass brawls, crowd invasions, streakers, players dying of heart attacks in the middle of games.

Prat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I just remind you of the ground rules please? I don't agree with TSmith's suggestions, either (apart from mass brawls) and his comment on players dying of heart attacks was tasteless in the extreme. But you have to respect others' views, even if they don't match your own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan_Returns:

GROUND RULES

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan_Returns:

Prat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I just remind you of the ground rules please? I don't agree with TSmith's suggestions, either (apart from mass brawls) and his comment on players dying of heart attacks was tasteless in the extreme. But you have to respect others' views, even if they don't match your own.

GROUND RULES

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I refuse to accept someones view that a real life person created in a computer game should have the ability to die. This given the argument from SI that we can't have players with drug bans due to legal reasons is particularly appropriate.

Given recent events it was highly distasteful and sickening in the extreme, to ask someone to bite their tongue on such a sensitive matter because of a few ficitous ground rules is quite ridiculous as is the interpretation that the statement is someone's actual view or suggestion.

Offer me an opinion and I will disagree (if necessary) politely, offer me a revolting slur and I will treat it with the contempt it deserves, as I did in my previous post.

I apologise GillsMan_Returns but IMO the reaction was understandable and justifiable.

Less of players throwing the ball directly out of play from a throw in.

Yellow cards for overly time wasting.

Underdog team actually trying something else other than time wasting in first half. I have played teams who take an age to take a throw in the first and second minutes.

More balanced one-on-ones. i.e. Bellamy gets one chance and puts it away, Torres gets ten and fails to score.

Players squaring up to each other after a bad tackle, maybe even other team mates getting involved.

More Xabi Alonso type shots when the keeper goes up for a last minute corner.

Defender going mad at team mate for playing a forward onside, if playing offsides.

Captain making some kind of effort to make his team play better.

Chipped penalties and players waiting for keeper to dive before hitting penalties.

Wingers dropping back to cover advancing fullback gap.

Less of players, in my experience mostly wingers, passing the ball into the position they have just vacated only for it to harmlessly run out of play.

The ability to send subs out to warm up. This could be to get some kind of lift from an underperforming player on the pitch....or maybe just so he can warm up to be brought on.

Opposition players putting the ball out for injured players, I have only seen players of the same team do this, instead of running around them like they are not there.

Injury feigning and players going mad at them for doing so.

Drop balls when ref stops play for bad injury.

And finally, a little circle with an M on it as my seven year old daughter constantly asks me which dot I am. She cannot grasp the concept of me sat in my real chair whilst everybody else has a representing circle.

i would like to see the comments being more informative. I mean, i would like it to inform me when there are man marking on my players like:

"your player dont have room to play"

or

"opp player is following your player all around"

or maybe tell me of some player not playing well or something.

I mean i dont want to watch the pitch everytime the AI changes tactics or to see if a player is not performing, i would like to have this info on the match comments. The game would play faster and ppl would understand better what is going on.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

It would also be useful if people were able to cite actual evidence, rather than just saying "currently this does this" with nothing to back it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, examples of these things happening would help a lot icon_smile.gif

Cheers Kriss (this thread was started by me, despite the different username!!).

I had another thought, I'm sure this must have been raised before:

<LI> When you're watching a penalty shootout, all the players are stood on the halfway line and are kind of mixed up. I'd like to see my team's players all standing together and the opposition's players all standing together.

<LI> Still on theme of shootouts; why does it take longer for the goalkeeper to walk from the side of his area to his position than for the penalty taker to trudge all the way from the halfway line?

It's the little things that add the right touches. icon14.gif

Totally agree with the cross bar one. Only ever seen it a couple of times and that was when the keeper tipped it onto the bar (Or at least it looked like that, never mentioned the bar in commentary). Never seen a ball actually straight out hit the bar and bounce down, or bounce up in the air.

I have seen the post hit lots of times in my games, seems about right to me.

Would like to see a manager sat in the dugout too, and maybe jump out of his seat after a bad decision or bad foul.

Would also like to see more one touch passing, never see any. The players always seem to take about 5 touches before they can do anything with it.

It still annoys me that when a ball is played over the top, the defender just stands there or runs the opposite way whilst the striker runs through on goal. Seems to happen all the time.

And another thing, again this must have been mentioned before:

<LI> there is a slight pause between the ball crossing the line for a goal and the flashing: GOAL TO GILLINGHAM!!! text whenever the goal is going to be disallowed. This means, you rarely cheer a goal to be disallowed, because you know instantly that it's going to be disallowed.

This might be a deliberate thing, because IRL, you hear the whistle of the referee. It's annoying though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Interesting point there about players rounding the 'keeper. I don't remember the last time I saw that happen in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'd like to second this point. It doesn't happen as often as we'd think IRL, but it certainly happens more IRL than we see in FM.

Oh, and I have to reconsider my point about not hitting the post enough. I've just hit the post twice in one match, so I'm happy that it does occur - maybe I've not been paying attention enough!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

* Shots coming down off the crossbar. Maybe controversy over whether it crossed the line or not if it comes out.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please no! That will just remind me about my diciplinary hearing last season icon_frown.gif

(Which the team that reported me, lost btw - coach was fined £150 icon_biggrin.gif)

The things I mostly want, is better implementation of the rules and more difference on how refs are acting(depending on their level), better ref and AR movements.

- Fix *indirect free kick crosses*.

Right now they mostly (almost always) go straight out for a goal kick.

- I would like an *individual width instruction* for each player.

I think this is the single most important thing missing from the tactics, right now. We have no way of telling our players to play closer to each other or further, unless we change the whole team setting.

- An *overlap instruction* would be great.

This would be set up exactly as the "swap player" instruction does, but it would cause the players to overlap instead.

Right now we can only do this longitudinally, by messing around with the forward runs. I think overlapping needs its own dedicated option in the individual tactics.

- More options for attacking set pieces positioning.

I've only just seen this thread and it makes a refreshing change for a thread like this to exist in GQ nowadays so I'll respond to the points others have made if that's ok, and hopefully this will give me a chance to come up with some ideas of my own while I'm going through it.

Well done GillsMan icon14.gif.

ps. Why the change from the grey <Gillsman> to the proper Gillsman? I always assumed that the < > meant the user had been banned icon_confused.gif.

1. Booking for midfielders icon13.gif. I must admit that although I found this s problem out of the box, I haven't ancountered a problem with this at all with 8.01. I would probably agree that defenders don't keg booked enough though icon14.gif.

2. Crossbar being struck. I saw it a few times and then not for ages and have already seen it struck 3 times in the opening 8 or 9 games this season. Doesn't get hit as mich as the post though so I suppose I would agree icon14.gif.

3. Injury time. Agree icon14.gif. It does seem too high too often for no real reason. If you are watchiung the full match and there are a spate of fouls or 1 team is time-wasting then fair enough, but the given is that there are an additional 2 minutes on top of what is announced and it can often be more.

4. Shots coming down off the crossbar. icon14.gif I like that one, and even straight up off the crossbar. It doesn;t always have to bounce straight back into play, it could go straight up and cause an almighty scramble underneath.

5. Keeper mistakes like fumbles etc being flagged in commentary. icon14.gif Yeah, and the weather playing a more importnat role in this sort of thing too.

6. Free-kicks. icon14.gif To be honest the set-pieces in general need work. I appreciate it must be a VERY hard area to work on, and I do think that things have moved on from FM07, but we need a bit of an overhaul on set-pieces in general, (both attacking and defensive).

7. Players throwing themselves in the way of shots. I know it's hard to tell from a little blob, but I thought that this happened already. It certainly seems like it to me.

8. Players shielding the ball to go out for a goalkick. Agreed icon14.gif.

9. Goaline controversy - did it cross the line or not? Yeah icon14.gif, similar to 2.

10. Ball in Corner - Keeping the ball in the corner to waste time at a set piece icon13.gif. Isn't this already in the game. I thought that if you instructed the players to time-waste, had a defensive mentality set and instructed free-kicks to be played short then this would happen. Time-wasting in other areas certainly seems more effective.

11. Diving - does this happen in the game? If not, look out Didier...(i'm a Man Utd fan so unfortunately no Cristiano slagging. Yeah, already a decent addition to the ME.

12. Mass Brawls. icon14.gif I would like to see this brought back in, if in deed it has been removed. The problem appears to be getting it to happen often enough within the right type of squad, but not too muvh accross the board. It should be the exception rather than the rule and something that you may go seasons and seasons without seeing.

13. Crowd invasions. No icon13.gif.

14. Streakers. No icon13.gif.

15. Players dying. I know this brings out strong feeling in people, (and as someone who's Uncle was in FM07 but passed away and is not now in FM08) I appreciate that it is an emotive issue. The counter argument I would provide to people who want to discuss the subject in a reasonable manner, is that the game already provides the oppsite end of the spectrum by you having the ability to bring your son through the ranks. I suppose it could be argues that if SI have introduced the ability for you to have children and for them to be included in the game, (which is an excellent addition although sadly not one that I have experienced), then it would only be right and fitting for the opposite end of the spectrum to be given the same chances. I can see the pro's and con's, but I must admit that I would be in favour of this being added to the game icon14.gif.

16. Keepers actually moving at corners and free kicks. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for this because I can't say that I've noticed icon_confused.gif.

17. Players sometimes seeking retribution for a late tackle. Yeah, afters. Like it icon14.gif. Sort of fits in with 12.

18. More bookins for dissent. Agreed icon14.gif. From too many in FM07 it's gone completely in FM08.

19. Less of players throwing the ball directly out of play from a throw in. Haven't ever seen that.

20. Underdog team actually trying something else other than time wasting in first half. Agreed icon14.gif.

21. More balanced one-on-ones. I think that's a given icon14.gif.

22. More Xabi Alonso type shots when the keeper goes up for a last minute corner. As someone who's GK has scored approachin 50 goals I can confirm that this not only happens but happens increasingly more often at a higher level. I think this is VERY well coded icon13.gif.

23. Defender going mad at team mate for playing a forward onside, if playing offsides. Yeah, like it icon14.gif.

24. Captain making some kind of effort to make his team play better. Haven;t got the foggiest how you wouldn implement something like that but I like the idea icon14.gif.

25. Chipped penalties and players waiting for keeper to dive before hitting penalties. I think this ties in with 6. Both attacking and defensive set-pieces need a lot of work icon14.gif.

26. Wingers dropping back to cover advancing fullback gap. If you get the tactical instructions correct I think this is already in the game icon13.gif.

27. Less of players, in my experience mostly wingers, passing the ball into the position they have just vacated only for it to harmlessly run out of play. Haven't noticed that I'm afraid icon13.gif.

28. Injury feigning and players going mad at them for doing so. Like it icon14.gif.

29. Drop balls when ref stops play for bad injury. It's part of the game. It's gotta be in there icon14.gif.

30 Players seperating at penalty shootout. Great idea. Sometimes they could all line up in a line and other times they could just sit in a group icon14.gif.

31. Manager jump out of seat. No, because that's us icon13.gif.

32. More 1 touch passing. I see plenty of that icon13.gif.

33. It still annoys me that when a ball is played over the top, the defender just stands there or runs the opposite way whilst the striker runs through on goal. Seems to happen all the time. Agreed. It's like the eegit defender is playing offside, (poorly), when you aren't trying to play offsides icon14.gif.

--------------------------------------------

Apologies. If Nomis07, TheFuzzyOne or somethinglessannoying suggested anything reasonable, I won't know because they are on my list.

---------------------------------------------

There are some brilliant ideas already but I have come up with acouple of average ones myself.

GK momentum forcing them out of the box on occasion when retrieving the ball on the edge of the area.

Subs warming up only behind referees assistant, not the whole length of the pitch, (courtesy of SiBHA).

I would like to see more headers and miss-kicks going straight up in the air.

Goal-kicks going straight off the pitch for GK's with poor kicking attributes.

Far more control over bothy attacking and fdefensice set-pieces. (In particular I want the ability to specify which player to man-mark which player at defensive set-pieces).

Excellent thread icon14.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

ps. Why the change from the grey <Gillsman> to the proper Gillsman? I always assumed that the < > meant the user had been banned icon_confused.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post, well thought-out responses to other suggestions, and some interesting ideas too. Regards the username, I used to post as GillsMan, but lost all my login details, so had to post as GillsMan_Returns, and created this post using that account. Today I found my login details for GillsMan so asked the mods to delete the GillsMan_Returns profile. icon14.gif

I like the idea with goalies coming out of the box due to their momentum and I'd like to see some goalies doing things like rushing out and heading the ball on occasion. I'd like more headers and miskicks going straight up in the air as well. Also, would definitely like to see goalies kicking the ball straight out of play. I went to the West Ham vs Man United game recently and Tomas Kuzsak kicked the ball straight out of play three or four times, so this should definitely be implemented. I'd love more options over free kicks and corners. For example, Gillingham used to have a great routine where the corner taker would stand over the ball, someone would run over as if it would be a short corner, but he'd then step over the ball and Nicky Southall would run from deep and spank the ball in from the edge of the area. It would be great if we could implement something similar. icon14.gif

I thought I had read in here that someone had requested that GK's should be more prone to come out theur goal and head the ball clear in certain situations.

I can't find it now bit I;ve just seen it happen. A lot of the time I don't think I'm aware of whether the GK headed it clear or hoofed it clear because the commentary is gone before I see it, but it was the case this time icon14.gif.

ps. Needless to say the ball went straight to an opposition player who slotted home from 40 yards but it's the thought that counts icon_biggrin.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I thought I had read in here that someone had requested that GK's should be more prone to come out theur goal and head the ball clear in certain situations.

I can't find it now bit I;ve just seen it happen. A lot of the time I don't think I'm aware of whether the GK headed it clear or hoofed it clear because the commentary is gone before I see it, but it was the case this time icon14.gif.

ps. Needless to say the ball went straight to an opposition player who slotted home from 40 yards but it's the thought that counts icon_biggrin.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic spot. It was me who suggested it, but you've raised an important issue (and other people have done in other suggestions, e.g. the ball hitting the crossbar), that these things do happen in the ME, but we don't always notice them. This is encouraging, because I was concerned about buying FM08 because of the amount of negativity about the ME. But there are quite a lot of important features that HAVE been included. The variety of the ME is very important, and I don't think it's anywhere near the disaster some believe it to be.

That said, and as SI themselves are often at pains to point out, there's always room for improvement, and hopefully some of the suggestions will be looked at.

Gills. Don't be worried about getting the game. Go out and buy it today.

It was awful out of the box, (don't get me started), but I think the 8.01 patch was pretty good, (less said about the beta patch the better).

There seem to be issues but nothing that can't be dealt with, (with the possible exception of the Spanish refistration bug).

The match engine is honestly excellent icon14.gif.

Hiya Jimbo - don't worry, I took the leap of faith and bought FM08 and it's absolutely fantastic. I'm completely hooked. I might come across as a bit of a fanboy, but that's not to say I think it's perfect or without its faults. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable game. I've patched it o/c.

I've opened a couple of threads discussing the ME, so yeah, go FM08! icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

I've opened a couple of threads discussing the ME, so yeah, go FM08! icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, I opened this thread! (Albeit, under a different username which has now been deleted).

Gills. I threw my toys out of my pram a bit over the state of the game out of the box, (ok I threw them out of the pram a lot), but I'm really enjoying the game at the moment even with the "grey" isuue and the problems with my favourite new feature "best eleven".

I'm really enjoying it icon14.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFuzzyOne:

hey, you have to admit cheerleaders were a good idea... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had them at Gillingham for one season IRL. A load of 11-14 year old Chatham girls. Queue chants of "get your t*ts out for the lads". Bit wrong really. Hideous idea in all honesty (IRL, anyway). icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

hey, you have to admit cheerleaders were a good idea... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had them at Gillingham for one season IRL. A load of 11-14 year old Chatham girls. Queue chants of "get your t*ts out for the lads". Bit wrong really. Hideous idea in all honesty (IRL, anyway). icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

man i had to see that. would have been classic. however, hormones would run wild though...

<LI> Whilst the 4th official signals the MINIMUM amount of overtime, this is usually adhered to IRL. It's only occasionally that it goes over the suggested minimum IRL, yet in the game it happens a bit too often in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably the biggest thing that annoys me about this game, regularly i have games going 90 seconds or more over the time given by the 4th official, and on a number of occaisons it has cost me goals(almost got me knocked out of the CL group stages in my last season as i dropped points in 2 group games due to this)

I have lost count of the amount of times that, when i draw or lose, the oppo goalie has had a blinder, whilst this has not affected my enjoyment too much i do find it a little unrealistic. I think in more cases IRL an oppo defender would have blinder and mark the star striker out of the game, or the strikers would have an off day and miss a lot of chances(see Torres etc versus Man City for instance, Joe Hart was not particularly great, but Dunne and Richards were incredible!!) This just needs to be tweaked a little IMO

Archived