Goal scoring full backs

In my entire time playing FM08 I've noticed that full backs never, ever seem to score from open play. This is despite my playing with quite attacking full backs, forward runs to often and a quite attacking mentality too. I tend to play with a fair amount of width and often have their crossing set to often provided they're good enough, and I'm really struggling to think of any time a full back has scored in open play across any of my team. I let the ones who can shoot take long shots too, the first time I've seen one take a shot even was today, and that was passed to him from a set piece. Is it just me and my tactics or what?

In my entire time playing FM08 I've noticed that full backs never, ever seem to score from open play. This is despite my playing with quite attacking full backs, forward runs to often and a quite attacking mentality too. I tend to play with a fair amount of width and often have their crossing set to often provided they're good enough, and I'm really struggling to think of any time a full back has scored in open play across any of my team. I let the ones who can shoot take long shots too, the first time I've seen one take a shot even was today, and that was passed to him from a set piece. Is it just me and my tactics or what?

I hardly have my fullbacks scoring as well. However, the reason could be because you are playing with width and crossing set to often like me. If the fullbacks are always in wide positions, it's hard to see them scoring goals. To score goals, they need to get into goal scoring positions, so maybe taking away the crossing might help?

I've seen full backs getting into better goal scoring positions in the demo compared to FM08 though they have yet to hit the net. So perhaps something has changed since

Full backs don't score many in real life though.

True, but they do score occasionally - take Belletti for Chelsea this season. He must have 'instructions' for take long shots often, run with balls moderate/often, fairly attacking mentality etc.

My first ever league game as AFC Wimbledon in the demo, Garrard scored for me in open play. Corner was headed out to the edge of the area and he rifled it back through into the top corner.

First and only FB goal I ever saw!

Archived