Ronaldo sold for £70m over my head......

for 70 million i wouldnt say its that annoying, you could buy 2 of the best players in the game for that price instead of having just one. And people go on here about the realism of the game, no club in the world would turn down that amount of money for any player so at least its realistic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboywonder:

for 70 million i wouldnt say its that annoying, you could buy 2 of the best players in the game for that price instead of having just one. And people go on here about the realism of the game, no club in the world would turn down that amount of money for any player so at least its realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I'd have to agree. £70,000,000 in FM World is enough money to but 1 proven world class player in C. Ronaldo's place, and 10 - 20 hopeful youngsters from around the world.

I'd love to be able to sell one of my players for that amount of money..!! (My highest fee so far is £1.6 mill

I wouldn't be too convinced of that tbh. Sure you could buy other players with the money, but quite frankly, they wouldn't be able to get anybody better than Ronaldo with it. Unless they're unable to pay their loan repayments or something, it really shouldn't happen.

Ronaldo's more right-sided than Messi, so its not really a like-for-like replacement.

I was also referring to real life rather than the game, although I obviously didn't make that clear. If it wouldn't automatically happen that way irl, it shouldn't really happen in the game.

IRL it's going to be interesting with Ronaldo.

Last year Fergie said it would take a "ridiculous" offer, at least over over 75 million pounds to prise Ronaldo away and Real & Barça needed to make a firm offer if they were serious. Otherwise Ronaldo is happy & staying put.

Again this year in the Spanish press, there's daily talk of Real & Barça putting bids together to bring him to Spain.

Can't see it happening whilst Fergie is still manager at United, but once he retires, who knows...

I feel your pain! Mike Ashley sold Rafael Van der Vaart for a measly 32million in late august 2010. At this point he's the best player in the world, has won European Midfielder of the year the last two years, and my team is basically built around him.

On the surface, it isn't that bad, I men IRL I'm sure newcastle would sell him for a lot less, and I have managed to bring in several quality young players; but Mikey expects me to be a title contender this season... I really think there needs to be a way to shout at your chairman... How exactly do you expect me to be a title contender when you sell my best players?!

Maybe if the balance was worrying I could understand, but we had comfortably 40million in the bank... pff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IRL it's going to be interesting with Ronaldo.

Last year Fergie said it would take a "ridiculous" offer, at least over over 75 million pounds to prise Ronaldo away and Real & Barça needed to make a firm offer if they were serious. Otherwise Ronaldo is happy & staying put.

Again this year in the Spanish press, there's daily talk of Real & Barça putting bids together to bring him to Spain.

Can't see it happening whilst Fergie is still manager at United, but once he retires, who knows... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference is that in England there are no mandatory minimum fee release clause so it is always at the manager/ Chief exec hands whereas in Spain there is always that possibility that nobody would have to make a decision ....Like the Luis Figo situation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oz:

The Glaziers would sell Ronaldo for £70mill, no doubt about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They'd sell him for 30. Be serious!

I get annoyed when any of my players get sold without my say so, however "easy" they are to replace. I get attached to certain players in my team and I like to keep a team together as long as possible so replacing a good player with another one, even if I make a profit, disrupts things icon_mad.gif

It's a bit naff anyway usually because your chairman sells the player because the deal is too good to refuse and then gives you all the money to go and spend on whoever you want anyway. Who is to say I'm not going to go and blow the whole lot on a bunch of total donkeys?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by asshole182:

10 jiggawits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol he was in dire need of a flux capacitor to stay as he didnt have a clue what he was doing icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

I get annoyed when any of my players get sold without my say so, however "easy" they are to replace. I get attached to certain players in my team and I like to keep a team together as long as possible so replacing a good player with another one, even if I make a profit, disrupts things icon_mad.gif

It's a bit naff anyway usually because your chairman sells the player because the deal is too good to refuse and then gives you all the money to go and spend on whoever you want anyway. Who is to say I'm not going to go and blow the whole lot on a bunch of total donkeys?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree.

This and the way board confidence has been implemented shows how poorly conceived recent new features in FM have been.

Not only are the features not fully fleshed out, and never realised enough it shows a blatent disregard or realisation as to how these features can ruin a game that someone has pored over for months.

SI if your going to put in features that can have a huge effect on the player then you need to damn well make them watertight, or at the very least make some effort to give the player some influence into proceedings.

Ive always been against difficulty levels and unsackable options but with the half-arsed way SI add new features and fail to improve or fix them over time I feel that players should be given options to turn off certain unpredictable features or be unsackable- as at times these features ruin games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alfynandrew1:

I think you should be able to offer an ultimatium to cancel the deal.... Cancel the deal or i quit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats actually a very good suggestion. When it says the board has gone over your head, it should come up at the bottom right hand corner like it does when they reject a request, giving you the chance to offer an ultimatum. You'd only use it on your best players when you feel the offer isn't good enough, and should be coded that they actually do back down sometimes...only on the very best players though.

I tend to find if the chairman accepts the bid for the player offer him a new contract with better terms,and more often than not he will sign it and that stops the proposed bid from the other club.

But they do need to stop this anyway it is quiet un-realistic, but then I find the whole transfer thing on it to be a bit rubbish.

I did that once or twice in FM07, but then the club comes back with another bid the day after and you just paid a whopping great signing fee as well as the pay rise so you can't keep doing it. Either that or the player wants to move to a bigger club so won't sign anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oz:

The Glaziers would sell Ronaldo for £70mill, no doubt about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They'd sell him for 30. Be serious! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they wouldnt.

That is a good amount for him, but in the current game I am running, I am the manager of Sutton Utd, Man U sold him for 11700000 at the end of the second season. Roma dished out the cash and I thought, wow, that was an amazing price to pay for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

They'd sell him for 30. Be serious! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tit

It's a feature of FM08 that boards will sell a player for well over his valuation - or around about his valuation if the finances are shot.

£70m sounds about right for a club with as much debt as Man U. Ask people playing as Liverpool - they have it much worse.

Playing as Leeds I had multiple offers for Breno, but our finances were so stable my (new) chairmen allowed me to continue rejecting offers. In another game I lost one of my star defenders to West Ham despite them only bidding 1m over his value. Annoying, but can live with it.

Money money money... always funny... unless you're an FM gamer with a lot of debt...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LSF07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alfynandrew1:

I think you should be able to offer an ultimatium to cancel the deal.... Cancel the deal or i quit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats actually a very good suggestion. When it says the board has gone over your head, it should come up at the bottom right hand corner like it does when they reject a request, giving you the chance to offer an ultimatum. You'd only use it on your best players when you feel the offer isn't good enough, and should be coded that they actually do back down sometimes...only on the very best players though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very good suggestion indeed icon14.gif

I dont have a problem with clubs setting ridiculous asking prices for world class players, to put off AI teams and Human managers.

On our part it is up to us to pay £50m+ for a player, BUT This should not be the same for the AI teams, the AI teams should not be paying reckless amounts for players!!

I understand why SI have implemented amazingly high asking fees to stop the best players moving easily, but the Ai should recognise this and not pay the daft amounts.

To be honest, I don't think 70 million pounds is a daft amnout of money for Ronaldo. In my humble opinion he is THE future of football. Physically very strong, fast, excellent technique, brilliant shot, good at headers, brilliant positioning, exquisite dribbling, and so forth. Marc Overmars, David Beckham and Luis Figo weren't sold for a lot less. And Real Madrid at the moment is always claiming (although it might not be true admittedly) that they would spend 80 million euros on Kaka. Anyway, it's all speculation but in conclusion I dont think the amount of money paid for Ronaldo is very unrealistic.

I paid £61million to bring him to Barcelona in my fourth season. In fairness United had just finished sixth, so he was available at a 'knockdown' price.

Although as I've described in another thread, Arsenal seem to think that Leo Messi is worth just £29million, and bid that amount every week that a transfer window is open. Gets quite annoying I must admit.

I'd say £70million is cheap for Ronaldo. I considered it a bargain when I got him for £61million. Damn idiot chairman. icon_rolleyes.gif

I took over HSV and a start of new season clubs wanted van der vaart so i slapped 18 mill for him because i wanted him to stay and then Man City came in with a bid of 12 mill the board accepted it saying its to good to refuse and he joined them without my consent which in turn stuffed my team up for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca69:

TBH David Silva is the best player on the game apart from Daniel Alves so id sell him for that money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thats not true. They might have the best attributes but in FM a strong second foot is more important then attributes and both those players are 1 footed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

It's a feature of FM08 that boards will sell a player for well over his valuation - or around about his valuation if the finances are shot.

£70m sounds about right for a club with as much debt as Man U. Ask people playing as Liverpool - they have it much worse.

Playing as Leeds I had multiple offers for Breno, but our finances were so stable my (new) chairmen allowed me to continue rejecting offers. In another game I lost one of my star defenders to West Ham despite them only bidding 1m over his value. Annoying, but can live with it.

Money money money... always funny... unless you're an FM gamer with a lot of debt... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye this is how it works in my experience. If you keep strict financial control (i.e. keep wages well below budget and bank balance well above zero) the board are much less likely to intercede and sell off your players.

Something I've noticed which may or may not be true is that the state of club finances on the first day of the season (the day after the season summary, when the board announce expectations etc) are crucial in determining board interference. It's often tempting to try and spend the remains of your transfer budget in the close season, particularly if you've made a few sales over the course of the season, but in my experience it's usually better to hold back and wait till the start of the new season as the state of your finances will impact not only on your tranfer budget but will also dictate your wage structure (max monthly wage etc) and the level of board interference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldo sold for £70m over my head...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does seem reasonable. My question is, did the Glazers give you the £70m for transfers, or did they trouser the cash?

Archived